March 22nd, 2010

Evening Buzz: Health Care Fight Not Over

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/POLITICS/03/22/senate.health.care.ahead/story.senatelogo.gi.jpg caption="The U.S. Senate is set to tackle the House-approved health care reform reconciliation bill." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

The fight over health care is far from over. Yes, the House approved sweeping reform last night. Pres. Obama will sign that legislation into law tomorrow at the White House. But there's also the separate compromise package that still needs approval from the Senate. No members of the GOP backed the House vote yesterday and Republicans in the Senate are vowing to do whatever they can do to try and stop the $940 billion plan from getting approval.

Tonight on 360° we have the raw politics and raw emotion and we'll show you what this all means for you and your family.

Here are some of the immediate changes that will take effect with Pres. Obama's signature:

– Insurance companies will no longer be able to cancel or deny policies to children due to pre-existing conditions.
– Insurance plans would also have to cover the cost of certain preventive care & not include that care in deductibles.
– They also will not be able to place lifetime caps on policy payouts.
– Young adults will be eligible to stay on their parents' insurance plans until they turn 26

Though, keep in mind, most of the significant changes don't take effect until 2014. We'll run through the timeline for you.

We'll also talk with Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Michigan, who made the last-minute deal with the White House that called for Pres. Obama to issue an executive order guaranteeing that the health care bill would not change existing limits on federal funding for abortion. When Rep. Stupak delivered a speech on the House floor last night defending the deal you heard someone call out "baby killer." Texas Republican Rep. Randy Neugebauer revealed today he was the one connected to the outburst. Though, he insists he said "It's a baby killer", in reference to the deal itself, not to Congressman Stupak himself. Neugebauer has apologized to Mr. Stupak. We'll dig deeper on the heated moment with the Michigan congressman.

As I mentioned, there's still the Senate vote on the series of changes. Republicans say they'll use any and all legislative tactics to try and stop the reconciliation bill from passing. Those tactics can include unlimited objections and amendments. If any of those amendments pass, it has to go back to the House. We'll talk about the maneuvering with CNN's Dana Bash on Capitol Hill.

There's also the battle brewing in at least 11 states to try to block the legislation. Once Pres. Obama signs the bill into law tomorrow several attorneys general are planning legal challenges, claiming it's unconstitutional to require all Americans to carry health coverage or face a fine. Today White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the Obama administration expects to win any lawsuits filed against the bill. Anderson will talk with Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff about his state's pending legal fight.

With all of this as a backdrop, Pres. Obama plans to hit the road to sell the reform to skeptical Americans. He'll give a speech Thursday in Iowa City, Iowa. That's where he first launched his push for reform in May 2007, before becoming president. The president and his party could take big hits over this in the November mid-term elections. We'll talk that over, as well, with our panel of experts tonight.

What do you think of the bill passed and the battles still to come? Sound off below.

Join us for all the angles tonight at 10 P.M. ET. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Ryan

What could insurance companies do before 2014 to rake in as much cash as possible? Could there be premium-gouging so-to-speak?

March 23, 2010 at 3:00 am |
  2. francisco

The means do not justify the Bill. The bill sound noble but look at the massage and the example we have just send to other 3rd would democracies. Cheat the system to get what you want, imagine what corrupted governments have just learn and will use to get what they want. We have tout other a horrible thing, think of what we have just done and unleashed... Think Venezuela's president. We are supposed to lead in the democracy process, not follow bad democracies.

In the wrong hands the way this heath care bill was past, is not good.

March 23, 2010 at 3:00 am |
  3. Ray Gardner

It is unfortunate that there is such hatred and animosity permeating through many halls in the US today surrounding the subject of universal health care and
    insurance that should be available to all citizens irrespective of their financial status; if for no other reason than to be able to assure one's own health and wellbeing by ensuring the circumstances of others are also favourable. Sounds a little like group auto, fire or personal insurances. In 1963 universal health insurance came to the
    province of Saskatchewan in Canada, and not without a fight. I for one was completely satisfied with my health insurance under Blue Cross (a private company) which covered 80% of medical bills and saw no need for the government to interfere. However, irrespective that the doctors did go on "strike", Saskatchewan did become the first province to provide universal health care, and the rest of Canada followed suit within five years. Through the years, tweaks were necessary and tweaks will continue as nothing stays the same. Benefits soon became evident. For instance, my grandmother had numerous illnesses requiring hospitalization before and during the war years, and even limited health insurance plans were out of reach for many. As a consequence liens resulting from hospitalization were imposed upon her residence and remained until her death. Life was not easy. Since the advent of universal health care this imposition no longer existed and people's mental outlook changed for the better. There are ongoing problems with respect to availability of services. For example, patients needing hip or knee surgury may be wait listed for a number of months. In my case, two years ago, I had a persistent, but not painful irritant on my right chest. After a few days I walked to the clinic where a doctor quickly strapped me to a ECG machine and then called for an ambulance. I was puzzled and advised him I could drive myself to the hospital. This was out of the question and on my journey to the hospital I could only think about a shock absorber that was sorely needed by the ambulance I was in. During a seven day admittance in the hospital, five stents were inserted in my arteries and two electrical shocks were administered. The surgeon advised me to quit smoking and stay away from nasty foods, and get some exercise. To this day I feel quite well and he doesn't wish to see me for the next two years. All this under universal health care and I haven't seen a bill yet! Oh, except for the ambulance charge of $80 and my private supplemental insurance covers 80% as well as 80% of my prescriptions. I am assessed a monthly charge of $51 (US $53) for the provincial medicare and $47 per month for the supplemental insurance (coverage for two). Medical doctors receive good remuneration – I am aware that in 1986 the average GP received approximately $200,000 per year. My son lives in LA and now has three children. He finds medical insurance charges to be atrociously high and cannot afford them. He commercially makes fine chocolates but because of these insurance rates he cannot afford to hire extra staff that he needs to progress his company. I dearly hope that what I have outlined shows what can be accomplished but not in conditions where hatred for one another exists. All I can say is...make good health sense...not war!

March 23, 2010 at 2:46 am |
  4. Lynn Salerno

I am thrilled about this bill on Health care. All I can say is thank God we have a President young understanding and looking out for the American people.Long over due and lets stop passing the buck to the Dem- after all people need to give him time,He was not the one who put us where we are. The REP DID so get over it to those that voted him in 2 terms.Happy to say I was not one of those fooled into the bull. I am a baby boomer and happy to be and i have seen alot in these years,so let the insurance co yell and hope to get our men and women home soon, another foolish war and should have never been.Anderson you are cool and Love your show. May God Bless America, Our President &Vice President & familys. Keep the Flags flying and remember this is the best country. Hope in november you people remember the Dems need time and we can't take more REP for a long long time I Pray. Thanks & God Bless.

March 23, 2010 at 2:46 am |
  5. Carole

Regarding healthcare...If it is mandatory to have car insurance in case of an accident, or home insurance in case of fire, flood, etc., then why shouldn't people have health insurance? It sure would help cut health costs. I'm sure that it would be beneficial to all in the long run. The uninsured have been costing tax payers plenty over the years.

March 23, 2010 at 2:31 am |
  6. Dee

Anderson...am sitting here listening to you go ove this joke of a Health Care Bill...You want to know what a farce it is...In going through it, you mentioned the Donut hole in senior drug program...Isn't that wonderful...they are going to give us $250.00 to get us through the Gap...My husbands meds through the gap, starting around August total over $500.00 a month....Gee...great help...

March 23, 2010 at 2:13 am |
  7. heather

(correction)..
    gail...
    the big deal is that we, tax paying americans, are once again providing another free ride for those who are able to work but choose not to. they say 32 million americans are uninsured... how many of those "unfortunate" people do you think choose to be uninsured because they would rather spend money on something materialistic? i know several. is obama going to provide us with the same coverage he has. this bill will cost us $940 billion a decade, yet they are only raising taxes by $400 billion per decade. if this is so, then it will take roughly 22 years of taxation to pay for 10 years of this ridiculous obamacare that is going to literally kill us.

March 23, 2010 at 1:49 am |
  8. msl

I am just amazed at the untruths and lack of critical thinking. Are we not all expected to have automobile insurance? In fact, now that I think about it, I'm forced to buy insurance on many things now at days – home, cellphone, appliances. In fact, only the communal option, much like Medicare or the VA, will take health care out of the hands of the insurance companies. One earlier commenter, a teacher, pointed out that prisoners are given access to health and dental services as a basic aspect of life. We have decided that health care is a basic service for our elderly, military, extremely poor, and prisoners, but not for the working, underemployed and unemployed. Our government works pretty well. I've had better service with public servants than with my cable, phone or credit card company. I want communal, single payer depending upon your income healthcare. People would still be free to buy insurance. Heath care in France is human right, but individuals can still choose to pay for whatever services they want. So, what is the problem? Why so much intensity? When a loved one is sick, is money the first thing you think about? And why bring up abortion? Why jump on the womb wagon? The dialogue is around life, a very feminine association, and too often we live in a world uncomfortable with women, their issues, and their power.

March 23, 2010 at 1:47 am |
  9. Mone Purcell

I'm trying to understand why is it that when Rep. Stupak responds to any question about how he feels about Rep. Neugebauer"s "Baby Killer" outburst and says that the exec. order is no different than Bush's exec. order on stem cell restrictions, every commentator literally ignores his response and has no comment about why THIS exec. order is different than Bush's.

March 23, 2010 at 1:47 am |
  10. John Marshall

The constitutional challenge to the individual mandate portion of the healthcare bill would likely be unsuccessful in any federal court.

Under the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, Congress has the power to “regulate Commerce . . . among the several States.” The threshold questions that a court must ask–consistent with Supreme Court commerce-clause jurisprudence–are (1) whether mandating individuals to obtain healthcare is "economic" or (2) whether the healthcare bill as a whole is an economic regulation. If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then the individual-mandate provision is undoubtedly constitutional.

While the Supreme Court has held that possession of handguns in a school zone and gender-motivated violence is not economic activity, and ultimately that these regulations were unconstitutional, it has held possession of marijuana was part of an economic regulation, and ultimately constitutional.

Here, the individual-mandate provision regulates economic activity–namely, the purchase of healthcare. As a result, a court would likely find that the individual-mandate provision is constitutional under the Commerce Clause.

March 23, 2010 at 1:46 am |
  11. A. Smith, Oregon

Billions of American taxpayer dollars are lost to fraud by corrupt MD's who submit claims for non-existent MRI's, CAT-scans, diseases and routine exams. American's new Health Care bill places stiff regulations and policing on MD's that own their own MRI and other diagnostic medical equipment to prevent the massive fraud which the Republican party apparently voted against fixing.

All told, America's Health Care bill is not only a deposit on all American's for a brighter future, it is the largest public debt reducing bill ever passed and signed into American law.

Despite every attempt by the Republican congressmen to obstruct, delay and distort the pending American Health Care bill, the Democratic led majority more than held their own, they kicked the Republican's back to Texas! And were last seen staggering out of the White House congressional chambers with a large boot inserted up their rear ends.

Tea Party members and their Republican party were rumored to be thinking about burning some crosses in their home States as part of a recruitment drive for more members during the Congressional spring recess.

Republican attorneys general in 11 states warned that lawsuits will be filed to stop the federal government overstepping its constitutional powers and usurping states' sovereignty.

States are concerned the burden of providing health care will fall on them without enough federal support.

Ten of the Republican attorneys general plan to band together in a collective lawsuit on behalf of Alabama, Florida, Nebraska, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Washington.

Congressional Republican Minority Leader John Boehner said passing of the Health Care bill meant Republicans would declare Armageddon on America.

Congressional Republican Minority Leader John Boehner further indicated wave after wave of obstruction tactics in the US Senate as the US Senators voted to approve the US Congressional House amendments to the Health Care Bill. The Republican US Senatorial party of no is expected to offer numerous meaningless amendments and procedural objections in a failed attempt to stall and obstruct its passage.

2.2 million people whose deaths are attributed to diarrhea, mostly from dirty water, and 1.8 million children aged under five who succumb to water-borne diseases die each year around the world. This equates to one infant every 20 seconds!!!

Far more infants are dieing everyday because of lack of adequate health treatment than by abortions everyday. And yet the Republican Party was unanimous against saving infants from dieing from inadequate Health Care in America!

Throw the Republicans out of office, and vote in more Democrats to public service for a better and more prosperous America tomorrow.

March 23, 2010 at 1:43 am |
  12. eki

just to put in in perspective, I pay taxes for the roads and infrastructure even if I decide not to drive and use them I need to pay. In my case I drive but I only use a couple of roads... should I only pay for those roads I use??

March 23, 2010 at 1:33 am |
  13. eki

imagine; "it is unconstitutional to charge health insurance from someone who might never use it..." yet, I never need the army or prison and I still have to pay taxes for that and for the wages of many, many politicians (who needs them. lol). I think health care is a human right and taking care of your neighbor is the least a great nation can do.

March 23, 2010 at 1:30 am |
  14. Cathy

My husband and I pay $18,000 per year for insurance after being denied by 3 companies. When we working we had Blue Cross Blue Shield, then went on Cobra with same company. Before that ended we applied with the same company and were denied. 2 more companies denied us as well and had to go through state insurance at $18,000. And guess what company they use...Blue Cross Blue Shield. If this bill puts prices in line....I'm all for it.

March 23, 2010 at 1:17 am |
  15. jillian gress

I think getting fined because you cant afford insurance is cruel.Not only am I struggling to pay rent but I dont have insurance bc of the cost. also..if you are 26 and under dont you have to l
    ive with your parents and go to school to be on their insurance? thats not many college students..not me.

March 23, 2010 at 1:17 am |
  16. Ryan

My family and I are great full that the Democrats are brave enough to pass this historic bill. I personally am happy that I can finally afford insurance and not have to think twice about going to the doctor because I cant afford the visit or the meds. Thank You Mr. President

March 23, 2010 at 12:14 am |
  17. Carrie Williams

Every representative from Alabama, democrats and republicans, voted no to healthcare. . I am looking forward to election time and will be making sure my friends and family trying to "push" and "ram" them out of office. I dont know of any inspiring candidates as of yet but... they surely will be better than what we have now. stale deadweights

March 23, 2010 at 12:05 am |
  18. renee,RN in Ohio

Hey Jim Perkino, proud American "real Republican". Just a few facts: I make $27.18/hr at a thankless job that people like you don't understand, no I'm not in administration-I won't sell my soul for anything. And, my stellar friend did YOU know that the overwhelming majority of the 42% of docs quitting practice are OB-GYNS because they can't afford their malpractice insurance???. You seem so hostile, it must be hard to be you.

March 23, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  19. Frank

From someone in Canada, Congratulations to the U.S. citizens. Many wealthy countries have been able to take care of there population since the second WW. Finally after all this time the U.S. government has recognized the health care is a human right and shouldn't be Business based.

March 22, 2010 at 11:58 pm |
  20. Jodi Vincent

I want to know who's pockets are going to benefit from the bill! I know it won't be my pocket! We are giving our goverment another way to dictate our lives!!! Seriously, when is this going to stop–give me back the power to choose my own insurance company! First, they would have to lower my premiums and deductibles. This bill is such a joke-we can't feed or house our population, but we are going to force everyone to buy isurance-Give me a break!

March 22, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  21. Patrick from Bäle

It takes a great deal of courage to "do the right thing." For now, this bill is probably the best of "the right thing" possible. So, the challenge should be to see how it works and then try and make it better. To be in support or opposition for the sake of political or economic opportunism on either side of the isle is an individual self defeating weakness that threatens the integrity of our whole political system. Somewhere in each individual, politician or otherwise, there must be a feeling of relief and support because this action was the "right thing to do." Now, let's make it better. The winners are and will be those who might possibility lose for the sake of the whole rather than a win for an immediate political or economic advantage or strategy.

March 22, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  22. Kelley

Health Care is vital. Everyone born has a right to quality health care. No matter if you are born poor,middle class or rich. As for choice, yes I have choices for auto, home and life but if I forget to add something to my policy- I could still lose everything. This Bill controls Health Insurance Companies.Insurance Companies should be for non-profit. Hospitals and Doctors should be more compensated for equipment and services.

March 22, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  23. Justin

I was watching Utah AG comment on the legalities of the health care bill. He stated that is illegal for the federal government to contoll interstate commerce but he doesn't have a problem with the USDA contolling interstate commerce and correct me if I'm wrong but that is a federal agency. I say give this bill time to work. Another point I have is if they Fed didn't step in during the industrial revolution to controll monopolies and pass appropriate legislation then where would we be today. I'm not a big fan of BIG GOVERNMENT but sometimes you need it.

March 22, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  24. Joe

All I can say is Democrats better bring their game in November because I've never ever been politically active and I'm going for it. I'm donating money directly to Bart Stupak's opponent and to Suzanne Kosmas's opponent, and to Alan Grayson's opponent, among others to start.

I'm going to organize my friends and relatives and business clients and get them to donate money as well.

The war has just begun and in November we are going to kick your ass.

March 22, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  25. Raul

Gail, the GOP did not only push the abortion issue. They had many other factors that were on their mind. Such as the sketchy issues of how taxes will be collected beginning now to pay for the bill after 4 years. When was the last time you went to buy an item and were told you can pay each month, and pick it up in 4 years. Imagine the car you buy today, and pickup in 4 years. Already lost 4 years of value, heh?

As for the abortion issue, I found it appalling that the Democrats continued to claim that the Health Care Reform bill would save 40,000 lives each year, of Americans who did not have health insurance. But failed to claim that they would insist on saving the 3,700 babies who die each day because of selfish parents due to abortion.

March 22, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  26. Maria S.

The applicability of the health care law is the same as people being required to pay fees for retirement insurance (i.e. Social Security), and Medicare and Medicaid. Federal transportation (fuel) taxes are also required, as everything we buy and consume is transported. These attorneys general bringing a case to take out the health insurance bill will send us down a slippery slope...this Supreme Court wouldn't hesitate to take away Social Security. It's socialist, you know.

March 22, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  27. Lynn

Right to Life from the womb to the grave.I am an American that supports this bill. We give millions of dollars in Aid to other countries, but balk at spending money to keep Americans alive and healthy. Lets move on and enact the reforms to start now, not 2014!

March 22, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  28. Jayne Koch

We have been mandated, on a state level, to buy auto insurance for several decades. Is it more important to protect property than to protect health?

March 22, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  29. Rebecca Glendale, AZ

Healthcare reform is necessary, but unfortunately only a portion of what passed is the right answer. Yes pre-exisiting conditions need to be covered, and the poor need healthcare. But the actual cost of healthcare is not addressed except to hit doctors even harder. They will have lower re-imbursements but higher taxes and higher costs for their practices which will cause many docs to retire early, switch careers and keep new docs from entering training to begin with. There is no other field that requires the amount of education medicine does and has people expecting that expertise to be provided for low fees or even free. In this whole debate, there was not one congressman that proposed increased funding to university hospitals, county hospitals or free clinics. Money that goes directly into healthcare, not money that is derailed into paperwork and bureacracy. Nothing in this bill or even the proposed government insurance ideas would reduce the costs of malpractice suits or paperwork. Social security and Medicare are being held up as great accomplishments in the past, but both systems are near bankruptcy and nothing in this bill will fix that situation. So please explain to me how this bill is really going to provide more healthcare to the masses and cost less. The math just doesn't add up.

March 22, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  30. Maria

These key points all sound great, but is it too good to be true? If the sloppy way in which the stimulus was passed at the start of the presidential term is anything to go by....there are many not so great things awaiting to be discovered. Also, what about the claim that the bill is unconstitutional? Many supporters compare the mandate to buy medical insurance as the same as the requirement to buy auto insurance. You don't have to own a car, you have that choice. But you can't elect not to breathe. Not the same. The concern is if this mandate stands, what else will follow? I am glad my state is standing up for the right to liberty.

March 22, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  31. Joe

Hey all you Obama lovers, what about the 18,000 IRS agents or whatever number it is that Obama is going to sic on everyone? How does that grab you morons?

And the lies about this being a budget deficit reducer. What a joke. This will never save any money.

It's hard to believe that this Congress thinks they can run our entire health care system? Are you kidding me? Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security are all in the red. What on earth makes this financial numb skulls in Congress think they can make this work any better?

March 22, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  32. Joyce J

If a house divided can not stand and 2 can't walk together except they agree, what does the current political climate in Washington mean for the future of our country. I was under the impression that checks & balances where put into place to help make bills better not tear the process apart!

March 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  33. Pat- Orangeburg, NY

Presdent Obama is going to have the respect of all Americans. He is doing something difficult but necessary. We know he is smart, let him work!

March 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  34. Larry

It's nice as far as it goes, but without curbs on increases in the cost of health insurance and medical care, it really isn't worth anything, because by 2014, the insurance companies will have raised their premium rates to the point that we will have to pay the fines because we won't be able to afford the premiums.

March 22, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  35. DaveY

Well put Vitor!

I congratulate the democrat's commitment to affordable healthcare for all. OK, so this forces individuals to take responsibility to pay for health insurance but, as with taxes, we know our society is only as good as the infrastructure which underlies it and is shared by all – roads, sewers, public utilities, justice system (including laws, and the police)education, etc. are needed by all. If you don't want to pay taxes, go live in some of the third world countries where you don't pay taxes and hire your own guards to protect your life style.

March 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  36. Chad, Fresno

We require people to have car insurance or they can not legaly drive. This is a to protect you from having to pay for something that is not your fault. Right now, we pay for everyone that doesn't have insurance through our state taxes when they go to the ER or get injured. Is it right to force every tax payer to pay for the uninsured patients?

March 22, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  37. Andrew Sinclair

The health-care bill passed by the Democrats focuses on the wrong things, and continues to focus on the wrong things. The root of the problem is not insurance. The root is the runaway cost of health care itself. There is a great deal we as a people can do to drive down costs, and we need to start by cutting as much overhead and administrivia from medical operations as we can. (Want those Medicare cuts to not drive doctors out of the profession? Address the cost problem NOW. Or watch the ranks of the doctors shrink.) As for the millions of uninsured people, one way to get them insured again is to get all those people off unemployment and into productive jobs, so we save two ways: get them contributing to the economy in a good way (and paying taxes to reduce the deficit), and get them into the insurance pool via their employer. I've already proposed four low-cost laws to get the job in these areas to Senator Harry Reid, my senator here in Nevada...and when he blew them off completely (I don't live in Las Vegas/Henderson/Clark County, so to Reid I don't exist) I presented my idea to my House representative, Republican Congressman Dean Heller. So let's watch what happens. The debate is far from over.

March 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  38. Q Huggins

If this really passes and becomes law, what's next? Requiring everyone to purchase energy efficient cars or appliances or face fines? Requiring everyone to have a college degree or face a fine? Requiring everyone to live in a certain size home according to the number that lives there or be punished with fines? What is our country becoming and where are our freedoms going? Yes there is problems with healthcare but this bill is not the answer. Forcing someone to buy something they may or may not want goes against what this country should be standing for. This whole thing is getting out of control.

March 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  39. sheilamills

The bill never did provide for abortion funding so I don't even know why an executive order was needed. Some times the right to life people just want to be in the news.

March 22, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  40. Thomas D

By the time the next president is in office the law will be changed dramatically. The is a historic moment covered up by hypocrisy, bigotry and racial bias. It’s a shame that we still have to fight those issues in 2010.

March 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Cecil

There is no way that a bill as far reaching as the healthcare bill could be enacted into law without controversy and challenges that it is constitutional. This is another reason why I think that changes to our healthcare system should have been done incrementally rather than one big chunk.

March 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Gail Human

I can't figure out why people are so opposed to Obama's health reform plan? I know,just form opening a can of worms on facebook with my friends, of which I have probably lost half, that Republicans seem to be all about the abortion issue. Don't know why that keeps coming up. Is that all they have to harp on.? I think the President is doing a job that no one else would even attempt and doing it well.

March 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Katie p

What happens when this government entitlement program can't get rid of the "bad" doctors because 1. There's a shortage of doctors and 2. The unions.
    Who will pay for all of the malpractice lawsuits? The taxpayers!
    Hasn't anyone learned a lesson from the governments education system failures and their inability to get rid of bad teachers? We're still paying pensions for bad teachers in their system. Government cannot run anything efficiently.

March 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Ron K

OK so what happens when the next president decides to rescind the so called "executive order" on abortion funding....just as Obama rescinded Bush's order on stem cell research. Those congressmen who bought into that were fools who were sold a bill of goods. The executive order does not truly carry the force of law.

March 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Beth Amorosi

I want to hear why free healthcare should be available to law abiding citizens from people who have dedicated their education and lives to taking care of us. what will this do to doctors and nurses? Patients are demanding low cost care from people who are very highly educated and specialized? Why do those same people not question the salaries paid to athletes and entertainers? Why do those same people not question $12 to go to a movie theatre or $150 to go to a Broadway show or sporting event? Please tell me why those people don't value their lives and healthcare the same way they do a disposable commodity?

March 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  46. sheilamills

Of course this is political. This is as political as the Florida Attorney General ensuring that George Bush would win the Florida vote. How sad.

March 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  47. J. Rector

C. Gordon's comment was thought provoking. It is exactly that kind of stuff that brings us further and further in debt. We give them hot meals, healthcare, education, jobs and housing that escape some of the hardest working people that I know. Gordon, maybe they need to do prison-care reform...then I could get paid more as a teacher, get my education on the government, and not have to buy my classroom supplies. Once again we are barking up the wrong tree again.

March 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  48. C. Gordon

It is truly amazing how America is in a uproar over the heathcare bill...Upset we will go more in debt, this issue, that issue. But has anyone sat and thought how we give people who break the law free healthcare but refuse it to law abiding citizens....People think where is the justice in that!!!!!

March 22, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
  49. Karen from Pittsburgh

If this bill is a baby killer, then what we have now is a man, woman and child killer. For someone so intent on bringing the maximum number of people into the world, Rep. Neugebauer shows little compassion for them once they are here.

March 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
  50. Annie Kate

With all the ways to derail this bill somewhere along the line, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the naysayers slow it down or stop it. Hopefully, we are not counting our chickens before they hatch. The provisions you named at the beginning of the article are good ones – no preexisting conditions, no lifetime limit, cover your children until they are 26 (that one is especially good for my daughters considering how long they plan to be in school and how hard it is to get insurance), and not including preventive care in the calculations for the deductible. If that is all that gets through I hope it does – and I hope it takes effect a little faster than 2014.

March 22, 2010 at 9:13 pm |