February 1st, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/01/10

Tonight on 360°, saving Haiti's children or breaking the law? 10 American accused of child trafficking. We have the latest. Plus, slash and spend. Pres. Obama outlines his $3.8 trillion dollar budget for 2011. We've got the raw politics.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. LisaL -Canada

yes yes yes - re-establish the agricultural sector – food, jobs, groundcover before it rains - but with the focus still on getting basic water and food organized and streamlined, is anyone actually thinking that far ahead??

February 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

This is disrespect for goverment who dumps over mass graves!!!!! I am so disappointed with them! 😦

February 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  3. starr formerly known as vincent

Thank God the people in the mass graves got a religious ceremony and a proper burial.

Given how Catholic the nation is, and how spiritual the people the nation is, it is a relief that they were buried with respect!

Sounds like the present gov. in Haiti is useless. Excellent report!

February 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  4. lise

How stupid can you get?
    Of course you cannot take children from one country to another without papers. How many times have parents, in poor countries, been fooled by folks that would take care of their children and instead the children end up in brothels or similar circumstances.
    The americans now being held in prison in Haiti should stay in prison for a long long time.

February 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Emily

You are absolutely correct, however with the advent of the middle class, now comes dreams and with that inventions. Before they were just in a survival mode; hence, no time to dream.

I travel there several times a year for many years. What a change they have made in the past 10 years!

February 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Natasha

Anderson, you should be proud. Your story about the mass graves actually made a difference and sparked action. I am so happy to see the ppl getting a chance to mourn and give their loved ones a proper burial. I hope you are having a nice rest and decompressing.

February 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Emily

Great reporting here by Joe Johns!
    Glad to see that some of the dead are being honored!

February 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ starr formerly known as vincent

You are so cute 🙂 Always look to the past for solutions! Especially in times like these!

We build the Hoover Dam, Highways across the nation, and many other infrastructures. We are still using them today.

February 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Enock fedna

I'm so proud of you and your team for the work we have done in Haiti and the support we are given to my population. MR COOPER I can wait to come down there to shake your hands and your co workers for what we did we are trying very hard to help my people. I wish I could found the right English word to express to you guys.May God protect you all for the time we are going to pass over there.God bless
    Enock Fedna
    Boca Raton Fl
    F

February 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh wow!!!!!! That's so funny both caption on beat360!!!! I love caption says that orbit!!!!! Nice! Congrats Talitha! 🙂

February 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Emily

@Dodie,
    I agree with you...China has been a "quite raising power"!

Off hand, I can't think of anything that they have invented!
    They have done very well as reproducing things at a cheaper price than other countries!
    As you said, they have established their middle class.

February 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  12. charlie

Toyota: Too little too late? I hope they have taken the time it neeeds to get the right solution. Westerm "spin" culture and media impatience has a lot to answer for in politics and business. Correct analysis takes time but half the time the people who should be working on solutions are busy feeding the media machine.

February 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Dodie, Irvine CA

How very Sad!!!

They need to be careful about disease!

February 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  14. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Dodie , CA

I read your post on the depression and the government hiring in the great depression.

You are, of course, correct.

February 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Keith

My gosh! What a stupid people! Do really all American think that with their passport they are entitled to go to any place break the law and to behave at their leisure?

I wonder if anybody would have attempted to do the same from Seattle into Vancouver

February 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Dodie, Irvine CA

David Gergen's comments are always excellent.

February 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

This budget discussion with David Gergen and David Walker seems daunting. How did Pres Clinton manage to come up with a surplus so that we were "gasping" at possible 500B deficits a couple of years ago.

Hi Brooke Baldwin. How does the fix for the stuck accelerators work?

Yeah, looks like Lady Gaga is being orbitted by planets and moons.

February 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

America's parallels with the fall of the Roman Empire are scary. No control of boarders, the economy in shambles, greatness like moon landings in the past, and barbarians (terrorists) at the gates.

February 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Emily

History is very important. It was never presented that way in school here in the US, but I really believe we could learn a lot.

There is an old saying...

The Past is the best predictor of the future

February 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Joe

Good intentions gone wrong – these folks really have no business trying to transport these kids out of Haiti for adoption in America without following some authorized process. Otherwise, what would prevent any church group or cult from doing the same?

February 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Danie T.
    Thanks for you comment, I am grateful what I have read your beautiful comment!

February 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Emily

@Megan,
    I agree with you.
    David Gergen always makes great points!

February 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Paul

The haitian government need to step aside and watch how good gov. functions and cares about its people. Thank

February 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Karen

I like Wolf and all, but right now I'm having this weird alternate reality thing going on seeing the BEAT 360 with "alternate" people. (I miss Erica.)

February 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Emily

Yay! The Beat360!

Congrats Talitha!
    Very funny! 🙂

February 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Dodie, Irvine CA

I wonder if the 'sticky pedal' will create problems with the Toyota label?

February 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Emily

@Dodie,

Strange how some never learn!
    It all seems very disorganized there at times.

They should be learning from the past.....

February 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  28. marie

i m so thankfull that the victimes of the haiti got a proper burial .thanks AC

February 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with David Gergen's comment..... it is very interesting to hear what we have save our money as budget! 🙂

February 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Dan

Solve the budget crises with these steps:
    Sell Irag's oil to repay US for defending them
    Reduce war spending in Irag and Afghanistan and get out
    Reduce foreign aid – has always been out of control and funds should be first used in our country

February 1, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Emily

China is a rising power. It still has a long way to go, but they have now established a well educated middle class. That is the first step!

February 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Karen

Charlie, I sometimes think we just have to give up getting healthcare period. I guess maybe the republicans have that right. Just let the poor and old who can't afford care just go. Sounds harsh but at this point, nothing seems like it will work.

February 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Danie T.

Anderson,

I am counting on you to bring us the truth like always about that possible child trafficking case... it's just horrible I hope it's just a bad case of ignorance but no matter what it's just wrong...

February 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Dodie, Irvine CA

Oh yes, how scary... driving and your peddle goes to the metal on its own. Yikes! that is enough to give anyone a heart attack...

February 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

We (Americans) have helped all over the world for years! Maybe it's time that the world helps us!

David Gergen is right about no "political will" to reduce the debt!

This discussion is dismal at best. Hopefully, we the people outside the beltway Will be told the Truth!

February 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Danie T.

I am happy we still have some news coverage but AC360's just not the same without AC and crew. I hope he's not sick or anything like that but just getting a break well deserved – poor baby has to be pooped out after those three weeks in Haiti. Thank you for a job well done AC, Dr. Gupta and the others... I miss you Anderson come back on the air soon! Love you all guys!

February 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Karen

James, I sincerely apologize for this group of people. It really sounds, well, arrogant and it's a grave stain on the name of the U.S. and U.S. aid workers.

February 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Emily

Right on target again! 🙂 Yes, jobs is the first step. Unfortunately, it usually never comes first. In the late 1930s, that is finally what the government did... hire people until business got back on its feet!

February 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. charlie

Deficits: As a Euroean the big items are easy:
    Stop fighting wars so you don'tpend so much.
    Control the banks so that they don't exacerbate the normal business cycle.
    Change your health case system so you don't spend twice as much as "normal" developed nations.

February 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Karen

So, please ask David Walker, what SHOULD a budget look like? I guess I just can't figure out what you can do? Honestly, it doesn't sound like just raising taxes will do it. So, that leaves cutting SS and medicare. Does that just have to be done?

February 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

"Our return to the moon has been killed. The next people on the moon will be Chinese."

It looks like China is going to over take Japan as having the second largest Economy in the world after this problem Japan has had with Toyota!

February 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

Raise taxes. We have to do it. Why the wait?

February 1, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Tracy

With regards to the 10 Americans arrested, I would like to know the following:
    1. Are any of these folks medically trained? They apparently went to Haiti with the intention to provide treatment.
    2. Are any of these folks trained in disaster recovery and/or have experience in this type of situation? If so, what and where did they receive training and experience?
    3. Do any of them speak French? If so, how did the misunderstanding of "orphan" come to be when a father confirmed that he willingly gave his children to this group of folks. However, the group claims that they believed these were orphans.

Just a few questions from tonight's episode....thank you.

February 1, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Dodie, Irvine CA

After the depression, the government became large in order to employee people, then cut back as business started hiring! It seemed to help us out of the depression in the 1930s... why not now?

February 1, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Claus

With so many people not having jobs and others being financially stretched, our charities need the money of the wealthy more than ever. Not a great time to limit their deductions.

February 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. James

If I go today to the poorest neighborhood in the U.S.and I meet with a few families that are willing to give up their kids because of poverty, I then get a school bus, load 2 dozen minors onto that bus and attempt to leave the country with them, I wonder what would happen to me? First of all, an amber alert would probably be issued for a few of them. I would then probably be arrested with kidnapping, trafficking, illegal possession of a minor... In conclusion I would be in jail for the next few years and I would have to register as a child predator. Shouldn't the same rules apply in other countries even if it is poor? We Haitians are poor but we are not cattle! What arrogance on the part of these Americans! As far as I am concerned, they should go to jail like everybody else. We are hungry and we need help. If you decide to give us help, show some respect or don't give it all.

February 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

Tipping point?

February 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  48. starr formerly known as vincent

I think it is good to charge the Banks who will not voluntarily give business loans to pay a charge to these businesses can borrow to survive.

Also, many farms (Large industrial farms), get large subsidies.

February 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  49. David, Indiana

It's not ignorant, it's a flagrant violation of law and suspicious at best.

February 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Emily

@Dodie,
    I think that you are correct, about boosting small business'.

I don't think that the national debt can be brought down significantly until the majority of Americans are back at work!
    There needs to be Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!!!

February 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |