February 16th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/16/09

Tonight we’re putting what some are calling the Broken Congress under the microscope. We’re also continuing our look at Republicans under fire from their fellow Republicans–for not being Republican enough. And we bring you a story about troubled adopted children.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. LaSonya Roberson

Being a moderate democrat, Ron Paul is one of the few republicans I support. I would have voted for him in the presidential election if he would have won the primaries. I really like him, he has always been honest as far a politician goes. Sarah Palin is not that type of person, I really dont like the type of person she is, she caters to the audience and is very dishonest.

February 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  2. gretchen

Yes ,I'm jaded.We need to do better as a nation,don't want to sound preachy but it's getting ridiculous.

February 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Val

Go Rand Paul, we need more like you, and your Dad Ron. Is cloning legal?

February 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Judy

Love Bill Mahr!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Laurence Ransom MD

What if Sarah Palin does not like being President? Will she just quit and write a book on how disillusioning it is? We need term limits for the House which would force the young bloods to compete with the establishment like Senator Byrd and the cream will rise to the top.

Really God help us if the Republicans won't place the people ahead of their party!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Dixie Simmons

Rand Paul needs to check his facts before speaking. I live in WV and we have pot holes everywhere.

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Mitchell

It does not matter if anyone thinks Palin will make a good president, she will never win, ever.

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  8. A. Smith, Oregon

International Assassins? From the Dubai point of view perhaps, but just as likely those killers were either CIA, MI5 or Mossad agents. Don't rule out the CIA contractors Xe employees whom are mostly Americans.

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Eric Cahoon

Ron Paul is the only man in politics that I trust. He has spread the same message of freedom and liberty for over 20 years. What other politician has ever been as consistent as him?

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Anderson
    Good point, Anderson!!!!! I agree with your question!!! 🙂 Go Anderson!

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Kimberly, IL

@ Dodie

I have said that exact same thing about Sarah Palin. She gave up on her state, so who is to say she wouldn't give up on her country if voted President (not that I think she would ever get elected). Sorry, but I don't like politicans who give up on the American people; we deserve more than that!

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Tony Black

Dr. Paul's son running for Kentucky Sen... KENTUCKY?

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

I have no doubt that Sarah palin will try to run for the presidency, but i dont think she would do well as president. If she couldnt commit to fullfilling her stint as govenor, imagine what she would do as president

February 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Emily

@Dodie,

I agree. I think that Congress has gotten into a rut of sorts.
    There needs to be fresh blood in there; back to when they were working for the people ~ when that was the First Goal for ALL.

February 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Isabel, Brazil

Good evening, Anderson!

Hello David (Indiana), Emily, Megan, Dodie, friends and bloggers!

February 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Cecil

Anderson, this would be a great time for you to help us promote the idea of term limits for our Congress. We need term limits and a reduction of their perts and no retirement system.

February 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Kathy Chicago

Hi AC. We all had such high hopes when the Dems took over Congress under Bush. The Dem Congress continued to allow Bush to spend uncontrolled. They just added their own pork. Now that the Dems are in total control they are still trying to spend money faster then they can print it. The Republicans are wise to step aside. The Dems are fighting among themselves and starting to unravel. Have they ever heard the phrase two wrongs don't make a right. They could have set a better example and worked on fiscal responsibity.

February 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Sharon Hastings, " Isn't Evan Bayh saying the same thing Sarah Palin did when she quit her governor position i.e. 'many ways to serve the country'. He didn't like the game so he's taking his toys and going home."

Not exactly, Bayh will finish out his term. Personally I would like to see him run for the presidency in 2012 so this is a good move.

February 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Lori

Hi everyone. This is an interesting conversation regarding congress. I love it.

February 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Kim- Ohio

Don't you know you shouldn't discuss politics at the dinner table!!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Emily

@A. Smith,

"Rep. Ron Paul is one of the few Republican lawmakers that I agree with on some of his issues and goals."

I agree with Ron Paul too! I think that part of what attracts so many to him, who would not normally vote for a Republican, of those that I have spoken with is that they find him sincere; someone who really cares about the people, and has the people first.
    What is it that you find you agree with?

February 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Cessy-Chicago

great questions to the Pauls, Coop!

February 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  23. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The lack is the government to agree on things that are time sensitive we dont have time to play games with government bickering .

February 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Dodie, Irvine CA

Rand Paul

Sarah quit her governor job. Would you be at all a little concerned she might quit in the presidency?

February 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  25. Kimberly, IL

Good evening!

Love the title of this segement. I believe that Congress is broken and there is too much bickering between the two parties. It's time to tear down the walls and join together to get problems solved!

February 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  26. A. Smith, Oregon

Sarah Palin is a wonderful spokesperson for the Republican party. Their goals appear to be entirely reflected in her as a person.

February 16, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Emily and Dodie,
    Agreed!!! That's true, I am tired of it and threw them out now!

Yes, Dodie..... I agree.

February 16, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  28. gretchen

Maybe the people of the US should stop paying their salaries.Because they are being paid by us,corporations and sweetheart deals to sit up there like spoiled brats and not do the work we sent them there to do.We as Americans are getting screwed over by all parties,they don't care,because no matter what they get paid.

February 16, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  29. david dyer

The poll says a lot. Most people think current politicians should be thrown out of office, but they think their own guy should be re-elected. No wonder things don't change....

February 16, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you from Los Angeles.
    I can understand the discontent with government–too much is not getting done in Washington.

February 16, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Adelaide

Hello & good evening everybody!

February 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Emily and Megan

I agree, I would like to hear Anderson discuss the broken Congress. I am at the point to say, vote them all out and lets start all over again! I could not be much worse than it is now

February 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. A. Smith, Oregon

February 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Can't win it if one is not in it!"

February 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Dodie, Im with you. Right now, Im not impressed with everyone in congress but at the same time Im an optimist and half of me is hoping that something will change and we will see the change we were promised

February 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Anderson, Bill Maher is a tough act to follow. Isn't Evan Bayh saying the same thing Sarah Palin did when she quit her governor position i.e. "many ways to serve the country". He didn't like the game so he's taking his toys and going home.

February 16, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Cessy-Chicago

Hello! Everyone! Lots of interesting news tonight...

Hi Anderson! 🙂

February 16, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Karin Urban, from Berlin/Germany

Good Morning, it is 4 am in Berlin! I've stayed up to watch AC360!

February 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Emily

"Throw Them OUT!"

Great report here by Tom Foreman.
    I think that this is a reason as to why so many Don't vote! (which I find really sad.)

February 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Kim- Ohio

Good night everyone!!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Mitchell

With all the failures in Washington, why are Americans not angry enough to want to start recalling some of these politicians ?

February 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  42. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Hi Anderson I promise i will try my best to be good tonight .

February 16, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Emily

Looks like a great show tonight AC!

Hello David; speaking of "broken Congress", I heard that Evan Bayh might be interested in running for Governor again… that he’s fed up with Congress, yet he did enjoy his time as Governor as was quite liked there in Illinois.

February 16, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Dodie, Irvine CA

Good evening Anderson Cooper, 360 Team, Emily, Starr, A. Smith, Megan, Linda-Az, Gabriela-Nicaragua Gayle, Isabel-Brasil and other bloggers

I would like to see every person in congress voted out! I am tired of both parties.

February 16, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Emily,
    Me too!!! I am really interesting Congress broken now! 🙂

February 16, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Andrea - nebraska

Good evening Anderson!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Jessica, Candy, David G, Ed Henry, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thanks for coming in to join us tonight!
    Happy Tuesday night!!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Devna, 360Team, Megan, Starr, Gabriela, Dodie, Mike, David & Isabel, Jo Ann, Gloria, Casey, Adelaide & Bloggers!

I’m looking forward to your series on “Broken Congress” tonight.

February 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

February 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone!

February 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm |