March 24th, 2010

Are you overweight?

Program Note: Part one of a three-part series on childhood obesity airs tonight on AC360° at 10pm ET.

From the CDC: Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a person's weight and height. BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Childhood Obesity • Health Care • Obesity
  1. Jennifer - Michigan

My bmi is 21.50. However, I think a lot of it is attributed to good genes and a high metabolism. Both of my kids are thin as well (they love their vegetables). On the other hand, some people are predisposed to become over weight – not making excuses for them – just saying that some people have to work at it much harder than others.

March 24, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  2. Donna

I am obese according to BMI, but fit into size 7 in women's clothing. BMI is a horrible way to measure weight, as muscle weighs more than fat. Many Olympic athletes are overweight or obese according to BMI and can we really say that they aren't fit and have the same health risks?

March 24, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  3. Elizabeth TX

My BMI is 49%. I am a 45 year old on Medicare due to work injuries. My weight is the cause of continued disability ( back , hip and knee pain).; morbid obesity and hypertension. It has been recommended that I have the gastric sleeve susrgery. I can't find a doctor that accepts Medicare. I want to be healthy and able to return to my nursing career. I am working on eating enough. Yes, I under eat. One meal a day.

March 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  4. sukhy

No, I am not over weight (anymore) I have battled with weight issues in the past however, was able to understand that healthy eating, exersise, plenty of water and dedication were the 4 things I needed most. If it's a Thyroid issue or another medical issue which may keep someone from exersising – I can sympathize. OTHERWISE get off the couch, put away the doritos and don't go to mcdonalds for dinner!

March 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  5. Gwen

My BMI is in the overweight category (by 2 pounds). However, I work out seven times a week and have a greater amount of muscle that most people. It needs to be pointed out that BMI is not an accurate measurement for those who are very athletic or who bodybuild.

March 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Kristen, MD

Well I had to estimate my weight, its been years since I've been on a scale. But my BMI was 18.9. I checked my mothers and it was 27.5. Time to drag her to the gym with me and make her watch your report tonight.

March 23, 2010 at 9:20 pm |
  7. Jackson

I'm not overweight, but I hurt for those who are. I have many friends who struggle, and it is hard to watch, I can feel their pain...they smile but you know they carry a true burden. Good topic Anderson !!

March 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
  8. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I think the first thing parents can do is be a good model for your children.

There are days that I don't want to lunch, but I want my son eats lunch and this not always happen. If I do not give an example, how can I asked him?

March 23, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  9. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

what better way to make the child lose weight and maintain weight loss?

March 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  10. Lisa A., Philadelphia, PA

Yup, but I've lost over 40 lbs in 1.5 years and am still slowly going down. Soon I will be at a healthy BMI. OR, my other standard response: I am not fat, I am big boned 😉 – of course, i did just eat a cupcake. Looking forward to the piece tonight.

March 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  11. Ashley

I think BMI is a pretty flawed measurement that doesn't take a lot of other physical factors into consideration.

March 23, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  12. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Based on the height and weight my son has a healthy weight. His BMI is 15.9 , placing the BMI-for-age at the 62nd percentile for boys aged 4 years 2 months.

My BMI is 24.9 and I'm on limit. Based on my height and weight 25.0 is overweight. So I have to be careful. Thanks!

March 23, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  13. Nikolai

I am really looking forward this series. I sell natural low calorie snacks and drinks for children and am so passionate about the subject. CO is not a phase, kids don't grow out of it. Forget terrorist...we are losing our country and our kids to food and our public education system. Losing!

March 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  14. Ginna

I am and I have no excuse I exercise on my breaks will need to do more I have a treadmill waiting for me at home there is no excuse just lazy

March 23, 2010 at 6:47 pm |