March 2nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/02/10

The one man filibuster in the U.S. Senate is over. A vote took place moments ago to extend jobless benefits to millions of Americans over the next month and to fund road projects. We've got the raw politics. Plus, Pres. Obama's compromises with the GOP over health care reform. See what's he's willing to add to the legislation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

I did not realize how destructive the tsunami in Chile was. It's been four days since the earthquake that's too long to be waiting for food and water.

@Isabel, I agree stopping unemployment benefits would hurt the population. I wanted to say good to see you ad hear from you last night.

March 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

No amount of money can take the place of freedom.

March 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Jerry

Get rid of the Republicans or even get rid of the Democrats – what do you have. A one party government – sounds like Communism to me.

March 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

It is all about money with these animals. But we all support it. My grandkids love to go there and it's always crowded. There is a facination with animals so zoos and circuses and sea worlds and Busch Gardens and Disney's animal kingdom and every other place like that are not closing their doors.

March 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Debbie

The reps voted against paygo @ stim, now suddenly finding it useful to try solve to a serious matter. I wonder how many reps on these benefits programs agree with your repub guest, he was just as stone cold hearted as bunning

March 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

How does this guy know the animals are happy? Did they tell him?

March 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  7. A. Smith, Oregon

Last night the Sea World guest LIED about Keiko living only one year in the wild after being released. Keiko live 5 full years in the wild and died a natural death as a free Orcha, aged 27 years old making him the oldest captive whale that ever lived.

March 2, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

When are people going to stop exploiting animals for human entertainment?

March 2, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather – Spokane, WA & Emily
    Good question Heather, If Naomi will hitting people, She will be jail for that, she had previous history hitting people.
    Emily,
    Yeah, She would have join anger manage class for now, I agree!

March 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Isabel Siaba

@ Gabriela

I'm suspicious because I like politics, although in most cases, not like (or agree) with the politicians.

March 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Jen R

Watching an orca do unnatural silly tricks in a complely unnatural environment is not educational. It's just a different version of a circus, exploiting the animals for lots of money despite the toll on the animals and the risk to human trainers.

These are intelligent, social creatures who are supposed to be roaming the seas in family groups. They do not belong in prison-like, mind numbingly bare, tiny pools.

March 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Soledad Gomez

Haha lori. What do you think of the shorter days Ac?

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Claudia, chilean in NY

Thanks for showing Dichato and places where help is still needed....but please also talk about the good side.... how communities and young associations are doing amazing volunteering work accross the country... that's the chilean spirit and solidarity!

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Heidi

I like when you talk sceince.There should be a law against keeping those big whales in any captivity

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

How can you educate anyone about animals when those animals are forced to live in an artificial environment?

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Karen, MN

I thought I felt a little dizzy today. A Faster world isn't what we need:)

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Eugenia - San Francisco

(CNN) – The massive earthquake that struck Chile on Saturday may have shifted the Earth's axis and created shorter days, scientists at NASA say.
    The change is negligible, but permanent: Each day should be 1.26 microseconds shorter, according to preliminary calculations. A microsecond is one-millionth of a second.

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  18. LisaL -Canada

it is quite interesting – the effect of the quake on the earth's axis and time ... apparently the 2004 quake which struck Indonesia (9.1) also shortened the day – by 6.8 microseconds. fascinating stuff. really.

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Vivian - Mtl

the tsunami tilted us off the earth's axis in 2004 and now again
    No wonder it was snowing in the US and not Canada

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Adelaide

I think the Chilean government should have asked for international help much sooner. The affected population certainly could have used it.

March 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I have to admit I like the idea of shutting down the government to balance the budget. That said, California courts just ruled that California has to reinstate certain furloughed union employees and pay them all the back $ owed. As you would expect that will be locked in appeal for a long time.

March 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Emily

@Jo Ann,

"Jack Hanna isn't exactly the right person to comment about whether or not it is a good idea to have wild animals in captivity because his job depends on keeping wild animals in captivity."

I'd agree with this statement.
    I didn't see LKL tonight. I don't think that matters as what you said above really says it all.

March 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Isabel Siaba

@ Anderson

I read that the help of government of Chile has been very slow.
    Is it possible that we can help via Internet, as there was the case of Haiti?

March 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Starr, I say if the politicians are going to act like children, we treat them like children, ground them to their houses and give them a time out for not getting along with the other 'kids'

March 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It's all about money! One can read a book for education!

March 2, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Vivian - Mtl

@ Ken

that was a great point that you made!

March 2, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  27. Fay-AC

That's a very interesting and somewhat bizarre fact from NASA about the after affects of the earthquake in Chile.

March 2, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

As an animal advocate, I know that the Jack Hanna segment is going to anger me.

March 2, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  29. A. Smith, Oregon

I hope Republicans are defeated many more times in the coming months for there latest NO vote!

March 2, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I have 4 jobs posted and can't find qualified candidates. Two have been advertised for months and all are over $80K in salary. So how bad can it really be?

March 2, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  31. lori

Shorter days are just what we need.

March 2, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  32. michael armstrong sr.

3.7 quack in a dangerous place today that dont get quake's The New Madrid zone right in the heart of it .

March 2, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Oh, that a sad story about the families in Chile of earthquake and flood!

March 2, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  34. starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Karl! I have been wondering why there was so little call from Chile for assistance.

Hopefully, the government will now accept global assistance for its people1

Terrific reporting by Karl Penhaul.

March 2, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Emily

This is so sad what has happened in Chile & area, so close after Haiti.

It seems that Mother Nature is not very happy.

March 2, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Vivian - Mtl

I think they didn't see the devastation -their highways were cut in half
    airports demolished

March 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. michaela gorham

I'm receiving unemployment I pay taxes on that unemployment I lost my job in manufacturing the back bone of the USA I look for jobs every week I'm from Ohio the rust belt there are not very many job openings and what are avaliable there are 500 people applying for the same job. Everybody that has jobs or are a political analyisit or newsperson think that we that are on unemployment are lazy well your wrong. if no jobs come soon you news people and analyists might be unemployed to because eventually we won't be able to afford dish, direct tv or cable to watch you guys. I say lets get rid of the republican party their trouble makers

March 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. D..J.

You know it is sad when everything in Washington is about politics and how many votes they can get and not about people and how they can live better or just make a living today.
    This is the greatest country on earth but I am sure disappointed in how our leaders act now.

March 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Soledad O'Brien & Karl are doing great job reporting from Chile since earthquake struck last weekend.

March 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Isabel

Of course, I am agree with you, we need them, but it doesn't mean that we like them! That's a big difference!But yes, sometimes we can be surprised and in a right way, But In Nicaragua happened the contrary almost all the time!! it's terrible!

This is horrible what happened in Chile, I have a lot of friends in Santiago and one in Constitucion (the place where the earthquake was stronger and where the tsunami hits later) and all of them told me that this earthquake was extremely powerful and destrucutive, can you Imagine? a 8.8 earthquake, they said that they barely can walk!! Scary!!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

I read an article today that said that Chile's earthquake altered the earth's axis. That is crazy!

March 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Adelaide

Those images from Chile are so disturbing...sadly remind me of Haiti..

March 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Shanny

That's insane. Nothing is left.

March 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Emily

@ Karen,

"Our government is very screwed up"

I don't think that this is anything new...I think that more people are now paying attention!
    When more people vote, they have expectations. Then when they are not met, they notice these things.

March 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  45. walid soltan

i hope to say it as short as i can i have been applying for job for a long time i started from Oct/2007 until now 2010 i can't find job for two reason I'm not white and i have a hard time getting a job because of it it is not an excuse again this is not my excuse unemployment not fun at all i was making $400 a week when i use to work now i get from unemployment $180 a week plus i have to send job search report every week in order to get it i would rather getting $200 a week with dignity better thanks

March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Karen Goff

@A. Smith, Oregon: Thank you for your response!! I can sleep tonight now! Have a wonderful evening.

March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Vivian - Mtl

so sad ! what utter devastation!

March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Ken

Yes I'm collecting benefits since March 09. I might have a job in Abu Dhabi, UAE! I would say that's a good distance to find work! How do we always come up with these Multi Million Dollar relief packages to help other country's within hours of the tragedy? We never hear anyone in either political party question how are we going to pay for it or where's the accountability to ensure the money is helping the people? Its sad that we have a political system that allows one federal elected official to hold up a bill to help the millions of US Citizens who desperately need Relief from this economy! BTW I look for work everday and I'm not milking the system! Good Night another great show.

March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@starr, better yet, shut down the government for 30 days. After that find out all the things were really needed and turn them back on, eliminate the rest. Voila, balanced budget!

March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, That is what happens when people let power go to their heads.

March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |