January 22nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/22/10

10 days after the quake hit, two survivors are pulled alive from the rubble, a 22-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman. We'll have the latest on their conditions. Plus, the new disaster that could hit Haiti's survivors. And, George Clooney talks to Anderson about tonight's "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. LisaL - Canada

everyone has done such a great job of raising awareness - now it's time to keep the awareness going

January 22, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! Have a good weekend and be safe everyone!

January 22, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Emily

Have a great Weekend Anderson, and Haiti Crew! Wow, another week there? I sure hope that you are all safe!

It was a truly wonderful show this Friday! (and all week!)

Outstanding reporting! 🙂

Good night bloogers! Happy Weekend!

January 22, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  4. JenniferWellsinVa

Anderson you are doing a excellent job..we can see it in your eyes you truly care about this disaster your reporting on..along with the rest of the gang..keep up the great work...no one else is keeping them honest like you guys at cnn!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Danie T.

Bye guys have a good weekend and please stay safe and healthy!

January 22, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Isabel - Brazil •

Good evening everyone – Anderson, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!
    Great show tonight. Great show all nights live from Haiti

January 22, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Tanya

Anderson, Please go visit the Virginia Task Force Rescue Workers at the US Embassy and tell them how proud their families are of them. We have not talked to them in 10 days and hope they come home soon!

January 22, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Danie T.

What a genius! I can't believe one man possesses all these gifts, strikingly good looking, smart with a heart of gold. You are using the gifts that God has blessed you with really well Anderson. As an Haitian American I want to join Sandra and others to express my sincere gratitude to you and the CNN crew (especially Dr. Gupta) for collecting and disseminating those sad events from Haiti even when it means risking your own lives. That's why you are so much loved.

January 22, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  9. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The president of Haiti is qualified to run a country isnt he .

January 22, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Valerie NYC

@Glenn Lapp
    That´s what I was talking about...

For those who keep on mentioning little Monley, please, remember there are hundreds if not thousands of `Monleys´ in Haiti today waiting for help and to be adopted. .

January 22, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Emily

Anderson, you have done such amazing reporting here! You are a fantastic story teller!
    Hearing about this orphanage here; when you are with children... I really hope that you write a book about your days in Haiti!

January 22, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Linda

Through out all of the news of the devastion where is the Prime Minister Rene Garcia Preva? I can't believe that there has been zero presence from this man. Please correct me if I'm wrong and perhaps missed him.

January 22, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  13. andrea

I would love to know how I could adopt little Monte. I saw him the tip of the hour and Anderson stated his uncles cannot afford to keep him.

January 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Nadine Galland

Roderick: I agree with you. Anderson and the CNN crew deserve the Nobel Prize, or at the very least, the Hero of the year prize! Also, hello to Emily and the other bloggers. Nadine

January 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Natasha

Anderson,

My father and I are wondering how the people are managing with having to go to the bathroom and such. Where do they go?

January 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  16. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The president of Hiti needs to address his people and give them hope why hasnt he done this yet .

January 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Kelli Hernandez

Anderson,

I've not had time to read the blog, what happened to the little boy that you picked up and ran with that was bleeding from the head?

How can you stand what you see and be so balanced about it?

Kelli

January 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Ken Woodard

If there is no young family that wants to adopt little Monly, I will step up. May God protect you and Dr. Gupta, you are both fine Americans. Keep up the good work.

January 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Alex

words can not defined the work that you and Dr. Sunja Gupta are doing in the chaos in Haiti.
    I doubt that when he went to Haiti he did not know that he will have to play those different roles
    as a provider for the hospitals. a doctor, a reporter, a savoiur, a psychologist and a father and you
    Anderson a saviour for the bloody boy in the streets and a father for your adopted son Johnny
    May God bless both of you against all that may come your way
    Thank you once more for your caring!!!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Diane

I am so grateful for your broadcast from Haiti. Heartbreaking as it is, I want to help and it has encouraged me to e-mail the white house and to give money to help the orphans and all of you in Haiti. God Bless You. My son was on a mission trip in Haiti several years ago and thank God that all of the orphans in that one community have survived. Now I know there are many more and they need our help today.

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Carol

Sanjay is an 'Angel among us'. Thank God for Sanjay and for reporters like you and the CNN team. My heart breaks for the children who have lost their parents and family. I don't have many skills to offer or a lot of cash to donate. I am a single mother of 4 working only part time but I do know how to comfort a child. If I could afford to, I would be there in a heartbeat to sit with and comfort a traumatized child calling out for her Mama who will never be able to answer her cries. That story Anderson of the little girl with two broken legs calling out for her Mama broke my heart. I still cry with that image and sound of her cries in my mind! You're replaying that story now! Thank God for all those who are contributing. I donated to World Vision the day after the quake. I will continue to donate in the months to come when I can and hopefully sponsor another child from Haiti. Thank you Anderson

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Ashley H, Canada

Hi everyone! 🙂

Anderson, Sanjay, Ivan, Gary, Soledad, everyone at CNN is doing a phenomenal job reporting from Haiti. Keep reporting you guys!!

Monley is so cute! Anderson, where is the little boy you saved from the looting several days ago? What about the little boy who was rescued and smiled and opened his arms out as he was rescued?

I hope the telathon made a ton of money!!!

Have a good weekend everyone! 🙂

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    You've done an exceptional job reporting from Haiti since the earthquake. I hope you are all able to get some rest this weekend–and continue to stay safe.

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  24. GenNai Smotrilla-Milner

Dear Anderson,
    Please try not to forget the children. I wish there was NO BORDERS FOR CHILDREN, I would take them all in. Please keep reporting on these important issues.

GenNai Smotrilla-Milner

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Bobbie

I am willing and able to adopt and care fdor Monley. Please tell his Uncle.

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Linda Matthys

Why do we not see any heavy equipment clearing out rubble? Are pre-fab buildings lined up and ready to be delivered?

I have been through 2 wildfires so I understand it takes time. But, sometimes it is just to much.

FYI we have donated $200.00 to the Haiti relief, which was matched by my husbands employer, BAE Systems in San Diego.

January 22, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Ron

I don't think I have ever commented on any media blog before....but based on what I have seen over the last 10+ days, I felt it was necessary to praise the journalism that is taking place by Anderson and his colleagues.

As a 32 year old, I do not recall seeing coverage that depicted real life... unslanted.

Someone else here mentioned the Nobel Peace Prize, I second that...this program's reporting is largely responsible for the level of charity and aid that is flowing into Haiti now. It is sad to say that it would not be this large of an effort without this important journalistic work.

January 22, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Caroline, Los Angeles

As always, another wonderful job of reporting with compassion today. Take care AC and all the crew. Have a good weekend bloggers.

January 22, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Dan, Tallahassee

Saw report on Monley. My wife and I are interested in adopting or assisting with financial support for Monley in Haiti until he is adopted by a suitable family. Please advise what organizations we can contact to accomplish this. Also, please get this message to Nurse McAbbot who treated Monley and, if we can help, please give her my email address for her to contact us.

January 22, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Jennifer - AZ

Evening everyone,

Anderson, that was a great piece with the getty images.

January 22, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Mimi

I thank God for you and Dr. Gupta. I pray that He keeps both of you safe as you continue to do his work. I truly appreciate all the work you are doing. I only trust the information given by yourself and your collegue. I am very happy that you are expressing you true feelings as things are actually occuring in Haiti.

January 22, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Ken Woodard

Anderson: You and Dr. Sanjay Gupta have been doing a great job. I'm so proud of you both. I wish I could be there to help you too. I also wish I could adopt little Monley. I'm retired and my 2 kids are grown and live on their own. Thanks for your great reporting and I will continue to watch you both as I have since the quake. I agree, the US was way to slow to get boots on the grown and supples where needed. Thanks for highlighting that fact.

January 22, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Dawn, Georgia

Anderson, Thank you so much for your dedication, stories and strength. I can't imagine being there seeing and dealing with all that you have been. My heart breaks just watching your coverage and I just feel so helpless. I know giving any amount of money helps, but I feel I have so much more I can give. Seeing the stories of the kids has weighed on me like so many. I think about them all day, as I do my daily activities thinking what they must be dealing with. I feel so guilty:( I know this has been going on for years, but this situation is going to take years to recover. I know many are doing what they can to help the orphans, but I wish there is a way to expedite the process of getting all of them out of there and to the states. Even if we had an orphanage or group home here to go to at least it is clean, with beds, running water etc...THere are so many wonderful families here who would love to share their homes, family and give alot of love to all of these kids. They so deserve it especially after this. If you know of any way to directly help assist, adopt, care for, or help any of the kids please someone let me know. I am able to hug and tuck my kids in bed every night and they feel safe. It would be such a huge thing to be able to help one, two, or more kids feel safe and bring the smile to those little faces that they so deserve. Thank you so much Anderson and I am sending you many many prayers of safety and Strength to continue to stay and share the amazing stories of Haiti. Thank you from the Bottom of my heart:)

January 22, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Robin Lane

I would love to see an interview with Haitian government officials out-lining their plans to restore peace, order, and safety for their people. I find it odd that no one ,especially M. Preval, has been seen or heard from since the tragedy. Bon chance a tout les Haitians!

January 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  35. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The C.B.'s needs to start clearing neighbor hoods and build shelters quarantein the blocks starting with the shipping ports and clear the area .

January 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  36. Sandra Guillaume

Thank you, thank you to you guys at cnn, to all Americans, and to the world on behalf of my country, Haiti.

January 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  37. Judy

How can I find out about providing foster care to a child until adoptions can be determined for them? Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

January 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Isabel - Brazil •

Amazing picture!!

Very beautiful and strong the text narrated by Anderson!

January 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Steven

AC. Thank you from Cambridge MA

January 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Kelly Dean Messimer

I am at awe over the things that you do. Keeping it short and sweet,I am wanting to know how to foster babies ages 0-3 years old. I can accommodate 3 children. It is my passion to help others and my God given duty that I am willing to serve such a mighty God.
    I can also fly over there to help out, just let me know what to do.

Friends in Christ,
    Kelly Messimer

January 22, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  41. Christine Morgan, Portmore, St Catherine, Jamaica

Hi Anderson
    Being in Haiti for a week and a half reporting on the grim situation there, I hope will be a one and only lifetime experience for yourself and the other CNN reporters. A situation like this cannot be repeated to any nation on earth. It's really depressing just watching these reports. I hope that Fox News may take a leaf from CNN's book and stop being such a negative network. Big up to you guys at CNN!!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Molly

Anyone know what the name Monley means?

January 22, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Julie Barban

Hi,
    The impression was given that the 5 year old boy Monly's Uncle cannot take care of him.... What will happen to him? Is there someone or an agencie we can contact to adopt this child or some other child in need? We live in Canada and forgive my ingnorance but am not quite sure about the whole adoption process. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Julie Barban

January 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  44. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

It is so nice to see smiles on your faces tonight. As always the reporting from everyone is excellent. Thankyou. And wonderful to see Bea and Monley doing well.

January 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  45. Sebastien Boyer

Anderson,
    My father is a Haitian that is on the ground trying to help get supplies out to the people. He called me and asked that I ty to get the word out that supplies are being taken from the airport. He stressed urgency that something needs to be done. Please look into this and report on it so that the supplies are not stolen and then sold later for profit!
    Please, Thank you!!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  46. Emily

Jonathan, you took some outstanding photos!

January 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  47. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Anderson got jokes! Good ones, Anderson!

January 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  48. linda cross

I would love to hear a story about some of Haiti's great artists. Where are they and how are they doing.
    Thanks

January 22, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  49. alta raymond

hey my name is alta and the other day u showed a boy that did not have any parents i would really love to adopt him. i already had a dream he was one of my own. please let me know how i can adopt him thank u

January 22, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  50. deb

I am a teacher, mother, grandmother. I have shed so many tears watching the horrific conditions of those in Haiti and especially the children. Being Catholic, I feel a special connection. I so admire the Haitian's great faith, compassion, strength, love and the graceful way they approach life, even now when their suffering is beyond any type of description. Their spirit has reminded me of life's most important lessons.
    Finally. AC and the other CNN reporters, you all are their angels!! You should be the next recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize!

January 22, 2010 at 10:48 pm |