March 2nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/02/10

The one man filibuster in the U.S. Senate is over. A vote took place moments ago to extend jobless benefits to millions of Americans over the next month and to fund road projects. We've got the raw politics. Plus, Pres. Obama's compromises with the GOP over health care reform. See what's he's willing to add to the legislation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Great report by Gary. That was an "education" for those who don't think about what happens to these animals after the are no longer useful to their owners.

How very sad!

March 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  2. A. Smith, Oregon

Drug cartels often stop SUV's near the border, murder the passengers and steal the SUV for smuggling or a untraceable getaway vehicle. This family is sadly very likely in a ditch.

March 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Jen R

I can see what Jack is saying about zoos and seaworld providing money for good things, but I really think he dodged the question about whether orcas shouldn't be in more sea-like conditions and whether the present conditions are damaging for them mentally or physically. I'm not comfortable with the "ends justify the means" attitude implicit in what he was saying.

I also have to say that people can go out on boats whale spotting to see orcas in their natural environment. Animals tourism doesn't have to be in a park like seaworld.

March 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  4. ian

Well you can spend as much money on caging animals as you want but you are still caging them and the poor whales instead of having miles and miles of ocean to swim in are in what equates to a bath tub and I would get annoyed if I was kept in a well lit closet

March 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba

@David, Indiana

Thanks!

March 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Oh My God, how a family can disappear just like that???

March 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Kimberly

Sea World is all about making money and seems to care less about where the animals really should be, in their own environment, not a pretend one!

This angers me. When are people going to stop using animals for profit!

March 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Soledad Gomez

accidents happen people get hurt people die for every purpose imaginable and that includes entertainment purposes.

March 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  9. tori

Why is it so difficult to be objective about the animal captivity and see the whole picture. Zoos do more than keep animals. They educate and brings the public's attention to those animals that are in the wild and are being destroyed by man for profit! Of course zoo should be a profit. If they have the revenues, then they can take better care and research for the animals. Where do you think the dolphins and whales would be had we never been educated about their slaughter out in the open seas.

Tigers are disappearing and the majority are currently in zoos - Safe for the human predators.

March 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  10. A. Smith, Oregon

America has plenty of land and coastal areas to set aside large open range game refuges for land and sea creatures. Its a more favorable compromise than a tiny cell with heavy bars.

March 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Nancy in Oregon

Of course the animals are being exploited for money! Duh!! And I'm sure Sea World does its best to keep them 'healthy' because they are the cash cows....not out of respect for the animals. I'm sure they can't be released to the wild very easily now, but must they spend their lives being 'poodles' to bored spectators? Gosh....what a crazy world.

March 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I think people attend these "animal" entertainment shows because it's a cultural thing. "We" learn this as children and we're not educated beyond that as adults, so we keep perpetuating it.

March 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Vivian - Mtl

@ Emily
    I've heard about the time speeding up can give you heart problems also- thanks for bringing it up–I had forgottenabout that

March 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  14. lori

I have spent many days at Sea World, San Diego, and at the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park. All of the animals look very well cared for and very healthy. Most of them are there because they were born in captivity or could not make it in the wild due to injury.

March 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  15. LisaL -Canada

zoos and circuses were, at one time, on of the few ways of increasing awareness – people didn't have exposure to so much of the world and these 'exotic' animals.

with IMAX and 3D and superbly researched and filmed documentaries and nature shows, and access to the internet, the way in which awareness is cultivated can certainly change.

the discussions regarding opposing points of view have certainly been raising awareness for this whole issue. ironically a good thing?

March 2, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  16. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Kim- OH thank you for your post.

@Mike – you have an interesting solution with regard to a balanced budget for the Federal gov.

March 2, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Charlotte

Can the whales every leave sea world? Are do they have t stay there till they die?

March 2, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Claus

@Emily,
    Perhaps Jack is defensive because he has been hammered pretty hard on his position. And in my opinion unfairly. He knows what he's talking about and SeaWorld has done a lot of good things for animals.

March 2, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Heather - Spokane, WA

Bless the people that take care of those animals at that ranch, you can tell they love those animals. I would love to work at that place.

If Jack Hannah is for conservation, then why is he defending Sea World and all of the other zoos and aquariums that profit off of animals in captivity? He said before that he is for keeping with Steve Irwin's quest for conservation, but with this interview he is not doing that

March 2, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Adelaide, "It would happen very soon if people would stop attending these shows. Until then...."

Most humans are selfish so that will never happen.

March 2, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Karen, MN

I enjoyed listening to Jack

March 2, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann...I'm guessing you grew up with Jack Hannah, as I did, when captive animals were viewed as a positive thing. I tend to agree with you beyond my childhood mind set. I just don't like this whole animal entertainment thing. How does Jack Hannah know that a captive animal is "happy," as he states? Answer: He doesn't.

March 2, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  23. sara.or

If the days become shorter the nights 'll be longer?!:)))

March 2, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That is an excellent point Anderson. Whales in pools cannot compare with whales in the oceans.

Also, they are forced to be exposed to a bunch of nosy humans show after show after show. That has to take its toll on them.

March 2, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  25. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Heather – Spokane WA

I agree with you whole heartedly!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Isabel

Yes I understand your point, maybe is the same situation in my case, I don't like them, I don't believe in them, but anyway, every 5 years that we have elections, I vote, because is my right and I have to take advantage of this treasure that we call democracy specially when for a long time we didn't have this important right!

March 2, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Emily

I find Jack Hanna is very defensive; AC can not get many questions in.

March 2, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  28. A. Smith, Oregon

Sea World rehab's its creatures and releases how many into the wild? Come on Jack Hannah stop being a Sea World PR person.

March 2, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Vivian - Mtl

zoos and parks also employ a lot of people

March 2, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Isabel Siaba

Animals for profit... We must ensure the welfare of animals. Zoo is a place so interesting for those who live in urban centers. 2 weeks ago I took my son (4 year) in the Zoo and was a rich experience for him, a child 'urban' and created in an apartment.

March 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Adelaide

@Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio
    "When are people going to stop exploiting animals for human entertainment?"

March 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

All you have to do is compare the demeanor of a gorilla caged in the zoo with the ones Anderson visits in Virunga Park to see that the zoo gorillas are miserable.

March 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  33. michael armstrong sr.

Its time for jail time for keeping animales that have killed and that kills again .

March 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  34. A. Smith, Oregon

Happy and Healthy as per Sea World? Orcha's actively use sonar for an extension to their eyesight, in a tiny 35 foot tank that must severely harm that sense that pings back immediately, over and over the same. No wonder non Sea World activists state these creatures are becoming psychotic.

March 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Emily

We are in a VERY different "information age" now!

March 2, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Nick

People today are into danger. People watch NASCAR for the wrecks, boxing for the blood. Seems that if the whale is kept to perform, SeaWorld will receive great revenue just because people want to see this killing whale.

Nick
    Louisville KY

March 2, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Emily

What are their chances of survival in the wild after being in captivity for such a time?

March 2, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Kim- Ohio

Those poor animals at the ranch. I'm glad someone is taking care of these animals instead of putting them down.

March 2, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  39. starr, formerly known as vincent

Another excellent report by Gary Tuchman!

I did not know about where performing animals retired. Really, really interesting report.

Do you know that Elephants have no known enemy in the wild, but humans.

March 2, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  40. lori

How could Sea World free whales that have never been in a natural environment?

March 2, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  41. michael armstrong sr.

The animal is mad as hell and wants to let nature take its course turn the whale loose .

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Sara

Good evening,
    great to see stories about animals in captivity.

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Emily

@Bloggers,
    I've heard that people are more at risk of having a heart attack on the days when time speeds up, even a few micro seconds!
    There are different studies that were done on this a # of years ago that I recall being talked about. It's amazing what "little time" can have an effect on some people.

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Heather

Amen Rev. Martin! God bless you for calling out your republican cohort on the unemployed people in the US.

Here's my bit:

I am a single mother who is separated from a verbally abusive man. I put my career on hold for 8 years to raise my children. For 18 months I've applied for jobs with not a single offer.

I am not receiving unemployment benefits. I am not even counted in the unemploment rate calculations. What about we at-home moms who are trying to break back into the job market?

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Eugenia - San Francisco

a shift in the earth axis?

what kind of cause/effect does that have?

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Can these whales be introduced to the wild?

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Starr

Chile is a country that is really prepared for an aertquake, they have a lot of them all the year, not that stronger as the one that happened the last Saturday, but they are used to, and that's the reason why President Bachelet, don't ask for help like the one that was requested by Haiti, I mean she ask for help but just for somethings that they have lack of, but they have enough resources to face this situation alone!

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Shane, Hendersen

Lets see, the Democrats want to stand up for the unemployed and Bunning is blocking 400,000 Americans from getting them and there is some valid comparison between the two. Well, thats just crazy as only on side is right, guess which one??? The Democrats, period!

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  49. A. Smith, Oregon

Breeding Orchas for a lifespan of slavery, performing tricks and living in a tiny 35 foot tank is doing these creatures a favor according to Sea World?

March 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

If those whales are 'happy' there then why are they attacking people and showing signs of not being happy?

March 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm |