[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/POLITICS/03/05/911.trial/story.ksm.fbi.jpg caption="White House is considering a military trial for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed." width=300 height=169]
The White House is considering recommending accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed be tried in a military court, a senior administration official tells CNN.
That would reverse Attorney General Eric Holder's plan unveiled back in November to have him tried in a civilian court in New York City, just blocks from where the World Trade Center stood.
"I am confident in the ability of our courts to provide these defendants a fair trial, just as they have for over 200 years," Holder said last fall.
Since that announcement Holder's plan has faced bipartisan opposition. Just last month he said the Justice Department "will have to take into account" the views of political leaders and others.
Some lawmakers on Capitol Hill argue Mohammed should be treated as a prisoner of war.
"These are not common criminals. They are war criminals and they should be treated according to the rules of the law of war... held by the military, interrogated for information that will protect Americans and help us win this war," said Sen. Joe Lieberman today a Connecticut independent and Chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee.
Meanwhile, New York police have said the civilian court route would cost the city $200 million a year in a trial that could last years. They would need to set up 2,00 security checkpoints in lower Manhattan.
The American Civil Liberties Union is blasting the potential trial change.
"If the president flip-flops and retreats to the Bush military commissions, he will betray his campaign promise to restore the rule of law, demonstrate his principles are up for grabs and lose all credibility with Americans who care about justice and the rule of law," said Anthony Romero, executive director of the ACLU.
We'll have the raw politics of the possible new terror trial plan.
We also have new details on the California man who died after a shootout with Pentagon police. Investigators say John Patrick Bedell, 36, opened fire and wounded two officers last night. We learned today from California authorities Bedell had a history of mental health problems. The sheriff of San Benito County, California also says Bedell was reported missing by his family two months ago. He eventually returned home and at that point his mother thought he might have bought a gun. Records also show Bedell had other run-ins with police over the years. We'll have that information and show you what seems to be his internet rants against the government. John Avlon says Bedell is the latest example of a suicidal warrior in an anti-government movement that's spreading since Pres. Obama took office last year. Avlon shares his view tonight on 360°.
And, there's a new sex scandal linked to the Vatican. This time two laypeople, an usher and choir member, are accused of being part of a gay prostitution ring that allegedly involved members of the seminary.
We also have an Oscars preview for you. Anderson chatted with Kelly Ripa about her Academy Award picks.
We also did some research to uncover the keys to winning. Don't forget to join our live Oscar blog hosted by 360° Producer/Writer Jack Gray on Sunday night. It's your chance to weigh in about the fashion scene, the speeches and winners/losers.
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with