February 20th, 2010

Dear President Obama #397: Tiger's tale and what's in a name...

Reporter's Note: President Obama has met Tiger Woods, which, despite all the wild tee shots (ahem) Tiger has been dealing with lately, still seems kind of interesting. Maybe I should write a letter to Tiger. Heaven knows he should have time to read it now.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/POLITICS/02/18/obama.dalailama/smlvid.obamapress.gi.jpg width=300 height=169]

Tom Foreman | BIO
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

Did you watch the big Tiger Woods apology for his off-course activities? It was kind of strange, I thought. Seems like he either should have done it a lot sooner, or not at all. It was just peculiar popping up like it did. “Hey America! Remember all that stuff you were upset about back during the holidays? Well, just in case you were forgetting I want to remind you…”

Oh well, who knows why people do the things they do? I knew a guy in college who periodically dressed up in a monk’s robe and roamed from class to class calling himself the Phantom. A few years later I saw him and asked about it, and he started quoting the Bible and talking about how he had renounced his evil ways. I have no idea what he meant. So go figure.

Speaking of things that don’t make a lot of sense, I was less than delighted to hear about your plan to rename the war in Iraq in September. First of all, in September? If this is important, do it now. Is there some kind of special, back to school discount on new war names? Second, with all the big, urgent issues we’re facing these days, why are we wasting even a heartbeat of time renaming a war? I’m pretty sure it doesn’t change a thing. Like that whole Beyonce/Sasha Fierce business. I think she just confused people, and you could wind up doing the same.

And the title: “Operation New Dawn.” C’mon. Sounds more like a cheesy ad campaign for dishwashing liquid. Which, of course, is the problem. I think people are exhausted with people (particularly politicians) trying to sell things to them by just slapping a new, fancy title on, and this feels kind of like that.

Still, if you are hell bent on it, at least take a moment to consider some more options. A new, less threatening name for a war? How about: “Hey It’s Over..We won!” or “Scruffy the Loveable Circus Mutt” or “We Now Return You to Your Previously Scheduled National Priorities.” Now, now those are encouraging names! Why, with one of those, people might now realize it is a war at all.

But kidding aside, a lot of brave Americans and their families have gone through a great deal of worry, work, and heartache in Iraq doing their duty for our country. Frankly I don’t care what name we give to the war. I care that we remember their names, honor their service, and thank them from our hearts when that conflict is finally done.

Call if you are so inclined.

Speaking of names, did I ever tell you that when our younger daughter was on the way, we asked the older one, who was three, what we should name her little sister. She said, “Turkia.” Like I said, go figure.

Regards,

Tom

Follow Tom on Twitter @tomforemancnn.

Find more of the Foreman Letters here.

1. charlie

The Tiger Wood's story should be about the tyranny of the media and thier assumed right to interrogate individuals about their private lives. Is there no legal protection for from this sort of assault?
    Bush already renamed the the war in Iraq to "Mission accomplished".

February 22, 2010 at 2:58 am |
  2. lori

Presentation is everything. A new name may boost public support/opinion.

Tiger has a long way to go on a tough road. Too bad.

February 22, 2010 at 12:27 am |
  3. Maria H-Miami

I'm a small business owner. I can't believe that while we in the business world are working 24/7 on keeping our heads above water, keep those paychecks coming to the families that depend on us, Obama has time for this nonsense, as if it were to make the war disappear or improve the economy. Even my sister-in-law's law firm is feeling the drop in our economy.

February 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  4. Omari Smith

Sad thing is people are so quick to judge someone for mistakes, I feel like it is really his wife he need to explain anything to. We are so quick for gossip and news its sad. We are so into the gossip why not gossip about the good Tiger have good, I am more than sure his good out weigh his bad. I still admire Tiger despite his faults he have done so much for our communities all around this world. I will continue to pray that god holds him together strongly for the sake of his wife and children.Tiger you have a fan always here. Omari

February 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  5. stella

I really loved this article, I can't remember laughing so much about something so serious.

February 21, 2010 at 1:13 am |
  6. Shirah Penn

With all we have learned about human behavior, it just seems like there must be a better way than to continue a war. War begets war, ....the Bible even says Turn your swords into plowshares.....This is nothing new. People have always found someone or some group to hate from the earliest times. Those people who were inspired by a God of goodness and mercy were so inclined to write the history of people in the Bible and other books.....We weren't there those million of years ago....We can only benefit from the past by learning from it and making something new to work from.
    There are no winners when it comes to war or arguments for that matter. Does it really matter who is Right?????The Democrats and Republicans seem to spend so much time wanting to prove the other wrong so they can seem more Right...Who really cares. What do we really want. Do we really want our children to go off to war to be killed? do we want our planet to be blown up????Can't we work together to help people create better lives, more jobs, and less poveerty aroung the world....Just saying.......Gramma Shirah

February 20, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  7. Cheryl

Tiger's apology was sincere. He is a young man and youth is likely to to foolish, better now than when you can be labeled an old fool like our politicians.
    Secondly, Tiger's marriage was a contract marriage. ($20 mil)

Third, he was trained in a culture of entitlement by his peers and advisors. They probably all do what he does.

Renaming the war –It's about time. People are tired of it in the first place. War on terror, War on drugs, War on crime-straight out of J. Edger Hoover's play book.
    Our occupation in the mideast is a police action. That's why our vets aren't getting paid.

February 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  8. Reggie523

Ok ok! Enough! Bring back a limited draft please! We can't fight everywhere. Bad folks are in the us also. So if you Rep and Dems wanna fight then bring back a draft..hell it would spur growth, help unemployment cut down on young men and wommen going to prison. Atleast consider one and stop the abuse and maltreatment of the all volunteer services.

February 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  9. Annabelle

Oh Hell Yes! You said it! YOU SAID IT!

February 20, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  10. Jed Brown, Utah

I was impressed by Tiger's press conference. He did pretty good for a guy with aboslutely no experience with giving press conferences. It was obvious that he was prepped, but people would complain if he wasn't... go figure. lol! 🙂

Iraq... I see the new name and I imagine a team of people gathering around a big fancy desk who decide that the war in Iraq needs a new name in order to change the way that the American public thinks about it. If anything, it gives me confidence that the Obama presidency is willing to take credit for it to the point of asking us to pay attention to the new beginning there.

February 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
  11. Rachel LaMar, J.D.

GREAT humor! I really enjoy these posts...the perspective you put on issues that are ironically laughable but at the same time seem to drive stakes down the middle of American opinions is a nice spin. Keep it up! By the way, tell the media it is time to move on from Tiger...it's getting boring.

February 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  12. Dr.Namwanja paul

PRESIDENTS FOR ALL
    Its good for the World leader, President B.Obama, to meet Tiger woods because the president is a leader of all people.Meaning sinners, saints, crooks, blacks, whites. tall, short etc etc and its the society which judges and not the president, although the president only has to know what to say, with the very one he is with.

February 20, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  13. Tina

I can't even remember the name of the war in Iraq. War on Freedom? Desert Storm? No, we already had that one. Did that one even end?
    Brave Americans.....so true.

February 20, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  14. Tim Gibson

A fancy new name will not change the fact that we are at war. It appears that an attempt to redress the ugly facts of war into something less than they are with a misleading label, much like the phoney apology of Tiger Woods while standing in front of his hand selected supporters. Was it just me or did Tiger have the appearance of a drone.

Yet, operation New Dawn may reveal itself not in Sept. but when the polls close across the nation in the midterm elections. It will be a new dawn indeed.

February 20, 2010 at 7:59 am |