March 4th, 2010

Pentagon Shooting: Join the AC360° Live Chat

We're following breaking news at the Pentagon where a man has opened fire and wounded two police officers. The police fired back critically wounding the suspect. We'll have the latest developments. Plus, killer waves hit a cruise ship in the Mediterranean. How did it happen? Could the captain and crew see the danger?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

To think that more people would be attracted to a photo of Obama as The Joker, rather than ideas that differ from his.... I personally find that insulting.

March 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Devin

@Nicole from the Netherlands Im just glad im not the only one up this early hahaha we should protest! haha;) I love Anderson Cooper because his ancestory is from Bilt! so I support him! pluse 100% true again he is the best!

March 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Both sides use fear to get an advantage. It is up to the voters to be able to recognize it.

March 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Batman!"

March 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  5. A. Smith, Oregon

It's nice to see AC360 not censoring expose's on the Republican inner sanctum of activity's and what the Republican Party officials actually feel about their own donors!

March 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  6. starr, formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana – like you, i am very grateful that the two Pentagon police are not seriously hurt.

I also agree, hope the the shooter survives to give us his motive. It almost sounds like suicide by "cop".

March 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Emily

@Nicole from the Netherlands,

That was a great post of yours!

March 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  8. LisaL -Canada

oh the 'supercompanies' who supply such large markets that they have to slaughter 400 animals an hour – they put the small local businesses out of business.

and eating 'healthy' (read organic, and non-factory-raised) and 'local' is more expensive.

very interesting – and the 'deconstructing the taco' article was absolutely fascinating.

March 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Kim- Ohio, "...I just happen to love chicken."

Try MorningStar Farms' Italian Herb Chik Patties with a rice pilaf and a salad. They are delicious!

March 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Kim- Ohio

@starr..agreed...that's one of the reasons I watch also!!

March 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

Is that 76 million people a year around the world?

How could the govt not have the right to recall e coli tainted meat?

4 meat companies? is that an oligopoly?

How much of the food borne illnesses are from meats?

With so much attention being given to factory farms, it's surprising that an FDA inspector would be discouraged from reporting sickly cattle being slaughtered ( that is what he was discouraged from reporting am I right?)Also the impression I have is that state agricultural laws are kind of strict so again it's shocking.

March 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  12. A. Smith, Oregon

Wow, that leaked Republican National Committee briefing is a huge bombshell. Categorizing the Obama Administration as 'the evil empire' and various practices with the sole intention of sowing fear itself. Even deliberate dirty tricks in attempting to confuse the Hispanic Population into not filling out the census forms by sending out fake alert mailers telling citizens to not trust nor accept actual US Census Forms!

March 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Brian in Chicago

Anderson and Staff,
    THANK YOU for this story and videos on the "food" that animals provide a large part of our culture and population. This is disgusting....these poor creatures exploited as healthy food when it's totally NOT and all about the $$$ for mega agribiz. Not only is meat prod. the biggest polluter of the environment but the most inhumane, disgusting, horribly sad mistreatment of these poor animals. You wanna eat well and stay healthy? BECOME a VEGETARIAN....good for you, the animals and the planet; GUARANTEED. I've been one for over 20 years and in GREAT health and shape...anyone can do it...it's so easy.

March 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  14. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Thank you Anderson and CNN for showing the cruelty, unhealthyness and greedy motives of the meat industry. You are my heros!

March 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Mike
    Is food labelled organic safer?

Yes, Mike.

March 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Nicole from the Netherlands

@ Devin, it's so strange that to eat vegetarian, costs more, here you pay 17 euro a kilo for vegetarian, protein reblacebles, and 7,99 for chicken.. But what can you do?! Good reporting though ! That's why I love AC360!! Thanks for this..

March 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Emily

@Jo Ann,

"Paul McCartney, a dedicated vegetarian, once said, "if there were glass walls on slaughterhouses everyone would be a vegetarian.""

I think that this is very true!

People just need to eat healthy & the right sized portions would also help.
    More need to read what is in their food, esp. frozen.

March 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  18. niwat kurusattra, chicago

HI AC, AC360 and fellow bloggers,

Giving up eating meat and its derivatives hardly solve any problems.Cattle is known to be a domesticated animal with the development of human civilization. Butter, heavy cream, cheeses, leather are also a major role in non-meat consuming industry. However, the poor cow in the video didn't deserve to be treated that way!

March 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  19. starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson for your coverage of a Very Important, but often overlooked, issue.

Your show is so informative, that's why i always watch!!

March 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Vince

Good evening all.

Interesting segment on food. Being a stickler for proper food handling inspection, I agree stick to local foods and if you are able prepare it yourself do that so you know exectly what you are eating. Good nutrition certainly does go a long way.

March 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Sorry, but Nancy Pelosi IS Cruella DeVille.

March 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Linda in Arizona

Haha, "vegetables are sexy". That's because they're ALIVE. Meat is dead.

March 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Well-prepared vegan or vegetarian food tastes really great. I agree, vegetables are "sexy," especially raw vegetables.

March 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Vegetables and vegetarians are sexy!

March 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Anthony Guiliano

I'm a huge animal lover. I just can't say how sad this story is, I had to look away.

March 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

This story makes me feel good that I cook from scratch.All the things that I cook with have one ingredient only.I rarely get sick either.

March 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I saw a chicken so big at the super market it looked scary!

March 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  28. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

He is right. Too much meat is consumed for the health of humans, animals, and the planet. My MOther only had meat on Sundays when she was a child. What in the world are we thinking? The meat industry has a lot of power. Less meat more veggies! Ask Dr. Gupta!

March 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I hope "Food Inc." wins the Oscar!

March 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike, I'm not sure there are strict guidelines or standards on organic labeling. There's organic and then there's real organic.

March 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Chris

The United State has the safest and most abundant food supply in the entire world. The American Farmer is one of the hardest working of Americans an is being opressed constately. The industry of Agriculture is ever important, and all food starts at the farm. Our government have farm to fork tracabilty and the US government is always make a food supply safer and safer. I recently came back from china and our food is MUCH safer the any other country!!! Please Please Pleas understand the inportance, and the measures that American Agriculturist take to feed, clothe, and fuel this world.

March 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  32. D..J.

Yes, we need stronger and more regulations on our food supply and like I said as with everything else it is the greed of people, big companies etc.. just like no regulations in Housing market and look whats happened there.

March 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Emily

@Gady Mayen,

It's been along time since I've seen you on the blog.
    You've rejoined on a great night.

People need to pay attention to & how much they are putting into themselves. Also, what is the best way to prepare the food too.

March 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Devin

@ Nicole from the Netherlands 100% agree with you, but I know alot of people who are very local like myself;)

March 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Jessica

Thank you so much for bringing the egregious, dangerous and excessively negligent practices of many "meat" producers and the insufficient regulatory practices by govt. into mainstream TV. Would appreciate follow-up segments periodically in the future on subsidies, regulatory practices, slaughtering&meatproducing practices.

March 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

We eat WAY too much meat. We need a relatively small fraction of what we consume on a daily basis.

March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Kim- Ohio

I don't want to hear stories on chicken...I just happen to love chicken. I think I'm better off not knowing. I will just have to eat more of our home grown food...eat more veggies from my garden!!

March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Is food labelled organic safer?

March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

BettyAnn,
    Yes! Exactly right, I agree with your comment, and thanks Gary reporting!!! 🙂

@Cessy,
    Me too, I can't wait see Tom Colicchio tonight! 🙂

March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  40. david

These animals from the day they are born are bred to feed humans...we should at least show them the respect they deserve. Treating them this way is just showing disrespect and shows how we treat other humans as well.

March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  41. starr, formerly known as vincent

I have been aware of the conditions that chickens are raised in.

But, did not know that ground beef could be so mixed.

Thank God, i am primarily vegitarian. I eat very, very little meat (maybe twice a week in very small amounts) and no fish.

Great questions Anderson!

March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Watching this videos, I can say that I am not worried about if this food is safe or not, it's just makes me feel bad about this poor animals, how they treat them, I mean, I know that they are going to be killed, but why they have to treat them like that, and have them in this precarious situations. I don't know, I think that maybe because I am an animal lover and I can consider myself as an Animal Activist!

March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Jerry

I would think that Congress would be looking into this meat problem when considering Health Care!!

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  44. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

My town Nacogdoches, TX has more chicken houses than any place in the US. I have been in many of these houses and the chickens are living in their own feces and maggots and rats and many are cripple and sick. Then, sent to slaughter.
    I won't be popular for saying this but it is true. Not healthy for the chicken or the people who consume them. sick!

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  45. John - Texas

There should be cameras in the slaughter houses, with links on the internet to assure they're not mistreated.

Employees at that slaughter houses should get a raise for giving up some privacy. Maybe create some prosperity in this country, not like these multi-billion dollar owners couldn't afford the pay cut.

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Aaron Jones

Food Inc will be on my list of movies to watch. I have not heard of it before, but looks very interesting. I am a server at a steakhouse. Really makes me wonder where all these pieces of meat are really coming from.

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson,

My grandpa had a farm when I was a young girl. His cows were always fat and healthy. I remember feeding the calves by hand. They are such gentle animals. Sad to see them mistreated.

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am so glad that Anderson is showing this. I hope it will bring attention to the suffering of animals in these torture chambers!

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Cornelius Raiford

My school showed the movie Food Inc... and I met Gary Hirschfield who worked with the director. It was a very educational experience for our students and they learned a great deal. Most troubling was story of death of young boy from a hamburger.

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  50. charlie

In the EU there are very strict rules regarding aminal manure on animal's hide at slaughter. It has spawnwed almost a "grooming service" industry to clean them before they go to slaughter.
    The truth is bad enough, no need to lie.

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm |