January 25th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/25/10

We're following some very troubling reports about what could be happening to Haiti's children. Child smuggling, child selling, etc. We'll tell you what's being done to keep them out of harm's way. Plus, with President Obama getting ready for the State of The Union address and, reportedly, a change of course for government spending, we look closer at where your stimulus dollars went. The Stimulus Project, tonight and all week.

Want more details on what we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. LisaL - Canada

no photographs of each other to even start searching for family - people would recognize each other though (neighbors, family)

too bad there can't be some sort of 'mobile website services' set up ... like the 'find-people' over the internet through CNN ... if there were mobile laptops or other ways of viewing people in other locations ... video or snaps of various children at orphanages ... pictures posted at perhaps local areas within the tent cities ... or something that would still keep the photos "safe" (don't post locations, etc)

January 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Rebecca

I would like to send all the toys and books my kids have that they don't need or play with any more. Is that possible?

January 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Cynthia, NC

What a powerful sight of that church in ruins, but the cross remains standing.

January 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Janine from PA.

Good evening Mr. Cooper and AC 360
    I sponsored a native American long ago through save the children, they are a great organization. I hope I am seeing things getting more organized as the initial shock wears off and people know what needs to be done.

January 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, everyone. Absolutely best to pay attention to and investigate those reports of child trafficking and prevent even the possibility of it happening. Are the Unicef family linking centers are the primary way that children and families to be reunited? Unicef must work with local government and churches who know the communities to account for all children.

January 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Emily

@ Renee & Megan,
    Thanks! 🙂
    It's the first time that I've had to watch any T.V.!

That is outstanding. 😀 Many thanks to all that donated.
    I wonder who will be in charge of overseeing that money?

January 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Lori

Hello everyone. The story about the disappearing children is awful.

January 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

@Bloggers

UNICEF is able to accept donations on a monthly basis to go where ever you want. I have my monthly donation taken from my credit card. It's easy, and i have directed my donation to Haiti for the time being.

January 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Vince

Anderson – Happy to hear that you (AC360 ) will be reporting from HaitI for another week. It's very easy to get the stories and move on but CNN and AC 360 has shown us all through their reporting that it's more than just the stories. Within the stories their is also a call for compassion which can be ignited further by telling the stories of the Haitian people. We commend you all!

January 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Molly

New orphans in Haiti will stay there. Part of the explanation given is that relatives of displaced children will attempt to locate them. This logic dictates that since it is unknown which children have relatives ALL children must stay. Even if relatives exist, as seen with little Monley, caring for them may not be possible. The majority will have no one. President Obama and President Preval have the power to grant a waiver and allow evacuation for wards of the country. As things stand now, Unicef, Save the Children, and other caretakers will continue to survive with the children in any way they can. Death certificates for the victims buried in mass graves were put aside. A less restrictive approach to paperwork can also be applied here. Photos and fingerprints taken of the children should be sufficient for the present. Please send those trustiong souls out of harm's way.

January 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Jennifer - AZ

Evening everyone,

This is just sickening and saddening, but unfortunately not surprising.

January 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Monica

Wow Anderson, I'm surprised that you're still in Haiti. You don't hear much about Haiti on the other networks. CNN seems to be the only network that is covering this fully. It's good to know that someone still cares!

January 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  13. A. Smith, Oregon

Hyper Stress Triggers such as future earthquakes triggering the horrific memorys of the dead and dieing in Haiti some two weeks ago, will without doubt remain with hundreds of thousands of Haitian people and those that were present during the original earthquake for the rest of their lives.

January 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yoly Weston, Florida
    You can, good idea crutches & amputees to send to Haiti........ Thanks for to help people in Haiti.

January 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Jacky

Good Evening!

These children are minors. They are Haiti's most vulnerable and must have the proper protection, care and love.

If people desire to adopt a child, they should still want to 2 years from now. Wait and do things the proper way.

January 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Renee

I can understand what Deb @ Save the Chidren is trying to accomplish but how long are we going to let more kids suffer? Let's get teams in there to process the paperwork and then place these kids in a better position or with foster families.

I just hope her due diligence doesn't go on for years and years.

January 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I remember Sanjay doing a story about modern day "slavery" of children in Haiti last summer.

January 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Jacqueline, NY

Good evening all!

I haven't blogged in a while, but I have been following the news daily and nightly. Great work you all are doing in Haiti, CNN.

My heart breaks for Haiti, especially the for all the children. I wish I had the means to take some in and care for them myself. God bless them all.

January 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Emily

@A. Smith,

I agree with you! All these people now have "disappeared and become ash"! No paper trail, nothing! How very sad. Glad that AC & the rest of the 360 crew is there.
    Very sad to know that so many people will never know their history, their family tree, and the people that just disappeared! (esp. in this world of the internet super highway, where we can all connect!) 🙁

January 25, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Annie Kate

I hope the reports of the children being trafficked are just rumors and turn out to be not true. Those children are so precious – I think I would be hard pressed not to want to bring home half a dozen with me, especially the babies. Perhaps many of these children will wind up miraculously with their families.

January 25, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I admire your staying in Haiti these turbulent few weeks, though I hope you stay safe and well. The chaos the earthquake has caused is going to take a long time to work through. Your report on the children is fascinating.

January 25, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  22. A. Smith, Oregon

Anderson's previous warning is correct, not only is child trafficking disturbing, the thought of the serial predators circling Haiti now at this time is really disgusting.

January 25, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Renee

Glad UNICEF is protecting the children! Did anyone ever do Trick or Treat for UNICEF?

January 25, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes they had. 57 million raised by telethon last weekend.

January 25, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Isabel - Brazil •

What different better option would have these children?
    They wouldn't have

January 25, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Yoly Weston, Florida

Haitian children sent to slave camps in Dominican Republic to harvest sugar cane.

January 25, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Donna Buchholz

Thank you for all you do for humanity. You are a unique human being. May god bless you

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  28. starr formerly known as vincent

For reporting on the childen. This has been a concen of me, my family and our friends too.

We are praying that these orphaned children will be kept safe from any kidnapping!! And, if some of them still have family, that they will eventually be reunited.

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  29. munir

Thanks Anderson Haiti needs its children.
    They are our future. Please help keep Haiti on the map

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Jerry

Sad to say, but I would think that some parents might try and sell their own children, too.

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Renee

@ Emily: 58 million according to Bill OReilly.

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Anita Z

So many responded to Monley on 1/22 blog – many adoption offers for him or other Haitian orphans. I'm concerned that we aren't thinking more in terms of helping families; if we take Haiti's children, we are taking her future. Is there anyone who would take in Monley and his uncles until Haiti is ready for them to go home? They love him enough to give him up, but surely he (& other orphans) would sleep better if their lullabys were crooned in their mother tongue. Is our State Dept granting emergency passports and visas of undetermined length yet so we can invite families (however defined) into our homes and get them out of tent cities asap?

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Emily

Such adorable children!

I'm glad to hear that UNICEF is taking the adoption of these children seriously!

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

There are always people who will take advantage of situations like this. That is why they should not have been shipping these children out without proper documentation.

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  35. A. Smith, Oregon

Isn't there a long history of child trafficking in Haiti? The huge numbers of children without parents and Haitians with false limbs are going to make considerable changes thru-out Haiti for decades to come.

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I do love orhanage children and they are cute dancing, I am glad they fed inside shelter with UICEF.

January 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  37. Jill

Anderson, where do you and the other reporters from the US sleep, eat and shower while in Haiti?

January 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Yvette

What happened to Clemen, a 12 y/o girl? You showed her on TV and I can't help but wonder how she could fill a void in my heart for a daughter. I'd like to know.

January 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Emily

Has anyone heard how much the Hope for Haiti Fund Raiser has raised in total as of today?

January 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Isabel - Brazil •

It's revolting see the children as well!

January 25, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  41. A. Smith, Oregon

Burning the mass bodys? The idea being to conserve land fill space? I am disappointed in the complete and utter lack of accounting for a more exacting number of people that died. Accurate numbers are really important for a wide range of agency responses and studys which are ongoing. It seems everyday, there are blatant attempts to lower the total number of the dead. That is repeatedly being rebuked with a much higher death toll everyday for several creditable sources.

January 25, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  42. Emily

Good evening Anderson & all the 360 Crew in Haiti, 360 Crew in Studio, Megan, Martina, & Bloggers.

Sounds like you have quite an experience today AC. I hope that your voice, lungs, etc. are okay. Well I respect all that you are doing there in Haiti, I do hope that you will be back in the CNN Studio soon!

January 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  43. starr formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson, & Entire 360 crew & reporters on the ground in Haiti and those in the studio too. I am glad you are staying in Haiti for another week. Your broadcast will keep us posted on what is really going on and the story will not fade away.

Hello fellow bloggers & friends.

January 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Yoly Weston, Florida

My son wants to collect and send crutches to amputees in Haiti. Good idea?

January 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Cynthia, NC

Good evening, everybody.

There are 4000 Americans missing in Haiti? That is a number I had not heard until now.

January 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Lisa L

Be proud Anderson, you have achieved a lot through your show, especially showing the hard work they put into bringing support to the people affected by the earthquake.

A special thanks to you Anderson Cooper and the more than 130 celebrities in the “Hope for Haiti Now” telethon broadcasted around the world.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope you come back safely soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

January 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Jessica Y, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!
    Thanks for coming to join us tonight! 🙂

January 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

January 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  49. Isabel - Brazil •

Good evening, Anderson, David, friends and bloggers!

January 25, 2010 at 10:02 pm |