March 2nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/02/10

The one man filibuster in the U.S. Senate is over. A vote took place moments ago to extend jobless benefits to millions of Americans over the next month and to fund road projects. We've got the raw politics. Plus, Pres. Obama's compromises with the GOP over health care reform. See what's he's willing to add to the legislation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Carmen

Roland Martin and Eric Erikson talk about Blunder's behavior:

Grrrrrrrr! Your guest Eric Eriksen is so out of touch about the working Americans who have lost their jobs. Most Americans WANT to go back to work and Eric's comment that unemployed American's are milking the Government and taking a vacation; his comments were simply heartless. I think the republican's just keep
    putting their foot deeper and deeper into their mouths and soon they're going to choak and their actions and words.

March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Devin

What happend to the America in the late 1800s and 1920s and after wwii? with the self made man and fast producd 'good' luxeries? were every American that worked hard enoff could make the dream or was it all truely gilded ?

March 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

To even receive unemployment benefits you have to be applying for work regularly. Also these benefits are only a percentage of a workers wage or salary preceding being laid off.

Tort reform some 50m does sound like window dressing, the health savings accounts depending on what is offered could be a more substantial addition to Health Care Reform. How will those balance with opening access to ins?

March 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Kim- Ohio

@Starr...I was offended as well.....

It's hard to find a job out there right now...seriously how many jobs have been eliminated leaving all these people searching for jobs.

March 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Annie

Wow! I hope Erick Erickson ends up jobless for several years. He is rude, insensitive, and his condescending views and comments about those needing to collect benefits of "not wanting to look for a job" were unwarranted. It must be nice sitting up there in his perfect perch- he needs a dose of reality. Well said Roland!

March 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. michael armstrong sr.

Im on Janes side its time for Tarzan Jack Hanna to free Willy or else Sea World be charged with premeditative murder with the next whale kill .

March 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Jane

The President can only serve two terms. Shouldn't those in the Congress and Senate do the same? Oh, by the way, I would like to vote in my own pay raise?

March 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jack Hanna isn't exactly the right person to comment about whether or not it is a good idea to have wild animals in captivity because his job depends on keeping wild animals in captivity.

His comment on LKL that whales are better off in captivity was ridiculous!

March 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Charlotte
    You are absolutely right!

March 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Lisa L

Anderson, I am also confident that a good way is to link education and employment so people will be prepared in the workforce.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

March 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. starr, formerly known as vincent

I have an idea:

Let's (we the people) suspend Congress' pay check until they start to work together, speak in a civil manner to each other, the President and especially US!

Let's keep their pay suspended until they GET IT, what life is like for the average American out here.

can you tell i'm fed up with politics at this point. We need real Leadership, our country is in trouble!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Emily

Naomi Campbell's personality makes her VERY ugly!
    She should be able to afford Angry Management Classes as many times as necessary!

March 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Vivian - Mtl

isn't the problem with Toyota because they doen't use wires to the accelerator anymore?–they went wireless....won't that interfere with any signal out there?

March 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Isabel Siaba

@Gabriela
    But, unfortunately, a nation needs of politicians. In my country they didn't think about the people too and take advantage of the situation.

It's rare, but despite not having voted in my President, today I support his actions. Sometimes, we may be positively surprised .... believe me!

March 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Tim

Hi Anderson. I strongly disagree with Jack Hannah's stance on Sea World, Ringling Bros. and other similar companies as well as zoos. Wild animals should not be kept in captivity and forced to performed tricks for our amusement. It is simply abusive and cruel to the animals to do so. These companies are for-profit industries and these poor animals bring in billions of dollars per year. These animals should be sent to true sanctuaries instead.

March 2, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why isnt Naomi Campbell in jail yet?

March 2, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Rick Bailey

I am so tired of Republican vs Democrat battles. Each side is only about which side wins power. Why can't we just have Senators and House members doing their publice service job. Why do we need an aisle in the House and Senate. Partisanship seems to serve one purpose. Which is to generate a divide. Imagine Senators and House members with no TEAM concept voting only how they feel and not how their party wants them to vote.

Do I dare to Dream!
    Rick
    from California.

March 2, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Frank

I have two grown children receiving unemployment benefits for almost two years. They both have stated they won't bother to look for a job until the running out of their benefits force them to. I suspect that this happens more than we care to admit. I've read that some economists state that this is one reason why unemployment rates remain high. I hate to see those who really need these benefits cut off, but there are a growing number of folks who will take the help hand as long as it is there and not just only for the time that it is TRULY needed.

March 2, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Ford didn't take a dime of bailout money, and now they're the leading car company. Free enterprise works if you let it.

March 2, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Megan

That last guy talking with Roland really offended me. I spent 10 months of 2009 unemployed and believe me, if I could have gone to work, I would have preferred going to work. There just weren't any jobs. To say that people stayed on umeployment for an extended vacation is offensive to those of us who legitimately were looking for work.

March 2, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Jen R

A lot of the unemployed have children. The interests of children are involved now not just in the future.

March 2, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Emily

Lots of problems with GM cars now...another car company with recalls!

March 2, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Cheryl

I resent individuals like Eric Erickson. I am 51 and have worked since I was 17. This is only the second time I have found myself collecting unemployment. People like him and politicians need a reality check. Get out here in the real world!!! I apply every job I see. I want to work, there is nothing out here partly because our government continues to give tax breaks to big corporations while our jobs keep going going elsewhere. While I appreciate the 30 days, it is only 2 checks. Then what?

March 2, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Steve

I came in on the end of the debate between Roland Martin and the other man regarding jobs. Thank you, Roland for defending many people drawing unemployment benefits who want to work. My wife was laid off after working for ten years as office manager and has been looking for a job for over a year. No job yet, and she doesn't play golf!

March 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  25. John Stevens

The problem with Washington is that they look at this whole situation through the eyes of the employed, rather than the eyes of the unemployed! I would love to see them walk in my shoes for a couple of months.

March 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Jill

Hi Anderson –

Invite Erick to quit his job, move to Michigan and try to find work – and live without unemployment benefits. He can KMA. I'm working for part-time for $8.00/hr, just to work – a far cry from the $22.00/hr I made less than a year ago – can barely pay my COBRA on my unemploment benefits!

March 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That right you got to take the bull by the horns, let them know who's the boss! He should ever have to worry about enough votes!

March 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Kelli

I just tuned in and was listening to your guests speak about the jobs bill that finally passed. I do not know what the idiots name was that said that the losers where the unemployed that now did not have to look for a job. I live in Texas and have been looking for work for 1 yr. and I can only find part time work that does not provide any benefits and I barely make enough to pay my bills. I love to have a full time job so that I could stop struggling. I hope that he never has to juggle bills to pay them.

March 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Devin

I love the American goverment and all goverments as long as they try a little to help there people first what ever the type of goverment may be," Democracy is said to be the worst type of goverment, except for all the other types of goverment before it" (and after)=)

March 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Jen R

The Red State guy was smug, selfish, insensitive and offensive in regard to unemployment benefits. Thanks to Roland for calling him out on that.

Other ways to get money? These people are taxpayers who paid into unemployment insurance while they were working. They are just getting their investment back now that they are in hard times in the terrible economy. It's not their fault their tax dollars were used to bail out irresponsible greedy bankers who weren't properly regulated.

March 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  31. Virginia Rupp

If the congress were so concerned about over spending as per Senator Bunning's statements, why do they continue to vote themselves an annual raise? It seems to me that they should not accept the generous monies they continue to vote for themselves. Would they consider a decrease in retirement benefits which are tax paid. Most of them have become millionaires while in office anyway. Also, isn't their travel paid for by tax money? What about health coverage? Why don't they pay annual premiums and co-payment that the common folk.

March 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Emily,
    Remember that, he was against for benefit for employments to lost their jobs. But it is too late for Senator Bunning changed his mind to approved a bill passed.

March 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  33. michael armstrong sr.

Things are getting drastic and drastic action is required its time to work for Mc Donnalds .

March 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Charlotte

I reallly want to know what happens to all the animals when they can't perform anymore I feel it will be sad.

March 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Nancy Corbett

I am one of the millions of americans who is unemployed. I have been unemployed for 14 mos. The Co. I worked at for 14 yrs. went to China. I have worked my entire adult life and I am 61 yrs. old. I look seriously for work every day and am unable to find anything. I think my age plays a part and also lack of mfg. jobs. People living on unemployment are not living large and for the most part are looking for jobs. I hope they will start working on adding more tiers to the extension for the long term unemployed.

March 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Shea Lehman

I am an unemployed college graduate. I have been on the job market for about a month and applied for over thirty jobs in the last month...I have heard back from two potential employers. I have only held part-time positions while in school and do not currently qualify for any benefits although even at a part-time status I am paying taxes towards them...where is my sympathy

March 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Tony North Carolina

I commend Senator Bunning. The discussion misses the point the goverment has got to quit spending more than it takes in. Unfortunately this discussion is about 10 years too late. The goverment will figure it out one day when the 10 year note is paying 20% and no one wants it.

March 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Emily

@Jo Ann,

"Anderson you are so right, it is all a political game, but the voters end up suffering the consequences."

Isn't that SO sad?! That they can "play games" with such important aspects of our lives! That's not what they ran on, NOR was it what they were elected to do! (Play games-sad)

March 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Vivian - Mtl

again seaworld?
    If they get released in the wild they may end up as sushi on our plates–wouldn't be surprised

March 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  40. lori

Hi Anderson, Ed Henry, and Everyone! Happy Tuesday! ;o)

March 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  41. A. Smith, Oregon

There are some 100 backed up bills waiting to pass the US Senate, the Democrats should be using simple UP or Down procedures on all of those bills. President Obama won his presidency by what 52% or so? A simple majority should be all that is needed in the US Senate.

March 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  42. dina

The republicans and people who oppose the unemployment benefits are obviously fat cats who have never been laid off and gone months without income and work, despite their own persisent efforts. We need to take back our government and have people in charge who are in touch with reality.

March 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I will continue to maintain the broader issue with our legislature is that we have primarily two parties voting for all Americans. We need at least three parties to make our broken system work. And another thing, I'm sick and tired of seeing this continual parade of old "lifers" running our country–we need to clean house. We need new blood not more of the same on both sides of the aisle. These people are strangling us and they don't care about any of us.

March 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Joshua

The Senator changed his mind, and changed it for the better, since his over spending ways in the Bush years. Without knowing the Senator personally, we cannot judge whether his change was political or self-improvement. Fact is, more transparency is needed and necessary in our government.

March 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Isabel Siaba

This is insane! Political games and not even care how much it is hurting the population.

This kind of thing is useful to evaluate a politician and don't forget when choosing candidates

March 2, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Jennifer - AZ

Evening Anderson and all!

March 2, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Terri

I have been out of work 1 year as of today! So many of my friends are out of work as well. We ALL have been trying to find jobs, but in Louisville, KY where the unemployment rate is 10%, that has been impossible. And Sen. Bunning doing what he did is totally crazy! He keeps talking about the debt for our children, grandchildren, etc...We might not be here tomorrow!

March 2, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Nancy Richiski

The Republicans should be ashamed of themselves for having the nerve to assume that they're speaking for this "American". How dare they presume to speak for me? Every day I am so thankful that I am a proud Democrat. But I do think that President Obama had better start pushing back, and hard, or we'll be looking at Palin in two years. And that is truly frightening.

March 2, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Joe

The problem with politicians is the exact same problem that is being evidenced on the show tonight.

People who argue with each other, and absolutely refuse to work together...even refuse to listen to the other person.

Until this habitual attitude changes, and until everyone can understand that in order to have an organized society, there has to be co-operation, the government will continue to be a useless organism reduced to petty bickering and squabbling.

Throw the bums out.

March 2, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  50. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am deeply OFFended by Eric's remarks that people are on unemployment when they don't need it!!

Everyone i know without employment has been searching mightly for months and months. There are no employment positions Out There!

If Republicans honestly beleive that people are taking advantage of unemployment, let them get thrown out of office and have to find a employment if the REAL world out here! (not a cushy position as a lobbyist or CEO.

March 2, 2010 at 10:18 pm |