January 27th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/27/10

President Obama delivers his first State of the Union (SOTU) Address tonight. It is the 221st annual presidential message in the nation’s history. His chief political adviser says the president will focus on job creation, the economy and fiscal responsibility. The live blog will stay up during Obama's address and throughout our coverage until 12 a.m.

Scroll down to join the live chat during the program. It's your chance to share your thoughts on tonight's address, the GOP response and the reaction from our analysts. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cali

I made the easy choice to donate to the people of Haiti not because I am an American, but simply because I am human and I care. I only wish that I could do more.

January 27, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  2. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

I know there was some mention of using the federal employee health ins. plan as a model, however, i have no idea of what happend to that idea.

At this point, it would seem, that the House bill and the Senate bill are so far apart that mediation to a bill that would be accepted by either chamber is doubtful.

And, most Americans do not know what is in the two bills.

January 27, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  3. Karen

OK Independents make me crazy. I do not understand how the President can "assure" bipartisanship, especially in the face of an actual party strategy of "no". I mean, it's such an easy strategy. You don't have to think or work or do anything. He is not a dictator, he's a president. Is it not incumbent upon the members of Congress to do their part. The President can only do so much and I think monthly meetings are great. What more do these independents want?

January 27, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  4. Kathy - Illinois

I felt that we got to see a president who gets it and isn't giving up on anything, taking responsibility for things that haven't gone right, and calling for everyone to work together. Now is the time to put words into action. I stood with him in Grant Park 11/4/2008. I stand with him now. We all need to stand together as Americans. Everyone needs to give and not just take. Modest steps are certainly more than what has been seen on the right. Everyone needs to put forth the best interest of the country and not themselves.

January 27, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  5. Jeanne Brown

What speech were some of these people listening to? How can you say that the President was stepping away from healthcare? He said that we must pass this... that we cannot walk away. That HE will NOT walk away! How much clearer can he be?

January 27, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  6. Althea

Hi, how do we find out about the orphan children of Haiti. I would lke informantion. I would like to adopt a girl of middle school age. Thank You.

January 27, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  7. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

President Obama talked a good bipartisan line during the campaign, but then turned over all leadership on legislation to the most partisan people in DC, Pelosi and Reid. If he really wants bipartisanship he needs to reign in his own party.

January 27, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  8. Christine Morgan, Portmore, St Catherine, Jamaica

Hi Anderson
    I noticed you are still reporting from Haiti. I am curious to know what is happening to Monley. How is he doing?

January 27, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

@Starr, isn't expanding fed employee health ins plan central part of the plan

This speechs is indeed a reset to the econ and jobs. But President noted to congress they've accomplished so much and are very close on getting something done.

The President did mention the rescuers and volunteers in Haiti, but given the loss of life, suffering and devastation there, he should've offered much more in the way of encouragement and committment. He has two former Presidents helping him with this.

The President is not backing away from Health Care.

January 27, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  10. starr formerly known as vincent

@Megan Dresslar-WA

Your right, i almost forgot about the shouts of usa, usa in Haiti.

When was the last time you heard usa chanted in a positive way?

January 27, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  11. Jennifer - AZ

i've said this before, but I just have to thank CNN again for the great job you are doing covering Haiti. It is because you are bringing us such personal, creative, intelligent, and INVOLVED reporting that we can get some sense of how much they need help. Letting us in on the "background", like the Haitian people singing to comfort each other, really has helped create a sense of connection with them and empathy for them.

January 27, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  12. Rumi Pavlova

OK, I did like his Public Speaking skills – it was a great speech, but let's get real – was that all politics or how is he really thinking to achieve all he promises.... In regards to education – i can't wait to see if there is something for recently graduated students that were forced to get lower paid jobs and owe thousands of dollars in federal student loans.... how are we paying them back.... not to mention some of us have children too ...how do we feed them and not default on the loans.... talking about set backs....

January 27, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  13. LisaL - Canada

what percentage of the people of Haiti do you think were able to watch the speech? what President Obama DOES for Haiti will speak much louder than what was said tonight

January 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dr. Sanjay Gutpa and Anderson have good point there the Haiti people chatted "usa" "usa" "usa" for our america rescue & search, doctors, nurses are there willing help many victims on the clock as 24 hours! 🙂 Pres. Obama talked about that, too.

January 27, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  15. starr formerly known as vincent

It was my impression that Pres. Obama has no intention of backing off health ins. reform. My impression is he will find one way or another to get a realistic bill!

I also agree with David Gergen, that the Pres. needs to take more control of the health ins. issue. Candy Crowley makes an excellent point too re: Republicans' interest in health ins. reform.

January 27, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  16. maryann johnston

why is it that a president who speaks to americans like intelligent adults can't be heard over the noise of bs partisan politics..try news and less commentaryi

January 27, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  17. stella

I liked what Obama had to say, but I don't yet see results. His ideas to stimulate the economy and higher education seem good, but my family members still are unemployed. I have just received notice at work that more layoffs will be necessary. I have many coworkers who also have members of their family unemployed. Are these new ideas, tax increases, tax breaks for some really going to work? I hope so and at least I see he is trying to help, I just don't see the results.

January 27, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  18. kim-chicago

My favorite part of this speech was when he directly took on the Supreme Court...they already delivered George Bush...I didn't know they were in the business of controlling the outcome of elections. Thank you for expressing what so many of us felt.

January 27, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  19. Sue

If the Republicans spent as much time working with the President as they spend working against him and trying to campaign all year long...we might actually see a light at the end of the tunnel....oh yeah..maybe pigs will fly soon....I also agree that we the people should have the same insurance advantages as our elected officials have...politicians God forbid that they make any sacrifices in their personal lives for a people who live in the real world.

January 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  20. Vince

The speech reminded people that American lives on in the spirit of its people and that spirit goes way beyond the democrats, republicans, independants and even the President. America lives on when its people put their differences aside and work together. This is what has caused it to be the greatest nation on earth.

January 27, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  21. Mel

The President is a brilliant man, superb speaker and a true leader. I am a 20 + year Republican leaning toward becoming an independent. If the elected officials local, state and national could remember they were elected by the people for the people then our nation would move forward.

It is hypocritical to blame the President & congress for the overspending by Americans. He never claimed he would fix it in a year. Tell me who could? The problem in the economy did not occur overnight. The President deserves a chance to fix the problem. The Senate and the congress need to work as a team to pass law, stimulus funds and support leadership rather than act as a divided group of spoiled brats. Great job, Mr. President. We are praying for you.

January 27, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  22. Anne Brown

ps It was a great speech and he is a great president!!!

January 27, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  23. Amalia

As an independent registered voter, and a Cuban American, this was the BEST speech ever by a US President since I came here in 1961, age 10! I have never been more proud to be an American than I was tonight hearing the convictions, brilliance and strength of moral character of our President. He has had my vote, he has my full support and in fact, I'm more committed than ever to work towards the goals he outlined, which transcend all the partisan politics in this great country.

January 27, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  24. Su from Fort Lee, NJ

I must have been dozing off when Obama mentioned the REVENUE source to balance the budget.

Did he say no further tax cuts for those individuals making $250,000 or above OR did he say tax increases for that demographic?

If so, how many people fall into that category and what percent tax increase would have to be imposed to raise enough money to balance the trillions in deficit? 50% or higher???

January 27, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  25. Susan, Vancouver

Wow – President Obama knows how to talk to people!! It amazes me that some of your contributors think they or their party could do so much better.

Your President is an amazing orator and, in my opinion, a real leader!

January 27, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  26. Lisa P.

Great job Mr. President......
    Bring back American Jobs!
    Michelle looked radiant !!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  27. Karen

I noticed McDonnell had to quote Scott Brown as though he were a wise revered old republican. Man, they are digging for their stars. I don't think Brown would pass their litmus. He has an awful lot of liberal ideas on social issues that the republicans will be choking over if he gets asked about those. But oh right now he is oh so quotable. Too funny.

January 27, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  28. Latasha Hoard

Well what is he going to do about the student financial aid for those who wish to pursue a college education who also come from diaadvantaged homes and families who live right by the poverty line.

January 27, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  29. LaTanya

True. Health care is a very real possibility in America, but our congressional leaders are getting more money from the insurance companies to say no than they are from the American ppl to say yes! Money talks. Haven't you noticed that when we actually try to do something to help all Americans, it is considered to be taboo; yet, when we do something like say Wall Street bailouts that are bad for the nation we love it and say a resounding yes. Don't you love American politics. For the good of the people... not really!

January 27, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  30. Cathy Wherry

I fully expected a typical political speech – however, what I listened to was a president stating issues, then giving detailed ways in which he thought they should be handled. On the other hand, the Republican response was a canned response- almost like he didn't even listen to the actual speech. And, as usual, the Republicans want to go back to how things were during the Bush "8-Year-Crumble". I think the republicans should keep looking for their "Star" before trying to win the presidency 3 years ahead of time.

January 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  31. Larry

Yep, as far as speeches go he can deliver as good as any in the past 70-75 years. Fortunately, I don't vote for speeches and I have the right to vote for whomever I choose.

January 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

Yes some questions about student loan.

Roland's right President did offer some examples of business who have expaded employment.

Green economy jobs are encouraged by govt incentives, but energy efficiency is useful, saves money, keeps your house warm, or cool.

January 27, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  33. mac

well said Justine, the republicans should be put there egos aside and start doing what's best for the american people.

January 27, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  34. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

@LaTanya...You could always become a democrat if you like what you heard tonight...

January 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  35. Lisa P.

The President had a great speech. I look forward to all parties working together to help all Americans. Too many jobs are leaving this country, going overseas including call centers. I`m sure Americans can answer a phone! Pray for our President! This job isn`t easy......These problems were`nt created overnight.

January 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  36. Paula, Colorado

Excellent speech by Pres. Obama–fascinating analysis, as usual–though missing Anderson.

January 27, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  37. Jennifer - AZ

Free market, schpree market. Free market alone clearly does not work or regulate itself or we would not be in this economic mess. There should be some middle road, and I think government created jobs are a good and quick start to fixing our unemployment problems.

And welcome to Eric!

January 27, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

It is touched my heart, pres. Obama is taking care our healthcare, medicard and insurance to help. American people couldn't afford these all things like Healthcare, Medicard & Insurance. I also agree with pres. Obama.

January 27, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  39. Shelia

I thought that OUR President was the first to actually talk to WE THE PEOPLE. Both side Dem and Rep are in it for what they can get and some are just to old to except change- that is why it is so hard to achive. He is only one man until WE THE PEOPLE stand behind him, it seems to me that far to many Americans fall for the trash they are feed from people in the media who only know half of what they say. I am so tired of hearing about Health coverage listen why not just give us all the same health insurance that each Gov offical has? They seem to like it and it is government run. Are they all willing to give up theirs for what they are offering all other Americans? Well that is enough for me –I just wanted to say Our Pres was great and the Reps just enforced what he said with their sideshow.

January 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  40. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

I like the Republicans' suggestions to sell ins. acroos state lines. I also liked Olympia Snow's "trigger" option, that is to say, if the ins. industry does not set reasonable health care premiums, the public option would kick in.

I know little about the federal employee health care plan and if it could be successfully applied to the entire country.

I sincerely want health care ins. reform and really hope that the Dem's and Rep's can get to a point where they respect each other enough and care about the people who voted for them, to put together a realistic bill that will work.

January 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  41. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Paul Begala is always so self effacing,It's refreshing!

January 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  42. LisaL - Canada

the speech should make people think of the bigger picture

January 27, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  43. LaTanya

After seeing the rebuttal, I realize that at times like this I am ashamed to be a Republican. Why do we always tear up speeches and solutions to huge problems that the average American faces, but instead of actually providing solutions we throw mud and say it's all lies. I want a Republican party that is enthusiastic and most importantly tells the truth no matter the consequences to self, that influence most politicans decisions. We (the American people) should use scare tactics as well to get congress, government, and other huge factors (insurance companies & banks) to do what is best for America and not themselves. Wonder how that would work. They are so busy working to make a buck and keep their high paying jobs that they forget why we put them there, and that is to speak for us on the issues we care about.

January 27, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  44. Karen

Unfortunately, I"m sure the republicans will go right back to their method of governing tomorrow. I mean, they are even filtering people who want to run in their own party with a litmus test of purity. However, the speech definitely made me proud he is our President.

January 27, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  45. Jennifer - AZ

Evening everyone

As a viewer, I was dreading the thought that Obama was going to get up there and go on about health care. I was pleasantly surprised such little emphasis was placed on it. I support health care reform and think we should keep working on it, but I need a break from hearing about it. I think if he had started out with healthcare, I would have tended to tune him out.

January 27, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  46. Larry

He has only been president for a year; give him another 3 or 4 to get comfortable with the job

January 27, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  47. mac

it find it interesting how so many other countries(including i think all developed countries) are able to offer their citizens free health care and yet the USA is having so much trouble just passing this health care bill.

January 27, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Jane and Lori!
    See you tomorrow night! HUGS! 🙂

January 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love CNN team and analyst political team panel whole in studio. They are so amazing people's comment about pres. Obama speech! 🙂

January 27, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  50. Vince

I applaud the monthly meetings of the President with both Republicans and Democrats. Hopefully, this will foster some by-partisanship in the best interests of the American people.

January 27, 2010 at 11:04 pm |