March 2nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/02/10

The one man filibuster in the U.S. Senate is over. A vote took place moments ago to extend jobless benefits to millions of Americans over the next month and to fund road projects. We've got the raw politics. Plus, Pres. Obama's compromises with the GOP over health care reform. See what's he's willing to add to the legislation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im glad the Smithsonian has some taste than taking OJ's suit!

Funny shot of the day, I have heard beore that they are a rare species to see!

Have a good night all!

2. Isabel Siaba

Good night people! Good night Anderson! Good night David (Indiana)!
    Great show today! Thanks!

See you tomorrow!

3. lori

Good night! Sweet dreams!

4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gabriela,
    Good question!!!! I agree with you, very sad indeed vanished family!

Good night Anderson, Poppy, Megan, Jessica, Candy, David G, Ed Henry, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    Day of the shot with coyote on the beach play around and 3 men going pretend squriell!!!! LOL!!!!
    Thanks for coming in, and join us tonight! 🙂

Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

5. Kim- Ohio

The shot....so funny!!! I love the grooming!!!

Good night everyone!!!

6. Karen, MN

Funny! Good night.

7. Isabel Siaba

This guys are crazy, man! hahahaha....

8. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

OK, that's REALLY funny!

9. A. Smith, Oregon

Looks like the AC360 Staff on the look for Republicans!

10. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Briana, Kira, Devna, 360Team, Megan, Starr, Gabriela, Dodie, Mike, David & Isabel, Jo Ann, Gloria, Casey, Adelaide A.Smith, Kim, & Bloggers!

Love that Shot! The 360Crew is SO Funny! 😛

A great show & blog tonight as usual!
    (Dodie, you were missed)

Hope that you all have a great Wednesday.
    Btw,
    Will Briana be with us every night now?

11. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Starr

I know, don't worry, I understand your question, and I just want to answer that! I didn't understand this either, until my dad explain me the whole thing: o)

12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Coyotes are not the scariest things in Central Park! Just kidding, I love NYC!

13. Mindy

Seaworld has its place in the world. Much like a zoo, it provides exposure and education to the public. Without places like Seaworld or the zoo, people in most metropolitan areas would never come into contact with animals other than dogs, cats and a few other exotic animals. Without that contact, there wouldn't be the perpetual inspiration to the new generation to love animals of all kinds in this world. It's not to say that the animals kept in captivity do not suffer to an extent, but they are cared for. You provide them with the basics they require, housing, food, but in return, aspects of their nature are curbed (like the cheetah housed in 12 ' x 12' cages, unable to use their natural speed).

March 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Karen, MN

Tiger is cured in a week. Now I have heard it all!

March 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Jerry

O:J's glove seems more important!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Can we PLEASE stop giving O.J. Simpson attention? Will this ever end?

March 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Dana

I guess Anderson has to provide an opportunity for Sea World to try to explain why Orcas are happy. Frankly, Jack Hanna does not seem to really understand the issues other than being a Sea World spokesman. So ironic that he mentioned the Columbus zoo's new habitat for bears complete with fish. How does he justify the lack of a natural habitat for the Orcas? I hope Jack Hanna is not given another opportunity to appear on 360.

March 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Lew Morello

Good evening,

I just watched your article about the killer whales in captivity and I must say I am deeply affected by the killer whale that was shown swimming in the pool. I was born and raised on the Straits of Juan de Fuca in Washington State and grew up with these magnificent animals all around me. At times, only feet away from them as I was out salmon fishing and I must say that NEVER did I see a killer whale with its' dorsal fin laying over on its' side. That whale you showed is either sick, unhappy or both! Killer whales are not being killed. They are protected and the pods residing here off the coast of Washington and British columbia are healthy and growing.

Captivity is no place for such marvelous creatures.

Lew Morello

Sequim, Washington

March 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Kim- Ohio

@Adelaide...I heard the Smithsonian wouldn't take OJ's suit...good for them!!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba

Tiger woods again!
    Please, don't do that!

March 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Nancy in Oregon

That's just it, Ray Ann....Sea World having these magnificent creatures perform tricks and splash people is not anything near a zoo.

March 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Ric

Don't let SeaWorld fool you, they knew Tilkum had the potential to seriously injure or kill someone, employees that are trained to work around Tilkum are told verbatim, "If someone falls in, chances are they're not coming out alive" and YES Tilly, spends the majority of the day alone in that same pool he killed Dawn Brancheau in.., The only animal Tilkum is allowed to interact with on a regular basis is Taima a female orca that has a similar history of aggression towards trainers.

March 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Adelaide

@Ray Ann Havasy

I agrre with you fully!

March 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

One pt that got lost in the CA OSHA rept btwn the first and second versions, but is there in two brief details, is the sense that the show time is increasing and cutting into the training and play time of the whales.

On the 360 site, one of the pts made in the article advocating keeping orca's in Sea World is that aquariums have lead to the Marine Mammal protection act that I believe protects killer whales, so Jack Hannah is exactly right about raising awareness. But the pt of doing that is to preserve natural habitat where it is I think much easier for whales reproduce and raise their calves successfully.

March 2, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Emily

@Megan,

"Thanks for your information our health heart!"

It's been awhile since I heard that...It was from nurses that sent it to me.
    I just found it interesting.

I've not heard anything since so don't take my word for it. 🙂
    It's something to look into, if you want to read something.

March 2, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

But tori, is teaching whales to balance trainers on their noses really the only way to educate people?

March 2, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  27. James

Jack Hannah claims to know that these creatures are "happy" and that they would not survive otherwise.

This is but one example of the total lack of "experience" on his part.

Ignorance is not bliss. Especially not for the animals who are suffering in these conditions.

March 2, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Ellie

Of course keeping these animals is all about money! Sea World might spend lots of money on the whales but it is a small percentage against what they are making!
    Jack says this is education for the american public. I went to the Sea World show years ago – I was not educated – I was entertained!
    What these shows and other's is teaching is that it is OK to keep wild animals captive! And,,,, it is OK to do anything if you can make big bucks!

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Savanna

I agree with Jack!! Some animals being captive is a great thing. Some would no longer exist today if they were not captive. We would not be able to actually be able to see these animals. It's a great way to learn. And in captive you know they are being fed and taken care of by vets, not having to worry about shortiage or boats.

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I never visited Sea World and the only circus I have ever seen is Cirque du Soleil.

As I said yesterday, when I looked into that caged gorilla's sad eyes I never returned to the zoo.

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  31. Vivian - Mtl

Isn't Mexico in some kind of war with the drug gangs?

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  32. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Gabiela – Nicaragua

I meant no disrespect the the country of Chile. I simply reacted to Karl's report...i felt he answered my question.

I truly feel for the people of Chile and hope that everyone gets the help they need ASAP. Chile is in my prayers.

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  33. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It's time to militarize the boarder with Mexico. Stop drugs, stop cartels, stop illegals.

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Joyce

HI The aquatic animals that live and perform in captivity usually live a shorter life ,due to pneumonia , than free spirited ocean animals. Check statistics and reports on this situation. Once again it is society's decision to elect money over life. Joyce

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  35. Isabel Siaba

@ Gabriela

I agree and we have to honor the right to vote!

I was born and grew up in the midst of a dictatorship and be able to vote after so many years is great, even (sometimes) we make mistakes in our choices, but it's with the mistakes that we learn!

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  36. Linda

If it weren't for Seaworld, I would never have adopted manatees or become interested and knowledgeable about dolphins, (killer whales included). Seaworld has educated me by bringing the plight of these animals to the forefront in my life. They certainly do educate us. By personifying them, they open our hearts to their needs.

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  37. Ray Ann Havasy

as a biologist I wish that zoos didn't have to exist, that all animals could live in the wild. But because many animals are in danger of extinction I understand the need for zoological parks, they do a lot to study conservation of many species. But to me, Sea World is not a zoological park, it's more like a circus than a zoo. Please do not compare sea world to a zoological park where habitats are designed to be close to nature. A concrete pool is not close to nature. I cannot go to circuses or places like them where animals are forced to perform with loud music......natural? I think not

March 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  38. Adelaide

Why would OJ's suit be on display anywhere? What is so interesting about that suit?

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Kim- Ohio

The McStay family story is just awful....my prayers go out to the family.

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  40. Jack M. Newfoundland Canada

Jack Hannah has good intentions and I believe that animals at sea world are well taken care of. However, like any animal in captivity, they become passive and rely on humans. They could never return to the wild and survive. The only way to stop this captivity is to prevent further on-site births and further captures of wild animals. When the existing stock passes, this should be the end of the captivity process.

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  41. Emily

No Clues?

Very strange story!
    I hope that they just disappeared on their own, and nothing nefarious happened to them.

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  42. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, A. Smith-there are alternatives for these animals....including not letting them have more babies to be future animal-slaves. The world has a long way to go though.

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  43. Karen, MN

I hope the family is found alive and well.

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  44. A. Smith, Oregon

Please, I don't understand how people could not be informed nor realize that anyone driving a SUV is a potential target along the Mexican border!

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  45. Jennifer - AZ

I can definitely skip the OJ suit exhibit

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Good point, Emily..... Thanks for your information our health heart! 🙂

March 2, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  47. Vivian - Mtl

@ Isabel -I think the Red Cross is there in Chile

March 2, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

That is really strange for an entire family to disappear

March 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  49. Emily

@Claus,
    I would have liked to have known how long they would have survived in the wild if they were to be released...or if they are born at SeaWorld, and then are put in the Ocean...He seemed very bitter....I don't think that AC would "hammer" him. He's all for the Environment, Animals, etc.

March 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  50. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

YIKES! I'm going to Tijuana for a medical procedure (alone) before March 18 and I definitely am a little freaked out. I've have specifically avoided making these trips for quite a while, based on the CNN reports. Am I being ridiculous?

March 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm |