March 2nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/02/10

The one man filibuster in the U.S. Senate is over. A vote took place moments ago to extend jobless benefits to millions of Americans over the next month and to fund road projects. We've got the raw politics. Plus, Pres. Obama's compromises with the GOP over health care reform. See what's he's willing to add to the legislation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

D.J & Starr
    Agreed!!!!! Good point taken! 🙂

March 2, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Randy

With the temporary stoppage in unemployment payments, there probably was a upstart in crime, which will end up costing us more money in court costs and housing the people who turn to crime

March 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  3. john

The senator voted no on "pay go" but the law passed anyway.... now other senators where trying to avoid thier vote and pass a law without "paying as you go"... He is the only one doing the correct thing

March 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  4. ruth

I am sick of all the hypocrites in washington. The republicans under george bush voted for numerous deficit laden budgets and created a huge economic burden for americans. The economic mess we are in right now was started by the republicans, but I sure don't see anyone of either party trying to fix the problems. Bunning needs to put a check by his own name because he is the biggest hypocrite of all.

March 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  5. Sarah , Newton, Georgia

I've been unemployed for almost 2 years, I've used all my savings and need any help I can get. Trust me there are no jobs available in my area.

March 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Vivian - Mtl

Good evening everyone! A big who dat? to Anderson.

Why is it that politicians act like 2 year olds?
    Yes I want that- No I don't.

I guess that's what hapens in a minority government.

March 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Could it be its election year!

March 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  8. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Anderson,

YEs it's hypocracy at it best (on both sides).

However, Sen Bunning chose a bad bill to exercise his point of pay as you go. He certainly made the Rep. party look like the party of "NO".

Democrats, not to be out done, used Sen. Bunning's hypocrasy to their benefit.

In the end, it looks like us regular people do not matter to Many of the WA DC crowd.

March 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

If bunning was looking to get his point across, he picked the wrong bill to get that point crossed

March 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  10. Adelaide

Some people just do not know when to give it a rest! Bunning just proved that.

March 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Greg Yohn

I lost my UE benefits, since I took a PT job. The UE was based on the PT job earnings and not my FT Accounting Position. That PT job ended and my UE is gone as well as my savings.

They extended UE benefits, but I have not had UE, since July 1, 2009.

March 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  12. michael armstrong sr.

Its time for the Work Force Commision to start a look for jobs program with must be there classes and after graduation if no job is found then you must work for for your check doing mandated work provided by the commision to get benefits .

March 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson.
    Good point, I agree with your question!!!! I hope people need hear good news tonight, But I also disagree with Senator Bunning's comment.

March 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Kim- Ohio

I don't think he would have done it either if he was running again. This bill is too important for the unemployed people.

March 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Jennifer - AZ

I'd like to see Bunning loose his job and health benefits. He talked (last night I think) about this issue taking so long that he was missing some sports game; I don't think he actually realizes that some people are worried about just paying a $70 electric bill.

March 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  16. Joe

Why did Bunning vote against Pay-as-you-go?

Joe, Binghamton, NY

March 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  17. A. Smith, Oregon

@ Karen Goff, with the extension passed and signed into law tonight, your benefits should be available now.

March 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  18. Tim, Canada

Scandalous. The GOP, as usual, stomping on the lives of ordinary folk to score political points. The unusual factor here is, who had the good sense to realize they were paddling up the wrong creek?

March 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  19. James from Idaho

Hello AC360 crew.

The dems dont' seem to be platying politics on this one actually. What they seem to be doing is interrupting the politics. They wanted unanimous consent because it's actually a good bill and to go to cloture, as Bunning suggested, would have only been a distraction from other legislation, like the HC reform bill.

March 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  20. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on tonight.
    I'm very glad the benefits are being extended–though I have to say I wasn't aware it was being considered until the conflict with Sen. Bunning.

March 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  21. David Elley

Anderson,

Senator Bunning never saw a spending bill he didn't care if my kids paid for during the reign of George W Bush. I suppose that means his list of hypocrites starts with his own name.

March 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Most politicians end up contradicting themselves sooner or later to fit their needs. Bunning is no exception.

March 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    It is already bill benefits for employments, that they lost their jobs, no afford to pay for their health-care......

March 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Devin

Ewww I hate politions and i just plan out hate politics but i guess there is a time and place for them?

March 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

So how is wanting there to be money in the checkbook before writing a check bad? Obama himself said we needed to pay as we go; and that's what we did.

March 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Every little bit counts!

March 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Karen Goff

I am unemployed. The TWC website said benefits are no longer available as of February 27. So does this mean I DO get an extension now? I am confused...

March 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  28. starr, formerly known as vincent

Dana Bash is right, based on his taped performances, he certainly came across as down right Rude!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Emily

They are nearly ALL hypocrites. (it seems.)

March 2, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  30. A. Smith, Oregon

Slicing Millions of American's from unemployment benefits is simply a opening move to lay the format for unveiling the Republican plan and goal of eliminating Social Security and Medicare-Medicaid entirely under their faux banner of new found fiscal responsibility.

March 2, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Charlotte

So glad the bill was approved!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

I am happy you are anchoring, as you explain what’s happening in the world very well, especially respectful of the people you are interviewing.

Keep smiling and the positive balance of new stories.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

March 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Emily

Good Question Anderson....Why THIS bill?!

March 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Kim- Ohio

Finally glad they passed this jobless benefit program!!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Isabel Siaba

Good evening everyone – Anderson, David (Indiana), Megan, Starr, Gabriela, Emily, all friends and bloggers!

Everywhere in the world there are politicians who forget that they represetam the interests of people!

March 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. D..J.

What a shame one man (Bunning_ can cause so much trouble for unemployed workers. What in the world is wrong with our country's leaders, what is wrong with the Senate.

March 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. A. Smith, Oregon

Is the Republican Party's goal and core belief trying to tell us that a return to 1930s bread lines is OK? Republican Senator Jim Bunning certainly represents the party of NO. What a hypocrite, he repeatedly voted for two foreign wars the past 8 years on credit.

March 2, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Heather - Spokane, WA

If the senator wanted attention, he sure got it

March 2, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, Dodie, Emily, David, Isabel, A. Smith, Devin, Megan, everyone.

Thank God Sen. Bunning changed his mind!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. I'm so glad the jobless benefits bill was approved. Something good from congress. Now lets get health care passed.

March 2, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Adelaide

Hello everybody!

March 2, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  42. A. Smith, Oregon

Good evening Anderson, Poppy, Megan, Jessica, Candy, David Gergin, AC360 and CNN Staffers and fellow Bloggers!

March 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Briana, Kira, Devna, 360Team, Megan, Starr, Gabriela, Dodie, Mike, David & Isabel, Jo Ann, Gloria, Casey, Adelaide A.Smith, Kim, & Bloggers!

What is he getting for his vote?

March 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Kim- Ohio

Hi everyone....hello Anderson!!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson and everyone

March 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Charlotte

Hey Anderson have a great show I was so glad to see you back last night. Hello bloggers!

March 2, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Poppy, Megan, Jessica, Candy, David G, Ed Henry, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thanks for coming in to join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Tuesday night!!!

Finally!!!! I am glad Senator Bunning is over!!! I hope they need bring people back to work! 🙂

March 2, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Good Evening everyone! Anderson, 360 Crew, Megan D, Emily, Dodie, Isabel, Heather and Bloggers!
    Is Good to be back, I miss you all and the show the last days, but I am happy to be in the Blog again!

March 2, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

March 2, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone. Never a dull moment in politics!

March 2, 2010 at 10:00 pm |