January 22nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/22/10

10 days after the quake hit, two survivors are pulled alive from the rubble, a 22-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman. We'll have the latest on their conditions. Plus, the new disaster that could hit Haiti's survivors. And, George Clooney talks to Anderson about tonight's "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sandi

Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta , I want to thank you for your non- stop support of the beautiful Haitian people. Your compassion and hands on attention to them is amazing and you both are great examples of what and who we all should be. Your both remarkable. please take care and stay strongand keep bringing us the facts.
    Prayers to all.

January 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Caroline, Los Angeles

I also hope to see many more adoptions.

January 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Rianne

Hi Andersen,
    My name is Rianne. I love your show, and you too! I live in St. Thomas and was thinking about starting a drive or something to collect from teachers and students for Haiti. I am in middle school, but I happen to think that one person can make a difference. Thanks for listening (or reading).

St. Thomas, U.S.V.I

January 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Alix Elysee

Hi. I live in Boston, MA. I am Alix Elysee. I beleive I may be related to Monley Elize. The Elysee/Elize family is so large and I am sure we are related. My family and I would love to give him a loving home. Please let me know what I can do.

January 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Isabel - Brazil •

These children deserve a new home and an another chance in their lives!

I hope that adoptions will continue to happen!

January 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Savita

I know that the Haiti disaster is devestating and unfortunate for everyone involved but I'd just like to say that America and the nations contributing to the relief have a big snad strong heart. ~ Savita

January 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Christine Morgan, Portmore, St Catherinem, Jamaica

Hi Anderson
    I am an avid fan of your program and has been watching you, Dr Sanja Gupta, Soledad and the other CNN reporters reporting from Haiti since the day after the earthquake. You guys have been doing a tremendous job keeping the world connected to Haiti and especially us in Jamaica – just 100 miles away from Haiti.

A fantastic job indeed!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Maury Buchanan

Anderson,
    Appreciate you encouraging doctors and others to come over the border and the story of the young men who came in from the DR in a van. Tell your views that again. I spent the day working on a charter flight from the DR to PAP. Price but worth it right?

January 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Ana

You've all done an amazing job on behalf of the Haitian people. As the world's attention moves to other preoccupations in the weeks to come, don't let us forget about Haiti. Many thanks to you and your team for your commitment to reporting the news with compassion and humanitarianism.

January 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  10. David

I hope the world will step up for once to rebuild this poor country.

January 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Immacula

Hi Anderson and all the staff of cnn in Haiti.we do appreciate all you are doing in Haiti.I'am a haitian Journalist living in florida,i have been watching you Anderson .You doing with such passion ,professionalism and humanity.Because of that i have decided to go back and do what i love doing in my country,as soon as possible.Thank you,i will see you around.

January 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Carlos

Where is Anderson and crew staying in Haiti?

January 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Dale

Anderson, you, Dr. Gupta and your crew are amazing! You really know how to raise the interest of otherwise unconcerned people. You deserve every award there is and you're a true American Asset and Ambassador.
    signed Former Fox News watcher

January 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Emily

@Caroline, Los Angeles,

That was so sad hearing AC & Carl telling us that the people of Haiti said that! To have no hope? ...not even see a bright future? Amazing that they are able to find a "coping mechanism" at all!

January 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Ronide Fort.L. FL.

Anderson, you are a gift from God and Dr. Sanjay think you so much .May the good Lord bless you and the others.

January 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Jeya - Toronto

Hi Anderson ... thank you and your colleagues – all of them ... for bringing this story to us. Thank you all for caring about humanity.If you see little Monley again, please give him a hug for us ... 🙂

January 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

Anderson, you and Sanjay and everyone are doing great reporting from Haiti. I can't say thank you enough for showing the situation of the earthquake and aftermath and helping in an extemely effective way to let everyone around the world know how relief and recovery are progressing and the need for continued aid.

January 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Debby

I am watching Anderson Cooper 360 this very minute!! It is really interesting!

January 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Shlynn Rhodes

Thank you for being there Anderson; you are very much appreciated! God Bless.

January 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Clair - Grand Cayman

Anderson and Sanjay, you are fantastic. That boy Monley, his smile, his spirit, please we must ensure he has a safe future. He deserves it. All those kids do. Blessings.

January 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Tai Denize

Anderon, you are amazing, I could feel your frustration when you report from Haiti. You want to physically to more but can't. Believe me you are doing wonders reporting the truth on behalf of the haitian people. We never miss 360 (neither before or after the quake)
    Hope you get a chance to report a bit on the situation beyond the capital like Petionville and Peguyville. No one has giving us an update on these areas
    Keep up the good work

January 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Carline

Anderson you and your team are doing a great job God Bless and God Bless Haiti

January 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Emily

@Anderson,
    I hope that you pen a book about this when you return home!
    It would no doubt be a terrific read, yet I bet it would be very cathartic for you.

January 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Kyle

Anderson,
    I think you should take that little boy home. The boy who was under the rubble for 5 days.

January 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  25. JuJu

I want to say Thank You for all the spectacular help and reporting all at CNN are doing. This is devastating. I do wonder why they cannot have a ship take all the Mobile Home units they used for Hurricane Katrina, etc to Haiti for alot of the people to live in rather than tents when it has been reported FEMA is going to destroy the units. There are alot of them that would be alot better to live in than in tents, even for the ones who are afraid to go back into those concrete homes. We, in the USA along with worldwide, are donating so much money to help, why not donate the homes for people of Haiti to use?

January 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Vince

Happy to see Monley tonight. I was hoping that you would find him.

Anderson – what strikes me is that even if the kids have lost their parents or so many love ones - when you talk to them and ask how are you doing? There is always a little smile.... and the merci. They have little and in so cases nothing but they are greatful! This strengthens my hope and faith for them.

January 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

You made the baby girl smile,Dr Gupta.That's beautiful.

January 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  28. megan

gauze not guns

January 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Caroline, Los Angeles

God that was such a good question-why don't you cry? I think people who have faced wave after wave of pain and suffering simply learn to be hard and tough in order to cope.

It's a coping mechanism. You have to be strong because there is another battle to fight just around the corner.

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Kathleen Powell

Anderson, I remember reading about earthquakes and the death toll in the past, but the stories did not have a lot of meaning because they were so far away. You are doing the world a great service by bringing it home to us. I suspect no one will ever know the extent of your behind-the-scenes helping out.

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

@Courtney

What an amazing poem! Hopefully someone will publish it for ALL to read.

It is a great donation!

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Camille

Hi Anderson,

Just wondering, where are the journalist staying in Haiti? Every time you show up on TV you are so neat and tidy...so yea.:)

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Margaret H. Parkinson

Hi Anderson. I am so grateful for your reporting and for Dr. Gupta too. I would like to hear how animals are faring in all this. Please would you do a report on this?

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  34. David

Anderson,
    What a night! You and George Clonney are doing wonderful things for Haiti. I've been trying for an hour to call in a donation on the Help for Haiti toll free line but it's been busy everytime. I will keep on trying to connect. Take care, my friend!

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Sheri

Dear Anderson, Thank you so much for everything you do.
    Please let me know how my family and I can adopt Manley or any other orphan Haitian child – thanks again – Sheri

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Curchel

If Haiti and the States would let me I would take in that little boy who was in the rubble those 8 days. His name is "manly" or something like that. He looks just like one of my sons. I am a single black female in New Orleans and i have twin 6 year olds. I am not rich but i would love to take the child in.

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  37. Lilie

Anderson, you and all the other CNN crew are awesome. Thank you for your hard work. How can I help the little boy Monley. He's a brave little survivor.

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  38. Henry Valentin

Hey AC you are doing a wonderful job in covering this tragedy and im glad Monley is looking good..its funny that he was wearing a X-Men shirt because i work for Marvel Entertainment.I hope relief gets there quick. Kee p doing a good job AC

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  39. Gerard Mc Ardle, Drogheda & Belfast, Ireland

Great work Anderson & team...great to see that little boy doing so much better...but did I hear a chesty cough? Hope he doesn't catch a chest cold now...after the ordeal he's been through. Is all the money donated for Haiti...going into an account for the relief & rebuilding of Haiti? I mean will these organization's go into that pot for other reasons & other country's aid? Because if that happened Haiti would never get better both in the health of the country & the rebuilding. Also, is the medical aid from the airport stockpiles now with the people that need it...or is there still a problem with that?

One other thing could people donate for the care of individual children? I have done this before for children in Capetown...where I paid for a pair of twins year by year schooling in a shanty town there.

Hope they sort out the after care in the next days & weeks especially for the many orphan's we can't just let go of their plight.

Thanks again to the CNN team who even we in Ireland can see the good you have done/are still doing/ and will do in future by keeping Haiti in the forefront of your reporting till it is well & truly mended in both heart & spirit and has regained its smile.

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  40. ange

Thanks, AC, Sanjay, Gary, Ivan and rest off CNN crew who are honestly reporting the Haitian situation.
    Please keep us updated on HOW the supplies will get out faster to the people, hospitals in need.
    They keep talking about logistics, where are the charity organizations representatives to pick up these items?

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  41. KATHY--- Colombia

miracles do happen, after 10 days to find life under the rubble in haiti is a great miracle, miracles do not end

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Eileen Prince

Dear Mr. Cooper, I love your coverage of the situation in Haiti. My question is "Why can't the U.S build a temporary port/ beach landing area like what was done in WW2?" Don't we have the capability to do a massive beach landing of supplies? What if we needed to do rescue of this kind in New York, LA, or any of our coastal cities?

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Susan

Incredible job you guys are doing. What are the living conditions for you guys while you are there? What do you have for food/supplies? How long will you be staying? Thanks for making it real.

January 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Rosemary

Continue to be strong and report what is going on in Haiti. You are worth your weight in gold. Thank you for your focus on the kids...you are so kind and gentle with them. You would make an awesome father! God bless you and the others that are working so hard to help Haiti.

January 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Charlene

How many thousands of lives could be saved in the next few days if today, in just one day, the reporters in country took a nurse or doctor from the make shift medical facilities that they are seeing, to the airport and loaded up their SUV's with medical supplies. My God! The military leaders won't send it in cars or trucks unless they have troops and armored vehicles..
    Lead and others will follow

January 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Julie

Anderson should adopt that kid who was coughing...or any other orphan there who has lost their family. He'd be a great dad.

January 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Rahoul Dupervil

On behalf of all Haitian, please accept our sincere thanks for allowing the world to witness the devastation of Haiti and the lost of human lives following the earthquake on January 12th 2010. We especially would like to thank Anderson Cooper, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Larry King and the crew at CNN for the excellent coverage of the aftermath. We are asking everyone to take a moment of silence on Saturday, January 23rd at 6 pm for these above mentioned individuals and cnn crew without whom this disaster would not have received the extended coverage and attention that it has through the world. Let’s pray that God protects these selfless journalists from danger and return them back safely to their loved ones in the United State. Please forward this to all your contacts so that the Haitian people as one will lift these individuals in their prayer in the name of Jesus our Lord and Savior on Saturday, January 23 at 6pm.
    Rahoul Dupervil

January 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Caroline, Los Angeles

I agree with Becky. Thanks to George Clooney for planning this whole thing and to all those who helped and participated. And thanks for giving Clooney my phone number Anderson. (LOL, it's a joke!)

January 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Becky

Sorry...I was so emotional when I wrote my comment...I meant I would love him in my home and our school. His story has really touched me. I have three small grandsons and I can't imagine one of them being in his situation.

January 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Diane

AC you are doing an amazing job covering the real story in Haiti..You are such a caring, kind and compassionate human being, God bless you..

January 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |