March 10th, 2010

Sean Penn's Mission in Haiti: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, actor Sean Penn on his efforts to help quake survivors in Haiti. Why are the homeless still in limbo nearly two months after the disaster? We're keeping them honest. Plus, big questions being raised after  the arrest of the Pennsylvania woman who goes by the name "Jihad Jane" and the Islamic extremists here in the U.S. who support her.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

What a great Kid! what a great story! Thanks Randi!

March 10, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gang members get their power in numbers. They are powerless on their own.

March 10, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Nancy in Oregon

Great 911 dispatch woman.

March 10, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Adelaide

Thank heaven for little boys...

March 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Paula, Colorado

The little boy has a lot of courage–it's great no one was hurt.

March 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Charlotte

Good night Anderson and 360 staff bloggers great show!!!!

March 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Cessy-Chicago

I think Carlos deserves a AC360 shirt!

amazing boy!!!

March 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think many kids that join gangs are looking for acceptance because they don't have it in their every day lives.

March 10, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Darcy

In my opinion tents are useless in Haiti. What material is a tent made of if it's storm resistant. Hopefully bthere will be building standards when they actually start rebuilding. If they 're going to repeat the mess that got them into this...there is no sense even starting.

March 10, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Emily

What a GREAT Big Brother!!! awww....

March 10, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Kelly

I think Carlos should win the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I don't think I would have been able to do that...and I'm 21. Let alone at 7! Good job!

March 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Vivian - Montreal

Isn't there some sort of anonymous hotline that they can set up for info into these crimes in Hollenbeck?

March 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Emily

@Lynn RN form Iowa,

Congradulations on all that you have been doing in Haiti!
    That's outstanding!
    Thanks for sharing it with us. 🙂

March 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  14. joe russo

I think we need to take our out of work contractors here and send them there and pay them with all the money we donated

March 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Devin

Living in the ghetto isnt a death sentence Ive lived there and im doing fine yeah i saw a couple of bad things here and there but you can acualy live there and not die and you can rise above it

March 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Is great what Oscar de la Hoya is doing with this high school! For me is really important to try to show to this kids that they can do better, and the best way to show them that is to give them an appropriate education and that they can do something better for their lives, I know the problem of the gangs is Terrible but I believe that there is a lot of kids who are there just waiting to be rescued!

March 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Nancy in Oregon

It's an interesting idea, Starr....gang-hood is a form of terrorism, you're right.

March 10, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Vince

That's a great success story in the midst of the gang violence in Hollenbeck. Starts with strong family values and a choice to take the right path at an early age- there is some guidance in this story...

March 10, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  19. sue r

This is a sad ,,but neverending story.

March 10, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Danie T.

It's hard to believe this is happening in America – it looks like authorities are helpless... people will never talk if they don't have the assurance they will be protected...

March 10, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Christine - Houston, Texas

I can't even wrap my mind around the whole "snitch" thing.
    I always imagined gang members being the toughest people around, but as it turns out, they're the most afraid...?

March 10, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  22. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Great report about gangs Anderson! Gang mentality is mind boggling~

March 10, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Emily

@Nicole from the Netherlands,

So glad to see you on the Blog tonight!
    I hope that you make it tomorrow!
    Father Boyle is AMAZING!!! (In my opinion)
    I'm SO glad that AC has interviewed him again.

March 10, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, Emily....one child raised and surrounded by a strong core of love for family, and the other, who knows.....? But if she has made suicide attempts, she is a very sad and hopeless person.

March 10, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Taking away the fear is easier said than done.

If they stop glamorizing the gangs in movies and in rap music and start giving them a negative reputation maybe it would help.

March 10, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  26. A. Smith, Oregon

It's not 'snitch' its 'dead informant'. The Police will tell you they aren't going to protect you and guard your home 24/7. After you testify, your lifespan could be drastically shorter.

March 10, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Glen in Tucson

Good evening Anderson

Just a thought on the Housing issue. Has anybody thought about using the old shipping containers. Instant structures that are weather proof. Welders with a torch could do wonders. Plan it out an have an instant city. Reuse what we already have.

March 10, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Nancy

Alan Paton said it in Cry, The Beloved Country – there will always be native crime without worthy goals and worthy purposes. Oscar De La Hoya had worthy goals and worthy purposes.

March 10, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Cessy-Chicago

Anderson..I think the notion of good citizenship is now about survival.

March 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  30. starr, formerly known as vincent

Can gang activity be considered a form of "terrorism".(domestic)

And, if so, why can't they be arrested, tried and put in prison?

God bless Oscar De La Hoya for the work he is doing.

March 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Sabrina in Los Angeles

In a strange way, I can only hope that others see that this boy who called 911 to tell what was occurring in his home, was Harold as a hero for calling.

The culture is not to tell what is happening but this child did and stood up to them...I hope the older children (teens) see that this was the right thing to do.

Not a snitch...good thing in society.

March 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Danielle - Los Angeles

I think Oscar should be commended for the work that he's doing in his old neighborhood.

33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I agree with you and others, I am also anti-gang, there are so horrible for parents lost 2 sons, There are so terrible violence gangs on the street..... That is so sad, so dangerous on the street.... 😦 Agreed, Thanks for update Hollenbeck story, I also agree with Oscar De La Hoya.

34. charlie

The idea of people walking the streets carrying lethal weaponry is just horrifying. The death rates in US cities exceed those of some civil wars. Northern Ireland never got this bad. the worst year had about 400 deaths in a population of 1.5 Million.

35. Vivian - Montreal

So many earthquakes, floods, snow storms this year... and a lot of crazy people crawling out of the woodwork.

36. lori

I do agree that it does start at home. I have heard that participation in gangs in LA go back generations.

37. Jo Ann

Go Kennedy, Lori, you must not have known his father..Teddy. Who is reporting on the wars, and the lives lost?? I watched him on c-span!! People believe the media.... like Fox News!!!! The media influences politics... in what we believe.

38. Devin

I like that boxing guy his ausome!
    On the jihad thing its just weird that people can just threaten to kill everyone and be so ........crazy

39. Emily

This is a great interview w/Oscar De La Hoya!
    He is SO Correct!!! (it starts @ HOME!!)

I just love this "Hollenbeck Series" that AC has been doing this week!

40. Cessy-Chicago

dela Hoya is a great example of someone that was strong enough to look the other way and focus on the future. And look what has become of him. A successful man!

41. Nancy in Oregon

Gloria, he's a little boy....he was begging for all the authority figures he knew to name, to come save his family. Of course he included soldiers in his plea.

42. Charlotte

Anderson I have enjoyed the stories on hollenbeck so much be safe

43. Adelaide

@Valery Lyman
    You are right! I know someone who went into labor while playing a basketball game! she had no idea she was pregnant...

44. Jonas Marcel

i unsderstand like every else the situation because i have my very close relatives living there in that terrible condition,but i would still raising my voice loudely to tell the international community to be very virgilent , what i mean by that for them to always the control of the money and i thing almost everybody would agree with me. Please Anderson help us to do this job as you always do, and thank you for the good job you are doing

March 10, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Nancy in Oregon

And remember, 'the media' are not the only 'bad guys'....consumers must buy it, at some large rate, or they would not continue the focus on sensationalism instead of on objective reportage and analysis.

March 10, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Emily

I don't understand this "Code of Silence" at ALL!
    Why is it that the Police have not been able to break that?
    Why can't they move them, and give them new ID's etc?
    Why can't they protect someone?

March 10, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  47. David, Indiana

@A. Smith Oregon Thanks it's good to know that since the tents and domes are way more durable and substantial that those plastic tarps. I've seen tents in Miami Herald photographs, tunnel tents, but had not heard or read about dome tents in use or being shipped.

@Starr Yes, I looked into the domes because of your post a few weeks ago. There does seem to be a variety of dome shelters from temporary to solid housing to permanent housing. It would be good to know how organizations like the Clinton foundation and the Haitian govt is approaching this.

March 10, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Cessy-Chicago

tough job for these officers....

March 10, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think they will ever be able to end "stop snitchin."

March 10, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  50. starr, formerly known as vincent

Live by the gun, die by the gun. These killings are so unnecessary!

We really need to educate, educate our children that gangs are not the answer! And, no "snitching" is not cool either.
    If people can get out of gangs without being killed, why can't witnesses be protected?

March 10, 2010 at 10:40 pm |