January 27th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/27/10

President Obama delivers his first State of the Union (SOTU) Address tonight. It is the 221st annual presidential message in the nation’s history. His chief political adviser says the president will focus on job creation, the economy and fiscal responsibility. The live blog will stay up during Obama's address and throughout our coverage until 12 a.m.

Scroll down to join the live chat during the program. It's your chance to share your thoughts on tonight's address, the GOP response and the reaction from our analysts. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Melanie Shafer

ShaferState of the Union is on point.In love with our extroardinary humble empathetic Pres Obama.Hope I get grandfathered on student loan agenda LOL.USA finally has a honest politician that works for "the people" that work everyday.Huge agenda but our prayers can push it through.Please pray 4 our country, President&people that wait for these reforms 2 take place especially the sick & families who need healthcare.GO OBAMA

January 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Natasha W

Great speech. It was inspiring and smart. Well thought out and written. I think he covered all the very important issues thoroughly and was strong in his stance. If Pres. Obama can really push his agenda through our Congress and convince the people, the USA will be on its way to really leading the world to a brighter, more efficient future. Bravo!

January 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Great speech! I still believe ,with all of my heart ,that he wants what is best for all of us!

January 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  4. matt.b san bernardino,ca

BRILLIANT................! President Obama is a Great man who tells us the " HARD TRUTH " .......! God be with him ...!

January 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Jerry

He put the Republicans and Democrats on notice that they have to work together and grandstanding is not acceptable. It will be interesting to see how the Republicans and his own leadership choose to play this out.

January 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Vince

I dare those Republican politicians to step up to the challenge of president Obama, and publish those earmark projects that they vote for. In these way we would see if they are willing to make the cuts that are necessary to balance the budget.

January 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I didn't think this speech recognized the fact that America has turned from his agenda in a big way.

January 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Sheryl L Rodriguez

Another nice round of applause.
    It is time for change and change takes time.
    Good Evening, all! : )

January 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Jane - Vt

It will be interesting to see if the republicans take up the "work together" sentiment.

January 27, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Jane - Vt

Hello everyone. Pretty good speech I think.

January 27, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  11. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi everyone! I had no idea the blog was open! But i'm glad it is.

This president has stones and intelligence. It is at least refreshing that he is willing to face his critics face to face and attempt to bring us together.

I really hope he reaches All of us. Even though some of us may disagree, ihhe believe s we can still work together to get things done for our country.

I hope he is right.

January 27, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Lisa L

Dear Anderson,

I enjoyed your coverage of the US President Barack Obama’s plan in his address to a joint session of Congress. I’m sure it will bring more collaboration.

I trust you are enjoying work and life. I hope you come back safely soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

January 27, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Jerry

He has re-made his case for why he was elected.

January 27, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  14. marne

Regarding his last statements on what we should be doing or will be doing, I sure hope so! I have lost faith.

January 27, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  15. shawn

american is american, not gay or str8

January 27, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  16. David, Indiana

Good evening Eliza, Isabel, Good evening Anderson. I wanted to hear President push back on the jobs question, has the stimulus created saved jobs. Saving 2m jobs has to have a positive impact on the economy.

January 27, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  17. angie

I hope and pray that our president will continue to push foward in making the changes his promised. Despite the tough criticisms from the opposing parties. What we need is for both parties to compromise on making the changes we need instead of pointing fingers that is definitely not going to solve anything.

January 27, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Dee, Midlothian, Virginia

I would hope for solutions and frankly, that's what shakes up the nay sayers as he offers solutions and deadlines. He shows leadership and that's not normal in Washington.

So, I'm listening now to a very strong speech on let's get back to our jobs here. Stop the playground bully behavior of who is tougher. And that's why it's so important that we voters hold them to that task.

If we could only say.... Help Wanted: Congressmen who actually think about issues without influence and actually find solutions to disagreements. No experience necessary. We are cleaning house and will have many openings this fall. Tell us your ideas for solutions and forget your resume.

January 27, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Vivian - Montreal

Hello everyone!

January 27, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The Iraq war isn't ending just because we're leaving. It will continue with Iraqis fighting Iraqis.

January 27, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Kimberly, IL

But when is the war ending?

I wonder what Anderson and the AC 360 team is thinking about his speech so far...

January 27, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Murray Schellenberg

One of the best speaches I've heard from a president in years,alot of good ideas to boast the economy. I see congress shaking in there boots as he speeks.If he sticks to his word congress will need to actually do some work..this will be interesting to say the least.
    It makes them accountable as they should be for there actions and for any actions against..out the door you go if you don't team up.
    Congress likes it the way it is fat and lazy..time to put them on a diet.
    Hope what he says stands and doesn't go down in flames because of the lazy and fat congress and federal institution.
    you know what they say the Rich get richer and the poor get poorer.This flips that coin, let the games begin.

January 27, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  23. angie

furthermore, americans should take responsiblility in the way that they have spent what they do not have which have caused a part of the problem and our president is trying his best, and for those who do not agree well i would like to see what candidate would be better to handle the job especially with all the issues involved.

January 27, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Isabel - Brazil •

@Mike

I don't know what to expect from 2010! 🙂

I hope the next few months are better for all the economies!

January 27, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  25. marne

Frankly, I would like to see more turn over in the Senate and in the House. I think that the idea of lobbist have changed. They have too much power. There is too much money, too much corruption and greed in Washington. I have grown away from politics and distrust much of what is said in both parties.

January 27, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  26. angie

the president is doing his best. lets find common ground and make the changes. people expect for the president to wave a wand and take away all the damage bush left behind....

January 27, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  27. Isabel - Brazil •

Good evening everyone – Anderson, Eliza, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

January 27, 2010 at 9:59 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello Everyone!

January 27, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
  29. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

What about the back door negotiations on health care with the unions? How was that open?

January 27, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
  30. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why not freeze now? Why wait until 2011?

January 27, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
  31. Joyce

Mr. President, health care legislation may be a political hot potato...but for those of us citizens whose health care costs keep going up and up, someone has to champion our cause. Thank you for stepping up when many prefer to cover themselves in the cloak of the status quo.

January 27, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
  32. shawn

i filed bankrupcy during the bush years...im saving and doing better under this prez

January 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
  33. shawn

college killed me financially.

January 27, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
  34. Mandi

Eliminating capitol gains tax on all small business... great move!

January 27, 2010 at 9:40 pm |
  35. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

So far ,I am liking everything I hear.Good ideas.I hope he doesn't meet with too much opposition ,like he often does.

January 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
  36. Sheryl L Rodriguez

Exactly (about the Other countries)!!
    America needs to get back in the game, stop depending on, and playing footsies with the other countries.
    If finance is a major issue it needs to be taught, properly.
    But nothing can substitute a pure and proud heart that will bring America off of her knees and back in charge.

It's not going to be done over night... Never the less; it Must be done.

January 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
  37. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The nuclear power plant idea was proposed by John McCain during the campaign.

January 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm |
  38. Danny

Botom line is unless the banks start lending to small business( the money the tax payers gave them on the bailou)t we will never get out of this mess. I have owned several small companies for 40 years and I can't get credit to expand my business. I am extremely frustrated with the financial industry. They took our money and risk it with trading in different financial markets and made a fortune. Than gave large bonuses to these folks while middle America is suffering
    Small business creates jobs and we can't get money.

January 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm |
  39. Sherry

Thanks for being there for us to all see!!

January 27, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
  40. Jay Engle Grand Island Neb.

Yes we can do it!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
  41. Jay Engle Grand Island Neb.

Rome wasent built over night!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
  42. Jay Engle Grand Island Neb.

I love it to, take it out on the fat cats, they can afford it. And stop screwing the rest of the country.

January 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm |
  43. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why haven't jobs been his #1 priority the past year?

January 27, 2010 at 9:25 pm |
  44. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'd like to see the proof of creating 2 million jobs when unemployment is up from 7% to 10% on his watch.

January 27, 2010 at 9:24 pm |
  45. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I love his idea about taxing the biggest banks...

January 27, 2010 at 9:20 pm |
  46. Kimberly, IL

I'm hoping to hear real answers, real plans, actual actions, not just general "fluff" so to speak. Right now he is talking about all our problems!! we are all well aware of the problems we face, now tell us what you plan to do about it. Mr. President, give us the change we thought we voted for!

January 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  47. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Hi Eliza,I just came to check this page and was surprised to see the blog up! I don't think people know that it is! I hope to hear strength and firm decisions from him tonight!

January 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  48. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Eliza, I'm hoping he admits that his agenda was flawed and the economy and jobs should have been his priority in the last year.

January 27, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  49. Katja

That he is going to put his foot down and congress has to act like responsible adults with real jobs and they can't spend the people's (that's us, the working class dogs) money like it is from the monopoly game. Does Madame speakers little $1 million trip mean anything?

January 27, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  50. Eliza, AC360°

Hey Everyone. What are you hoping to hear from the President during the SOTU tonight?

January 27, 2010 at 9:13 pm |