January 22nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/22/10

10 days after the quake hit, two survivors are pulled alive from the rubble, a 22-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman. We'll have the latest on their conditions. Plus, the new disaster that could hit Haiti's survivors. And, George Clooney talks to Anderson about tonight's "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nadine Galland

Ivan, Gary, Sanjay and Anderson: you are courageous and our heroes! Thank you for your dedication to "keeping them honest." Noone else has the guts! Nadine

January 22, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Valerie NYC

Oh Anderson... you are funny! ("Is this the way I´d like to be found?")...
    You guys are great. Lovin´it...

January 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Chastina

I have absolutely fallen in love with that little boy that was pulled from the rubble on day eight! Monley....I know that his uncle is not going to be able to take care of him for much longer...I was wonder what I can do to adopt him. I would love him to be a part of my life...this might not be the right place to be...but I figure this is where I can start. If someone can please help me find out how to go about getting information to possibly get this most amazing boy here...please let me know! Thank you so much!
    Forever greatful,
    Chastina

January 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Isabel - Brazil •

The Haitian people have a strong look. In no time I feel afraid in their look, on the contrary! Amazing!

January 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Emily

@Caroline, Los Angeles,

I agree w/you. They have lived through so much!
    I hope that this is a chance for a completely new rebuilding of everything for them! They all seem like they really want that for themselves now too. (aside from us just wanting it for them).

January 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Caroline, Los Angeles

I'd like to know if the Haitians are listening to radios to know what's going on. Like do the people in the provinces know that most of the relief is in Port-au-Prince?

January 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Barbara

Anderson, Dr. Gupta, Ivan and Gary–thank you! You guys are doing a great job. Something tells me that none of you are "working." You guys are heroes. Its clear that all of you care SO much. Hats off to all of you and thanks for showing so much love to each and everyone of the people that you come into contact with!

January 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

Andeson,

Thank you for showing how little violence (overall) there has been during this tragedy.
    The Haitian people should be represented as the good and faithful and strong people they are!

Gary Tuchman-great story about the 109 yr. woman!
    Anderson, Ivan, Gary and Dr. Gupta, thank you for your discussion and stories about what you all have observed.
    And thanks for letting us know where you are staying.
    PS: Anderson, you're not vain!

January 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Adriane

Thank you for showing the beautiful spirit of the people of Haiti. They are truly inspiring and resilient people. Please let us know how we can help Litle Kiki the 5 year old and Monley the 8 year boys who survived after days. They are truly brave little boys.

January 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  10. amy

Not vain Ac just cute.

January 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Lynn Parpard RN/peds trauma er

observed coughs on workers
    twin tower > post workers have high cancer rate
    be careful
    i will be volunteering in 2 months when everyone else is loosing interest
    61 yr old and I am excited to help thanks to watching you & Dr sanjay gupta ....... my son & i had gone in after Andrew

January 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Magaly Malave

Anderson you and Dr Gupta are such an amazing people. You are keeping us very well informed of everything that is happening. I wish I were younger, I would certainly like to adopt a child from Haiti.
    It was so good to see Monley and the 15 year old girl and you are so right she did look beautiful. I just saw the clip of the kids that were sent to the US that had aready been adopted, it was so good to see that they are safe. Keep safe and keep us informed of whats happening.

January 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Tzila (zee-lah)

You mention the tent cities and their cleanliness....I worry about rain...it hasn't really rained, has it? Let's hope it holds off until more people are settled!

January 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  14. michael armstrong sr. TX.

What would be a great help would to give some intertainment for Haiti with the U.S.O.

January 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Susan, a San Diegan

I agree that Anderson would make a good father, if he isn't already. He has my deepest respect. The good man that he is shines through in these terrible circumstances.

January 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Glenn Lapp

As a clinical psychologist who specializes in post traumatic stress disorder, it is not uncommon for survivors to be in a state of shock. They are dissociated . They do not smile, do not cry, do not grieve. It is a survival response. After weeks or months feelings begin to emerge. The people of Hati will need years of psychological help as well as medical and financial assistance. Anderson Cooper you are the Edward R. Murrow of our time! Thanks, for your magnificent reporting.

January 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Kate ideker

I have never written in before but I am so touched tonight and cried tears of joy for Alexander and his parents. I saw their story earlier in the week and have been thinking about them for days. Your coverage has been amazing...god bless you and the entire CNN crew. The sorrow is palpable...thank you for your service of sharing.

January 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Emily

People are people no matter where you go!

When events like this happen, you always see the different personalities of people come out...the caring person, the take-charge person, the easy-going person, the entrepreneur! Amazing how orderly it is.

January 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Michael

My family believes Anderson Cooper will be a Saint, or at least an Honorary Catholic (regardless of his faith beliefs). God Bless Anderson Cooper, the CNN News organization, and all of the people of Haiti in these dark days of disaster!!! 🙂

January 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  20. jackie

again, great coverage. thank you anderson, sanjay, ivan and gary! =)

enjoy the telelhon tonight and the one earlier this week with larry king. so much love and support.

January 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Ophelia McInturff

Hello Anderson Cooper,
    Thank you for all you are doing to let us in on what is really happening in Haiti, and your story on the little boy Monly touch both my husband and my hearts. We would like to know how we can help him or even adopt him if possible please.
    Thank you so much!

January 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Elizabeth MI

Dear Anderson Cooper,

I want to thank you for all you have done. Just watching you and your stories I can not Imagine the pain your heart is feeling .
    To you and all of CNN Great Bigg Huggs for you all......Peace be with you and journeys.

January 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  23. amy

109 and made it thru the quake. OM goodness, please send her and 2 female relqtives of her to my house. I have room for 3 females. I am a single mom of 3 teen girls ages 19,18 and 15. I have 3 extra beds and 2 extra rooms.

January 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Jean

Anderson, great job in Haiti. I viewed the "Canada for Haiti" and then "Hope for Haiti." Great show and a moving one.
    Those Haitians who may appear not to cry, there is no doubt, their hearts are aching. They are probably still in shock. Tears may come sporadically. Consider losing loved ones, as an example, through natural causes and going through the period until they are laid to rest. Tears do come but not frequently. One can only cry so much.
    If people have faith, hope and trust in God, their strength comes from God who sustains them through it all. They have the strength to withstand all what has happened to them as they pray and sing. After all is said and done, after their tears for the present, they realize that life has to go on. There is a period of mourning which God recognizes.
    What is also comforting for them is the help, comfort and words of encouragement which they are receiving from the international sector, such as you Anderson, Dr. Gupta and all others who are assisting them. It helps tremendously to give them the strength. All of you a doing such a great job. I, too, wished that I could be in Haiti helping out. I prayed tonight to the Lord to help me do something more than donating.
    As my dear mother always said: "God is good" and He who knows the heart will find a way somehow for me to help otherwise. The Haitains will need much help for a very long time. As long as life, health and strength permits who knows? God of course.
    We, in the outside world are praying for the people of Haiti and for all of you that you will keep save and sound with health.
    God bless all of you. Know that He who knows, sees and hears all things is blessing all of you at this time. Our prayers are constantly with all of you in mind.

January 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Christine Morgan, Portmore, St Catherine, Jamaica

Hi Anderson
    I was truly heartened to see Monley appearing on your show tonight. I remembered when he was found and he was so dehydrated that when his skin was pinched, it layed very flat. I noticed he is coughing a lot but trust that he will be OK

January 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Jeri Sorenson

I just saw the boy named Monley, who Anderson Cooper visited with on his program, and I want to swoop hin up and take him home with me. I have 5 children and home who would welcome him with open arms and a lot of love. I know that donations can be made, but given that that boy lost both parents and his uncles have no resources to care for the boy...it makes me think that finding him a permanent home with a family, even outside of Haiti, could be better for the child.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Jeri

January 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

Yes those close quarters in the encampments are worrying. the availability of clean water is reassuring as is Sanjay's assessement that outbreaks of illness can possibly be prevented, but this will take continued attention, care, and supply.

So nice to see Jenna eyes lighting up with her mother and to see her and Alexander smiling with his parents. Two very happy results from Gary Tuchman's report from the orphanage.

January 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Laney Baldwin

Hi AC360. My husband, daughter and I have just begun the adoption process in Ohio. We saw Monley on CNN tonight, and were immediately drawn to him. We'd love to learn more about his situation. We are currently looking to adopt a little boy Monley's age. My husband, daughter and myself are ALL adopted. Therefore, we understand the transition and adjustment process. We have a very stable, loving home, and can provide Monley every opportunity. Please contact me if there is ANY possibility of pursuing this. Our daughter is eight years old, and she donated all her allowance to Haiti. She asked us why we can't adopt her brother from Haiti instead of Ohio. We fully agreed! We hope to hear back very soon. Thanks for reading this.

January 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Susan, a San Diegan

The elderly survivors that were in the Haiti National Nursing Home are hungry and lying on the ground with no attention. This is really bothering me. I think these people could be airlifted out of there into a place where they might be cared for. There were about 94 of them originally and now some are dying of starvation. Could CNN cover this and get them some immediate assistance? The youngest and the oldest are the weakest and need the help, perhaps most. Mahatma Gandhi said "You can judge a society by how they treat their weakest members." I think the world is part of the Haitian family now, and we need to help these elders. I hope all readers will donate something to UNICEF or other organizations getting food in to all these very hungry people. But for the grace of God we are not in their shoes – yet.

January 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Charles

How can a person adopt one of the newly orphaned children in Haiti?

January 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Kim, Lincoln Nebraska

I cannot help but think that covering this story is personally life changing for you, Dr. Gupta, Ivan... I hope that you share that with us when the time is right. You're doing outstanding work, both as a journalist and as a person.

January 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Emily-I think what the Haitians live through every day even before the earthquake is beyond comprehension for most of us.

I am sure that deep down inside they feel like crying but there is just no time or place for such "weakness".

January 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Tammi

Anderson, My 3 children and I would love to give Monley a home. How would we go about doing this for him or another child needing a family? Thank you.

January 22, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Pat Lue

Anderdon, Thank God for you and your team! I commend you and the CNN team for the outstanding coverage in Haiti. My concern/question is regarding the medical supplies that Dr. Gupta discussed yesterday on your program. Is it posible to identify the isolated make shift medical facilities (sites) by displaying some type of hot air balloon hovering over these spots. Then helicopters can easily identify where they need to drop medical supplies. As opposed to waiting for them to arrive by vehicles.

January 22, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Constance

Just curious,
    How are the areas of Haiti not physically damaged by the earthquake being affected at this point. I can only imagine that "normal supplies and food" are not getting to them given the logistics of distribution and chaos from the seaport,airport and roadways.
    Constance

January 22, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Mary

I agree with the comments above, CNN is certainly the most reliable, also there is a compassion for the Haiti people that does give hope to the Haitian people, but also to us. I know that Mr. Cooper and Dr. Gupta will follow up in the months to come. Thank you to all that you and your crews do.

January 22, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Robin Lane

I would like to see an accounting of donations.

January 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Suzanne

Anderson,

Thank you for opening the world's eyes, hearts and now wallets, Thank you for your continued efforts to give the people of Haiti a voice. God Bless you and the people of Haiti!

January 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Fathia Harrak Anderson

Anderson, you need to adopt Monley – you would be a great dad seriously!!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  40. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Amidst the chaotic disruptive catastrophic the quake left behind to Haiti, It has prooved to my deepest sense that the unified efforts that we as,beautiful human beings, collaboratively conjure will undoubtedly ameliorate the painful suffrage, yet at the same time, elevate hearts, souls and spirits the Haitian people.

Have a great weekend and God Bless, everyone.

January 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Sandra Guillaume

Anderson,
    As an Haitian American, I am proud of the job that you & Dr Gupta are doing representing my people with dignity, & respect even when they are at their worst. I salute you for a job well done, you guys are the perfect example of what a journalist should be. You have definitely raised the bar. May God bless & protect you guys to continue your mission.

January 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Caroline, Los Angeles

How much longer will CNN and/or AC360 be in Haiti? Do you think CNN will sort of establish a constant team down there for the next 6 months?

January 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good and happy outcome of children, Gary.

January 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Ilya- Connecticut

Anderson,
    Incredible work in Haiti. You have done so much to the Haitian people and deserve to be recognized for your work. I tune to 360 every night because quite frankly, I only trust what i hear on your show. Thanks again for your work. You have shown me the true meaning of caring and being united.

January 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  45. val

do you know what is being done to prepare for the heavy rains that hit Haiti. It's my understanding that everything turns to mud when they get a heavy rain. Mass graves uncovered? people without shelter from rain, ie. "tent" cities made of sheets. hygiene problems with heavy rains.???

January 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Laura Acevedo

Hello Anderson,

What you are doing is great! My husband and I viewed the story of Monley and are concerned about where he will be going. We hope that CNN continues to follow his status and if he does end up in an orphanage how can one go about adopting him or other children that have been displaced because of the earthquake. Thanks for the reporting that you are doing in Haiti and for Haiti – not only are you keeping them "honest" but touching lives as well.

Best wishes,
    Laura Acevedo

January 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  47. amy

Anderson,
    Get some sleep, Take good care of yourself, Haiti's gonna need you for a while sweety.

January 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Danie T.

Alexander is so cute... what a great ending! Bless everyone that assisted in any way to that happy ending for the little boy.

January 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Orion

I just want to say that Anderson Cooper and CNN are the best in the business of news, Anderson’s report on Haiti’s earth quake has been the most tangible and heart feeling report I ever seen; you are the voice of the voice less. Thank you and keep the good jib you are doing.

January 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Emily

@Gary Tuchman,
    To even find a silver lining there in Haiti is great!

It's amazing that people all over the world is giving to much to Help Haiti!

January 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |