March 17th, 2010

Closer to health care reform: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the Democrats are one vote closer to passing health care reform, disturbing details about the 33 Haitian children taken by American missionaries, a French television documentary that is really causing a stir, and an update on the death investigation of Corey Haim.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Adrian

To Bennett,
    To your argument about these proceedures only being used with bipartisan support. If the small minority you are up against just decides to take the football and go home, what are your choices? I say it's smart to use any method you have at your disposal to get the job done.Just because the fight gets difficult and the enemy is fierce, you don't give up. Not in America. You stand and fight. These colors don't run. Pass the bill anyway you can.

March 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Sheila Toomey

I already have healthcare as i live in Massachusetts and in 2007 they told us if we didnt get healthcare that we would have to pay a fee and each year without insurance that fee would increase.

I got insurance through the state of Massachusetts which isnt MassHealth. Due to my being unemployed I dont pay premiums or copays yet I have full coverage. Why can't America work like Mass?

March 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Roger

On a bill that will directly effect this many Americans, it seems very cowardly to push it through without a real vote. Yes, our Congress is broken ... Keep your promises Mr. President.

March 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Charlotte Scurry texas

That game show is unbelivable !!! My kids cannot stop playing the cookie game !!!!

March 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Ben and Frances French of 7960 Texas

YES! We are a large family of Democrats: 5 children, 11 grandchildren who vote. We are very much in favor of passing the President's bill on Health Care.

March 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather – Spokane, WA
    Good question...... I have heard that Congressman decide said no for our health-care before he change his mind say yes, I think that he don't like our health-care like that.

March 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. jeane

Pass the bill any way you can. Follow the lead of those complaining now.

March 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Paul, Bryan

America, do the right thing. Cover all citizens. It's the ethical thing to do....

March 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Charles

I am so sad that some people really are trying to undermine the president... why? I respect Republicans regarless, they will always stand behind their leaders no matter how dumb they could be, but Democratics have no spin... I am ashamed to call myself a democrat sometimes.

March 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think this bill will pass, but the question for me is will it be what everyone needs?

March 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Janna & Philip

The American people do want health care reform. It's time.

March 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi–Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    The French game show experiment sounds fascinating.

March 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"I think it will go down well!"

March 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  14. starr, formerly known as vincent

@dulcie – denver – excellent post. and i totally agree with you.

@kim – thanks

i think that dee dee myers has made excellent points.

March 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Tom

It is irresponsible for any of our "congressional leaders" to vote for a bill of this magnitude without knowing what all is in it.....not to mention the effort to have it deemed as passed by the House without a vote.

March 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  16. LaSonya, Nashville

@Luis. I agree. Our country is suppose to lead by example, but it seems we have a lot to learn from other countries.

March 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

If the House changes the bill the Senate passed, why doesn't the Senate have to vote on the changes too?

March 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  18. charlie

@ Frank Great points.
    And the US ends up 37th in the world on health care results,despite hugely more costly healthcare.
    (actually illness exploitation by the medical industrial complex.)

March 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  19. jim

i realized Obama promised health care,
    more important now is unemployment
    and medicare fraud.

March 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  20. joan from NewYork

Everything that can be said about it has been said and everybody has said it. I'm sick of the politics and arguing.If the arguing were to be true forensic debates focusing on ISSUEs then I'd say –keep on talking.

March 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Good Night Anderson, Emily, Megan D, Dodie, Isabel, Heather, Starr, 360 Crew and everydoby else!
    I was a little busy this week and the last, so I didn't have the chance to be in the chat! I miss you all!
    I hope everyone is doing all right!
    I am so sad about Corey Haim dead!

March 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Sharon Hastings

Who knows if Kucinich is telling the truth. I do believe he wants to do what's right and he had strong feelings about what that was. In the end though it's time to move forward with the best we can do now. I hold out hope that in the future we can recoup some of what we wanted originally.

March 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Luis

We spend more than any other country on HC,but still have millions with no coverage. That me,myself and I society that we live in has to come to an end.

March 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Linda in Arizona

I'm not disappointed with Dennis Kucinich because he's a realist. He pushed the issues I care about right to the wire. I imagine he at least got some promises from the president. Obviously, he is a Democrat, and doesn't want to be known as the Democrat who wanted Obama to fail. I don't like this bill either, but I don't want it to FAIL because it would hurt Obama's presidency and the country if it did. I'm grateful to Congressman Kucinich for keeping these important issues in the spotlight.

March 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Kim- Ohio

@Starr....I agree...they can get it passed and work on it more later.

March 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Paul, Bryan

A good thing (universal health care) for all, made into an evil thing by the right wing...unbelieveable....

March 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Claus

@john dankanyin third,
    It sounds as though you would be eligible to receive free medications from the pharma companies for any brand (vs generic) name drugs you are taking. I doubt if this will change as the result of any bill.

March 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  28. starr, formerly known as vincent

@frank....you post was well said and i agree.

March 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Dulcie - Denver

Yes, please pass health care now. It's not everything we need, but let's get this started. I've been without health insurance and have the bad credit to show for it.

We are the only industrialized nation without a health care mandate. We can't get single payer in place, but this is at least a step in the right direction.

March 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im wondering what the quid pro quo is for the congressman changing his mind?

March 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Harold R.Chorney

Dennis Kucinich has acted bravely and wisely. Get this bill passed and then continue to educate Americans about single payer health care and the virtues of a public option.

On your upcoming item on obedience to authority and the game show this was shown long ago in research done by Stanley Milgram in 1961 which followed closely the game show's format. People showed themselves capable of torturing people with electric shocks even if they knew they were innocent. Fortunately, the roles of those tortured were played by actors unknown to the torturers who actually thought they were delivering real shocks. Milgram's research was widely heralded at the time.

March 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Phil, You don't have 'good' health care if it cost you that mush. I had heart surgery that cost $60,000 and paid a $250 hospital co-pay. Needless to say, I don't want the government messing with my health care.

March 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I know people aren't afford to pay their Insurance companies or Health-care. Sometimes people are hard times to pay these or struggle to pay our taxes.

March 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Devin

I like him he even gives the people his money back! wow wow go Dennis =0D you arnt another fat cat!

March 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  35. A. Smith, Oregon

Democratic Dennis Kucinich fully realizes first passing the bill and then crafting, adding and adjusting the Health Care bill is how it is going to become law in America.

March 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  36. charlie

Kucinich is right. This bill is a weak distorted shadow of what people in a developed country deserve, but it is better than nothing. It is weak and distorted by the money in US politics which make politicians more accountable to corporations than people.

March 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Kathy Chicago

Most of the things in this bill don't happen for years. Previous conditions doesn't even kick in for 4 years. What happened to reform. The govt could have really made a difference.

March 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Martie Bell

My daughter has a separate insurance policy because as a single mother I could not afford her on my policy. Her account went up 48% last year even though she is a cross country track athlete and doesn't have any drug or alcohol use. This is absurd and I can't afford it with her and her brother's college expense. I desperately need help – as a full time, employed college professor.

March 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Lisa - Seattle

How wonderful it would be if this whole thing is truly put to rest this weekend. One way or another, The President needs to move on from health care or his Presidency will be stalled unti he's removed.

March 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  40. starr, formerly known as vincent

i get was rep. k's trying to say. he doesn't want to stop the first reformation of healthcare.

like he said, changes to the bill can be made after the bill is law.

March 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Karen Flam

Sure, the bill isn't perfect yet, but when you have two teams playing against each other instead of one team collaborating, that's what happens. If the bill doesn't pass, then we will have truly moved into the era of Let Them Eat Cake time in America.

March 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Tonya

Today in the interview, Obama ducked and dodged most of the questions asked of him. Listening to him was like going to a resturaunt an ordering a steak, then having the waiter insist that you have fish instead. You tell him that you dont want fish and he says...oh yes you do..... Obama needs to listen to the people!

March 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Increase our debt? That is just something that the Republican say so they can sit on the money, and then lend money out to banks.

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening everyone! Sorry im late. Happy St Pat's Day!

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Charlotte Scurry texas

I am sure the congressman did get something for changing his vote

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I worked for Dennis at one time, but I am disappointed that he changed his vote and didn't stand by his convictions.

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  47. john Dankanyin Third

What about us disabled ive been collecting social security disability for 6 years

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Claus

@Dave M., the President said today that the bill will be made available to everyone prior to the vote. Given that the vote may be Sunday, let's hope we all have very fast reading skills.

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Rishi

I say we just get this bill over with so that we as a nation can focus on more important things like the situation in Afghanistan. Bills can always be reformed, but an event cannot.

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Shawn Nyman

All Dems should vote yes- they are for the people! The nuns got it right. Women should run the world! More good would get done.

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |