February 4th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/04/10

We have breaking news on the 10 Americans charged with kidnapping in Haiti. Plus, raw politics from Tennessee where the Tea Party convention is underway. We're also saying good-bye to two Pandas, now headed back to China.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dodie, Irvine CA

Meryl Lynch is such a problem. They are the reason one of the wealthiest counties in the US filed bankruptcy in 1995

February 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Aliou in FL

Some people just can't help themselves. She jumped into the internet bandwagon with no prepartion. Same thing she is doing now. Not really willing to learn or follow the rules. She is an opportunist. Any chance to make buck or to put herself in the fore front of something she knows nothing about.

Some people are just like that, until they are stopped by law, serious illness or death.

February 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  3. laura

I was hoping for the best, but I was suspicious from the start. It's a shame these people took advantage of the mom's and dad's of Haiti in their worst possible moments. These mom's and dad's gave their children to someone who they thought would provide a better life for their children, this alone is heartbreaking. I think most of the people in this church group were sincere, but I have alot of questions regarding this leader. This Naive, heartfelt, righteousness in my opinion is just an act. It's the same act child traffickers use to get in good standing with parents and children, conning them all along.

February 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Kimberly, IL

Clarification from Anderson or anyone–

Are the kidnappers being charged in Haiti or in the Dominican Republic?

February 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. jj

I hope the USA government does not try to extradite them so they don't get punished. They NEED to be punished in Haiti...Send a message!

February 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Angela

There's money in caring for children, whether it's having your own or caring for others, like in foster care and adoptions. Here in Michigan the gov't gives people financial support for housing and food on a sliding scale relative to the number of children you have and/or care for. Sometimes it is sooo much that the bridge cards (food stamps) are saleable on the street.

February 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. julia loren

As a marriage and family counselor & author specializing in post-adoption counseling and post-reunion counseling, I've seen the abuses of international child adoptions and coercion of US birth-moms to relinquish children for adoption first hand. And I know of other professional counselors who have left jobs in international adoption due to ethical concerns. International adoptions is BIG business. It is time to put a stop to those who abduct and exploit children for personal gain – whether sexual or financial. I am so glad that the Haiti case has brought this issue to light. My hope is for both justice and compassion for the misguided efforts of the team under arrest.

February 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Leslie

What a waste of time and resources! Why did these people do this? There is plenty of good that they could have done right there in Haiti. Seems like their leader is on some sort of weird power trip.

Now all of this energy has to be focused on this woman – energy that needs to be used on tracking down real traffickers. She deserves to be in jail. Hopefully they'll let the others go, because it doesn't seem like they knew what they were getting into with her.

February 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Sophia - Texas

Oh brother! As a Christian, it grieves and embarasses me to see "Christians" acting so un-Christlike. Bleh! :0( ...

Laura Silsby shoulda never been in charge of any group (her pastor is as much to blame...) and i hope the Haitian's keep her in the "can" long enough to teach her a good lesson...

I'm glad the kids are okay! Those babies are so precious!!! Must have! ;0)

Blessings to you in Christ, AC... You're the bomb, Boo! ILY! XOXOXO...

February 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Pauline

Who are 'they' to think they have any rights over children and country and to use this earthquake in all its' horrific dimensions for personal reasons.
    How totally selfish, and uncaring to show the USA in such a light.
    They should take step back, and see the negative effects of this bizarre situation.

February 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Sue Ferguson

I'm trying to not jump to conclusions without all the facts. Perhaps the younger ones in the group had no idea that they were doing anything illegal. It would seem that the leader certainly knew she was breaking laws. I hope this story doesn't overshadow the amazing people who are there with the best intentions.

February 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Leo

Just a sampling of the extent that someone would go through to make it in this existing economy.

February 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Felicia, Georgia

Unfortunately, I think that they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of Haitian law...especially since they knowingly broke the law. I know that many of the parents agreed and felt they couldn't take care of the children, but there are other ways they could've helped...such as with money, clothing, food, etc so the families could stay together...their intentions seem shady...

February 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  14. dee

Over 1000 Haitian criminals were set free due to the earthquake. Millions of Haitian people, especially children are homeless and starving. Thus, why is Haiti and the media feeding and spending all this time with these 10 Baptists from Idaho? I think they should be sent back to Idaho, revoke their passports and maybe assigned some community service. I am not saying what they did was right, but I do believe their intentions were not criminal.

February 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba

In a time when the US leads the huge humanitarian operation in Haiti, this type of case can not mess up.

February 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Rose Ann

Thank you for covering this story. Otherwise we'd all be assuming good Christians getting clobbered by the corrupt Haiti government and be letting it go at that. This story made me and continues to make me sick.

February 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Karen Chodoba

I am sure thousands of people would love to take these children! Why would you want to take them away from everything they know! How do they know if these children do not have living relatives but have not been found as of yet!

February 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  18. starr formerly known as vincent

@Amy

I agree with you, we Should Not make any assumptions yet, but the story sounds bad. At the very least suspicious/

Maybe "Laura" had some kind of "meltdown" given all of the stress she was under.

@Anderson, thank you so much for your continued reporting re: Haiti!! Please keep it going...as we all can see, there are many things still going one down there!

February 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Emily

That's awful! 212, 000 dead in Haiti? That is so sad. 🙁
    That is the first that I heard that. Wow, RIP. @>–

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Michelle Cummings

So sad... the Haitian people have been thru enough and to think these people are Americans.

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dan and Anderson,
    I agree with both of you, That is so sad!!!!! Laura Salisby will be charged, she won't pay a bills other places!!!! No kidding!!!!!

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Dodie, Irvine CA

212,000 died. Oh dear... how tragic...

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  23. James Johnson Jr

Put them AWAY. If its true Jail for you. If its life....Oh well!!

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Liliane

Haitian government never care for their children I grew up in Haiti . I worked with the premier Ministre they just doing that because they didn't get their share. They just getting attention. Please don't stand for the government.

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Lorissa

this story is so sad..the leader of the group Laura should be put away for life–lying to the parents and officials to steal these children is so appauling...Thank you CNN for following this story and keeping everyone informed. She will get what she deserves..Karma baby..Karma

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Fabiola Josaphat R.N.

I know that many people all over the world want to help us Haitians. But you can't just come to our country and STEAL our children. If you want to help you can donate to reputable charities. Or bring or send goods to a charity of your cvhoice. But a group of so called missionaries can't just come into a country and kidnap kids call that helping. Haiti may have problems, but there is still laws and everyone must respect them.

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Petra

this missionary/kidnapping story is so confusing and scary...
    and this story is one that is at the forefront for us to see and comment on... leaves one to wonder how many people with not so good intentions are doing the same thing and slipping by unnoticed...

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Salvatore

The saddest part of this entire story is that it is now taking much of the focus off of the tragic situation on the ground in Haiti. There are still many, many people who need help and are suffering. The media attention has been completely shifted to this angle of the Haiti situation, and it is unfortunate for the Haitian people who continue to suffer.

Viewers need to see more of how the humanitarian and rebuilding efforts are progressing. And, how all the money and resources raised around the world is being used in these efforts.

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  29. LisaL -Canada

are the other people in the missionary group in the same type of personal situation? just as these people were picking orphans, were these people picked by someone to go and do this?

February 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Vivian - Montreal

Hello Anderson, Ac360 crew and fellow bloggers!

February 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba

@Anderson

I just hope that this case doesn't distract attention from the press, while hundreds of thousands of Haitians homeless are still living in makeshift camps in unsanitary conditions after the earthquake that devastated the country

February 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  32. jackie johnson

I am from Idaho and my c hildren attend the private school where some of these people are children or family members are a part of this arrested group. I am embarassed and very angry about this entire group. They are oviously crazy and self involved and really did not have the best interest of the children of Haiti. This makes me angry for all of the wonderful parents who do really want to adopt the right way and now are going to be delayed because of thest stuped people!

February 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  33. garrett

It does seem illegal to take children out of the country without the government knowing. On the defense for these people, they were trying to help. There seems to be so meny children there that it is hard to conceptualize. I don't think the missionaries should be charged too hard. It is illegal but under the circumstances they couldn't be not found out because any government would have found that they were brought in during the earthquake and the government of those countries would have helped them. The danger here would have been if the childern were given to the wrong parents–abusive types, etc. I don't want to see them punished too harshly because they were trying to help. If I was a child in those circumstances I would want someone taking a proactive approach to help me, anything would be better then being on the streets in those areas–destitute. There is allot of people not doing well financially so don't hold that agaist the missionaries, they were trying to be successfull. I think the Haitian government should not come down on them too hard.

February 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Cessy-Chicago

" Personal shopper"...for kids? It appears to me that she is just thinking of herself. Sad thing is that she is a single mom, if convicted, what would happen to her child? She's clearly not thinking.

February 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Emily

Bryan Jack – "went there with good intentions" ....we all know where a path with those lead to!

February 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Julia D. Bien-Aime

Good evening Anderson Cooper,

Thank you for all that you have done in relation to Haiti and my people. I am alarmed that this church organization would remove children who has living relatives/parents and send them to another country. Most of these Haitian parents wants the best for their kids meanig an education, and a better living condition. It is not like they were not capable it was a matter of circumstances. I guess that I can't wrap my hands around a church based organization that lies in order to help the people of Haiti. Help save lives, pass out water, bring medical supplies.

February 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Toye, Woodbury MN

It'll be interesting to see how the Haitian government responds to negotiation from the U.S government in regards to the punishment for the kidnappers despite the swift action from our government and the generous donations from millions of Americans. However, it seems evident that these people knew of their wrong doing and should be punished accordingly by the Haitian government.

February 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. MICHEL

I'm originally from Haiti. Let them go with a warning. The Preval's administration can not even bury the dead properly. There is no structure in Haiti for any trial for these people.Let move on and try to help the people living in Haiti now.

February 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Jason

What would you exspect to happen if. Haitian people came to the USA and took kids ?

February 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Donavan

How can you not have money to pay bill but you have money to travel to haitian.

February 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  41. gretchen

What were these people planning on doing with these children?
    This story has taken on something that seems really "shady".

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Jerry

Sounds like she was going to sell kids to get out of debt.

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Claus

@BrianNYC,
    I agree with you. I think Laura was desperate and made a lot of bad mistakes. I think other members of the team may have been naive.

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Starr

It just is so unsettling to me to hear that she is having money problems and as Anderson stated... trolling around Haiti looking for children..... Under the christian guise! this is looking much worse that I originally thought!

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Tom

It seems that people who have God on their side think they can do whatever they want! Done the crime do the time. But we all know there is no chance of America letting that happen.

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  46. marie

These people were not doing this for any reason but to help the children. How sad that their zeal to take care of these poor people turned out to be a mistake. It is a shame that their life is damaged this way. Let them go home to their families.

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Dixie

It is sad that the story about the 10 Americans is taking the focus off all of the orphaned children in Haiti and the legal adoptions done every year in Haiti. 212,000 people have died and over 300,000 are injured. Because of this group's stupidity, legal adoptions from Haiti have been put on hold indefinitely!

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Emily

Personal Shopper...OMG!

This Laura S. sounds ......hmmm...

and she IS a mother???!!!

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Donavan

I agree with you Juana this is a clear case of kidnapping and they deserve what they get.

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  50. rafael wooten

It senses to me that she what to be a hero and get profits for helping these children.

February 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |