March 15th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Rielle Hunter speaks out about John Edwards and her baby

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/15/art.hunter.cnn.jpg]Cate Vojdik
AC360° Writer

President Obama was in Ohio today, trying to build last-minute support for the issue he’s staked so much on: health care reform. Democratic leaders and the White House are pushing toward a final vote this week. They need 216 votes to pass the bill and they’re still scrambling to nail them down. The full-court press is aimed at 37 House democrats who are still on the fence. Tonight we’ll have the latest on the day’s developments, plus a Keeping Them Honest report from Dana Bash. It’s about exotic – and wildly expensive – new drugs for people with cancer and other life-threatening diseases and the big giveaway discovered in the health care reform for the companies that make them.

Also in the mix tonight: candid talk from John Edwards’ former mistress and mother of his 2-year-old daughter. Rielle Hunter has kept her silence for years but is now speaking out. All the details tonight about what she told GQ magazine about the man she calls Johnny–plus the steamy photo shoot that now has her crying foul, and, oh yes, that sordid sex tape that has surfaced. Along with Hunter’s side of the story, we’ll hear from Andrew Young, Edwards’ former campaign aide, who initially took the fall for his boss by claiming to be the father of Hunter’s baby.

Plus, a Roman Catholic priest who still celebrates mass, even after his former archdiocese kicked him out of his former church and paid more than $1.3 million to settle a molestation lawsuit. A state agency cleared the priest of the charges decades ago. So why did the church settle the case anyway? Gary Tuchman reports on the secret documents the church kept to itself for decades. Tonight you’ll see them for the first time on national television.

See you at 10 p.m. eastern!

Filed under: Cate Vojdik • The Buzz
  1. Sara Magee

Anderson, If Ms. Hunter knew the relationship was broken – why did she not help him try to fix it? Isn't that what real women do for one another? Thank you, Sara

March 15, 2010 at 9:44 pm |
  2. Mimi

I feel sorry for Elizabeth's kids, too.

I feel even worse for little Quinn. Some day in the not too distant future a kid at school will bring in the article to show her how her mother said that her father wished she had been aborted.

March 15, 2010 at 9:37 pm |
  3. Emily

John Edwards has forever turned me off to giving money to politicians. I did "low dollar" fundrsising at his campaign headquarters and feel just sick knowing the $10 and $25 that those people contributed because they believed in this man was spent to pay off his mistress. Where's your apology to your campaign contributors, John Edwards?

March 15, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
  4. chris Briggs

Those pictures? That article? Who is she trying to impress? Larry Flynt? More appropriate for Hustler than GQ. I'm sorry, thats a slap to Larry. He probably passed on this trash.

March 15, 2010 at 9:35 pm |
  5. Linda Myers Tate

I won't judge, but her pictures tell it all.
    "johnny" truly deserves this woman- they both are so selfish–if its wasn't for the childrens of this trainwreck. I would wish them well!

March 15, 2010 at 9:24 pm |
  6. Dan.macdonald

Rielle's 15 minutes are up – 15 minutes to late !!!

March 15, 2010 at 9:24 pm |
  7. alice

Amazing what makeup and touch ups do.... she is portraying herself just the way she should.. but she should remember that a man that cheats on his wife will have no trouble doing it again.

I really feel sorry for the Edwards kids, who have to be humiliated by these folks... and to think that someday she may be their stepmom, I think that must really drive Mrs. Edwards crazy. especially if she does not survive her cancer while her kids are small, they will be at the mercy of idiot Johnny and his girlfriend. Shame on him.

March 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  8. Cindy

I knew eventually that Rielle would break her silence and cash in to the highest bidder. She was after all always after the dough wasn't she!? I find her interview to be a joke and her pictures to be trashy. She is doing nothing but making herself look stupider than she obviously already is. I hope that 360 isn't going to give this woman 30 minutes of their TV time that could be better used on more important issues.

Cindy..Ga.

March 15, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Sounds like a great show coming up – except for the health care bit; I have to admit to being over that one. Rielle Hunter ought to cash in on her notoriety and write a book about her affair with Edwards. She and the baby Quinn may need the money one day. And right now its probably a book that would sell well.

And more that the Catholic Church has hidden – as a Catholic I wish I could say I'm surprised but I'm not. It is too bad though that all these cases coming to light don't make the church re-examine its position on celibacy and other issues rather than cling to the self-inflicted chains of imprisonment in antiquated ideas. If they did that they might update their positions some and stem the outward flow of members from the church to other faiths.

March 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm |