February 17th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/17/10

Breaking news: 8 of 10 American accused of kidnapping in Haiti are heading home. Plus, the raw politics of a U.S. Senate race in Florida. Is one of the candidates not Republican enough?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

I'd still love to see a special on what has gone on in Haiti politically since they gained their Independence.
    What an interesting story that is.

February 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hello everyone. This story about Aristid is revealing. What is it with some politicians? The power and money is just too good, hmm?

February 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Renee

@ Theresa: I agree. Let's use those cute beagels at the airport for more than just sniffing for fruit.

February 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Aristide is just as corrupt as all the others.

February 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of your comment what Toyota made many mistakes, they have lot recalls due brakes to fix, Toyota president had apology to all.

February 17, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Emily

Looks like Toyota's spotless record of such great quality has really gone down the drain!

February 17, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Sabrina in Los Angeles

There is just too many corrupt people popping out lately.

I think we are getting a bit too polarizing. We have The Tea Party, FL Republican is not conservative enough? really? Why do we need to pull to the extremes so much?

I feel so bad for the Haitians and their long history of evils.

February 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

Casey, Palm Spring CA

What an interesting comment. It will be facinating to see What happens period. Apparently the hand swipes also react to any kind of fertilizer too.

February 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  9. A. Smith, Oregon

I'll try yet again, there are naturally occurring 'Nitrogen based compounds' on peoples hands that would automatically be tagged for nitrogen based explosives. It is a utter and complete oversight for TSA to swab peoples hands for any reliable indication.

February 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Vivian - Mtl

Laura Silsby had meeting in a car with a cop from Haiti and another with a cop from the Dom.Rep.–remember? This was reported by AC360 in the beginning of this mess.

February 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Rose P.

Haiti – Thank you Anderson, Dr. Gupta and the other CNN reporters that have gone to Haiti. Your reporting been exceptional, your humanity has touched the Haitian people and Americans so deeply. I will never forget the image of you carrying the little boy to safety from the looting and Sanjay staying behind when the other doctors had to leave. I do hope you both receive humaniatrian awards you surely deserve them.

February 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  12. Theresa

Maybe instead of hand swabbing they should train more dogs.

February 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

The really bad part for us in the ongoing Toyota debacle is the effect on all of the jobs and taxes generated by domestic Toyota plants. That's a lot of jobs and taxes, especially for the smaller communities where those plants are located.

February 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Won't hand swabbing pick up gun powder residue from legitimate guns owners/users?

February 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Poppy!!!!!

That's so cute caption I have seen, I agree with Marshall!!!!!! I like his caption says Wolf blizzard, LOL! and Congrats Rodney!!!!! Yay!

February 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Josie

They did break the law so it shouldn't be overlooked because they said they were missionaries. The way I feel is that they just wanted to get the children to put them out as workers.

February 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

So if I had megamillions I'd be buying a Lamborgini, not a Toyota.

February 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I had to buy a new pair of shoes last weekend to replace those I use to help stop my Prius. (badum, bum...)

February 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Emily

Yay Love the Beat360!
    Congrats Rodney!!!!

That was great Wolf! 🙂

February 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  20. MIMI

I believe they are guilty on human trafficing. It hard for me to believe all of them didn't know what was going on. Guilty by association. All of them know they were doing something illegal and they should be punish. People have been trafficking children in Haiti for years and it sad how these people taking advantage of the earthquake situation and getting away with human trafficking. HOW SAD!!

February 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

How about a new reality series: Jon and Kate get sent on a one way trip to Mars.

February 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

The Gosselins arent gone yet?

February 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Kim- Ohio

Hand swiping at airports...Wow...its a shame its coming to this.

February 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Cessy-Chicago

TSA hand swabbing? what a waste of money! how about hiring competent TSA agents?

February 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I wonder if the hand swabbing will p/u trace elements of drugs, from currency we handle.

February 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Wow, Toyota is really self-destructing. Amazing for a company that has such a good quality record.

February 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  27. Devin-Amsterdam

I like German,American, and Italian cars I dont feel the love with Toyota =(

February 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  28. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

From what i understand, Silsby and her nanny are being kept, while they are investigated for a trip they made to Haiti last year.

I don't know anymore than that, except that the Haitian courts can take up to 3 months to complete the investigation.

February 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Giselle, Richmond, VA

What is the current status of the 33 children? I am concerned about their safety and well-being. Can you please provide an update on the children. In the beginning segment, Wolf only mentioned the status of the Americans. Can CNN please provide an update on the children. I know they are probably extremely confused and worried.
    Thanks!

February 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@David-Indiana,
    I think it was both of them Jorge and Laura, now are holding in jail. I am sure it was not Ms. Cotter. They have plan for them what they would charged for kidnapped. I am sure.

February 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  31. A. Smith, Oregon

Toyota makes the finest auto's for the general buyer in the world.

February 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Jude Charles

I am glad for the 8 amercans and their family as they were released from jail in Haiti. I believe the judge made the right ruling by releasing the 8 americans and keeping the other two. I always believed that the leader, Laura Silsby, was up to something that wasn't in the well being of the children, following CNN investigation on the whole situation since it started. I hope that the judge holds them until Jorge Puello is caught and that all the truth about him is revealed. I have a feeling, I may be wrong, that their is something murky going on between Laura and Jorge. Only God knows for now.

February 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

That report sounds really intriguing!

February 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Devin-Amsterdam

Well thank you wish I was wrong =(

February 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

David G is right, as always. Getting "partners" to have firm sanctions against Iran will be difficult, especially China.

Since Pres. Obama is meeting with the Dali Lama at the White House and USA is sending weapons to Tiwan, China does not seem to be in the mood to help us with much at all.

February 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Adelaide

Good evening Megan, Emily, fellow bloggers team AC360!
    Sorry for joining in late. Nice to see Wolf on!

February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Kathy Chicago

The Middle East just sounds like a powder keg. It could blow at any time.

February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Cessy-Chicago

Thanks for the info Mr. Gergen! I hope there's a lot of follow up on what's going on in Afghanistan

February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Claus

It is unfortunate if Crist is in trouble because he supported the stimulus package, and the reason he did so was to obtain stimulus monies for his state.

February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@A. Smith, there's never been any tie proven between the Tea Party and Corporate backers. The Tea Party base is those who pay the most taxes; generally white middle class people.

February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Sally

Are these people really missionaries? Or simply church volunteers. Big difference.

February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

And the Taliban's keep falling. Thats great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Reggan

Wolf,
    Can you please provide an update on the 33 children? I am very concerned about them. I know they are probably very confused and scared at this moment! Were they returned to family members? Are they returning any time of aid just as food. To much time and attention has been placed on the story of 10 people when thousands of children are in need.

February 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Vivian - Mtl

@Daniel M
    Yes, there lawyer was the same person who had the warrant out on him-turns out he's not a lawyer at all!

February 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  45. David, Indiana

@Megan, actually according to John Vause, no one's sure about where Jorge Puelo (sp?) is at this pt. Laura Silsby and a Ms Colter ( didn't catch her first name) are the two who the Haitian govt is holding.

Interesting to consider how the Tea Party and Republican party are exerting influence on eachother.

February 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  46. A. Smith, Oregon

Beat the Taliban? That sounds largely like crass propaganda. The Taliban will return the moment the troops pull out. Afghanistan army's will pledge allegiance to the Taliban the moment the troops pull out.

February 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Kim- Ohio

@Matt....were you at the orphanage the group was going to?

February 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  48. starr formerly known as vincent

@Devin- you didn't get it wrong....not wrong at all.

Good news on catching 2nd man from the top!

My prayers are with our Military!

February 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Devin-Amsterdam

@starr formerly known as vincent
    and
    @Emily
    thank you! =0D

February 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Emily

This is great!
    Another Taliban Leader has been caught. Fantastic!

February 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |