March 24th, 2010

Health Care Reform Missing: Join the Live Chat

Lawmakers have been putting off one health care fix for years and it's not part of the reform bill.  If something isn't done a large number of doctors could stop accepting a large number of patients.  We're keeping them honest. Plus,  the death threat made against the mayor of Juarez, Mexico that arrived in a bloody bag.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rod

You never see kids playing outside anymore! Bring PE back to the schools!

March 24, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Arnie

Anderson, We Americans need to take a deep breath. When you're in your house, you may not know what others a going through and we Americans know how to suffer in silence and pretend. Give credit to him who credit is due. The President achieved what no President has ever accomplished. I say it again, President Obama has achieved what none has achieved. Some of us may not like it because he;s Black, especially Republicans. Johne McCain, the election is over. Your temparement will not allow you to be president.

Please give President Obama his due credit.

March 24, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Kim- Ohio

These stories about obesity are so sad.

March 24, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

This story is scary to me and I just turned 28 yr old on last Sunday. i really need to lose 100 pounds.

March 24, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Sharon Hastings

Hopefully this won't sound like one of those stories about walking miles to school uphill both ways, but I don't remember obesity being a problem when I was growing up. There might have been maybe one child in the class who was overweight but now I see so many obese kids I can't believe it. We never watched calories or fat per se but we also were outside all the time playing, riding bikes, and walking everywhere.

March 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Renee

I think all of us that are concerned about this issue show these Dr. Gupta reports to our children. I showed my children the report from last night. Daughter cried and son was upset.

March 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Patricia

oh dear – what are parents thinking...

March 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  8. starr, formerly known as vincent

almost all of my family are obeses. there is me and my youngest sister that have normal weight (and we both have hypothyroid disease).

both of us have worked very hard thoughout our life to keep ourselves at a normal weight.

we have done it by education on learning how to eat and especially exercise. we avoid fast food completely (always did) and eat very little meat.
    it is a fight, but a fight that is well worth it!

March 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  9. renee, ohio

Mike, it must be the same "vast majority" of Tea Party members I'm not seeing on TV. I have only seen nasty signs, heard nasty remarks now escalated to not so thinly veiled threats of bodily harm and death. Even family members as "collateral damage". If there are less radical voices in the crowd, those voices better speak up loudly soon to control there maniac members.

March 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Heather - Spokane, WA

Sprite is so sugary I cant even handle a half of one let alone 5

March 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Devin

Chubby is natural and it looks good on people who are natueraly like that but I cant stand this! night!

March 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  12. nikki

I remember being a kid and going to the family doctor. Most of the time 2 or 3 family members would go in at one time and he'd charge for 1 person, maybe 2 out of the 3 people in the family. Insurance companies were not involved. The doctor called the shots. Oh yea, he knew your name and everyone else in the family's name. God I miss that and those doctors who were invested in the family.

March 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Robert Culp was my favorite actor, he was so funny man I have many movies!!!!! Peace in Rest!!!! My heart goes to Robert's friends, co-workers, and family! 🙁

March 24, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Debby, MI

We've needed health care reform -basic health care for all of America for many many years. It is finally HERE! Sure there are going to be issues that need to be worked on. I also wish the political parties would have been more respectful to each other while debating this- it is NOT about the party but what is best for the American people! They certainly set a poor example for our children when we trying to teach them to respect each other and differences of opinion.

March 24, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  15. Devin

OMG there Fat!!! what horrible parents!

March 24, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Lynne, CNN has published lists of how Congressmen voted. How is that different than Palin doing it?

March 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Sabrina in Los Angeles

So sad that more children are in the Obese range.

My daughter was classed as pre-diabetic because of school lunch food.

She is now in the correct range once I got to assist with that change.

I am glad that schools are trying to take sugar out of schools.

March 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Renee

Folks...food is NOT love!

March 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Karen, MN

Kids need to move their bodies.

March 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Emily

@Nancy,
    Yes, there are some that make the News, and others that just go about their lives! (talk about it at the dinner table, etc.).
    That doesn't make the news!

March 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Elizabeth Shepardson

I have just watched your piece on primary care physicians. I am disappointed that no one has made it clear that it is not the doctors or other providers who set fees. It is the insurance companies who require their providers to be "in network" What that means is that we have to agree to their fee or we can choose not to be in network and then cannot treat patients who have that particular insurance.

I am also disappointed that no one thinks it is important that we therapists have not had a fee increase for nearly 6 years with some insurance companies, others have rolled back fees because of the 'difficult economic climate", some have increased our fee by a few dollars. I look forward to someone who has enough courage to take the insurance companies and their billions of dollars in profits in hand and expose their stranglehold on health care. Maybe their profits should be put to use in paying for the new health care plan.

March 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Nancy in Oregon

I agree Nathaniel ali....it is domestic terrorism.

March 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Nell

I find the behavior and comments made by extremists in the GOP to be frightening. I also find some of the comments on this page are a good example of how rumors and the lack of understanding of the health care bill and still rampant. These rumors and misconceptions are being passed on by GOP members and health care providers who don't want to see a change in the system. Before people allow themselves to be scared to death about this bill, they should take responsibility to read the bill themselves. Don't just take someone's word for it. People – use your critical thinking skills!!!

March 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Zenovia

Hi Anderson,

Some of the Rep on the hill and others may think the Tea Party threats are cute, until some nut job goes too far and someone is shot, then all of the people that were dropping hints on their website will be charged with accessory to murder. Rep leaders need to come out strong against the threats before someone gets hurt and Rep. will pay dearly in Nov at the ballot box.

March 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Mike

Why cant the folks in Washington realize that they are not helping this country? I realize they cant make a Health Care Bill that everyone will agree on, but there is more problems in the US right now other than Health Care. Get jobs back, get the unemployment rate down, then lets tackle Health Care.

March 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  26. starr, formerly known as vincent

I loved Robert Culp. God bless him and my respects and condolences to his family, friends and fans.

March 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh yes!!!! Beat 360 is so perfect both of captions!!!!! LOL!!!!! I love that one!!!! Congrats Joey and KP! 🙂
    Hi Christine!!!!!!

March 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Renee

Get ready for the more educated doctors going to boutique medicine. It is all over Florida right now. Ads popping up in magazines etc. I am sure all the major cities are going to go to this especially in NYC, LA, DC, Dallas, Oklahoma City and Miami.

Depending on your age and your requirements annual fees are ranging from $1,200 to $20,000 per person to have your doctor on retainer.

March 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Carrie Ca,

@Sonya, TN I happy to hear that your son will be a Physician this is fantastic we need allot more Dr. just like your son,

March 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

I agree Lynne. She should remove that immediately from her website.

March 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Cathy

While I don't imagine anyone condones these wing nuts, I think you should report on those both from the far right and the far left. For example, Congressman John Dingell's comment to a Detriot radio host : "It takes a long time to do the necessary administrative steps that have to be taken to put the legislation together to CONTROL THE PEOPLE"
    And I thought the health care bill was supposed to be about helping people, not controlling them.......

March 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think the American people are "embracing" this health care bill. Most of them don't even understand it! By the time they realize what it is it will be too late.

March 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  33. JC, Capitol Hill

This 12 year old child is morbidly obese. I wish him well. He seems very nice.

March 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Emily

Congrats to K.P. That was very funny & clever! 😀

March 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  35. nathaniel ali

Threse threat on public officials and breaking windows amount to nothing short of Domestic Terorrism. Where are the authorities that are supposed to arrest people for those type of crimes? If that were someone of color who were making those threats, they would have been converged on by hundreds of squad cars and men in black suits and shades, thrown up under the jails and forgotten about. But because they were "good 'ole boys" they were "just playing." They should be arrested for domestic terrorism

March 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Rich

Since many young Children use Facebook and can see Palins page.
    Should kids be exposed to these messages... On Facebbok..?
    What a role model.

March 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Nancy in Oregon

Amen to that Mike in TX...cut out the childishness and posturing for one team or another and work together for a change! Is that so unheard of for adults?! I wish you good journey in this.

March 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Emily

Richard Heene, Science Detective! 😛

March 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  39. nikki

@Renee; Don't worry. Time will fix it. Doctors won't have a choice but to take on seniors. Baby boomers will soon comprise the majority.

March 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

Laundry thief?! GROSS Well at least it's clean.

March 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  41. JC, Capitol Hill

Laundry thief?? Seriously??

March 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Sherri

Richard Heene, in my opinion, is getting off pretty easy for what he did.

March 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I have medicard right now in my purse... I always have appointment different doctors, But they willing pay for me, I am disabled and deaf. I think the healthcare will help me or not.

March 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Charlotte Scurry texas

Andeson when will you and the 360 team go back to Port a Prince?

March 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Emily

RIP Robert Culp!

March 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Heather

Garry
    I agree she is a threat.
    The whole thing about baby killing is more lies aborations are already banned from being paid for with federal money. The republicans are teaching our children to use violence and fear tatics to get thier way. I want health care reform. I've been to the UK hospitals. You go in get fixed and go home the whole visit was under 20 min. Here you would be still filling out the paperwork of how your going to pay. I changed jobs I've been unable to get health care for 2 years, my daughter can't get to the doctor either. They count your income not your outflow of funds.

March 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Sonya, TN

Question for the NO's on healthcare reform, dont you think we should go ahead and pass the public option ti drive down cost? The middle is not a good place to stay.

March 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  48. David, Indiana

Thank you for getting into the Doctor fix as it is called. How do physicians handle the missing reimbursements from year to year if they keep seeing medicare patients?

Good to hear about the upswing in Primary Care doctors, maybe just the call and need gets med students to enter that area of practice.

March 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Lynne

What do think about Sarah Palin's posting of Democrats who voted for the HC bill ? It not so subtley is encouraging gun violence. She's crossed a very dangerous line here in this type of inflammatory rhetoric that promotes murder.

March 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Garry, i dont think palin is exaggerating either, especially if there is something like that on her website and with how many followers she has

March 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |