January 27th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/27/10

President Obama delivers his first State of the Union (SOTU) Address tonight. It is the 221st annual presidential message in the nation’s history. His chief political adviser says the president will focus on job creation, the economy and fiscal responsibility. The live blog will stay up during Obama's address and throughout our coverage until 12 a.m.

Scroll down to join the live chat during the program. It's your chance to share your thoughts on tonight's address, the GOP response and the reaction from our analysts. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jane - Vt

Great comments all. Good night.

January 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

@Starr thank you, yes that does help me, that's much of what is at the center of healthcare reform. I am thinking mainly of how opening up the federal employee health ins program would open up competition for the health ins industry.

@Isabel, good to see you, missed you last night, hope everything all right?

From that moment that Jessica Yellin showed, republican dial went down but then came up an intertwined with independents. How did repub and dem lines compare in other parts other than the very first moment of mentioning health care?

I thought the President explicitly said that 2m jobs were saved.

Good pt about scolding dems to acknowledge they are a majority by Gloria Borger.

January 27, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's so surprising our president Obama talked about in Haiti tonight. He said that there will be rebuilding everything in Haiti! I agree with him!

January 27, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  4. starr formerly known as vincent

@Casey-Palm Spring CA

I take your point and you are right. I did not mean to imply it was only Republicans that were "out of touch".

I do, however feel that the Pres. may be in touch with the people. As someone already mentioned, this is the most leadership we have seen from him in a long time.

I truly hope he is serious about his intentions to work With Republicans and have Dem's clean house too. Only time will tell.

January 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  5. Vivian - Montreal

@Lauren

Amen to that!

January 27, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Shannon

As a Virginian, I am quite incensed that our new governor would shamelessly exploit the grandeur of the floor of our State Assembly to add visual heft to his partisan response, as if his opinions speak for all Virginians.

January 27, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  7. LaTanya

Obama's address was great. I was really moved and feel that after the verbal attack he gave congress and government maybe we will see something different this year. However, I think it should be pointed out that it is not the President who makes the decisions or writes the laws, but the people we put in Congress... They chose not to listen to us, not Obama. He has heard what the people had to say from the beginning; that's why we voted for him! I think he will come through on some of his campaign promises, but it delusional of us to think he would get them all. That would be a true miracle... lol!

January 27, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  8. mac

playing the blame game don't help anyone, it import for the president get down to business and fix the prelims, thankfully obama unlike many other politicians understand this.

January 27, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Interesting that when Obama mentions health insurance reform both Independents and Republicans dropped on the graph. Same signal as the election of Brown was sending.

January 27, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike..."until they read him his Miranda rights, then he clammed up. "

How did you learn that? I hadn't heard that.

January 27, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Which scripture is that?

January 27, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Vivian - Montreal

I can't wait for the news from Haiti...I want to see the story of the girl pulled out of the rubble today. AC + team do a great job covering all the stories from there.

January 27, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Jessica Y, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Wednesday night!!! sorry to be late night! 🙂

Hello Eliza
    I agree our pres. Obama..... it is good speech tonight! I think it sorks for me to take tax cuts about 95% this time, And I never quit anymore what he had to say now.

January 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Starr, but I'm not just making the reference to the Republicans. It's just infuriating to me that they all stand there (during both speeches) consistently interrupting the speeches with applause–it's just disgusting and embarrassing, frankly. With few exceptions, none of them deserve applause for anything. When are any of them going to sacrifice the way that so many of us are during this economic turmoil? They don't have a clue. GRRRRRR......

January 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Justine

I listened President Barack Obama State of the Union address, and must commend him on doing an excellent job for the first year of his term. The republicans had the audacity to not give him acknowledgement because he won't bend to their every need. Thank GOD for that. He's too intelligent to be a yes man for them.
    The way I see it, it is the republicans who want to keep America in the dark. Basically, they believe it is either their way or no way. Obviously the old way didn't work. Look at what we just come out of. They act like it was his fault that this country was in a recession.
    As he stated, he walked into that mess. Another thing, everything that President Obama tried to push through, the republicans rejected it because they didn't agree. Now if the script was flipped (shoe on the other foot) , they would push whatever bill there is to be approved regardless if the democrats objected.
    Praise GOD for a man that is not afraid to say the way things are going. The replubicans would have kept everything under the rug.

January 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Lori

Thank you for the coverage tonight. I appreciate it.

I really miss Anderson. Stay safe Anderson.

Good night. Sweet dreams.

January 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  17. starr formerly known as vincent

@Mike & Vivian

Thank you for putting the Gov's remark in context for me.

January 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Kimberly, IL

@Robyn Rolon

I have experienced the same thing– my donations have not been taken out yet either and I have heard other similar cases. Maybe there is an explanation or something I don't understand, so I would love to know how that all works. I ask CNN to investigate as well and report back to us! Thanks to everyone who has donated their time and money and thanks to Anderson for the great coverage from Haiti. Please be safe!

Am I the only one who almost teared up when the little boy sent the President his allowance to send to Haiti? That should give us all hope for the future!

January 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@sue, Democrats have offered a response too. This has been going on for years with both parties.

January 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Lauren

I hope that Obama can turn the tide back his way. I think he will be a one of the greats when it is all said and done. He is a God fearing man and God protects the Anointed.

January 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Vivian - Montreal

@starr formerly known as vincent

I think he meant that when they get caught that they should be jailed - not defended by lawyers-go threw the court system wasting taxpayers money.

January 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

@ Jerry good pt about asking both parties to work together, calling for that, he also tried to infuse into congress that spirit of decency resilience and good will that he mentioned at the beginning of the speech.

A more upbeat response from the opposing party than usual and that's not just a result of it being in front of an audience.

January 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@starr formerly known as vincent. He was referring to the Christmas bomber who was talking to the FBI and giving good intelligence until they read him his Miranda rights, then he clammed up. A huge mistake to treat them as criminals and not combatants.

January 27, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  24. starr formerly known as vincent

@Casey-Palm Springs CA

Your comment is very well stated and would seem to be true based on past behaviors and the response from the VA Gov. surounded by his supporters.

January 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Sue

Why do the Republicans have an after speech....this is the bs that keeps our country so divided! Is this how they work with our current President...? This is just ridiculous to me...how about you? Our President comes on national TV to try to give the people some encouragement and the Republicans turn around and want to tear it all apart...this is why Washington will never have the trust that we the people so desperately need.

January 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  26. andrew Carter

Mr, Mcdonald speaks on rederick but he is say the same thing that Bobby Gendle said 6 months ago and every other Republican says every time they speak. He obviously did not listen to a word that the president said if he had he would have known that there is truley no rebutle to any point the Mr. Obama has made. I for one am sick and tired of the no to every position that the Dems talk about except escalation of the War in Afghanistan, at this time we need unity and based on the lack of cander of the Republicans had during the Presidents State of the Union Speech they still have no intentions of working together at any cost. We are lost as a Nation they want the same ole same ole rich get richer.

January 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Lori

Hi everyone.

January 27, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm fed-up with these canned speeches created for the pleasure of the legislative self-adoration society. With few exceptions, ALL of these representatives are so completely out of touch with American voters at all levels that it's just disgusting.

January 27, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Robyn Rolon

My husband and I (each) donated money to the victims of Haiti (via UNICEF) through the first plea on Larry King's show almost 2 weeks ago. What is upsetting is that to date, our donations have yet to be transferred from our accounts. While the current plea for help is for the public to donate money, it should be looked into as to why the money that the public is donating, is not being transferred. I implore CNN to investigate why UNICEF has not transferred the money. I cannot imagine that we are the only ones that have not had our donation processed. Please help us help them. Thanks.

January 27, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Archie

Are the republican for the people or for themselves which.

January 27, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

Gov. Bob McDonnell remarked that he (or someone) believes that we should "defeat" terrorits not "protect" them. What does that mean?

Now he's quoting scripture.....?

The Gov. is not as inspiring as the President and does not seem to be saying much different, except for abortion and no regulations on Wall St.

January 27, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Katrina

I grew up outside DC in Betheda/Rockville Md area. Know lots of people who work in all branches of Fed Govt. I used to work for the Fed Gov't myself. I am of the opinion it does not matter who is in Office a Demo or a Repub, there all crooked. Most of the DC insiders are like the people who crept into the State Dinner. You just need be objective and hold everything that is said and done up to the light, nothing is Gospel. Most of the stuff is just not real. Like I heard one time politics is are like hollywood actors, only ugly, now that is a statement I can agree with.

January 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Suzi

Proud 2 be American!

January 27, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Greg

The minority parties response to the State of the Union are always painful, but what's with this new forum of a "mini state of the union". What's with the partisan crowd? Do we really have to watch two of these?

January 27, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Archie

I my say have good insurance also everyone in congress so why do they think the poor don"t need any.I do not agree total with the govenor taking over but someone have to help.

January 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Rita A Banda

The President did a Great speech. Washington needs to stand for us Americans. Stop saying "NO" I believe that President Obama has allot of passion for the USA to be strong in spite of every thing. I pray the God will give President Obama the strength to move on and be there for us.
    He belongs to us the American People.

January 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Jane - Vt

This govenor must be the republicans pick for 2012. Sorry Sarah Palin. And I'll bet the VP will be Scott Brown.

January 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Kimberly, IL

I agree that universities need to clean up their budget, but we also must realize that the universities along aren't to blame. The university I attend now has four forced furlough days this semester for each faculty member-> due to the state of Illinois not paying the university all of the money in which it is owed!! Now I am paying a ton of money for an education and I want to be taught to full capacity- sorry but I don't want "days off" from school! I want my education. Our state and national government need to figure this financial mess out!

January 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Suzi

So proud of our Pres. He really does make you want to be an American like him. My pride in my country men and woman fills my heart.

January 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  40. starr formerly known as vincent

David, Indiana

I believe the president said he was not giving up on health care ins. reform. I believe he once again reviewed the unacceptable practices of ins. cos. re: pre-existing conditions, caps on treatment, etc. He reiterated how Drs Nurses agree that reform is necessary and how All Americans deserve the right to good affordable medical care.

I hope that helps answer some of what you asked.

January 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Arine Ward

Maybe now that the GOP see that he (President Obama) isnt wililng to share this responsibility alone...he made it perfectly clear, all the sound bites, to get the American people off course, only brings us to a place of distrust of them...Powerful night...Awesome on the "Executive Order" he is going to sign!

January 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Katenna Renney

"We are strong, We are resilient, We are America!" TY Mr. President for reminding us that we can come together for a common cause. "America!"

January 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Joyce

Why are we citizens allowing our country to be held captive by the mean-spirited naysayers? We have hope and we have voices. This powerful speech reinforces what we have always known: we cannot allow the hopes of our citizens to be buried under the weight of partisanship.

January 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Jane - Vt

I think he means the best for America. All he's gotten is NO, NO, NO, and he's been called names and had terrible things said about him.

I hope and pray that all this hate and negative things the republicans are about backfires in their faces this fall. They have been on a mission to see that President Obama fails, they don't care about us at all. They only care about themselves.

January 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Arine Ward

Greetings AC, Staff, and Bloggers!!!
    What an awesome "Excellent" State of the Union. President Obama, did exactly what needed to be done on all issues. I'm so proud to be an American!

January 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Joyce

Why are we citizens allowing our country to be held captive by the mean-spirited naysayers? We are have hope and we have voices. This powerful speech reinforces what we have always known: we cannot allow the hopes of our citizens to be buried under the weight of partisanship.

January 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Olritch

Great speech! But GOP is still not listening. They left the chamber right after and that tells you that they will still act boys and play politics.

January 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  48. April

What about education? In NC, we WERE held accountable and promised bonuses for making high growth. Guess what? Due to budget cuts, we met our growth but SORRY not enough money to pay you.

January 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Alice

President Obama's speech confirms my belief that I made the right decision in voting him as the POTUS.

January 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

@Mike formerly of Syracuse Re jobs, The President was saying 2m jobs were saved, and that job losses would've been twice as many without the financial resuce and I think the the stimulus.

I was glad to hear the President mention that congress has to stay firm about the responsibility to govern in the face of election fever and to hear him mention how health care reform opens up competition in some ways, wish I'd caught more of that, did anyone note exactly what he said on this pt?

January 27, 2010 at 10:29 pm |