January 25th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/25/10

We're following some very troubling reports about what could be happening to Haiti's children. Child smuggling, child selling, etc. We'll tell you what's being done to keep them out of harm's way. Plus, with President Obama getting ready for the State of The Union address and, reportedly, a change of course for government spending, we look closer at where your stimulus dollars went. The Stimulus Project, tonight and all week.

Want more details on what we're covering? <strong><a href="https://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

@A.Smith,Oregon. They got my votes.I will vote night and day. Good Night!

January 25, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Susan, NJ

Would FEMA trailers be earthquake proof?

January 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Danie T.

Poor Bea God bless her – thanks Anderson for the update on that 13 year old girl- hopefully she'll get adopted by a great family and get a second chance in life...

January 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  4. neal

Why do you always cut off the interesting and informative discussions to jump to some celeb or human interst story? We were actually learning something from David and Candy then we get a long update on a girl and boy in Haiti.

January 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Dodie, Irvine CA

Good night Anderson, team 360 and fellow bloggers. Have a wonderful and joyous week!

January 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Emily

Have a great night AC & Haiti Crew, Studio Crew, Megan, Martina, & Bloggers!

January 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bea and Monley were saved pullout of rubble building reunion their family! Wow! They are so amazing young kids!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!
    Good night Anderson, Megan, Jessica Y, Ed Henry, David Gergen, Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Thanks for coming in!!!!! Bye guys!

January 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Go Bea!! Goodnight!

January 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Susan, NJ

People in Haiti look like they need lots of hugs as much as almost anything else.

January 25, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  10. starr formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson Et Al and good night too. You and everyone with you are doing monumental work in Haiti and i appreciate it.

Good night fellow bloggers and friends. Great blog, as always.

Anderson, Thank you for the follow ups on the two children, we appreciate it. God bless them both! (and All of the Haitain people)

January 25, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Emily

What a sweet little girl Bea is!

January 25, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Renee

Bea is in shock. She can not look Anderson in the eye.

Everyone keep praying for the chidren in Haiti especially that little Monley and sweet Bea!

Good night all!

January 25, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Molly

Thank you AC360 executives. From what I observed of the reporting on Haiti, reporters where free to make decisions on their own without having to get approval. At least you realize that red tape is ineffective.

January 25, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  14. Lori

I am not sure what I would do if I lost my entire family all in one day. It would be a living nightmare.

January 25, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  15. LisaL - Canada

so good to see the followup stories ... i just love this little girl Bea ... she is amazing

we should all challenge ourselves to find at least one solution to at least one problem, and act on it in some way ... continued progress = success

January 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Dodie, Irvine CA

The emotional loss is catastrophic for these poor people!

January 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Jennifer - AZ

Glad you guys are keeping track of the kids you initially reported on – nice to know what is happening with them.

January 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Emily

I hope that everything is going to be okay w/Monley!
    That is not the news that I was hoping for.

Glad to hear that they think that he will make it!

A, Bea looks great! 🙂

January 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  19. A. Smith, Oregon

I would gladly live and work out of a FEMA trailer in Haiti rebuilding the homes there and getting paid for it, rather than collecting unemployment insurance payments. And I believe many American's feel the same way.

January 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  20. Linda

The Haitian orphan children were not "shipped out" without proper documentation. They were adopted and have parents who were already legally approved. Meanwhile, how is Haiti/UNICEF/Save the Children going to build enough housing, raise funding, and find staff for the current estimate of 1.4MM parentless children? The majority of the original 380,000 in orphanages prior to the earthquake now are sleeping outside due to their orphanages being destroyed.

January 25, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Sherry N. Calif.

@Anita Z What a great idea! Put unemployed Americans and Haitians to work rebuilding the city and country.

January 25, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  22. Don, WA

I smile every time a heartbeat is pulled from the cinderblocks and concrete..I still hope there's more..keep looking I think. It's mostly keeping the living going now, and rebuilding, but still some rescues maybe.

January 25, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  23. Lori

My humble opinion is that the root of our economic problems is lobby and contributions to politicians seeking office. The payback is recirculated money through contracts with the government, and the result is less qualified professional input and low quality work products.

January 25, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Emily

@Renee,
    I've not scene any other shows tonight, however, so many people have donated their $, time, etc to Haiti and they Really do want to see it be a better place. I do hope that the $ will be used for that reason. So often $ was just given to Haiti and the people never saw a dime!

January 25, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  25. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

I doubt that many Haitians had Any insurance.

The real challenge as i see it, is rebuilding to withstand furthe earthquakes And Hurricanes too.
    In the meantime, All of these people have Nothing to protect them if it ust rains.

January 25, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  26. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Sherry N. Calif.

Oh yes, I am devastated by the Supreme court ruling. I am not sure where this will end, but I am not happy with any of this.

Also the lobbyists are no longer registering meaning they can buy politicians. I am not happy with any of this....

January 25, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

A. Smith, Oregon
    I agree! 🙂

January 25, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Emily

this was a great panel here w/David Gergen, Candy C. & AC!
    lots of great points!

January 25, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Susan, NJ

The entitlements are a tsunami headed our way. SEIU, medicare, Medicaid – it's a nightmare.

January 25, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Anita Z

Surely there are unemployed Americans who would assist in rebuilding Haitian infrastructure. What a great use for stimulus money to give them a small stipend (w/o cutting unempl ins); same deal for Haitians who help rebuild. Have the FEMA trailers from Katrina been destroyed yet? Possible to move them to Haiti before the rains?

January 25, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Emily

@Starr,
    I was so happy to hear that Monley might have a relative in one of the States! If anyone could find her or some other one, I'm sure that it's one of the 360 Team/Crew! Also, so many people watch this show....
    stranger things have happened....have to be positive or try to be! 🙂

January 25, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Renee

Just love Candy Crowley. She is a great reporter and very, very smart without putting the spin and opinion on it!

January 25, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ starr formerly known as vincent

I am sure we are all in agreement regarding the abuse.... everyone knows that government contracts are gravy contracts. Then add abuse on top of that is just outrageous!

January 25, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I also agree with our president Obama annouced spending freeze, but I also agree both Candy and David G's comment.

January 25, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  35. A. Smith, Oregon

I would love to see Anderson Cooper and Dr. Gupta's faces when during the CNN Hero's 2010 show, the CNN producers walk up and announce both of them have been selected with the highlight of their work in Haiti.

January 25, 2010 at 10:50 pm |