January 22nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/22/10

10 days after the quake hit, two survivors are pulled alive from the rubble, a 22-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman. We'll have the latest on their conditions. Plus, the new disaster that could hit Haiti's survivors. And, George Clooney talks to Anderson about tonight's "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Karen E

While I cant afford to donate now, I WILL donate –something.

Anderson, the job you and Sanjay Gupta are doing is nothing short of miraculous. Keep up the good (no, EXCELLENT) work.

January 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Emily

@Marvin, That was one of the great things to hear from AC & the Crew; how the people there in Haiti were helping one another, and trying to do anything and everything....picking up all the cement that crumbled to rescue one anther and even taking family members that had passed away to the cemetery.

January 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Nadia Khater

as I watch the devastation in Haiti I cant help but feel an overwhelming desire to help. I am a single mom of three and a High school special education/math teacher. My kids are gathering their friends, coloring pictures, and making plans to sell the pics for 10$- but I find myself wanting to be a foster home to a family! Is this an option? I do not have a passport, been on a plane once, and do not have enough of a disposable income to contribute in the way I would like. I did by a brandnew home this year and would love to open it to people in need. I want so badly to help children with fallen family members or whatever!! It doesnt have to be permanent but I want to help!

January 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Valerie NYC

@Beth Grossman
    I totally agree. It seems Anderson would be a great father for him. Somewhat closer to fate.

January 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Kevin and Liliana Bean

Thanks for your coverage from Haiti. My husband and I would like to adopt the little five year old boy named Monley Elize. Please help to adopt this little guy. Thank you for helping us. Liliana

January 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Danie T.

Anderson and George said it just right – the help has to be long term otherwise we'll be looking at an even bigger devastatation than the earthquake itself. AC please do not forget us you are our only hope... no one can report and keep the focus on us better than you... I thank God for people like you

January 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Carline

are you going to adopt any child from haiti

January 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Dennis

Anderson, my wife and I would like more info on the young girl that was featured in the first part of the hope for haiti program

January 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  9. nahomie

i lost 15 members of my familly because it was to late for them, please don't let it be to let for those who survive. pleae donate, same lives
    thanks to cnn crew. Anderson you are more then a hero

January 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  10. megan

I love to see the Haitian people sing and dance through this unimaginable storm, it really inspires me, their beats are electrifying!

January 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Monica M. Williams

I work 3 jobs and I am very tired tonight. However my weariness is nothing compared to the people walking the streets of Haiti tonight. They have to be exhausted mind, body and soul.

There is a very popular gospel song called Stand. "After you've done all you can do, you just stand." I pray the people of Haiti know, as they are standing we are here on the other end lifting them up in prayer, donations and doing whatever we can from around the world to make sure they never fall again. Thank you CNN, Anderson, Dr. Gupta, Gary and the entire CNN team for being there.

January 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Sanjay Gupta

What about the mass burial so many bodies decomposing and were not burned. It will be a primordial bacterial soup! Wouldn't it sift down to the water table?

January 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Caroline, Los Angeles

I'd like to see how other people are living-those who are not in the tent cities. I'd like to get a bigger picture view of the city and what the plans are once they clear the rubble.

January 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  14. LisaL - Canada

mike holmes was part of the 'hope for haiti' from canada which aired earlier this evening - he spoke of easy-to-construct housing which might be applicable for rebuilding some structures relatively quickly in haiti.

i hope this gets posted - it may be a viable option for some of the people discussing rebuilding options to at least consider - perhaps someone reading here can pass that info on

January 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Carmen

Thanks Anderson and Sanjay for shining a light on Haiti, without your reports the world would never know what is going on there. We all know this is not a short term fix. Haitians have endured lots of corruption, poverty, disasters and heartache but now the WORLD is watching. After all the donations and relief aid the WORLD MUST NOT forget Haiti. Keep up the great work.

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Tarah

Anderson thank you for what are doing. I have 2 soldiers that need find their families. They left Iraq two days ago and are having a hard time getting to Haiti to find their families. Is there anything you and the team with you can do? God Bless and stay safe.

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  17. D.Plummer

Dear Anderson,
    I am not a regular blogger but I am compelled to write to let you know what a wonderful job you are doing for the people of Haiti. I am been watching CNN since the Earthquake hit and each day I see you tirelessly and professionally do what is neceassary to let the world know what is going on in Haiti and how badly people are suffering. Please continue to report the news whether good or bad. It is very important for people to know what is going on so that they will want to help more. Please keep up the wonderful work you are doing. You are a good person.

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Sheri

How can we adopt Maunly – the little Heitian boy? Please email me. Sheri

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Becky

Anderson, BRAVO!! Thank you for the coverage on Haiti and you involvement in the telethon tonight. I have fallen in love with the little guy, Monley. Please don't leave him there. I am a teacher in Florida and would love to have him in my room and our school. And please thank George Clooney...what an amazing job he did putting the telethon together.

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Isabel - Brazil •

People are without the minimum of subsistence! This benefits both the proliferation of diseases

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Marie-Gabrielle Collot

On behalf of all the Haitian I would like to thank Mr. Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta for the best jobs they are doing in Haïi for my sisters and brothers. God bless you.

Thank you very, very much.

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Heather

The Haitian people are so inspiring!! Thank you to them!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  23. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Get bulldozers and and dynomite and clear spaces out for tent camps with running water and cafeterias .

January 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Carol

I saw your interview with Pierre, the orphanage director, from Haiti.
    It got me thinking about an idea from my brother Jim. He thought of having long term foster care for the Haitian orphans. If this could be implemented, people from the USA, Canada, or other countries could be foster parents to the orphans until their parents are found hopefully alive. If the parents are not found, or are found but not alive, the orphans could return to Haiti once it has been rebuilt. This way, the children would have someone to take care of them. I'm sure the governments could cut the red tape in this instance.

January 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Emily

@Annie Kate,
    It would be great it they could find one of Monleys relatives in the US. Good to see that he's getting the best possible care!

January 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Courtney

I can't afford to donate money right now or adopt a child. So I did the only thing i could : prayed. And wrote. Wrote a poem called "Tell Them" in the hopes that we don't all shed tears tonight and forget tmrw. I'll post as much of it as i can here:
    "Tell Them"
    Tell them of the loss, the sadness,
    The frustration, the pain, the
    Uncertainty.
    Tell them of the hope, the faith,
    The resilience, the love, the
    Smiles.
    Tell them of the smiles in the
    Face of complete uncertainty.
    Tell them of the smiles – still.
    Tell them of my people’s
    Strength, but of my people’s
    Need!!!
    Tell our story, quick!
    Tell them something to make
    Them remember,
    Tell it all in vivid detail, in
    Unforgettable,
    Indelible,
    Unexaggerated
    Truth.
    Tell them,
    Before
    They
    Forget.

January 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, everyone. Monley looks wonderful, very much recovered, much stronger too. Yes there is a tremendous need for donations and aid to continue in Haiti. What is the plan to help the hundreds of thousands in encampments with shelter?

January 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Beverly

AC, you are doing such a great job reporting. I know your heart must be just about broken by now. come home safe. you are loved by many take of of yourself.

January 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Lunie Dorcin

Thank oyu to you and Sanjay for the wonderful job you are doing in Hait.Keep you in my prayers ...God bless

January 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  30. amy

Dr. Gupta,
    Is it possible to get transportation for the survivors to the city's of HOST FAMILY's in the USA to help reduce the risk of deaths due to infections caused by the conditions there right now?

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Marvin, San Francisco

@Emily, I agree. Anderson and the CNN team has done a great job of documenting the Haitian Earthquake. The other Heroes are the people who were digging for days to get their families and neighbors out of the rubble. God Bless...

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Marie from Wyoming

Thank you for what you are doing. I have donated to Hope For Haiti. I wish I could do more. God bless you all for how much you are helping.

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Jhonson Napoleon

Anderson, Thank you, Thank you. You show the world what is the human spirit, you show the world respect and dignity know no color. I am so happy I live in this great country, I am pround to be a Haitian-American and I am glad I can afford cable to witness with my own eyes this country greatness.
    Thank you, thank you. Did I remember to say Thank you.

Miami, FL

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Isabel - Brazil •

@Emily

Yes, Emily! Monley is great! Just a cough to be cured!

All children in Haiti, deserved to have the proper treatment!

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Emily

Looking at this is so sad, and wonderful too!
    Sad that they have all lost their homes, etc. and they have to wash and do all the day to day things in front of everyone! ...yet they are all true survivors. They all seem to be trying to make the very best of this awful hand they were dealt!
    A wonderful example to all.

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Bernadette Onuoha

Anderson, Thanks for all you and Gupta are doing. I want to adopt Monley. Please let me know how I can do this. I am a mother of three and a physician and really feel that this little boy who has been through a lot deserves better. Pleasse let me know who to contact about this.

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Shari

Haiti's people are suffering greatly and where is their government?
    Where are they? It is disgusting and disgraceful that in all of CNN's reporting there has been almost no sign of Haiti's president. Unbelievable!

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  38. June Jorgenen

Hi Anderson:
    Thank you for the story u are bringing us from Haiti..I love you for the way you stay on when all the cameras are all gone..Your compasion shows through in your incredible journalistic skills...That is why you are so admired...Again, thank you

January 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Donna

It would be great if someone could check out what is happening outside PaP, like in Saint Marc.

January 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Kay Story

I will worry all night about the little coughing boy...... get his lungs checked...hope he doesn't have pnemonia.

January 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Renee McDowell

I would like to adopt one of the children from Haiti. How does one go about adopting a child. Our hearts go out to all of these people in such pain. We can all start one person at a time.

January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Valerie NYC

Anderson, this child and all these people will need a huge post-traumatic stress disorder support! This little boy spent 8 days in the dark, underneath the ground, trapped in the rubble. And he´s a child, he does not understand what an earthquake is. It would be interesting if you could address this issue one day: how do you provide PTSD support or treatment to the population of an entire community and who do you begin with. There is still a lot of darkness to be seen and felt in these child´s minds unless it is addressed.

January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Caroline, Los Angeles

We can all tell you want to adopt a couple of kids Anderson. 😉 Adopt two or more so they have someone to play with. That's my only advice.

January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Deanna

Thank you for being in the midst of what is going on, and bringing us the real stories. Please stay on Haiti and its peoples side. Help make sure that the money and relief go where it is needed. Don't let the greed filled leaders take it and build more vacation homes. Keep the spotlight on Haiti until all those affected have been helped.

January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Jamilah

I think Anderson and CNN are doing an amazing job at making sure the world is aware of the true devastation going on in Haiti. My hope is that 6 months, a year, five years... CNN will not forget Haiti and continue the coverage. Anderson and Gupta are amazing !

January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Patricia

Hello from Norway! Anderson Cooper you are simply amazing! Thank you for sharing the inside stories for all of us around the world...we care deeply. And to Dr. Gupta, as well. Stay safe and take care!

January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Annie Kate

Monley looks great – so different from the first time we saw him. He seems such a sweet shy little boy. I hope his uncle finds him a secure home close to what is left of his family long term.

January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  48. cooper

The telethon, the coverage, and the reporting in general has been better than one could have hoped for. Thanks to you and CNN for keeping this on the news. Anderson: your work and compassion is what journalism is all about. Shame of those who call themselves journalists and don't get that.

Merci....

Cooper

January 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. starr formerly known as vincent

@Rachael-ND

To adopt Haitian children your best bet is to contact the State Dept. for information.
    There may well be an expedited process for adoptions as so many new orphans will result from the earthquake.

January 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Darling

Anderson and Team, thank you so much for all that you do. Words can not express my gratitude.

January 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |