February 4th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/04/10

We have breaking news on the 10 Americans charged with kidnapping in Haiti. Plus, raw politics from Tennessee where the Tea Party convention is underway. We're also saying good-bye to two Pandas, now headed back to China.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@A. Smith, what is fair taxation? Is it fair that 47% of Americans pay NO federal tax, while my tax rate goes up to cover the freeloaders?

February 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  2. starr formerly known as vincent

Mr. Avalon is very informative!

@Anderson, very good question re: Where was all this angst durirng the Bush Administration??

Why is Obama et al being blamed for so much of what Bush et al did??!!

February 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  3. A. Smith, Oregon

Tea Party members are quite simply self-deluded puppets speaking for the corporate masses vieing for more political and tax favorism.

February 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel and Emily,
    Agreed! I do love beat 360, toooooooo!!!!! Very funny caption! Awesome!

February 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Ramiro, Concord NC

The Potus is so good in town hall settings, and should consider having one at the Tea Party convention.

February 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Lori

Many are struggling right now, which was not the case during Bush's Administration. Government spending is out of line compared with the lives of everyday people as well as the apparent results of stimulus efforts.

February 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Dodie, Irvine CA

If the Mega corporations would stop paying mega bonuses and hire Americans, the government would not have to hire as much as they are doing. The government is just taking up the slack due to large corporate America

February 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Clay

We need to make sure the the "qualified" officials that represent us do their frigging job. I do not care what party you belong to. I really do not trust any of them in Washington. When you see their lips move you wonder if they are telling the complete story. Or just the part that makes them look good.

February 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Claus, I just moved to NH, but you are correct, there's not a lot of big business here. There are moose however!

February 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Claus

Sarah Palin is not keeping the speaking fee; it goes back to the organization.

February 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  11. LisaL -Canada

i wonder if Bristol Palin's consulting company is getting any business from the tea party crowd. if her mom is speaking at the event, she would be in a good position to help promote her mother's cause, you would think.

February 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  12. sheba

See that is why i love Andy – he asks the right questions. Its like he reads my mind...where were these people during Bush? and are they not repeating what the GOP platform?? especially with Palin speaking there ...hmmmm...this may be Reps reborn??? i am confused. Like i say many times there spirits among us ....hahahahahah

February 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Nancy in Oregon

Megan Dressler, I will so miss Mei Lan, the panda from Atlanta. I watched her on their panda cam from her earliest days and kept my residents (at an assisted living) involved. It is sad to see her taken back.

February 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Adelaide

Thank you for raising the issueon the lack of protest under Bush, Anderson, I have been asking myself the same for quite a while now.

February 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Claus

@Dodie,
    Very few corporations are giving billions of dollars in bonuses. Primarily Goldman Sachs; maybe one other.

February 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Caroline, Los Angeles

I don't understand why some people hate the government. It seems we have a choice--"big" government or big business.

Those who choose big business have obviously never had to argue with any insurance company to get the coverage they paid for, whether it's coverage for home, car, or health.

February 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Dodie, Irvine CA

This Tea party need to go to Goldman sacks, AIG and demonstrate there! Maybe like Michael Moore, they can try and ask for their money back from AIG!

February 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Rose Bernadin

Hello AC360, I watch you religiously every day ever since you went to Haiti.
    LISTEN: I have a common about the group of religious people who were charged for kidnapping. I think they should let them go home back to America where they came from and inform them never to step feet back to Haiti. Because I know as an Haitian person, Haiti has no law for this kind of sentencing. Ok if happen they do have law. What about the POLICE officer who killed the other guy over a bag of rice? Where is the justice for this family? Shouldn't he also be in trial for murder if they do have law in Haiti?

February 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@shebe, the T.E.A. in Tea Party stands for Taxed Enough Already. If you pay too much in taxes, you are part of the Tea party.

February 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Gwendolyn Sadler

I don't understand why some American's think they are above the law.
    At first I thought they all should be tried for kidnapping. However,after listening to 360 it appears that Laura Silsby had her own selfish reasons for going to Haiti, and it wasn't in the name of the "Lord".

February 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

@Isabel, yes this case does seem to be a bit of confusion in the midst of an extensive humanitarian outreach of aid. Though seems like responsible people were on top of the situation.

Good evening Kiran Chetry. Yes Mrs. Salahi does seem to like red. Probably her husband does too.

Aren't there many reports of acceleration problems not only in recalled cars? Why is the company not addressing that question more directly?

February 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Nancy in Oregon

I agree....where were the Tea Party people before this?

February 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  23. Jennifer - Michigan

That's funny Gady Mayen – good one.

February 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

Tea party? what's that? I am gonna have to read about it!

February 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Pandas are gone all way to China new home!!!!! These are my favorite animals! 🙂 I hope they will adusting new life.

February 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  26. A. Smith, Oregon

With President Obama's determination to apply fair taxation on the rich and American Corporations, suddenly America has the tea party movement with their calls of Obama is a socialist, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who is bankrolling this movement.

February 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  27. Dodie, Irvine CA

If the billions of dollars given in bonuses by Mega corporations could have been used to hire the American person... we would have Millions of people now working.

February 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Emily

There are many Independents in the Tea Party movement!

February 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Did they not have a tea-party last year?

February 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Nicole

I am from Haiti. At first , I felt sorry for these people but soon realized they were opportunists and I suspect with very bad intentions. At the very least, the ring leader is involved in child trafficking or as one of your guests suggested wanting to use those kids for fund raising or something. After all, what better front to put up than church missionaries. Who would ever thought? They underestimated the
    Hatian police and thought people were so desperate they could get away with it. Let ' s hope this doesn't discourage good people from adopting the beautiful children of Haiti.

February 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Claus

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    Yes, the Tea Party movement is real. And I disagree that some that corporate America is behind it. Help me out if I'm wrong; I don't seem to recall a lot of major corporations with headquarters in NH. So I think there is something else behind this movement.

February 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  32. Caroline, Los Angeles

I heard that many of the Tea Partiers won't be there because they can't afford it. And the dinner with Palin? $300.

February 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Emily

@Isabel Siaba

"I like so much when the result of the Beat is shown during the AC360! 🙂 "

I agree with you!
    They are very funny!

February 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Nancy in Oregon

I half-thought the American missionaries were well-intentioned but naive, yet another nagging part of me thought they were very holier-than-though and full of self-importance too....now I have no doubt of it!

February 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  35. sheba

Yeah what is that tea party about – are they serving rare tea there? is it a movement waiting for a mother ship? i don't know what to think about this group....to be fair i have not seen their platform...do they stand for something other than the dems and the reps??? are they independents? who the heck are these people?

February 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The Tea Party movement is real. Here in NH people are fed up with government. Scott Brown was elected not for what he would do, but for what he would stop, the Obama big government agenda.

February 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Cessy-Chicago

Mrs. Salahi clearly knows where the camera is. She likes to pose. we should call her "The Poser" very fitting for her!

February 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh good!!!!!! I do love my favorite ketchup redesign, That's cool to see new one squeeze and dip! 🙂 I agree both of you, Anderson and Kiran!

February 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hi Anderson, Kiran and bloggers. The old ketchup packets are popular with middle schoolers for stomping on and making explode.

February 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  40. charlie

In China some of those financial exectives would face charges carrying the death penatly.

February 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  41. MJ

I am irrationally upset about the change in Heinz Ketchup packets. I suppose I should give the new ones a chance...but...it just seems all sorts of wrong.

February 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Adelaide

Awww...the cute pandas....

February 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Jeff

Everyone – Please give these people the benefit of the doubt. I am very suspicious about Laura Silsby but I believe the rest of them were blindly following her without knowing that they could be doing anything wrong. I happen to know one of the accused and he is one of the most humble, kind, generous, honest, and compassionate men I have ever known. Doing anything illegal or that would hurt innocent children is completely out of the question for this man. Lets not crucify anyone until we know the whole story. I can only hope the Haitian judge will get to the bottom of it and do the right thing.

February 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Jennifer - Michigan

The pandas are so cute.

February 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Emily

Why did the Nasdaq close so low?

That packet looks like the McDonalds McNuggets ones.

Yay! Congrats Lynda! Great Beat360!

February 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Isabel Siaba

I like so much when the result of the Beat is shown during the AC360! 🙂

February 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Brandon, OH

@A. Smith, Oregon here here on that one....

February 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Martyn Belmont

Just to add a bit to the Bank of America situation. The dividend is now 4 cents per share per year. They are going to pay 4 billion to the investment bank section but not raise the dividend to the poor fools who have stuck with them ( that would include me). Plus, did they not "write off" or take a loss of many billions for the 4th quarter of 2009? How can they pay these bonuses when they have these kinds of losses?

What kind of accounting is this?

February 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  49. D.T.

OK I have just listen to CNN and about what I wrote earlier maybe I should listen to the facts. Actually I was thinking the missionaries was trying to do some justifiable event but now after listen to cooper 360 maybe 9 of the 10 should be released and deported back to the states and the leader of the pack put on trial.

February 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  50. LisaL -Canada

it's the dress that makes her pose in that picture - nice color!!

February 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |