March 17th, 2010

Closer to health care reform: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the Democrats are one vote closer to passing health care reform, disturbing details about the 33 Haitian children taken by American missionaries, a French television documentary that is really causing a stir, and an update on the death investigation of Corey Haim.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. A. Smith, Oregon

@ starr, chronic excessive use of methamphetamine and cocaine can and does lead to a enlarged heart and chronic heart problems.

March 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Charlotte Scurry texas

I wonder what magazine Levi johnson will pose in next to pay his child suport payments

March 17, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Karoline, Los Angeles

I like to see Dr. Drew on. He knows a lot about the subculture of drug use here.

March 17, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  4. A. Smith, Oregon

Anyone that has worked on a Hollywood movie set knows full well how accepted and rampant illegal drug use is.

March 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  5. charlie

There is a massive social acceptance of pill taking which is crazy.
    I have never taken a painkiller stronger than aspirin apart from two (2-3 week) periods following two surgeries. Prescribing painkkillers without diagnosing the cause of the pain seems incredible.

March 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Vivian - Mtl

from Anna Nicole Smith and son to Corey Haim, who are these doctors?

March 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"I think they are getting their off the street!"

March 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I agree that these doctors are responsible, but I don't exonerate people like Corey Haim (if he did die of an overdose) who take these drugs.

There have been more than enough celebrity deaths due to prescription drugs for them to know better. They willingly contribute to their own demise.

March 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hello all. Busy day.

March 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  10. starr, formerly known as vincent

toobin & pinsky – excellent panel

cory haim was reported to have enlarged heart and fluid in his lungs. does not sound like a drug overdose.

March 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Kim- Ohio

It seems like they would have a system set up to cross check people who Dr shop...this problem is getting bad these days.

March 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  12. LaSonya, Nashville

There are so many people abusing prescription drugs, I would be absolutely terrified with all the side effects.

March 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  13. larry

regardless of your politics, it shows no fiscal responsibility to add to an existing deficit. 1 trillion – give me a break or give my kids a break!

March 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

How would one doctor know that another doctor had already prescribed something?

March 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

I am so sad about Corey Haim death, If you want to cry as I did today, you have to read the letter that Corey Feldman wrote to him and publish in his web page!
    In the other side, I think that this problem "famous peolple and Drugs prescriptions" is horrible, somebody have to stop it, I think that the major problem is that because they are "celebrities" they can Get whatever they want, and the people to earn amounts of money, sell them anything athough it's something prohibited!

March 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Heather - Spokane, WA

I remember having a big crush on Corey Haim when I was 8. Its sad that he had to die this way and its sad that he went through what he did that kept him on drugs wether physical or mental

March 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Michael, eastern NC,
    Thanks for your comment....... Welcome to Live Blog tonight! 🙂 And I agree with you, too 😀

March 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  18. A. Smith, Oregon

@ Isabel in Brazil and Mexico for 50 dollars you could legally get a load of painkillers from any corner drug store. What is your experience?

March 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Those medications have code names to just write it on a pad!"

March 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Vivian - Mtl

Hi everyone!
    SOS Childrens Villages gave $260 to each family plus food and blankets for now. They even offered them psych help when and if they ever need it for the kids.

March 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  21. LisaL -Canada

i don't really understand these doctors and physicians who participate in these "drugs for celebrities" - the celebrities get addicted to the medications (as the access seems to be excessively easy) ... and one has to occasionally wonder if some of these are addicted to the rush they get from servicing celebrities. it usually takes two to tango.

March 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Good point, there is a lot of patients' responsibility here.

March 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  23. charlie

Seems like the same story as Michael Jackson.

March 17, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  24. LaSonya, Nashville

Do you blame the patient, doctor, pharmacy? I think the patient.

March 17, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The Lost Boys and License to Drive is the face of my youth!

March 17, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Jon - Rockingham, NC

It has been almost 30 years since our neighbors in the North (Canada) passed Universal Healthcare for its citizens. Over 90% of Canadians today say they are satified with their healthcare services. How long is it going to take for the United States citizens to get it??? People have been told lies and fear tatics have been used to maintain the status quo. I thought the United States of American was suppose to be leading the world, yet we are the only industrialized nation in the world without healthcare. Simply, put "PASS THIS BILL NOW!".

March 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Charlotte Scurry texas

How do that many people get that many pills

March 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It is very sad to see person get lost in drugs and taking his own life because of it.

I hope Corey Haim find peace, at last.

March 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Brenda - Georgia

Do you realize that those with no insurance will still have no insurance if this bill passes? We could do this so much better. Four years before it takes effect – why the rush? Let's do this right – step by step together!!!!! Someone today said the dems should ram this through just to show those evengelical zealots that they cannot muscle America. If they ram this through – don't you think they are the ones muscling America! Come on people – use your heads – let's do this thing right. I want health care reform but this bill is not it!!!

March 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Gary Monks

from what i see on tv most people who say no to healthcare, already
    have it. i wonder how they would feel if they needed to go to the doctor
    and could'nt. they say it gonna cost too much. well look at it this way,
    george bush spend how many billions on a war that we should'nt
    been in and cost how many lives, well president Obama wants to spend money and save lives.

March 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gabriela,
    Hi there, I also miss you, too!!! Yes, Corey Haim was my favorite actor. I agree with you.

March 17, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I think attributing Nazi atrocities to 'group think' is an easy out. Many whole heartedly supported what they did.

March 17, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Oh My God, this "game" is so Horrible although it is fake, and the worst part is that there's a lot of people ready to play it! Thats so idiotic!

March 17, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Garrett

If you don't have car insurance you drive very cautiously. If you don't have healthcare you do what you can to stay out of the hospital. Of course somethings can't be prevented (accident, random cancers), and these should be covered for everyone, but most everything else is preventable and avoidable, so why should I have to pay for a smokers lung cancer, an overweights diabetes medications. Like car insurance, prices should be competitive and based on your health record. Imagine if everyone had the same car insurance premium regardless of your driving record...driving would be a very scary ordeal.

March 17, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Heather - Spokane, WA

If people are willing to date total strangers on tv and do things for fame then they are willing to do stupid things like this!

March 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

Will the legislation it's component parts be reviewed on air before passage? This absolutely should be done so that the public understands the bill as fully as possible.

Sara Sidner rept on the reunions of children with their families is painful. And certainly makes me think that my own response to the question of the Idaho missionaries was too quick. The children are with their own parents though.

Hopefully the 1B raised to help Haitians will not only help to provide aid and shelter but will also help to improve circumstances for families in Haiti.

Good evening Randi Kaye!

March 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  37. charlie

There will come a day when historians will look at the US heathcare system and say "how could people do something like that". (deny coverage to sick people, based on a profit motive).

March 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These are the same weak minded people who follow cults.

March 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  39. starr, formerly known as vincent

dr. pinsky makes an excelent point...lose of moral compass

this really gives us something to think about on any and every level.

March 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  40. Michael, eastern NC

Anderson Cooper AND Drew Pinsky on the same set! Best looking men on television! I love both you guys!

March 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Linda in Arizona

No truly "well-adjusted" person would be on a game show in the first place, nor would they sign something promising to do as they were told. I don't think you can extrapolate anything about normal people from this.

March 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Sophia Garcia

Gimme a break! Let's not sweeten this up! We have a conscience and we're absoulutely prone to violating that because it's our nature.

March 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The really Survivor also had stages so ridiculous and insane like this! I don't like this!

March 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Charlotte Scurry texas

I could not shock someone like that at least I want to think that

March 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't think good idea a game!! I don't feel is right for people to play a shocker!!! That is not acceptable game to torture to death!!! That is horrible I have seen! 🙁

March 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Oh Yeah! I love this game...

March 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  47. charlie

Insurance company administrators do that (inflict incredible pain) all the time when they deny coverage to someone with cancer.

March 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  48. A. Smith, Oregon

Obviously it takes a very twisted and sick mind to come up with such a social experiment. Funny how such Dr's. and Scientists rapidly climb up in the ranks of power no matter which country they reside in.

March 17, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  49. LisaL -Canada

oh i LOVE trying to analyze traumatic psychological games - as often as not, the whole process behind WHY it was created, WHO created, WHAT is being learned, and HOW it was paid for (and by who) is ALWAYS at least as exciting as the experiment itself (oh, and how different people react is also pretty interesting too). and post-analysis is usually kind of interesting, although not nearly as interesting as the setup and creation.

i'm really not sure if i would shock someone or not. a total stranger? for money? probably not.. if it was someone who had tormented me endlessly and caused me psychological or physical trauma? probably.

March 17, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Dulcie - Denver

Holy geez, that's a horrifying game. I dislike game shows in the first place, but this is horrifying.

I heard about this experiment in college and knew that I couldn't torture anyone. One peep from the subject and I'd be done.

March 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |