February 4th, 2010

Video: Helping children in Haiti or kidnapping?

Program note: Tune in tonight at 10pm ET for the latest information on the Americans jailed in Port-au-Prince for attempting to illegally remove children from Haiti.

Karl Penhaul
CNN Correspondent

Filed under: 360° Radar • Haiti Earthquake • Karl Penhaul
  1. Popi

AC/Penhaul.... Stay the course . Keep them honest. What happened to the officer who killed the guy carrying the rice and about the thousands of "restavek" living in Haiti. . Those 33 haitian kids would have had a better life adopted in the US, eventhough the lady did it the wrong way.

February 4, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  2. Ditta Duarte, VA

Almost in any catasthrophe there is always possibilty of child kidnapping. I've been in many major natural disasters around the world and some children, especially babies would be snatched away by strangers, let it be individuals or a network/group. In this particular case, the missionary group tried to did just that but got caught.

February 4, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  3. tracy herz

Getting thrown into a Haitian prison would be worth it to me if I thought I had saved one Haitian child from a sex trafficker. This woman who is the leader of a MISSIONARY GROUP WITH NO CRIMINAL RECORDS probably think so as well. Are we persecuting Christians here, or are we trying to shielf Haitian children from child sex traffickers?

February 4, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  4. KAREN

I agree something smells very foul. I believe that if the group had the right intents they would have work with the family to stay intact.Why move children, who are already traumatized ,to a strange place with strangers.Obviously, they did not have the interest of the children as priority. They feel that satan caused them not to fulfill God"s plan.I beg to differ.it was God who spoiled satan"s plan.The bible says what satan meant for evil God will make it for good.

February 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  5. Luis

To a point i understand the Haitian Gov. for trying to protect the children involve in this issue. At the same time we can't forget the fact that this is the same corrupted government responsible for Haiti having so many Ohrpans even before the earthquake. The inability of this government and the rampant corruption is in great part the cause of why parents want their kids out of there with the hope of a better life. If the missionaries did wrong for not having permission or official paperwork to take the kids...lets prosecute them, but at the same time......why this same goverment dont worry about putting back in jail all the criminals that escape from their prisions during the earthquake?. They have no legal system in place and now they want to look like they really care for the children!!...give me a break!!!....

February 4, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  6. Segnoria

Hmm. Leave one country. Go to another country. Ignore laws. Try to take kids to yet another country. Hmmmm. Couldn't build or support an orphanage inside Haiti? I hear a bit of religious arrogance in the voice of the group leader. I don't care if it's the name of Jesus. Something's not right.

February 4, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  7. Murkglider

Part of the responsibility in being a source of aid for another country is following protocol. It does not matter if you are on a mission for Christ, Satan or Bob Saget, you follow the rules.

Had this group stuck around, lent a helping hand and resubmitted papers, I am sure they would have been fast tracked into a legitimate organization with authorization to transport children.

February 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  8. Joseph

I cant believe that the Haitian gov. is spitting on our face this way by charging these good folks with kidnapping. I will not send a red cent to help these criminals. By the way did they did the Haitian Gov. make any arrest on the cold blooded killing done by their police and witnessed by CNN and others. It shows you what is really wrong in that country.

February 4, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  9. guerdie chery

somebody in authority has to get involved to get these people out of Haiti yes they broke the law but they had help. you have to have a heart of iron to go to haiti and not want to help these children who are going to die of hunger and everything else. the Haitian government has not shown a presence in the time to the nation greatness need they are going to make an example of these american just to show the world they have it together or they still in control please help them don't let the haitian governemt do that.

February 4, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  10. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

This story grows more fascinating with each new development. I read on CNN home page about the kidnapping charges. I don't know whether to feel sorry for these people or not. It's hard to believe they weren't aware that taking the children was illegal. Good in-depth reporting on this story last night. I look forward to hearing more.

February 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  11. Sara

There is no way they didn't know it was against the rules if they had watched any of the media covereage over the past two weeks. And the fact that right after they were on TV saying all the kids were orphans and then we find out that parents gave them the kids hoping for a better life really bothers me. Why would they lie about that. Something just doesn't smell quite right.

February 4, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  12. Denise Barlow

I can't say I know what these people's intentions were. But suffice it to say, it was done all the wrong way. They didn't think things through and consider the consequences of their actions. Because of that now they have to suffer. IMO, was it really worth it?

February 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm |