January 22nd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/22/10

10 days after the quake hit, two survivors are pulled alive from the rubble, a 22-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman. We'll have the latest on their conditions. Plus, the new disaster that could hit Haiti's survivors. And, George Clooney talks to Anderson about tonight's "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. BFRENDA FARRIES

Anderson,
    I would very much like to make a personal contribution to little KIKI??
    and his family. I believe he's the little guy rescued with the arms thrown wide and a grin that melted every heart.
    I have made donations to the red cross, unicef and a personal donation to a fund established by a coworker for his elderly dad and
    other family who were displaced in the quake.
    If you have any information which you can give me for this amazing little boy, please send it. I can't stop thinking about him.

January 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Nancy

Monley is such an incredible boy. My husband and I are happy to adopt him in this second if he needs a home!

January 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Emily

With all that infrastructure that is needed there, who is going to be in charge of making sure that homes are rebuilt, and the medical operations & follow-up care will take place, etc?

January 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Cathy

We are all united and it shows in the outpour coming from all over the world. What a wonderful thing. In the depths of despair there is reason to hope.

January 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Caroline, Los Angeles

We have so many construction workers here who need work. The aid agencies and Haiti gov't should work together to coordinate getting our workers there to train Hatians in new construction techniques and help them rebuild.

January 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  6. michelle

I think that Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta are what Haitians needed God Bless Them

January 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  7. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Hurricane season is on its way progress needs to speed up for shelter .

January 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Nadine Galland

Anderson: you are our hero here in Vermont. You are singlehandedly leading the News on Haiti. We love you and hope you stay safe! Nadine

January 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Isabel - Brazil •

@Anderson and 360 team

The Monley's cough is because of the dust from the rubble?

January 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Consuella

I love you Anderson. You have a great heart & soul. We appreciate all that you do.

January 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Suzanna Hicks-Hostetter

I just finished reading "Dispatches from the Edge," and I can't help but wonder how Anderson is doing being in Haiti, working at the site of another disaster. I watch him on TV, and he is so compassionate to all he comes in contact with. I hope he is and stays well, both physically and emotionally.

January 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I'm so glad Monley is doing well–and even appearing on your program.
    It's great to hear of more survivors being found–that people haven't given up searching–10 days is an unbelievably long time.

January 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  13. Beth Grossman

Anderson, You would make a great father to Monley. Please consider adopting him.

January 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Danie T.

Good evening Anderson,

I can't think you enough for the amazing work you are doing in Haiti. Milles mercis? I believe the telethon was a great success stay safe dear – Thank you Dr. Gupta and all others. By the way your french is getting pretty good Mr. Cooper:)

January 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  15. darrell demers

Dear Anderson,

We are a loving family in quebec that is interested in (Monley) well
    being, if he is looking for a family please conatct us...regards darrell

January 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  16. J Harrell

How can I help Manley? I'm in Fort Lauderdale

January 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Emily

How much of every $ donated tonight will go towards Haiti?

January 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Kim

Anderson: any word on how we can sponsor a Haitan child to come to US? sort of like a foster situation? have you heard of anything yet? My home is safe, full of love, and I am ready to "sponsor" a child.

January 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Emily

@Anderson, your French is pretty good!
    You will make a great father. You are so good w/kids, and they I see they bring out the 'kid' in you too! 🙂

January 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  20. amy

Anderson,
    What happened to the little girl and boy rescued the same day as the 72 yer old woman? day 7 or 8 I think. You mentioned their rescue breifly but nothing since that.

January 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Dodie, Irvine CA

Thank You CNN for correlating such a grand effort among celebrities

~*~ Kudos ~*~ for all that are helping

January 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Valerie NYC

Yes Anderson... There is a new generation of orphans in Haiti. I call them the "quake generation."

January 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Caroline, Los Angeles

He's probably tired too. I hope all that cement dust he inhaled clears up.

January 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Cynthia

Thank you so much Mr. Cooper and Dr. Gupta and all of the CNN team onsite in Haiti. You are doing so much more than reporting...it is with great pride that all of your fellow Americans watch you helping the poor souls who have lost so much in Haiti. God Bless you all!

January 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Andre Hinkson

We see palaces grand and buildings tall, we see them crumble, we see them fall, a mere scratch in a country so bleak and so poor, but the value of life there is worth so much more, from Barbados we see all the pain and the tears but we could never really feel their pain and their fears, so remember dear Hait in our thoughts and our prayers for a better tomorrow, and show that we care

January 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Rachel Jarcik

My husband and I are two of the many who have talked about Haitian adoption. It has come up in conversation with three other couples in our area (Williston, ND). We are all willing to adopt. I know it has been a lengthly process in the past. With the recent quake there is great concern over children being adopted without finding their families first. My question regards the children (over 300,000) who where already deemed orphans. Are there any special plans for these children for faster possible adoptions? This is a commen question being asked by myself and the other couples I know. We would like this information to be shared as soon as it is available. We would like to help. We have sent money, but we are seeing an obvious need and we have been led to say "This is not origianally what we had in mind for our family, but we are suddenly ready to see our family in a completely different way."

January 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Kathleen

AC, we love you in the Pacific Northwest, Please stay safe you are our HERO you are doing a great job keep it up.

January 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Emily

@Isabel, Monley looks great, doesn't he? ...and just a couple of days!

January 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Caroline, Los Angeles

Haiti needs schools so desperately. Free schools for all these kids.

January 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  30. michael armstrong sr. TX.

All the stuff being done for Haiti is wounderful but now is the time to quarantine areas and clean up the mess .

January 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Caroline Plamondon, MD

Anderson, I am amazed at the job you're doing; your intelligence, sensitivity and deep understanding of human beings is truly a gift. Thank you for exposing what is going on, I can't wait to go to Haiti as a surgeon.

January 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The little boy looks well.

January 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Lisa L

Cher Anderson,

Moi, j’aime your writing, reporting, anchoring and humanitarian efforts (e.g “Hope for Haiti now” telethon).

Merci beaucoup. Bises.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

January 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Valerie NYC

You guys have outdone yourselves. Thank you for going ahead with this fabulous event. It went really smoothly and I can only expect another great hour with Anderson and the AC360 team and all those wonderful artists. I look forward to the rest of the show! Bravo Clooney.

January 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Isabel - Brazil •

The dehydration finished! This is great!

January 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Emily

So glad to hear how Monley is doing.
    He is SO cute! A true little survivor! 🙂
    btw,
    love that 'X-Men' t-shirt.

January 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  37. amy

If it wasn't for CNN and the reporters such as AC and Dr. Gupta and co-workers n crews in Haiti, I beleive thousands more would be dead.
    God Bless you all.

January 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Cynthia, NC

Hello, everyone. I was moved to tears when Monley appeared on Hope for Haiti with Anderson tonight. What a strong little boy and evidence that miracles do happen. 🙂

January 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hi everyone. Hi to Anderson and Monley!

January 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Emily

@roderick, I think that AC, Dr. Gupta, Gary T., Ivan, Chris and all the 360CNN team that has been in Haiti for days now are CNN Heroes!
    They all deserve to be nominated for that award too.
    Their work has been outstanding!

January 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Isabel - Brazil •

Monley is so beautiful! He has a look so strong!

January 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  42. amy

I would love to adopt Monley. Or any other Orphan.

January 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. starr formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Dr. Gupta & Entire Team of reporters and staff in Haiti. Good evening to studio staff too.

Good evening fellow bloggers and friends....wasn't Hope for Haiti Now great?!!

And more rescues in Haiti too!

January 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Isabel - Brazil •

Good evening, Anderson! Hello David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

The whole world together. Is beautiful to see!

January 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Joni brown

Anderson, Thank you so much for the stories from Haiti. God bless you for all you are doing. do you have any information on adopting children who need homes? i have been praying and crying for Monley. If there is a way I can help him please contact me.

January 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Janis Holden

Anderson Cooper, do not minimize what you do. You are a true American Hero. You are the eyes, ears and conscience for all of us. Thank you for being there for those of us who cannot. I salute you. And you're nice to look at, too.

January 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  47. megan

nothin like it...wat a finale!! !incredible!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Emily

Good evening Anderson & 360Crew in Haiti, 360Team, Megan, Martina, & bloggers!

Happy Friday.
    Looking forward to hearing how some of the survivors that we've heard about are doing.

January 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

January 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. roderick

Anderson you deserve the Nobel Peace Prize. This is a great thing that you and all the other networks that are supporting you. Sorry FOX News just doesn't get it. It's shameful.

January 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm |