February 5th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/05/10

Tonight on 360°, once again we have breaking developments on the 10 Americans accused of kidnapping 33 children in Haiti. We've been on this story for several days and we keep uncovering new information. Plus, one senator blocking 70 presidential appointments because his pork projects haven't been approved. We've got the raw politics. And, who dat? - the two words with ties this Sunday's Super Bowl.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. marie

Hello my haitian friend,
    I think by now you know you have earned your haitian citizenship. I hope when we rebuild haiti the street you were on when you were helping the boy who was bleeding will be named after you.

February 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, everyone. But the papers to establish the orphanage are legal? I'm confused, if the children were to be taken to the US wouldn't that involve adoptions. So I understand that there's a discrepancy btwn Laura Silsby's answer to Karl Penhaul, but orphanages are often involved in adoptions and placing children with families.

February 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Emily

It's too bad that perhaps 9 of those people didn't know what was going on & were there to do good!

For Laura and the others that knowingly broke the law...

February 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Paolo

As I said the other night, her credibility if not intentions appears to be questionable. If Silsby wanted to do this process properly, she should have gotten lawyers before she got the children to sort out all the requirements.

February 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  5. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hello everyone. This story of the 10 Americans who went to Haiti not really knowing the full ramifications of what they were attempting to do is so sad. We can argue that Laura is the leader, but what about the 9 who just turned off their common sense?

February 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    YES!!!!!! That is so wrong thing to for them!!!!!! I agree with you, Good point!!!!!

February 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  7. A. Smith, Oregon

@ Devin, yes I agree. People that wear a religious or spiritual title must hold themselves to a higher standard which appears to be entirely lacking in this case of kidnapping 30 children for possibly dubious ends.

February 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Gaston

It is funny but I have the feeling these 10 amercicans did take those children with a fair objective to keep and raise them in good health and in a good environment for their own sakes.

February 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Vivian -mtl

I feel sorry for the others in her group who were also lied too by this woman.

February 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  10. LisaL -Canada

if this woman was wanting to set up an acreage, who was backing the investment (wasn't she broke, with tons of legal trouble)? who else was potentially investing in this property?

February 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Heather

I completely agree with you. People who use kids for their own personal gain is very disgusting

February 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That woman intention was to make money off those children.

February 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

It sounds like Silsby knew what she was doing but the rest didnt know what was going on

February 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Karl and Dan are good point!!!! I am really agree with both of Dan and Karl! Karl, Thanks for information from Haiti and law!

February 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

At the beginning I feel a little bad about this guys (missionaries), but now, Every time I see to this woman Laura talking, I don't know why, but I am more convinced that they did all of this with bad intentions!

February 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  16. Emily

OMG! Hearing Dan Simon talking, now I'm having flashbacks to the movie "Annie"!

This all sounds very disturbing...either way, I'm glad that they were caught!

February 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Molly

Yes Anderson, I think a lot of them didn't know what was going on. I'm concerned about the young girl in the group. I hope nothing horrible will happen to her in prison.

February 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  18. A. Smith, Oregon

If Laura's business is bankrupt, her home in the States was foreclosed, where was all the money that would be needed to feed, cloth and care for 30 young children? That dog won't hunt, she was just as likely going to sell these children in The Dominican Republic for mega dollars.

February 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Devin

I think no one working for god would do this! its putting shame on every christain missionary

February 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  20. Daisy

Keep up the good work! Thanks!

February 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Although many laws appear to have been broken, we still don't know what the ultimate disposition of the children would have been. Were they going to be sold into adoption, or was this just a misguided attempt to help?

February 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Isabel Siaba, Brasil

@ Anderson

How is justice in Haiti? The judgments are fast or is a lengthy process?

February 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gabriela
    Agreed! 🙂

February 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Vivian -mtl

She was probably gonna sell them in the US for the highest bid.

February 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Pamela B.

I used to only watch Fox. You have a great show and I think your coverage of Haiti is great! I watch 360 all of the time now.

February 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

It makes me sick to know that there are people who use kids for their own personal gain. They put on the face that they are there to help when they are only doing something to get themselves ahead and some attention that they do not need

February 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ sabel Siaba, Brasil

We need to be responsible for our behaviors in other countries... well this one to :~)

February 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I also disagree with Laura Silsby!!!!!!!! I am so thrilled they charged kidnapped children without Haiti's law!!! I think they will stay longer in jail.

February 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  29. starr formerly known as vincent

TGIF everyone!

The situation with Laura Silby is confusion and upsetting.

It sounds as if the others may not have realized what they stipped into.

February 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Emily

a lot of double talk from her! (Laura Silsby)
    terrible!!!

February 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. A. Smith, Oregon

@ Monica, indeed I'll be rooting for the Saints also, Who Dat? Drew Bledso and Da Saints! I believe Laura the Missionary has lost all creditability on being truthful about their intentions.

February 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Jan - Lancaster, PA

Hi Anderson and the 360 crew...Adoption story just gets more bizarre as each day passes..

Have a great weekend....Lots of snow here in the county.

February 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

February 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Dodie, Irvine CA

I find this very disturbing... This is the inherent problem when you have a ring leader in a group consciousness. No one willing to take a stand and say... "this is wrong" "this is not right" "I will not participate in this" It reminds me of the mob mentality!

February 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Happy Friday and hope you have a great weekend. What do you think is going to happen to these missionaries? What is next for them?

February 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Vivian -mtl

Hello everyone!

Can you believe anything that comes out of Laura Silby's mouth?

February 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Emily

Happy Friday Anderson, 360Team, Megan, Martina, Dodie, Gabriela, & Bloggers!

Hearing Karl reporting here is very eerie....

It clearly seems like Laura Silsby broke the law!

February 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  38. A. Smith, Oregon

I believe its time for the pubic to begin accepting all of these 10 kidnappers were up to no good and had bad intentions with these 30 children they kidnapped.

February 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Megan

Yes, thanks God is Friday! It´s been a busy week for me, is time to have fun!

February 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Monica M. Williams

Let's go Saints!!!!

February 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba, Brasil

@Dodie, Irvine CA

I agree... "They broke the law. They need to deal with the consequences!"

February 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone

February 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yup! Gabriela, It is.

February 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Dodie, Irvine CA

They broke the law. They need to deal with the consequences!

February 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. A. Smith, Oregon

Good evening, Anderson, 360 crew, bloggers, Emily, Isabel, Dodie! TG its Friday!

I'm very happy those 10 kidnappers have been sent to Prison pending their sentences.

February 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Devin

Grüß Gott Anderson Cooper! Looking forward to your show! Im not a big fan of American Football so what do people mean when they say "Who dat?" people were saying that today isnt it just a chant?

February 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Isabel Siaba, Brasil

Good evening everyone – Anderson, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Dodie, Irvine CA

Good evening Anderson Cooper, 360 Team, Emily, Starr, A. Smith, Gabriela-Nicaragua Mike and other bloggers

~*~T G I F ~*~

February 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Kiran, Megan, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily, Dodie, Star, Gloria, others and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday night!!! Couldn't wait this weekend....... 🙂
    Thanks for coming in and join us tonight!

February 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Good evening, Anderson, 360 crew, bloggers, Emily, Isabel, Dodie!

Finally is Friday!!!! :o)

February 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |