January 27th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/27/10

President Obama delivers his first State of the Union (SOTU) Address tonight. It is the 221st annual presidential message in the nation’s history. His chief political adviser says the president will focus on job creation, the economy and fiscal responsibility. The live blog will stay up during Obama's address and throughout our coverage until 12 a.m.

Scroll down to join the live chat during the program. It's your chance to share your thoughts on tonight's address, the GOP response and the reaction from our analysts. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

@Starr the two bills are not that far apart, public option not necessary givn the massive expansion of coverage, and funding, the other major difference can be worked out, I'd bet that's just a minor snag, a serious issue, but the differences btwn the two piece of legislation don't seem insurmoutable to me. Even so the President did say that responsiblity for communicating what's in the legislation is his, so this needs to be brought into the public forum and discussed.

January 27, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It's up to the majority to be the ones to compromise and create bipartisanship. If they cram through their own agendas, like Pelosi and Reid have done, it's not being bipartisan. How many times have we heard 'we won' when this subject comes up? Well now the tide turns with the senate in MA. So now WE WON. Democrats need to see the new reality. Be bipartisan or be gone.

January 27, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  3. Mike

GOP is still going to say no. It was a great speech. The GOP Will use the scare tactic in 2010.

January 27, 2010 at 11:58 pm |
  4. starr formerly known as vincent

@Catherine Cooke

You make an excellent point and i agree with you whole heatedly!

It would be interesting to see the Congress scramble for health care coverage, although most of them make enough money to pay for it.

January 27, 2010 at 11:57 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Campbell, Megan, Jessica Y, Ed Henry, David Gergen, John King, Wolf Blitzer, CNN Political team, Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    See you almost tomorrow night!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Thanks for coming join us to night! Bye guys! 🙂

January 27, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
  6. Karen

I agree with Roland. Time has laid a LOT of groundwork. I was talking with a gay friend of mine and just purely over time he has seen a change. Honestly, people are much more likely to care about what you can do, that who you sleep with.

January 27, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
  7. Michael

What is Alex talking about? The president should not undermine the Supreme Court? Over the last decade has it not been the Republican Leadership that has coined the phrase "liberal activist courts"? Or just "activist" courts? They have decried that the judges are not doing the will of the people (which of, judges are not to do the will of the people). I agree President Obama could have been more tactful and that the setting was not the right place. But Repulicans have done more damage in undermining the entire judicail system than did President Obaman.

January 27, 2010 at 11:55 pm |
  8. Ayana

I like how the President said "we face a deficit of trust".

January 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  9. tony fairbanks

Finally, we heard something about nuclear energy. Nu-cle-air. lol.

January 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  10. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

DADT is yet another distraction. What part of jobs, jobs, jobs is confusing?

January 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree with all of you, the panels are exactly right! David G. have good point there. I love David G's comment. 🙂

January 27, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  12. kim-chicago

President Obama has much more patience with the Republicans than I do. I would have told them a long time ago that we play fair or we don't play. Then I would have moved my agenda along. But that's why he won the peace prize and I didn't.

January 27, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

Thank you David Gergen for mentioning President's remarks about nuclear energy and off shoring drilling. Also cutting capital gains taxes to encourage small business had repub support. Thank you for noting the pt that President meeting w republican leadership is resuming productive regular meetings that were (I did not know this) how business was done previously. quite positive and that should not be lost.

January 27, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  14. Bettie

Obama is courageous, sincere, honest and deserves the respect of the country. He did great tonight.

January 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  15. Claudia Carroll

Running for President, Obama made great use of of the phrase, "Yes, We Can!" I felt, that even without using the phrase (though I wish he had), he was appealing to the people (Dems & Rebs alike) and the general public to stop the blaming, and work together. Too often, the very same people who were yelling about too much government, were the same ones who want government (and Obama) to solve all the nations, and their, problems. Perhaps each of should ask, "What did I do for my town, my state, America, the planet and its people this year?" and stop the blame game. Yes, with creative thinking and determination, we can!

January 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  16. LaTanya

I loved hearing about the education "benefits" the President proposed. As a college student planning on going into education upon graduation it was great to hear about the perks of getting a good education and going into a job that is highly underpaid and unappreaciated by many. Only having to pay 10% of my loans; after 20 yrs the debt is cleared and for going into education its cleared after 10 yrs. I love Obama. Now let's talk about pay increases for teachers, not just as good job bonuses; we have families to raise too, but most importantly we enrich and shape the future generations of America.

Also loved the verbal reprimand to congress, government, banks, wall st, etc.

Is bi-partisanship necessary? It's a great idea, but I doubt its gonna happen say... forever.

Again, I reiterate that the President does not make the laws he only signs the bills. Besides, why does it seem that everyone is either forgetting or turning a blind eye to the facts: (1) Obama came into office during a recession and huge deficit, (2) Bush is the reason we are in this predicament... he came into offic with a HUGE surplus and left in a HUGE deficit plus 2 wars, (3) Obama has only been in office 1 yr, yet everyone is expecting him to reverse the damage of 8 years of horrible leadership in less than 1 yr. How realistic is that? We had more tolerance when Bush was messing up our economy and country, yet attack Obama for attempting to correct Bush's wrongs and move us into the Global position we should be while stemming a recession, fighting 2 wars, protecting us from terror attacks and working to make us as prosperous if not more than when Clinton was in office.

January 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I love that panel of people!

January 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  18. Kathy - Illinois

I am curious as to what David thinks on the Supreme Court issue.

January 27, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  19. Karen

Thank you David Gergen. (And I absolutely love that you restrained yourself from the melee....though I did kind of enjoy that people actually fought back on this panel for once.)

January 27, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  20. starr formerly known as vincent

I thought that Pres. Obama's response to the recent Supreme Court decision was appropriate. And, he asked Congress to do something about it!

You have to love David Gergen's response on the issue (smile).

I'm also glad about the weekly meetings with the President & the leadership of both parties.

January 27, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  21. Ayana

I enjoyed the President's speech. I admired the way he admonished both parties for their playground politics. I don't think he was making excuses when he reminded us of the job he inherited. I just hope that both parties can come together to get the job done.

January 27, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  22. Karen

I now know the Pres hit it out of the park. Castellano is doing this to divert attention.

January 27, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  23. LisaL - Canada

this is great to see everyone getting so involved - really - to see some of the discussion panel loosen up a bit

January 27, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  24. Karen

You go James!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  25. carolyn

the ones that have health care she i ask themselves what would they want done if they didnt

January 27, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  26. Vince

With regard to the healthcare issue, why is it so difficult for all these intelligent people which Americans have entrusted to work on their behalf to devise a plan in the best interests of all Americans. At least execute what you agree on and implement the health care bill in stages. Perhaps 2 years down the road something which seemed as a mountain maybe a hill and is now easier to cross over because un forseen factors has changed.

January 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  27. Claus

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    You are right; he has turned everything over to Reid and Pelosi. He not only needs to reign in his own party; he needs to participate.

January 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  28. Karen

Wow! I've never seen this panel get so impassioned! Wow! That touched a nerve 🙂 Or five.

January 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  29. Christine Morgan, Portmore, St Catherine, Jamaica

President Obama delivered a vey profound and soul searching speech to the American people and by extension tto he people of the world. I think the republicans and the negative critics need to give Obama a chance to run the country and stop being no negative about every little thing

January 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  30. catherine b. cooke

How long do you think it would take to have a health care bill if all congressional members lost their health care like so many americans?
    I would bet we would have a great health care bill in no time at all!

It would be great to see them find affordable health care!

January 27, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  31. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Of course the President has backed away from health care. 60% of us don't want it, and in Nov will vote out anyone who votes for it. He won't state it, but he whatever gets through will be a shadow of what it started out as.

January 27, 2010 at 11:43 pm |