March 17th, 2010

Closer to health care reform: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the Democrats are one vote closer to passing health care reform, disturbing details about the 33 Haitian children taken by American missionaries, a French television documentary that is really causing a stir, and an update on the death investigation of Corey Haim.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"No one was playing the game with at full deck!

March 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

People will do anything for their 15 minutes, no matter how revolting or immoral.

March 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  3. charlie

The game show is sort of like the heathcare debate where ordinarily humane people, can fervently support denying heathcare as a sort of punishment for someone who loses thier job.

March 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  4. arnold

I believe if the people are against health care reform, our elected officials should listen to the people that put them in office. Scrap this health care bill.

March 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann, count me as one of the "administrators." I can think of plenty of people (some politicians) I'd like to put in "the chair." Just for fun....of course 🙂

March 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  6. starr, formerly known as vincent

there was a very famous study done in the 1950's at a college with very similar set up.

the study was done to prove how some people would torture or in some cases not....i beleive the study was in response to the germans saying they were following orders in ww2

this game simply proves what the college study did

March 17, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I am in shock too ... with such nonsense!

March 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Heather - Spokane, WA

I at first thought this game show was a Japenese game show because they have shows like this. Why would people do this?

March 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Dana H.

@Tom if the President has his way we will all have 72 hours to see this bill before they vote. Then all this miss information will be done.

I'm glad Kucinich fought to get universal healthcare. It would have been nice if he succeeded. But it's also nice that he decided to pass what we have and continue the fight after. This is a major step in reform but it is not the last. It doesn't matter to me how this gets passed as long as it's passed. And maybe we will get a public option slipped in...

March 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Kim- Ohio

I think they really did a study on this in the past. I can't believe people would actually shock someone when they hear them in there screaming.

March 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

@Harold. Yes I recognized the game show format as an actual experiment performed in the 60's. I remember it from long ago Psych 101.

March 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  12. A. Smith, Oregon

The new 'Game Show' shocker is simply a repeat of a very old psychological study that college students learned about some 30 years ago in their Psych classes.

March 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The people willing to administer the pain need psychological help. They are dangerous!

March 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Gerry Ridley

Most Americans don't want government intervention in our health care,however our government leaders don't care what we the people want.I have been with out health ins for 12 + years and that is our choice..Taking one more right away from us just brings us closer to a socialist nation.I have never asked for help from the government for health care and I am a person of very limited means.I have yearly exams and have had health issues.When I have needed expensive medications I choose to buy them in Mexico,that is my choice. I don't want my freedom to choose for myself.

March 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Richard Fowler

I still do not know how the 30M + folks without health care will pay for their insurance premiums. Richard from St. Louis

March 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Matt

What is the republicans overridding motivation for opposition health care reform. Cost is a disingenuous argument AEB debt run up in previous congress

March 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Bee

We need health reform now...not ten years from now. Even if pre existing conditions kick in four years from now, it's better than not having them at all. If the health bill is not passed now, it will not get done for a long long time.....and watch out for those premiums to go through the ceiling. The insurance companies will have a field day... maybe, if we are lucky we will have universal heath care like most countries.....and no our health care will not suffer.....

March 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  18. LisaL -Canada

are the people who are so poor they are giving their children away in areas which are receiving any kind of international assistance ?? is this whole issue of the 33 "orphans" not "the cycle" that is trying to be broken?? will these families receive any kind of support??

March 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Awwww!!!! Elephants are so cute, I do love circus many times before, And I do love beat 360 captions. Congrats Dean and Rod!!! 🙂

March 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Stephen

When this bill becomes law, you will be forced to beg for health care
    as many primary care physicians will leave the profession...some say
    as many as 40% or more...and lines are gonna be long. Just think first come – first served, otherwise known as rationed health care.

The only way to control health care costs is for a single payer system,
    but with that you also get millions of job losses in the private insurance industry, not to mention the fraud inherent in any government run entity.

March 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm extremely apathetic about the health care bill at this point. I just don't care. I'm fed up with ALL of the Washington politicians and their bull.

March 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

March 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  23. wendy

I hope the bill passes because alot of my family members are unempoyedand do not have health care I also have frinds and other formal co-workers that have gonr bankrupt.Happy St. Patrick"s Dayto you Anderson,your staff,and the other Bloggers!

March 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  24. colleen from canada

once again, i have to say we have universal health care in canada. thank goodness. what is wrong with government run healthcare. we are not a socialist country, but a caring country. caring for all our citizens by providing them with healthcare – for the rich and for the poor. i would gladly pay a little more in taxes to help those who do not have a job but are able to get free medical attention as required. united states should get with the program. they are the only industrialized nation in the world that does not provide healthcare to their citizens. that is a disgrace.

March 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Tommy

If we think our medical INS. Premiums are high now just wait till this bill is shoved down our throats. I'm in the medical INS. Industry I believe alot of INS companys will get out and docs will leave to.

March 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Tonya

sending prayers and hope for the children of Haiti! Goodnight!

March 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  27. dan

Haiti cannot sustain itself as a country, as it has proved many times over the years.
    What is the solution? I don't know.

March 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  28. A. Smith, Oregon

I hope the California Attorney General releases the additional names of the Hollywood celebs that were also receiving fake Rx scripts thru that huge Rx. drug ring.

March 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Thank you Anderson, for keeping the interest and bringing us the stories from haiti, when nobody else is doing it now, it seems like everybody forget about haiti, I am happy that you and CNN don't!

March 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Dulcie - Denver

I wish I had some brilliant idea on how to get all those Haitians some kind of homes in a hurry. The numbers are overwhelming.

March 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Devin

I already hate game shows it looks like another reason to never go on one = /

March 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. starr, formerly known as vincent

anderson, thank you so much for your continued reporting on haiti. i hope you will continue for the next several yrs.

biden-very funnny

March 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Yell, Biden is cool people!"

March 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  34. charlie

Biden is real class. I would love to have him to dinner. And behind that charm is a real life story.

March 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Terry Griffiths

Americans need only to look to the north to see a superior health care system!
    Canada has the 11th highest life expectancy in the world, whereas the United States is only 38th in the world. In Canada, the overall life expectancy at birth, as indicated in Wikipedia, is 80.7 years. For males it's 78.3 years and for females it's 82.9 years.
    In the United States the overall life expectancy is 78.2 years. For males it's 75.6 years and for females it's 80.8.
    Do the math! Canadian males live an average of 2.7 years longer than American males. Canadian females live an average of 2.1 years longer.
    I'll take our Canadian Health Care system any day over your American, free market system.

March 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  36. LaSonya, Nashville

I love Vice President Biden!!

March 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

How much of the billion dollars for Haiti will get skimmed off by the corrupt government.

March 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Heather - Spokane, WA

This breaks my heart. When kids are reunited with their parents its supposed to be happy but knowing that they are going back to nothing and not knowing what lies ahead for them and their families is just saddening. It needs to change there

March 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Tammy

As a Canadian who is happy to have Health care...please ask Bill (who was just on) what kind of care he has??? Americans deserve this for all the GOOD things that they provide to the world, it amazes me that their own people sometimes SEEM to be as deprived as other countries in the world..that their government supports???

March 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

One would think these parents would have determined risks and consequences before giving up their children.

March 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Anderson

These children need so many help. Thank you for continuing to report on the situation in Haiti.

March 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  42. starr, formerly known as vincent

this story of the little boy who does not want to come home is heart breaking. is there any way he could stay with his caretaker ?

March 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Eugene

One of the most developed nations in the world can't agree to help it citizens get health care. How ironic and hypocritical. Pass the bill and make the necessary amendments to help your people.

March 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Kim- Ohio

How sad to know your Mother gave you away, but at the same time I think she was trying to give him a better life.

March 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Claus

Why would we not want people to know that states are troubled by the possibility of their citizens being required to buy healthcare. This could turn into a huge problem if they prevail.

March 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Kathy

Why question Dennis K's motivation? It reflects my thinking. Ideally, I'd like to have a public option. The current bill isn't perfect but it IS a step forward. THANKS, for your common sense and willingness to be a part of the process, Dennis.

March 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Tonya

I do not have health insurance...and cant afford it for myself. I am poor..I do not want to be made to buy health care...how does that help me? .that is just an extra bill I will have to struggle to pay each month. When I get sick I take a good dose of Nyquil....cheaper than going and seeing the doctor!

March 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  48. cynthia E.

Anderson, I feel that we should go ahead and pass the healthcare bill. Pres. Obama has done nothing wrong. Give him a chance, the Republicans are the ones making a big deal. If it were a Republican President in office they would agree on everything. What is the problem? Is it a democratic thing or is it just President Obama? Makes you want to think.

March 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  49. LaSonya, Nashville

@Tom, believe me... the congressional leaders knows what is all in it. If they dont know then, they are not doing their job they have had the senate and house bill long enough. We have never been this close to achieving healthcare reform. If we dont do it now, it will be 50 years before this chance come again. we can work out the kinks later.

March 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |