March 10th, 2010

Sean Penn's Mission in Haiti: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, actor Sean Penn on his efforts to help quake survivors in Haiti. Why are the homeless still in limbo nearly two months after the disaster? We're keeping them honest. Plus, big questions being raised after  the arrest of the Pennsylvania woman who goes by the name "Jihad Jane" and the Islamic extremists here in the U.S. who support her.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nicole from the Netherlands

Hello everyone!! Little late, I remember the reporting on Haiti and the history of this poor robbed country. Wouldn´t give a dime to the government. There has been an conference on Haiti wright? There has got to come an intelligent fast solution for these people.. Sean Penn is doing very good work!

March 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Cessy-Chicago

so if these revolution muslims get financial support from overseas, what is our government doing about this?

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Sean

@Tony Mendicino, what government is not corrupted? Did you know these humanitarian aid are not free money? Haiti has to repay those pledge money with sometimes high interest. Haiti is a sovereign country that is been undermined by the international community for a long time.

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Marilynn

I appreciate Sean's efforts to keep us informed. Through whom should we donate? I heard the Red Cross was holding back funds.

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Heather - Spokane, WA

I keep asking this and yet it still baffles me......if these people do not like America or Americans, why are they here?

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Danie T.

Another deranged person/group out there – this is dangerous. Why can't we all just get along?

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

These are bitter and aimless lost souls who promote hate through religion. Then again, religion is the devils playground. Cowards.

The CIA participates in all sorts of questionable and nasty activities to protect the U.S. all over the world, so why won't they just shut down these sites that threaten our well-being and security?

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Helen

@Devin: a geeky computer name who could have cause some serious damage because we are only concentrating on arab looking men.

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am glad "Jihad Jane" arrested by FBI!!! What was she thinking, I understand why she hates this againsts us tonight!

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  10. lori

I just do not support free speach for these people.

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Emily

@Tatiana,

No Problem! 😀
    My thoughts & prayers are with everyone in Haiti.
    I hope that things really do start to turn around for the better.
    Perhaps everything in Haiti can really rebuild for all of you. Politics, Homes, everything! All the world has is hoping for the best.

It really is unfair that these natural disaters should hit Haiti, yet I see SO much hope! 🙂

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  12. john Laforme

mike from Ont. Canada
    Hello Mr. Cooper,

I hope that something is done for the folks in Haiti as far as shelter goes anyhow because soon they will not only be in the rainy wet conditions they are in now but they will also be facing the hurricane season this could be very bad for them with no shelter what so ever with the exceptionof some sheets blankets and some tents if they are lucky I suspect most of these people are still sleeping in the streets God Help Them.
    Surely there must be some help for these people available

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  13. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ William Armstrong, retired Navy

What a great idea using large containers or truck containers.

Would they be safe for earthquakes?

March 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Tatiana

I meant Anti-US groups

March 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Christine - Texas

Just visited the revolution muslim website...
    It's absolutely terrifying that any human being could ever believe that 9/11 was "justified".

Makes me sick.

March 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Cessy-Chicago

"americans will always be a legitimate target"... and he lives in OUR country?

March 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Karl, Florida

I agreed with Sean Penn about relocating those people to the country side, and the Haitian government needs to be decentralized. Otherwise, the country will split. We will have 4 countries on this small island.

March 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Devin

Is anyone not a target of radical islam?

March 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "I wonder if any one at any of them were doing a fund raiser or something? "

I guess that is a possibility, but no matter how big these celebs talk about helping the less fortunate they never deny themselves their luxuries.

March 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Jimmy.. Erika Roman Foundation

Mr Anderson, You need to do an Expose on following the money trail going to Haiti. I'm hearing alot of stuff about The Red Cross keeping about 175 million that was suppose to go to Haiti. Also The Child trafficing is running wild in Haiti. Please do stories on thses two topics. People are dying and kids are being abused. Thank you and God bless!!!!

March 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Vivian - Montreal

These so called terrorists have to much time on their hands.

March 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Lynn RN form Iowa

Anderson/Sean

In regards to Haiti, I have been there and I have seen the desperation. I spent 2 weeks there providing medical care after the earthquake and know that even those with a structure to seek refuge in, won't due to fear of further quakes and PTSD. So, it really is the entire population of the port-au-prince area that is without shelter and being exposed to the elements and now facing even more death and devastation. Keep speaking out Sean. I know these people. They are stronger than any I have ever had the privledge of knowing.

March 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That what a lot of people say that Haiti is less then an hour of way in flight, and yet it is in a horrific poor condition.

March 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Ron

I have given to several aid orgs to help Haiti. I now feel like it's gone to fraud. How do I know?
    Ron

March 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Jerry

Why not use the world wide glut of shipping containers as shelter for the Haitians? They have actuall been converted into permanent housing in Charleston, SC.

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Cessy-Chicago

re: Jihad-Jane supporters and the people of the revolutionary muslims... do these people work are WE, taxpayers supporting them?
    why can they get arrested?

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  27. lori

Ms Jihad Jane looks very mean.

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Nancy E. Warren

What can we do to help the people of Hati. Will more money be needed and where can we send it. They will need to be moved and provided with tents immediately, how can I help so they have the shelter they need during the rainy season that is coming.

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Tatiana

Wait a second! if they are anti-U groups, what the hell are they doing living in NY city? Gosh! This is scary.

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Don

For housing.

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Dorothy Kammerer

During huricane Katrina we purchased all of these mobile trailers and
    stored them in Georgia. They are sitting there rrotting. Give them to the Haitians to keep them dry. It would be tight Quarters, but at least they will be dry.

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Nancy in Oregon

I'm sure the cartoon was an insult to many....but life is full of insults, sometimes very personal ones. People cannot kill everyone who insults them. How thin-skinned is that, anyway?! And how insecure are we, really, when we think it right to kill someone who insults us?!

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

Just looking at the woman who calls herself Jihad Jane, you can see the hatred she has, its sad

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I can't believe the evils done under the name of religion or God.

March 10, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    Carlos is doing great job call right away 911 saves his family, when robbers break-in their home, Congrats Carlos!!!!!!

March 10, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  36. charlie

Numbers of wealthy, democratic countries in Europe have uncovered homegrown terrorsists. Why would anyone expect that the % of terrrorists and their sympathizers would be lower in the US ?

March 10, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  37. A. Smith, Oregon

Jihad Jane definitely appears to have mental illness and a recent history of suicide attempts. Is the FBI going to round up all the people spewing hate in the thousands of Muslim mosques in America or is she just a scapegoat?

March 10, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Dr Kobus Visser

Mr Penn, I listened to your on CNN a few minutes ago and I salute you for the courage of your convictions and the way in which you are working to ease the pain of a devastated Haiti. I respect you immensely for the work that you are doing.

March 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Zach

Anderson is so awesome. Thanks for keeping Hati in the news and can't wait to see more of the Hollenbeck news.

March 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Devin

I dislike Jihad Jane what kind of name is that it sounds like a geeky computer name

March 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Vivian - Montreal

@Karoline-California

I did research on prefab houses too– nobody listens! The only thing on their minds were tents. It;s too bad.

March 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  42. kevin

AC - Thanks to you and to Sean Penn for highlighting Haiti's need. Great point that it could be an example of how to lift other countries up and out of poverty as well.

March 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Don

Has anyone thought about collecting and sending donated cargo ship containers from all the different ports around the world?

March 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Nancy in Oregon

Jo Ann, the juxtaposition of luxury vs poverty is shocking. I hear you.

March 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Bettie

I have been very involved in social media working on behalf of Haiti and the waste, lack of response, failure of large NGOs, and primarily the actions of the UN is appalling. Whatever the long term plan is for Haiti, much oversight work by intelligent business people will be needed by someone other than the UN. Their actions have been abominable–using tear gas, running over people in the streets, riding around in their Land Rovers and ignoring the people who are desperate for help.

March 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  46. sue r

Good evening everyone. does the haiti government have a plan to get the hatian people into safe shelters before the heavy rain season sets in?

March 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Devin

I dilike jihad Jane what kind of name is that?

March 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Ring, Phoenix, AZ

What is the government doing to stop Jihad Jane's from forming within our borders.

March 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Sharline Nabulime

Thank for all you are doing. My question is why hasn't the Haitian Government made an effort to move people out of the city so that the rebuilding can commence. I trust that they have land titles to identify land owners. What is the hold-up?

March 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm sorry but I have little interest in celebrities and their 'Cause du Jour,' as noble or sincere as their intentions may be. In this case I believe Sean Penn in very sincere and I do believe he will follow-through. But I always have to ask myself,"Why can't we take care of our own poor, weak and hungry?"

March 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm |