February 17th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/17/10

Breaking news: 8 of 10 American accused of kidnapping in Haiti are heading home. Plus, the raw politics of a U.S. Senate race in Florida. Is one of the candidates not Republican enough?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

@Starr,
    AC sure could use a day off to rest. Hopefully you are correct.

February 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Cessy-Chicago

AC still in Los Angeles? Isnt he scheduled to speak at the Ronald Regan Library?

I'm curious about the Professor who shot three people...

February 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  3. matt

Im so thankful that the 8 are coming home, they just wanted to help the children of Haiti, my wife and I were at the orphanage in the D.R getting ready for the children when they were detained. we all wanted to help and do what we could for the children of Haiti.

February 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

I think that the 8 people that were released, it's because they were right when they said that they came to Haiti with good intentions, but is clear that is not the same example with laura and the other one, because they still in Haiti and I am almost 100% sure that they are guilty!

February 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  5. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Emily, no mention of where AC is. Hopefully has a day off to rest! (smile)

February 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  6. A. Smith, Oregon

You notice very few if any Hispanics and African-American tea-party members. They generally seem intelligent enough to see the dark hand of heavy corporate interests behind 'the tea party'.

February 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Devin-Amsterdam

I think they should be called tea baggers it fits what the world thinks of them!

February 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  8. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

"Let's focus on the good rather than the one tenth of one percent where something went wrong."

Normally I would agree with this statement of yours here, however, when children are involved, and the possibilities of Child Trafficking! ....the spotlight really needs to be put on those & brightly!

That does not mean that all those that are doing great things should be overlooked!

February 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Cessy-Chicago

I hope Anderson gets to interview Laura Silby-=just keepin' it honest...

February 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  10. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Seems most of those Americans thought she had the affairs in order.

February 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  11. Renee

@ Heather: In my book GOP = Republican. Tea Party is not equal to Republican.

February 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  12. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Rubio is capitalizing on the anti-establishment feeling, not a huge conservative resurrection. Scott Brown has many middle of the road social positions, and he's become the anti-establishment darling.

February 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Devin-Amsterdam

Thats horrible! Its like selling people like animals it sounds like and no one is helping or doing anything to help! Atleast they wanted to help (either themselves or the Haition people)...mabey im lost on this story sorry...

February 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  14. starr formerly known as vincent

"the soul of the Republican party", that's a great way to put it.

I am amazed that Crist is in possible trouble. He seems rational and intelligent to me.

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse- your comment on the "good" that Americans are doing in Haiti is right on!!

February 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

What is the difference between GOP and Republican? I thought both were the same

February 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Kim- Ohio

Mike...I'm with you. there are so many people down in Haiti who are doing wonderful things. That is what needs focused on.

February 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Debby

Anderson -Hope you're having a great day off or are you on your way to Haiti again? Miss you-you are such a compassionate person and humanitarian. I am glad that most of the missionaries were released. It seems even though their goal was to help Haitian children they needed to do it the right way. Hope this sends a strong message to others. Love your show and the ability to express my viewpoint. God bless you all!

February 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Emily

I find it a bit too eerie that their lawyer has been involved with Child Trafficking!!!

Really sick stuff....
    I don't think we will hear the end of this story any time soon....

btw,
    does anyone know where AC is?
    was it said before the start of the show anytime?

February 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Wilfrid

Were these people found not gulty of kidnaping?

February 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Renee

I am putting my vote to Rubio!

February 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Wilfrid

How did come to release them?

February 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Kim- Ohio

Hello everyone...glad to see some of the missionaries released.

February 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

Good evening Wolf nice to see you. Where's Anderson? Good evening Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, everyone.

Though I truly wondered what the missionaries were doing, I think it's good that at least 8 of them are being released. Was John Vause saying that the release of all but two indicated that kidnapping charges would not be brought against Silsby and Colter?

February 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  24. starr formerly known as vincent

@Devin, Amsterdam,

There's been a lot of news on the missionaries who where detained in Haiti.

Otherwise, read the blog and you'll get the hand of it again.

Nice to see you back on the blog!

February 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point, Wolf! I agree with you. 🙂

February 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Emily

@Devin-Amsterdam,

The 10 were caught with children that they were looking to take out of Haiti, however, they didn't have the proper paper work and they were told in advance that they were Not allowed to do that....
    It seems like Laura S. is the one in charge of this group of ten; that not everyone knew what was going on.....

February 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  27. A. Smith, Oregon

The 10 family members all paid the person charged in El Salvador of kidnapping children for prostitution, some 50,000 US dollars for 'legal' representation. What does that tell you?

February 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  28. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

For this one bad story there are thousands of stories with Americans genuinely helping. Let's focus on the good rather than the one tenth of one percent where something went wrong.

February 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  29. LisaL -Canada

good evening wolf. long day for you!

i wonder what they know about the remaining two missionaries in haiti that separates them from the rest of the group. what a strange situation.

February 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Kellie

They went do 2 haiti 2 prey on the children there sould be no bail! they had no intentions of building an orphanage, not even the papers 2 start adoptions! The were plain and simplily going 2 sell 2 highest bidder 4 the church or just maybe for themselves!

February 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

Safety? Makes sense that they would be on a military flight. Also, maybe they had no money or credit cards to fly commercially.

February 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Daniel Marlo

Regarding these Baptist Missionaries. Do we know how children are trafficked? I'd like to see a special report on child trafficking.
    And maybe they didn't know they were trafficking kids – but they would if those Haitian kids were their own children. Also – maybe I missed it – was their lawyer the child trafficker from South America with a warrant out for his arrest?

February 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Emily & Ceesy
    I think it was Laura and Jorge are not released yet, I think others released.

February 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Cessy, I wonder that too. Whenever I see Silsby talk she has the voice and demeanor of those old tv evangelists, the ones who always said, 'Send me your money and I will make your prayers come true.'

February 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Devin-Amsterdam

I am really lost any help here? are they those christain missionarys who were kidnapping childern? whats going on with them?

February 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Hello Wolf, 360 Crew, Megan D, Heather, Dodie, Emily, Isabel, and everyone!! Good evening!!!!

Where is Anderson?

Oh!!! 8 of the 10 americans were released, I am pleased that Laura still in jail on Haiti!!!

February 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Danie T.

Good evening everyone,

I think it was a good move to free those eight Americans. Let's see what happens with the other two – Ms. Silsby does need to answer some questions.

February 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Kathy Chicago

Wolf, welcome back to 360!

February 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Emily

Good question Wolf!!!
    re the corrupt lawyer!

February 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Cessy-Chicago

I'm curious if the 8 people released will file suit against Laura Silby for reasons that they had no idea about Ms. Silby's plan? hhmmmm...

February 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Emily

@Megan,
    I want to hear which 8 were released!

Sounds like there were the eight there that went with good intentions....
    the other two however....

February 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Devin-Amsterdam

O its been a while sense I watched sorry hallo Wolf! can someone fill me in in whats going on I feel lost...

February 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Heather - Spokane, WA

I was happy to see the eight Americans released today

February 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  44. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi Wolff! great to see you

Hellow to my fellow bloggers and friends.

Am glad that some of the Americans were released from Haiti. It sounds like they were possibly duped into going on a humanitarian effort.

February 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Cessy-Chicago

Hello, everyone and good evening.

February 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Emily

Good evening Wolf, Devna, 360Team, Megan, Starr, Gabriela, Dodie, Mike, David & Isabel, Jo Ann, Gloria, Casey, Adelaide & Bloggers!

Interesting to hear why which ones are going free & which two are not.

Enjoying your 'candidates not Republican enough?' series.

February 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening everyone!

February 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Wolf!! Nice see you again!

February 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Jessica, Candy, David G, Ed Henry, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thanks for coming in to join us tonight!
    Happy Wednesday night!
    That's good news for me, 8 of 10 American accused of kidnapping in Haiti are heading home. Yay!!! YES!

February 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm |