March 10th, 2010

Sean Penn's Mission in Haiti: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, actor Sean Penn on his efforts to help quake survivors in Haiti. Why are the homeless still in limbo nearly two months after the disaster? We're keeping them honest. Plus, big questions being raised after  the arrest of the Pennsylvania woman who goes by the name "Jihad Jane" and the Islamic extremists here in the U.S. who support her.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Nancy in Oregon,
    It's really something, (Jihad Jane & Carlos)

March 10, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Heather - Spokane, WA

This whole code of silence and 'stop snitching' thing has to stop, its ridiculous

March 10, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  3. charlie

The level of deaths due to gangs, is caused by gun availability.
    Most developed countries ban guns. period. and gang violence is mostly knife violence. The death rate is a tiny fraction.
    The underlying problems do still need to be addressed but more teens live long enough to grow or recover out of the gangs.

March 10, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Nancy in Oregon

I agree with him too, Casey, but I think more was going on for him than just 'passion for a cause'. It sounded like his whole 'reason for being' was wrapped up in that.

March 10, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you....... Rep Patrick Kennedy is absolutely right about media....... I agree with him, I am supporting him, Yes, He have to right angry about Media.

March 10, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. A. Smith, Oregon

If a police dispatcher or patrol officer is on the drug cartel payroll, they can easily look up informant names, address's, place of employment etc. Those that are keeping silent from gang violence know this.

March 10, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Kellie

It's so easy to blame the government of haiti because of pass reputation. The reality is that The UN and the NOGs been taking haiti aid money for decades. The UN is getting paid 640 million dollars a year from Haiti aid funds. There are more than 10,000 NGOs in haiti. Why is that? Anybody who is been to haiti can tell you that these people are super richm they live in mansions, drive the nicest cars while the people are dying of hunger.

March 10, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Cessy-Chicago

yeap! killed by his own gang... like I said, there is NO loyalty in gangs

March 10, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

He said "Soldiers too!" Let's make it a real "Rambo" shall we.

March 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

It's amazing the Story of Carlos! What a brave kid!

Corey Haim is dead??? Noooo! I adore him, I am 33 years old and practically he was one of my favorite actors in the 80's, I love his movies specially License to drive!! I can`t bellieve he' s dead! Another hollywood actor that we lose too soon!

March 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  11. lori

Those gangs are such a dead end. What a waste of life.

March 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Nancy in Oregon

We didn't have 911 when I was little...and I can't remember being taught to call the Operator, 'O'....we were mainly taught to climb out a window and run for help!

March 10, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Valery Lyman

Anderson, I work on that show – I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant. I have interviewed the families, it's actually quite incredible, and way more common than you think. Some women barely gain any weight and show literally no signs. The ones I interviewed had no idea they were pregnant until they went into labor. Then they thought they were dying. Until baby popped out. Crazy.

March 10, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I agree completely with Kennedy about the media posturing. I want to hear real news, not trivial, sensational, shocking sound bites and pseudo-opinions. Why can;t the media actually report on bills and voting records and actually make an effort to educate us about things that really matter?

March 10, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Robert Kennedy is a distant relative from the Brian Boru lineage.

We are passionate about what we do and try to champion the meek.

The media needs to note all facets of things going on but I know that is not always easy to do.

It takes someone passionately yelling to bring that attention back.

March 10, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. starr, formerly known as vincent

Casey-CA

Like your post. Can we really shut down these sites? Do we have legal garounds? Perhaps under Hate Speech laws?

March 10, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Sandi Gilliland

I understand food and clothing, medication and money are being provided to the Haitian people, but how about pre-fabricated homes being flown into Haiti by the US Military, especially since AC-360 aired people living in tent tarp cities.

Also, I would like to hear more about the earthquake in Chile.

Thank you CNN AC-360 for your newsworthy reporting.

March 10, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Danie T.

I didn't know I was pregnant! I still find those stories hard to believe

March 10, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Claus

I'm not sure what exactly Patrick said but he certainly took on his father's presentation style with the passion.

March 10, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Charlotte

Once when my little boy was two and half I fell and hit by head . I really didn't need medical attenton but the police came to see if I was ago.also they told my son they good not belive he knew to dial 911

March 10, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Vince

That is fricky – how do you not know that you a pregnant – we expect that the baby moves inside...

March 10, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Nancy in Oregon

Lori, he probably had more going on than conviction about the issue.

March 10, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Sabrina in Los Angeles

It is very sad that Corey Haim passed away.

Drugs take a toll on the body even after you stop.

The over the counter drugs could have messed things up for him.

IT is very sad.

He was a good actor. I wish his mom well. Sorry for her loss.

March 10, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  24. A. Smith, Oregon

Lol, Gates photo looks like a colonic advertisement.

March 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Cessy-Chicago

didnt even know she is pregnant????

...well, I didnt even know I was FAT ( no, not really- just kidding!)

March 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Emily. On the one hand you have a desperately insecure, hateful 'Jihad Jane', and on the other you have this fabulous little boy.....probably very different early lives, too.

March 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  27. charlie

I agree with Kennedy's sentiment at least.
    What the press chooses to focus on is often ridiculous.

March 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Vivian - Montreal

@Don–Yes, but the people at ports want bribes.

March 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Helen

I agree with the congressman. Sex scandal takes too much 24/7 news.

March 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  30. lori

Boy, I have never seen any official worked up to such a level!

March 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Adelaide

@Ron
    "I have given to several aid orgs to help Haiti. I now feel like it's gone to fraud. How do I know?"

Those aid organizations as well as the Haitian government must be held accountable for aid they received. They must be pressured into doing so..

March 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  32. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

kennedy is upset. He lost it! He's right too!

March 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Emily

RIP Corey Haim @>–

I heard that his mother is fighting cancer. All the best to her, and my thoughts and prayers are with her at this time.

March 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Barbara

Seed needs to be planted in Haiti before the heavy rains come. When will the funds be available for seeds. Agriculture will be the future for Haiti

March 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  35. A. Smith, Oregon

Good news from Gates, did he deliver a 500 million bribe to the Taliban? Time for America to pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

March 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Claus

Nice work, Carlos!!

March 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  37. jacqueline

Good evening all.

March 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Emily

Wow, what a contrast!
    Seeing "Jihad Jane", and then that little man, Carlos. 🙂
    I'm looking forward to seeing his press conference!

@7yrs old, what a HERO!

March 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Helen

@Lynn RN Iowa: Great job Lynn!

March 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Devin,
    Jihad Jane was coverted by Muslim against U.S. she is terrorist.

March 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  41. charlie

I think any jury could see somehting wrong with what those guys are doing outside teh mosque.
    If the law does not see it , then it might be time to change the law?

March 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  42. starr, formerly known as vincent

Terrific report by Drew! Really informative.

Sometimes i think the 1st Ammendment comes back to bite us. But, it's worked for over 200 yrs.

Most Americans are not likely to get involved with terrorists!

March 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

Carlos is not only brave, he is able to think on his feet. He will go far.

March 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Oh, may God always bless the family!

March 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Kelly

I don't think I would have been as brave, and calm as that little boy who called 9-1-1. Thank goodness I have a big dog!

March 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Can someone please help me understand the hold up on the aid that Sean Penn mentioned? How does the threshold question relate to that?

I did not realize that so many member of the Haitian govt perished in quake. How is the Haitian govt planning to house the people in those camps? Are they planning their next move? What will be the steps they proceed to take.

March 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Vivian - Montreal

Oh my god! That poor child must have been terrified! I am just listening to the 911 call.

March 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Nancy in Oregon

Christine, war is sickening, you are right. They must see it as a war...and we are the 'bad guys'. It shows what human beings can do when we think someone else is the 'bad guy'.

March 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Kim- Ohio

Carlos what a brave little boy!!!

March 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Tatiana

Carlos is one brave, intelligent, little boy.

March 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |