March 8th, 2010

Homicide in Hollenbeck: Join the AC360° Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, we take you back to Hollenbeck, an area in L.A., where we brought you a documentary on gangs five years ago. Has the stop snitchin' code changed? Plus, we're keeping them honest in Haiti. As the rains pour down in Haiti, thousands of quake survivors still don't have tents to stay dry. Why? We'll talk to the Red Cross.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Danie T.

Unfortunately I see no light or hope for the poor people in Haiti I hope I am just being pessimistic – Like always a small group of people will get rich/richer from this and the people that are suffering will be forgotten... Thanks so much Anderson and AC360 for trying to keep the situation in Haiti alive... Luv ya!

March 8, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Gail Duncan

Who is in charge in Haiti? Oh please keep on this. Saddens me to see how those needing help are pushed aside when coverage leaves.

March 8, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Nancy in Oregon

Emily, for me it's a matter of regularity. If I lived in an area that was annually assaulted by such danger, it would eat into my quality of life! Something happens everywhere, eventually....but that's a far cry from having regular seasons of danger.

March 8, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Kim- Ohio

Thanks for the follow up on Haiti.

March 8, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Danielle - Los Angeles

I'm glad that CNN continues to update us on the efforts in Haiti, most networks have moved on.

March 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  6. lori

Haiti has hurricanes also?

March 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Emily

Today (Monday) is a great day for that one woman to be released on...being International Women's Day. I wonder what is going to happen next? (w/Laura S.)

March 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Bill Roberts

Mr. Cooper,

One of the key elemets in the health care debate is competition – or lack thereo. An element that no one, NO ONE has addressed is the anti-trust exemption that is enjoyed by health insurance companies – exemption from Sherman Anti-trust laws. Insurance companies – who one would think are in competition with each other – share information on rates, costs and every other measureable activity – without any concern about the Justice Department asking if they might be fixing prices – because they are exempt from Sherman Anti-trust laws. Could Buger King and McDonalds legally dicsuss the cost of beef – NO! Two doctors meet for lunch and talk about the the cost of an specific procedure – violation of Federal Law. Insurance companies are doing what they are supposed to do – make money- just like oil companies, car companies and every other company. What we need to decide as a country is decide if health care is a business or a benefit (right) we provide to our citizens.

March 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  9. A. Smith, Oregon

Hurricaines vs Tents = no contest! What are people outside of Haiti thinking? Haiti has received 2.2 Billion dollars in aid, where are the permanent homes being built from that enormus amount of money? Tents do not survive Hurricanes, even grammar school children know that!

March 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Vince

Great to hear that the updates on Haiti will be continuous . The rainy season is upon the island and that is certainly not good... we hope that there is some sort of a plan.

March 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Cessy-Chicago

more reason to continue to give. and pray. for Haiti

March 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Karin Urban, from Berlin/Germany

I would like to hear more about the situationin Haiti.
    By the way, yesterday we had a footballplay Haiti versus a team of senior german players for charity. It took place in Augsburg (the town Wolf Blitzer was born) and the Haitians won I think 5:2. The event was connectet with a telethon, I don’t know how much money was collectet, but I am glad that Haiti is not forgotten . Have there ever been so many earthquakes in so short time?

March 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Nancy in Oregon

I'm glad she's still in custody, really. She needs to have the point driven home to her. She masterminded the whole 'rescue', based on her own needs, it sounds like to me. Of course, this probably just makes her feel all the more righteous and persecuted!!

March 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Anderson
    You're right, too!! Very scary one!!!!

@Gloria,
    Yup!!!!! You are absolutely right! We aren't either too. LOL! 🙂 Agreed!

March 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Paula Wall RN Case Manager

Hi Anderson, The government should expand the Healthy People 2010 grant to reward Healthy people. I am a Nurse Case Manager have worked in Private health insurance and work comp. I recently changed jobs. Insurance companies are not the lone culprits of increasing insurance premium/contribution rates to new employees. Employers are shopping and putting 90 day qualifying time to new hires. I had to carry Cobra to prevent a potential laspe in coverage while I changed Jobs. Employers need to provide coverage sooner than 90 days, and reward employees like myself that obtain annual physicals to maintain and improve my health and provide ongoing coverage between jobs. I should receive a HUGE tax break on my fitness membership (showing I attend minimum of 3 times per week, I dont smoke, I am not overweight, and I have annual mammograms/cholesterol/lipid testing to keep my vital signs in good form.
    We should also be given discounts for being healthy. Insurance companies should PROMOTE health but they DONT! They want you to be sick. The largest discount I have received was 5% while my co employees with poor health choices: heavy smoking/drinking. and who abuse the Emergency room. Why doesnt the government REWARD HEALTHY people with a HUGE tax break: Diabetes costs a lot of money, so does the effects of smoking and inactivity. Just my thoughts from what I have seen. Motivate all to stay healthy!!!!!

March 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Don

I live in Kansas and the chance of a tornado getting you are pretty slim

March 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  17. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Kim-OH Must be adrenaline lovers. However, the info that they collect has helped meteorology a great deal.

@Megan-your right, our President is fighting hard for benefits (health) for All America. I wish he had been this passionate and involved before now.

March 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  18. lori

Thank you anderson for following up on the missionaries in Haiti. Interesting story

March 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"That was just "ugly, God don't like ugliness!"

March 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Karen, MN

Everyone at the Ocars looked so worried last night. It didn't look like they were having fun. I would be thrilled just to be there.

March 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  21. A. Smith, Oregon

The former co-producer Elinor Burkett definitely seemed rude, pushy and not unlike many 'Oscar Moments' of the past. Thankfully, it appears the Oscar's have adopted the 'Hook' to turn off the microphone when an nominee stumbles into a incoherent, rambling, bumbling speech, or goes over their allotted time-span. She was removed from the production staff on May of last year! Why was she even on stage?

March 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Starr

Maybe this guys are a little of both: out of their minds and extremely brave!That's probably the combination that makes them do this kind of things!

I was wondering if you guys will be talking about Haiti soon, so right now I am happy that in a minute you'll informe us and give us a update about what's going on in this place, that unfortunately everybody forgot!

That was a crazy moment in the Oscars, I am Happy about Bullock and Bigelow winning! But sad because Avatar didn't win the best picture award!

March 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Emily

@Nancy in Oregon,

"What a rude woman at the awards....she just had to jam herself in there, didn't she?"

It's my first time seeing this, however, it almost seems like they wanted to top last year...it that when the K.West bit happened?

March 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Kim- Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon...I say that about earthquakes...I guess some have earthquakes, some have tornadoes, some have hurricanes....I guess the better question....where is the safest place to live????

March 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Cessy-Chicago

best speech was from Christoph Waltz....

March 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

Well, Curtis, yes and no....not necessarily on such a regular, extreme, seasonal, predictable basis.

March 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. patty caballero

How can all of these politicians get on tv and say most Americans are happy with their health care coverage? 12 years ago I paid $87 per month for 90/10 coverage (which does not exist any more) and I now pay almost $700 per month for 80/20 coverage and I have to travel 38 miles and past 3 clinics to get to the only walk-in clinic available to me under my insurance plan? Maybe we should look at the high cost of insurance and how it is causing companies to have to offer "sub-standard" insurance to employees. Just because you can get insurance through an employer does not mean we have access to affordable health care.

March 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Lucas

I am 30. I am employed by UPS, they have great benefits! 5 years ago i was diagnosed with MS. Since then due to illness i've fallen many times and have 4 herniated disks 2 bulging. I have been out 10 and 1/2 months with benefits. If I do not return to work before May 5th I lose my job and benefits. I'm 100% disabled but to COBRA would cost more than my disability payment. You must be on federal disability 2 years before you qualify for benefits or so I have been told. Then most of my doctors don't accept that insurance and the costs to me are still great. How do I live, what do I do? I have worked since 15 almost always with 2 jobs at most 4. Do i deserve anything?

March 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Nancy in Oregon

(Rude and needy too, the woman at the Oscars....or drunk?!)

March 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Vivian - Mtl.

sounds like the insurance companies are trying to get more money for nothing - they even try to get out of covering expensive bills by claiming you weren't covered for that -then end up with a big BONUS

March 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. CURTIS

@Nancy...no matter where we live, there will always be some natural threat that we have to deal with. Be it floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, or whatever...

March 8, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  32. charlie

I am always amazed at the way the thought of having a "government bureaucrat " between you and your doctor is used as a threat yet the idea of an insurance corporation bureaucrat (whose bonus may depend on finding a way to deny you coverage ) is seen as benign. There are endless examples in fact of the corporations denying coverage. Search the "socialized" medicine around the world and you will find it hard to locate such cases where public health administrators have grounds or motivation to deny coverage.

March 8, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Brad Parisly is doing ok, he was out of hospital.

March 8, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Emily

looking forward to the Update on Haiti!

March 8, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Nancy in Oregon

March 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

I'm reading many of the comments on the blog tonight and they are insightful about the need for people to take responsibility in their own communities, and that is absolutely true. I got the impression from the post on the blog though that inroads have been made in reducing crime in Hollenbeck.

What I'm getting from the discussion on insurance is that costs are being driven upward in part by the fluctuations in what an ins market that is voluntary. So am I hearing that the ins industry wants and is prepared to accept a committment to compulsory insurance?

I didn't see the President's speech today but my impression is that President Obama opened up the conversation with the insurance agencies directly talking to that industry. Probably good to bring them into a direct and open back and forth conversation.

Good evening Stephanie Elam.

March 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Isabel, Brasil

Anderson, you're right! Yes, bizarre moment!

March 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Kim- Ohio

@Starr...I would say completely out of their minds...that's what they live for though!!!

March 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Danie T.

Good evening everyone! Happy Monday 🙁 Mother Nature has not been a happy camper for some reason!

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Nancy in Oregon

I can't imagine living in country where tornados are normal!

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Doug

Obviously Mike Tuffin refused to answer Anderson's question on why he would not discuss issues directly with Wendell Potter. The insurance companies want to keep their excessive profits, no matter that people pay ever higher premiums, and those who need healthcare most are often uninsured – all allow those high profits to continue.

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Emily

amazing that no one was hurt!

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Anna in Itasca, Ill

We also need to reform Hospitals and doctors charges. Those are the people that rob us blind. If we pay 10 dollars for slipers and comb, and 100 dollars for aspirin. This is outragous. They should learn how to go to the Walmart and buy aspirin for 10 dollars for 100 pils. This has been going on for years.

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Karen, MN

Those storm chasers are crazy getting that close to a tornado. Great video!

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Jan MacMillan

I live in Canada and one year ago had 17 hours of spinal surgery that would have cost me and my children my home. The cost to me $8.00 for the phone. The insurance companies in the U.S. are simply greedy. This is not socialism..it's common sense. Let OBAMA get it done.

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@A. Smith, everyone is required to purchase car insurance in most states. It's the only way to spread risk and ensure everyone is covered when they need it.

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Vivian – Mtl.
    Yes. She is. (Laura Sisbly)

Wow!!!! My goodness!!!! There is tornado strikes in Okaholma!!!! Ouch! Thanks Andy Garbielson!!!! Andy was good job take video caught tornado!!!!

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"I got a feeling that we are not in Kansas anymore, Toto!"

March 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  49. A. Smith, Oregon

Global Warming is bound to increase the number of tornado's. Scientists in the Arctic regions have confirmed it is spewing out gigantic amounts of Methane Gas into the atmosphere now, higher than the past 400,000 years and climbing.

March 8, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Claus

Mr. Tuffin is very informative. Thanks for having him own. There certainly is need for further understanding. He's saying some people chose not to have coverage as a private individual. We need healthy people as well as sick people buying private coverage. Companies cannot be expected to just cover sick people when those people sign up only after becoming ill. It's like Medicare, everyone needs to pay, both the healthy and the sick.

March 8, 2010 at 10:37 pm |