March 24th, 2010

Health Care Reform Missing: Join the Live Chat

Lawmakers have been putting off one health care fix for years and it's not part of the reform bill.  If something isn't done a large number of doctors could stop accepting a large number of patients.  We're keeping them honest. Plus,  the death threat made against the mayor of Juarez, Mexico that arrived in a bloody bag.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nancy in Oregon

I'm sure you're right, Emily....and those are the ones who need to loudly denounce the violence and the violent speech.

March 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Emily

Is there a problem with eating disorders with these children?
    If not now, is there a higher % that they will be susceptible to one in their future?

March 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Jim

Isn't it that the voting (Health Care Reform) took place in a democratic forum? Isn't it that in a democratic forum like your congress, All of America is well represented? Isn't it America is a democratic country? Well, to the Republicans, accept it!!! Live with it!!! that's life. Your always preaching about your American way of life. Be good examples for the world cause the world is watching you. practice what you preach

March 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

good evening, all!

March 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Chris

Anderson the 32,000 million uninsured have not been going without health care and will not exactly overrun the system!!

They have been flooding emergency rooms, and small clinics.

We all have been paying for their health care through "cost shifting" via higher charges for those of us who have insurance and can pay the co-pays and most of all through ad valorem hospital taxing districts.

Trust me they have been, in many ways, responsible for some of the run up in costs. Let'smake the system work for everyone!!!

March 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Claus

It should not be a surprise that there is such an uproar about the healthcare bill since the majority of citizens were opposed to it. But casting votes is the only way to express ourselves.

March 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Nancy in Oregon

I get so weary of people saying that it's their emotion and anger that got the best of them...what do they think gets the best of people who kill?

March 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Mike in TX

Final post tonight.. My oncologist has told me if they don't fix the 21% cut issue they will have to stop the chemo treatments that are currently working on my leukimia. They can not put out thier own monies to pay for my treatment. I can understand that. It's a bipartisian failure over the history of this thing and they all need to shut up and come together to fix it. I see several hundred folks where I go that can't wait til Nov or we won't be here.

March 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  9. starr, formerly known as vincent

2david-indiana

agree with your post, but expecially liked the giant squids part.

March 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Bob

Alaskan blogs have reported these actions by Palin for months. It's documented in numerous stories. Just report it... instead of talking about a Book that someone else wrote for her.

March 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Renee

The primary care doctors are now employing Nurse Practioners in their practices. The NP is good for routine stuff like sinus infection or ear infection. We have clinics in the grocery stores in FL where you can see a NP. It is a very, very affordable and convenient alternative.

March 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  12. jane - Vt

@ Sonya, that's great. Primary Care and Pediatricians should be the heroes, not the specialists. They work long, hard hours and aren't paid nearly enough.

March 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Serban

It is great that the bill passed but how are we going to pay for all this?

March 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Nancy in Oregon

I agree Mike...I'm sure the vast majority do. That vast majority needs to soundly and swiftly denounce the violence.

March 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Emily

@Dan Stewart,
    Not all Republicans "embraced" those "extremists in the Tea Party"!

March 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Dianne

I think that Republicans inciting these threats should face charges and be removed from office. Anyone caught making verbal and/or physical threats should be arrested and prosecuted. If they completely lost it mentally, have them committed to a mental behavioral facility for treatment. We're worried about terrorists outside of our country when we have to fear for our lives now at home not knowing who will take a gun to anyone other than a Republican. Shame of them! The only thing that I can do is pray for these sick people!!!

March 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The vast majority of Tea Party people are protesting fiscal irresponsibility. This bill embodies that. The vast majority also practice nonviolent peaceful protest.

March 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Sonya, TN

My son is going to be a Primary Care Physician, Look out Here he comes in 2020! if the lord is willing

March 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Helen

I am done with healthcare! Can we move on?

March 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Derek

These people have a long history of psychotic/manic behavior.

March 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Charlotte Scurry texas

My parents are both seniors I hope their doctor does not drop them because they are both are not in good health

March 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Claus

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    Yes, just as the current healthcare bill's cost is grossly underestimated.

March 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Stephanie

The medicare fix is the amendment the gop should have been offering instead of those ridiculous games they are playing. i need the dem and rep to be working for me. i pay taxes for both parties to have health insurance

March 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  24. garry

Since the republicans like to exaggerate here goes: Sarah is advocating the murder of democratic leaders by her crosshairs and "reload" statement. Although, I am not sure she is exaggerating

March 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Renee

I am having surgery on Monday. I have had to call around to a few places to get everything in order. Apparently I sound like a senior on the telephone. The doctor, the surgery center and the lab is no longer taking Medicare effective as of Friday. I have private pay insurance so it is a not a problem for me. I just wonder how many other FL doctors will be leaving the system especially with all the seniors and snowbirds here.

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Dan Stewart

The Republicans embrace these extremists in the Teat party because they are the only people left that support them. It is now the most radical and extreme that support the party now, these people are dangerous.

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gloria, Brooklyn, NY
    Yes! Agreed! 🙂

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The original cost of Medicare was estimated at $12 billion. It's been underestimated by tow orders of magnitude.

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Emily

They had to take that out ($210 Billion) did they not?
    This is something that they knew about....

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Sharon Hastings

I wish there were many others things included in the health care bill but we barely got this one passed. Hopefully we can build on what we have for further improvements. And more emphasis on prevention, early intervention, and promotion of healthy lifestyles.

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  31. renee, ohio

Michael, I agree with your comments. They wrap themselves in the flag and scream hateful racial remarks while standing atop a Bible. The only thing un seen are the whit sheets and hoods.. I bet they are next. I also agree strongly with opinion about the !st amendment. How about how wacky Glen Beck is- very scary stuff.

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Nell

The members of the GOP and right-wing extremists who are inciting violence against the Democrats should be ashamed of themselves. What kind of message are they sending to our children? In a world where children are being raised on "Reality TV" it is already difficult to teach children to respect others and to behave in dignified manner. If our political leaders are "slapping" the face of their opponents and encouraging people to think of democrats as targets (aren't we glad Sarah Palin isn't in office?) how are we to instill goodness and respect in our youth? Thanks a lot!

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Cindy

Medicare has been going downhill for years. I don't see how it is still going. With this new bill it will get even worse I fear. No doctors will want to deal with patients who are on it.

March 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Vonda Price

Everyone in Congress needs to realize they of course lead and govern, but setting a good example is of great neccessity to our children and the future of this country. Death threats, sour grapes, and bashing and little cooperation is totally inappropriate. The Republicans are clearly not the respecting the Speaker of the House or the President. Look at what President Bush did to cripple our Nation and plunge into an unneccessary war of great expense. Why were the Republicans silient at that time. Now that we are finally moving in a positive direction they don't have the ability to praise their opponents for being victorious. As a retired educator I know that the Democrats historically are for the working man. And frankly, I am over Wall Street coming out ahead. It's time for the poor and middle man to shine. I thank the Democrats, and punish those who are acting demonic.

March 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  35. misty

Isn't it illegal to "publicly" threaten a person's health and property?

I can't help but think that if I posted these comments against an average citizen I would find myself enjoying the decor of a police stations' interrogation room! Why aren’t people like Sarah Palin being held accountable?

March 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Ellen

Seems to me that media coverage tends to focus on the extremes. While threats, violence and name calling are wrong, so are lies, cheating and stealing. After a full year of deteriorating moral standards by all of our so-called leaders and obvious misrepresentation of facts in order to support one side or the other, for extremists to respond in kind is hardly surprising.

March 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Dulcie - Denver

This is the sort of thing I was afraid of. I really don't want to paint all conservatives with the same brush, but I'm appalled that the Republicans are fanning the flames of hate. Boehner should have appeared ON camera and denounced these acts in as strong language as possible. Then again, this is the party that was egging on the verbal assaults last weekend. They won't be happy until blood is drawn

March 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Linda

Hi Anderson,
    I am appalled by the behavior of our elected officials (mainly the republicians). Clearly, they have forgotten why they are there and who they are there to serve, the people not the party. It's time they get their heads out of the sand ,our country needs health care for all like other countries. If they can't say something constructive, say nothing at all.

Linda
    Danville,Vt

March 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Claus

It is very inappropriate to reduce payment to providers. This would be the beginning of the reduction in quality of healthcare that so many feared would happen if the bill was passed.

March 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Good Evening Anderson, 360 crew, Heather, Megan D, Emily, Dodie, Starr, Isabel and everyone!
    I hope you all had a great Wednesday!
    I am really busy this days, but I miss you all so I came today to the live chat!

March 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Sonya, TN

M mom is on medicare and there is already a lot of physicians in TN that doesn't accept medicare

March 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Pat Cooper

Recent violent attacks on Democratic offices are acts of Domestic Terrorism against all of us, not just elected officials.

March 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  43. JC, Capital Hill

Well there you have it folks, the CNN Magic Wall Mirror cannot lie: the public is starting to like and accept HC Reform..

March 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Karen

Time to return to civility and the ability to disagree without resorting to inflammatory tactics. America wants its democracy to be a model around the world not something to be jeered at or feared because of violence when one side loses.

March 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Kathryn

Anderson this is an all out war on president Obama and anyone who supports him by republicans and their terrorist cronies.

All this hate and tirany is because president is black and not on healthcare.

Black people need to open their mouths now and say enough is enough! Why spit on the black politician? It is all about racism and not healhcare.

Republicans need to go sit and come up with a job proposal for Americans rathe rthan breed hate and crime!

March 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Emily

@David, Indiana,

I don't think that there is enough superior people going into poltics like there once was!
    Also, the # of people that actually turn out and vote is not very disappointing!

March 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Phyllis

What really puzzles me is how a law that does not have public support get voted in by the very people who are in Washington to represent those same people? Perhaps there should be an overall change of who "works" for us, those there now have lost sight of their duty – instead it seems politics ailed NOT the people. Term limits might also alleviate staying too long and losing sight of what the people want.

March 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Ray

This is despicable behavior.If threat makers can be identified,I don't see why charges can't be brought against them.This has to be nipped in the bud.These people are threatening civil war and secession.If they arn't taken seriously and confronted with legal action,this can escalate like a forrest fire.Republican leaders have been appealing to the baser instincts of their followers for a long time and this is the result.

March 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Dan in WV

I think this is childish behaviour. We have a Democratic Country.
    Do we like it or not? Not everything can go our way all the time.
    Sometimes I think people are just afraid of the unknown, when in reality they may eventually benefit by it. I say we have our elected officials and they have done thier job. Let's get on board with it.

March 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Jane - WI

I heard this from the President before the vote on the health insurance bill (it's not health care reform) -- if you don't like the results of this bill being passed, there are elections coming up in November. Unfortunately, once this terrible bill was passed, it becomes very hard to roll it back. the election in November is too late. The damage has already been done by the gang that is in Congress and the White House.

March 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm |