January 25th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/25/10

We're following some very troubling reports about what could be happening to Haiti's children. Child smuggling, child selling, etc. We'll tell you what's being done to keep them out of harm's way. Plus, with President Obama getting ready for the State of The Union address and, reportedly, a change of course for government spending, we look closer at where your stimulus dollars went. The Stimulus Project, tonight and all week.

Want more details on what we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, I think the reports by Gary and Ivan have been phenomenal! They are first rate journalists. Of course Gary always is and I hope we will see more of Ivan on 360 in the future.

January 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Danie T.

Good evening Anderson and crew – hope you had an okay weekend I am glad you are still there though – Please keep raising awareness about the potential child trafficking business in Haiti. It's too bad in a time like this some evil people take advantage of the weak and the needy... Please keep doing the good things that you are doing now... God bless you my dear!

January 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  3. A. Smith, Oregon

Surely, American designers can provide the Haitian people with a simple floor plan and real engineered plans for a inexpensive Geodesic Dome built from high strength concrete with adequate rebar to make them nearly indestructible to any Hurricane and readily available to replace those homes and shacks destroyed.

January 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  4. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Haiti was poorly ran by there leaders this event could have been less severe with proper leadership .

January 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Emily

@Renee,
    I wonder how Long Haiti will be in the front burner for all the different countries?!

January 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Mark Chirstos

Where is the Haiti President? I have not seen him visible on any of the primary news networks or CNN?

thanks

January 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Lori

It sounds like people will be in temporary housing for some time.

January 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Janine

I am an intelligent person but cannot wrap my brain around what all of the hundreds of millions of dollars is going to. I just watched a man walk away with a 50# bag of raw rice. What is he, and the others that are homeless living in tents in a park, supposed to do with that rice. They have no running water, so they have to use their water rations, they have no pots to cook it in, no utensils to eat it with.....and how are they supposed to cook it with no stove or fire. Why aren't we feeding them things that have nutritional value, like beans and such. I just don't get it. Am I missing something?

January 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Renee

To me it seems so calm in Haiti. No riots today or anything. I wonder if Americans would be so patient.

January 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Emily

Gary talking here about 50 children sleeping in the middle of the street?

What sight that must have been.

Great to hear both Gary & Ivan here. (w/AC)

January 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  11. jocelyne & Christ

Anderson just hit the nail because the biggest problem with building Haiti is the present government...

January 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That's an inspiring story about the little boy riding his bike to raise donation for the people of Haiti.

January 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Tracy Falls

I'm sure i am not the only one with this comment,since we have some Haiti people coming over to the u.s can we not bring these children over here until they are adopted or their city is built back,I guess what i am trying to say can they not be placed in foster care until something better comes along or they get to return to their home in Haiti?My heart bleeds for these children,I have watched every night since this quake happen.I know Anderson you are doing what you can do,I really get upset when politics comes in between a child's safety.Thank you and keep up the good work.Tracy

January 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yup bloggers!
    Charlie is best young man hero, Congrats Charlie. 🙂

January 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Renee

Good to see Christiane on tonight!

January 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Emily

Christiane is down there too?!

January 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Emily

@Bloggers,
    I wonder if they have found one of Monley's grandmothers' in one of the States?

That would be great news!

January 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Lori

I think that some of Haiti's leaders died in the quake also.

January 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Barbe Wappel

I am heartbroken when I see the news of these lives disrupted. I am interested in helping, hopefully, fostering a young child waiting to be adopted. Please follow up so that I may pursue.

January 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Jay Engle

Keep up the good work AC keep them honest. Hatti needs our help.

January 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Lori

It is good to see people getting supplies.

January 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Gabriela

Good evening Anderson, AC360 and bloggers!
    I want to know, beside money, if it´s something else that we can send to the kids in Haiti, like clothes or toys, or whatever they need! I work in Nicaragua with the organization Un techo para mi pais, they help to build houses to the people in need, so I want to know if it´s something else that I can do to send this kids something else than just money!

January 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

@Annie Kate that's a good pt about children miraculously finding their families. Unicef is working on finding families, parents and families and children will be trying to find each other all the time.

Is this done through schools? the hatian govt?

Amazing getting a paper plate to fly as a kite, very creative, so inventive you have to admire that.

I hope those psycholgical needs can be addressed. That will do so much to help people get back to their life and find a routine.

January 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Was there really any infrastructure to begin with? What happened to all the billions donated to Haiti by the international community? Someone should report on that.

January 25, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  25. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Anderson when are you coming back home.

January 25, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Lori

Oh Monley!

January 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  27. rachel

Anderson,

What more can the president or for that matter any of us do to help?

January 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Emily

YAY Charlie! Only 12yrs old! What a little hero is he!

January 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  29. starr formerly known as vincent

@CNN – Genuinely appreciate the effort to track the stimulus money. It's good to know that someone is looking at it.

January 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Jennifer - AZ

Yay Charlie!

January 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The government is responsible for what the Haitians have gone and are going through. While the Dominican Republic seems to be flourishing, Haiti has remained impoverished.

January 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Renee

Charlie is really special!

January 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Emily

@Casey Jones,

It's great that the people are "huddling" together like that. Finding safety in #'s and each other. It's great to see them all singing, and chanting, etc. Always good to see the 'happy moments'.

btw,
    glad to see you on the blog!

January 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Lori

I am really looking forward the report on where the stimulus dollars have gone. It should be interesting.

January 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I think Jean Wycelf was charge this time. I am sure.

January 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  36. JoAnne Tichenor

What is the American Red Cross doing with the funds donated to Haiti? Is it going into the "general" fund where only a portion may go to Haiti or are all the donations confirmed as going to Haiti? This question has arisen before, especially during 9/11

January 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Monica M. Williams

Speaking of "after effects". I wonder how 2 weeks in Haiti has to be effecting those reporting.

January 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. starr formerly known as vincent

PTSD, yes, i would strongly suspect that almost everyone will have it to some degree.
    When i was little i lived in N. CA for a while and experienced a numbe of small quakes-it really scared me!
    10 ys. ago i lived in WA state and experienced e quakes and it triggered my childhood fear all over again.

I don't know how the Haitian people will every recover from a fear of earthquakes.

January 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Samantha Madhosingh

Project Medishare will be partnering with mental health clinicians to bring some much needed psychological relief to the people of Haiti...particularly the children and those who care for them, very soon...hopefully by the beginning of next week.

January 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  40. rolf harling

hi anderson.im rolf from germany and i see your show all the night.you did a very good job and i hope you have something at home who intercepts you.take care of you.god bless you.the german people spend for the haiti people and we are there in the minds and hearts

January 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Glad that you are still there ,Anderson.As time goes on we hear less and less of the Haiti coverage on other networks.They still need their stories told,so we will all remember....Thank you!

January 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  42. A. Smith, Oregon

@ Lisa there is a database for those alive in Haiti, there is likely a link via the US State Dept. to it. I think Google has one and the one I'm thinking of actually pulls from both of those databases for its alive list.

January 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Emily

I heard that there was not only a history of trafficking in these children, however, they also had their organs stolen from them .... and there were even some that were sacrificed in Haitian Vodou! (as sick as it sounds!).

Thank goodness UNICEF and other ORG.'s are in charge & taking this very seriously!

January 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Hurricane season is four maybe five months off and Haiti is a target whats being done for that .

January 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Building the government there should be easier.

January 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  46. gabby

CNN reporters in Haiti:
    I watched you interview a clean shaven younger American man who was running a orphanage in Haiti and would like to donate money to that orphanage. I did not get the name of the man or the orphanage but would like to make sure my money goes directly to the orphanage. Can you help me.

January 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Lori

How does CNN staff stay safe in an environment such as Haiti?

January 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

It's very typical (human nature) for people to go outside and stand around just waiting for another quake. I recall people standing around and just looking up at the sky after the Loma Prieta (in SF). It's also normal for people to "huddle" together for security. People acted this way after the 1906 SF earthquake which is documented in pictures as well. I wonder why we do that?

January 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Betty Murphy

Perhaps finding a way to give the remaining children some kind of identification NOW would be a place to start. Bracelets? Pictures?(showing any scars, birthmarks etc) and I do not mean to offend anyone here...but perhaps microchips? These children (clilmbing to almost 1/2 million of them now) MUST be protected! The scum of the earth is already on the prowl looking for children to exploit in anyway they can..prostitution, child labor, trafficking, etc etc....just thoughts.
    I heard this evening John Travolta is flying one of his jets down loaded with medical supplies...my first thought was...will he be able to land? and then 2nd...will the supplies get where they need to go????

January 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    You're so amazing reporting from Haiti since 2 weeks now..... I am glad you are staying there before you come home safety, It is very somber to see this so bad. Poor people had struggle their lives lost homes, buisness, hospitals, and more..... I want say thank you being there for them to help.... You're my hero! 🙂

January 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm |