February 22nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/22/10

We've got breaking news. Former V.P. Dick Cheney is hospitalized with chest pains. Plus, Pres. Obama unveils his own health care plan. Can he get his own party to back it? It's part of our "Broken Government" special reports all this week.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    The story that Gary reported on, it was strange...I get the feeling that people in Haiti are not trusting anyone after those Missionaries were arrested. (or many are not.). Sounds like there are a lot of hoops that people are having to jump through.

I hope that Gary will keep reporting on that story.

February 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  2. annie

Anderson – you are the very best! ... keep up the great work!

February 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hello everyone.

I don't see how the high school teachers can get all the blame for these kids' grades when the kids have obviously been socially promoted over the years.

However, in these tough times it's ridiculous to ask for a raise at this time.

February 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Shanny

Hmmmmmmmmm it takes more than teachers to turn a student population around. There will likely be a lot of other issues to deal with too.

I work at a school in a support position in a poorer community where students are below average in their performance ...

How bout some community volunteerism to stay after school and help so teachers can plan for the next day??

February 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Nancy in Oregon

Emily...exactly. Not on the behalf of the children. On the behalf of their church.

February 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. starr formerly known as vincent

Gogs Rule!! Especially this dog, given his size (smile)

February 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  7. lori

If the teachers go, then I think the administrators should also go.

February 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Vivian - Montreal

Hey AC, think I'll follow the dane's twitter page, I wonder if he reply's to comments, can't be worse than you.

February 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Isabel

Yes, I understand what you say, My grandpa at the begining was a little insecure about the operation, he was always really strong, and he always made the things in his own way, he never felt defeted, he fight to this disease as a warrior, and like you said is important that they decide what's the best for them, and give them the best quality of life no matter how they planned to live it and most important all the support and love that we can give to them in this moments! 😮

February 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Devin-Amsterdam-Netherlands

I love great danes doesnt lady gaga have one? =)

February 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Emily

@Rhyan,

"What makes that group of people arrested for stealing Haitian children "missionaries"? What gives them that title?"

I think that it's because they were there in Haiti on behalf of their Church.

February 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Kim- Ohio

I don't think all those teachers could be doing that bad of a job. It seems to me that there has to be a bigger problem somewhere.

February 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Shanny

I love my GD but she's NO where near that big thank goodness!

February 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I saw the dog on Oprah this evening.

February 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why is it that 3rd world countries make it so hard to remove children via adoption? One would think they'd be happy to have their smallest citizens have a better life. Plus it's a few less mouths to feed.

February 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brasil

It's a big dog, it's so beautiful!

February 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

My brother's puppy Kira is a Great Dane, 8 months old, 80 pounds. That's a lot of doggie!

February 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "It sounds like the adoptions that were to happen prior to the quake in Haiti are also really taking a lot of time."

I don't understand that. They say that the paper work was lost in the earthquake, but don't they have computers over there? If they would let those adoptions go forward quickly then they would have more time to focus on the new ones.

February 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My aunt had once heart attack, she was coma one week in the hospital around 1993 I think, she is okay now.

February 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Chantal Valley Cottage, NY

Good Evening...everyone. Anderson first I want to say thank you for your work in Haiti...However many of us wonder if you will be returning soon. Last week there was an earth quake in Cap-Haitian, and today on the west side of Haiti....we have no news and many of us are worried...will CNN cover those areas???

February 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Kim- Ohio

That is one big dog!!!

February 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  22. KIRA KLEAVELAND AC360°

cutest dog ever!! so adorable. i love big dogs. I want a big dog. but its tough in nyc.

February 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  23. pat

Hi Anderson,
    great show , just wanted to let you know I watch all the time. Good job. People dont realize how difficult it is to deal with some govt agencies and there bureacracies. Wish govt wasn't so slow and unresponsive. Another reason alot of americans are frustrated.

February 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Devin-Amsterdam-Netherlands

Im going to join him on Facebook!

February 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  25. LisaL -Canada

Giant George!! luv luv luv those Great Danes ... I'll take two!!

February 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Ken

Anderson,

The Haitians need shelter, what about all of those empty cargo containers piling up in US ports, could they be shipped to Haiti and converted into long term accomodation. They would certainly stand up better to foul weather than tents.

Ken
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

February 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  27. lori

I love Giant George!

February 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Heather

Anderson-
    I just returned from a medical mission trip to Haiti 3 days ago. I feel the biggest need of the Haitian people at this point is shelter. It is the rainy season right now and there are hundreds of thousands of people whose only protection from the elements are sheets held up by thin sticks.
    Is there something you can to do help get the word to the appropriate people that there is such a huge need for shelter? I don't know where else to turn and I could tell by watching your program you have a true heart for Haiti.
    Blessings to you!
    Heather

February 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Jacky

Hello all.

How do you protect from forgeries? This is a BIG MESS. There has to be a halt to people wanting to adopt. I don't agree with rushing adoptions even if there was an earthquake. There are RULES to follow. A foreigner must respect a country's rules or else you will be suspect.

February 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

You're great Gary Tuchman!!!!!!

February 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Vince

I agree ...this incident will not and should not discourage people from adopting the kids...ultimately it is all about the well being of the kids.

February 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  32. starr formerly known as vincent

@Isabel

I agree with you re: orphans.

However, if there are strong agencies that can really take care of Some orphans, i also see the valueof them growing up in their own culture.

And, yes, it sould as if Haitian gov. is in complete disarray-don't know what they are doing.I agree with the woman guest that the State Dept. needs to coordinate with Haitian gov.

February 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Rhyan

And I have a question... What makes that group of people arrested for stealing Haitian children "missionaries"? What gives them that title?

February 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Isabel

Yes, I understand what you say, My grandpa at the begining was a little insecure about the operation, he was always really strong, and he always made the things in his own way, he never felt defeted, he fight to this disease as a warrior, and like you said is important that they decide what's the best for them, and give them the best quality of life no matter how they planned to live it and most important all the support and love that we can give to them in this moments! :o)

February 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Emily

It sounds like the adoptions that were to happen prior to the quake in Haiti are also really taking a lot of time. ...it's not just new adoptions.

perhaps a few bad apples (those few missionaries), they seem to have given all of them a bad name!

February 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  36. annie

What about other countries wanting to adopt babies in Haiti? Why only focus on adoption in the U.S.? I hope this isn't only open for consideration for Christian families from the United States.

February 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Devin-Amsterdam-Netherlands

=-0 hahahaha I love this show its how I learn better English and I learn more! =D

February 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

Good heavens, Mike....I just realized you were right. And what that says about our nation. OMG. To think we have that kind of blood-lust is a horror to me.

February 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  39. KIRA KLEAVELAND AC360°

plus i like her glasses. They remind me of a blue version of Tom Daschle's red spectacles.

February 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Kathy Chicago

Don't you think that the regulations will be stricter? I don't think people will not want to adopt those beautiful children.

February 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am always uncomfortable when religious organizations are in charge of things like this.

February 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kira,
    I agree with you, Gary Tuchman is doing great job contract Prime Minster..... Not comment from PM, I think American Missionaries can do adopt orphange children, I hope.

February 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  43. KIRA KLEAVELAND AC360°

I like this guest Jane Aronson. She's very smart and refreshingly brings a nuance to her conversations with Anderson, which is always nice.

February 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

That "socially liberal" part does indeed vary, for sure!

February 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  45. LisaL -Canada

i agree that the processes need to be 'normalized' as much as possible, at least in certain areas, and it probably won't be easy but it probably will be worth it.

February 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Kim- Ohio

Good job Gary Tuchman!!!

February 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Nancy in Oregon

I agree...'normalize the process'. The adoption 'rescue mode' in Haiti has taken on a frantic tone.

February 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Donna Wood,TN.

Hello everybody. Hope everyone had a great weekend. It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood here in Lil` Tennessee. Temp in the 60s. Sounds like Mr. Cheney will be just fine. Thats good. Kind of expected the Haitian government to crack down hard after that last fiasco. Not surprised here.

February 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  49. lori

Hello everyone! Happy Monday!

February 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Emily

@Kira,

"socially liberal and fiscally conservative. "

I find that to be an accurate description. – many Republicans seem to be like this; keep their personal views to themselves' and really want answers as to where their money is going, & how much.

February 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |