February 16th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/16/09

Tonight we’re putting what some are calling the Broken Congress under the microscope. We’re also continuing our look at Republicans under fire from their fellow Republicans–for not being Republican enough. And we bring you a story about troubled adopted children.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Yei!!! Buddy was of the winners, I vote for him in the morning!!!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  2. A. Smith, Oregon

Goodnight Anderson Cooper, AC360, CNN staffers and fellow bloggers.

February 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Emily

Yea, Devna! you have a very cute dog!

February 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Marie from Wyoming

Most of the alternatives the Doctor suggested for treatment of troubled children are still very costly, if available at all. A vast percentage of parents with troubled children who have been dealing with this issue still plead for someone to provide them with some answers, not just reiterate the problems. Most of these people are totally aware of these issues; they need help in FIXING them

February 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Vivian - Montreal

Good night everyone!
    xoxoVivian

February 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Saveena, Pennsylvania

My greatest sympathy goes out to that climber's family and friends. Joseph Bohlig had an unfortunate and untimely death but he died doing what enjoys most in his life........climbing mountains. May the ones he left behind remember the good memories and may his soul rest in peace.

February 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, " Unfortunately, this is not uncommon."

I think that doctor is wrong, I know people who are having that problem and friends I know know someone as well.

I don't think it is as rare as she would want us to believe.

February 16, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Emily

Great that the stocks did so well! 🙂

February 16, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

This report by Gary Tuchman is heart wrenching. It is good to hear from Dr. Jane Aronson that there are so many approaches to helping a child or parent with attachment disorder.

February 16, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Tom K

Orphanages in China are much better than years ago but still can be very difficult places for kids to grow up in. These type of cases are the most difficult for parents and the children.

February 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Saveena, Pennsylvania

Its not just anger. There is an element of a thought disorder

February 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

The dogs are all too cute–I couldn't choose just one.

February 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Emily

@Dodie,

Sometimes I think that the Government should be run more like a Business! The money that it would save, the time, and more would be accountable!

February 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

my heart goes to hiker who fell crater at St Helens, when he was out of control. They found hiker dead. That's so sad.

February 16, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"How much is that doggie in the window?'

February 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Aknordberg in Omaha

I think the dog show and the Olympics should be combined. Push up the ratings. My money is on a not too tall, not too short dogs. Perhaps a Visla? In a lovely, red sequined shift gliding gracefully on ice...
    Yes, I really need to get more. Stupid blizzards.

February 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Mary

We adopted a 3 year old american girl, she had been abused with FAS and in foster care. She was very very difficult (and still is). She had been abused and it was very difficult for her too. She scared me at times but we got thru it. She is going to be 26 next month. We just kept loving and trying to understand what she had gone thru. I at one time was scared she would do something to us, she used to hit her brother all the time. We did not find psychcrists of any help. We survived.

February 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I wonder if these adoptive parents have the children examined in depth medically to determine if there are hidden problems.

February 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  19. Shan, Singapore

Very much doubt it was Mossad that did the killings. They would'nt be so sloppy especially to have that many faces caught on camera!

February 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  20. Aaron Auaua

Ya the assassination in Dubai was well executed. i watched the entire footage released this morning and it was chilling to say the least. . . When does the cycle stop?

The CIA agent interview was a little wierd. He was trying to imply that it could have been a private group, which I seriously doubt. What private group has "beef" with Hamas and would send 12 well trained assassins to kill someone? I don't know of any. All trails apparently point to Israel's secret service/CIA known as Mossad. Who else could it be?

Any other ideas?

February 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Emily

Wow, a lot of dog lovers there!

February 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Cessy-Chicago

excellent segment on troubled kids.

February 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Nadine

I'm glad this story is finally being told, but domestic adoptions are plagued by organic alcohol-related behavioral issues in the form of FASD as well; soul crushing for adoptive parents who have to learn of the issues on their own.

February 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  24. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I still wonder about the cost burden on families who have to use numerous treatment options for troubled adoptions. That issue needs to be further examined as part of the report.

February 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  25. Lori

Raising kids is not as easy as it looks, adopted or not.

February 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Saveena, Pennsylvania

Wow! that child is really full of anger.

February 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Karoline, Los Angeles

I cannot imagine the pain a child must feel when their parents decide to give them up.

February 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The doctor seems to be downplaying this problem, but if it is your problem that isn't very comforting.

February 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Dodie, Irvine CA

Also people can become very psychotic if they become profoundly depressed. That is not studied in children, but it is a well known fact with adults...

The problem is placing children on anti-psychiatric drugs. There are so many side affects.

February 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Yvonne

Houston, Tx

In response to kids dangerous to raise. Most of these kids are mentally ill. My 17 yr old son is bipolar and has attacked me and my younger son numerous times. We lived in feard for years. Police wouldn't prosecute until he was 14, but the violence started when he was 8. Most families can't afford these ranches and those kids don't get better. They get bigger and meaner. I love my son but i fear for my safety. He no longer lives with me.

February 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Tom K

Thanks for having Dr. Jane Aronoson on. She's helped a great many adoptive parents of international kids over the years, espcecially when there were few resources around

February 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Becky , Boston

Yah ! Gary , great story and adorable interview. Tough situation.

February 16, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Lori

It seems like so much can be done in the home for kids.

February 16, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  34. LaSonya

@Gloria, I agree with you. key point ... he said, he would like to explore. i think he would settle a bit more if he knew his biological parents. I think it is very sad that the other child has to be told that he is being given up for adoption again. he may never recover.

February 16, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Karoline, Los Angeles

I would like to ask the doctor if the reactive detachment disorder is closely related to the babies missing out on key development stages, especially their early childhood needs to bond with a caregiver.

February 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Dodie, Irvine CA

The child has an attachment disorder, but this is much more severe. I still say this also has a neur ochemical problem. It can also be genetics. They are looking at this today!!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  37. nathan

There is always an excuse made, I find it interesting that so many children are "special" and diagnosed with disorders never immagined years ago. We are in a society that is full of excuses rather than responsibility.

February 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Susan, NJ

Even minor drinking during pregnancy affects the baby's brain.

February 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Unfortunately, when you adopt children and don't have info on the parents you don't know what you are going to get.

February 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Emily

@ Susan, NJ

"Who knows how the effect of orphanage life affects these children"

Exactly! The adopted parents have no idea, and things could have been going on when the child was too young to speak. They later act it out when they get older. This is an extreme side of it, yet it happens, and to various degrees.

February 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you, kid is so terrible his life..... I felt his pain what he had done for him. he is so distrubing to see this.... Thanks Gary for reporting. That's so scary blow my mind!

February 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  42. Greg

If this only happened in adoptions our prisons wouldnt be full of people.

February 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  43. Jan

If we voted out all of the congress folks, they would get the message quickly.

February 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  44. Susan, NJ

We live in such an artificial environment maybe a more natural setting allows for more physical expression.

February 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  45. Amarie

@ Jo Ann- Most people are more interested in what is best for them not necessarily what is best for the country...

February 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Dee in CT

My heart broke for that little boy – I hope he finds peace.

February 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  47. Kimberly, IL

Great reporting Gary, thanks for the insight!

February 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  48. Saveena, Pennsylvania

I really don't have any opinion on this kind of problem.

However, I do have another opinion. Right here in the USA, we have alot of children in the system that needs a home, children that lives in the streets and are homeless that needs a home but my fellow Americans go outside our country to adopt children. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those innocent adopted children from another country but why not give our own children a chance of a family before we go outside and look?

February 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Susan, NJ

I have seen so many boys outgrow this stage of intensity and violence – even natural children.

February 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  50. LisaL -Canada

the children at the ranch seem to have all been adopted at quite young ages – it makes on wonder how much influence the first few years of life have on a person and their developmental behavior even if one cannot remember

February 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm |