January 22nd, 2010

Evening Buzz: Hope for Haiti

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/LIVING/01/13/haiti.earthquake.how.to.help/t1larg.haiti.agencies.aid.cnn.jpg caption="Agencies are asking for moslty monetary donations for relief efforts in Haiti, for many are still assessing the country's needs." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on 360°, Anderson will have the latest developments from Haiti.

He's also taking part in the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon, which airs from 8pm to 10pm ET on 25 networks including CNN. It's a star-studded event to help raise money for the victims of the earthquake. I'm watching them set up right now. I see a lot of big name Hollywood stars ready to take your call.

Haiti needs your help.

Tonight on the program we'll show you the potential health risks for the quake survivors. One public health agency reports there are about a million Haitians living in about 600 settlements. Tent cities, if you will. With so many people living so close together the conditions pose potentially serious health risks. Dr. Sanjay Gupta has the facts.

Meanwhile, Karl Penhaul is tracking the mass exodus out of Port-au-Prince. Aid officials estimate about 200,000 people have fled the capital.

We also have an update on the five-year-old boy, named Monley, who was pulled alive from the rubble on Wednesday. Anderson met Monley at General Hospital, where his uncle took him for care. The uncle and four of his friends dug Monley out with their barehands, no big equipment. It's believed Monley's parents died in the quake. Tonight, you'll see how Monley is doing now on day 10 of the disaster.

We also have updates on some of the orphans we've been telling you about, who have been lucky to be taken to the U.S., to live with their adoptive parents.

Join us for these stories and much more tonight on 360°.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Gwen Wiggins

Anderson, you are by far the best journalist/reporter/commentator I've seen in the 20th century...I do not say that lightly...I first recognized your brilliance when you covered Hurricane Katrina...and I've watched you on everything else since then. Your coverage of Haiti, however, has inspired me to write you to say...you truly are the best of the best. Your compassion for others and ernest concern is so compelling – you make us think...but more importantly you inspire us to act. Thank you for your humility and courage...and may God keep you safe through all your journeys across the globe.

January 22, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  2. Angie

Anderson
    I just want to say THANKS! I have never seen such wonderful journalism. You and your team have been true angels to the people in Haiti. God has a very special place for you all in heaven. God bless and stay safe!! 🙂

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  3. lisa chicago. ill,

AC, you're doing a great job out there. Keep up the good work. We need more people in this world like you that care and are not afraid to get their hands dirty. I just got done watching the Haiti donation program. God bless them. I hope there's enough money going in. Stay safe out there, AC :).

January 22, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Lisa, Louisville, KY

Thank you, Anderson, Sanjay, Gary, Ivan, and ALL of the CNN reporters for what you are doing. You're doing fantastic reporting, but more importantly you are providing your own humanitarian aid – you and your stories have touched the hearts of millions of people around the world. Please keep the Hatians in front of us for the many months and years that it will take to rebuild.

I am so proud of all of you.

God bless you and keep you safe.

January 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  5. nahomie

i lost 15 members of my familly because it was to late for them, please don't let it be to let for those who survive. pleae donate, same lives.
    dr gupta you deserve an humanatary noble price. anderson copper and dr gupta you guys are one of the best think that happend to haiti lately. thanks so much

January 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Vic

It was great to see little Monley again.
    Thank you CNN for all you've done.
    I hope Hope for Haiti is a huge sucess tongiht.
    Bless all that care.

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Cindy

Anderson, I truly believe that you are a rare human being. I've been watching you and Dr. Gupta every since you've been there. I pray for all people there. I'm just a regular 46 yr. old mom of 2 and although I'm on disability, I've donated days ago what i could. Please come home safe, I think the world of you and all that you do. God Bless you.The horrors that you are seeing in person to me are just unimaginable, but yet there you are, in the midst of it all. You truly are my hero. Please try to take time to rest when you(and all of Cnn crew) get back, for I am sure this takes an emotinal toll on all there. Again, God Bless you and everyone there. Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you.

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Lunie Dorcin

I can not watch anymore it broke my heart every time I saw the devastation of my countryand I'm not there to help the people that put me where I am today .This is my country and I love it so much

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Lunie Dorcin

Thank you to you and Sanjay for the wonderful job in Haiti.Keep you in my prayers and God bless

January 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Erlyjolee

Little Monley has touched my heart. I would love to make him a part of our family. He's such a little fighter. His smile while being rescued is forever etched in my memory.

January 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  11. miramboseko

Than You for being there and letting us know what is going on. I wan'ted to go volennter but the red cross said they would get back to me. I said i was ready to come help for any thing. Wisconsin says no they don't need that help. Only money. well I have no money,but I wanted to help

January 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Jamee Childs

Just watched the "Hope for Haiti" telethon...it was great! I tought Jay-Z, Rhianna, Bono & Edge were AMAZING! My husband and I have been watching daily and are horrified by the disaster and really struggling how to explain to our 4-year-old what and why something like this could happen. Thank you Anderson for all of your reporting–you and your team do a remarkable job.

January 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Carline

I appreciate everythiing you do the love you have for what you do and you are good at it. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for loving my country Haiti the way you do and because of that I pray God to keep you safe and bless more and more I love you Thanks, Thanks

January 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  14. Katja

This telethon proves, like the ones for 9/11, the Tsunami and Katrina, that all people, famous or regular, can come together to help those who cannot help themselves. It makes me proud to be an American, to be a person of the world. My hope is restored, thank you.

January 22, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
  15. Sue Deigaard

One of the things that has struck me in all of this is that the foreigners that were there (which of course includes the US) were not there for pleasure or profit. They were there to help people in need whether through the UN, the medical community, government agencies, or aid organizations. Haiti will now be left without so many of these experienced and dedicated people in its greatest time of need. These people cannot be replaced, but their places must be filled. I have not been personally affected by this disaster, but I am left with a sense of responsibility to those who have perished and cannot continue their work in Haiti – whether through my money, my time, or both – to carry on the work in Haiti if they are to have any hope of ever becoming a self-sustaining country.

January 22, 2010 at 9:54 pm |
  16. Danie T.

This is humanity at its best – this is why I love America – Thank you all and God bless you for coming together to help my country. AC, Dr. Gupta and all the CNN crew over in Haiti thank you for all you are doing to make sure we are not forgotten. You are not only great journalists but you you are genuinely caring human beings. Please stay safe and keep up the good work I love you. God bless you.

January 22, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
  17. Linda

May God bless all of you who goes beyond themselves to help Haiti. What a great CNN team who not only bring the news to us but totally devoted to help. Thanks to everyone for helping Haitian heal their pain. Haiti is blessed country and I know it will become the paradise of all. The Blessed Mother Mary had promesse that to a visionary and I believe.

Thanks for all kind of support!

January 22, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
  18. Lisa Kettler

Anderson,
    Thankyou so much for you heartfelt coverage of the need in Haiti. My heart goes out not only to the people of Haiti but to you and Dr. Gupta for the sorrow that you have witnessed first hand. I think I will be a forever fan of CNN because of you and Dr. Gupta.

January 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm |
  19. obed

Anderson, Thank you for your faithfull service on behalf of the Haitian people.
    "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves" Proverb 31:8

January 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
  20. heather from louisianna

i truely feel that because of people like anderson and sanja gupta haiti has a chance. they are both wonderful men and i truely hope that looking back on this everyone will remember just how special these two men are to the whole world in general. if dr.gupta had not been there in haiti that 15 day old baby girl wouldn't have made it along with so many others who he has taken into his heart when all others had fled. these two men are true heros in every way and i truely wish for them to know that they mean so much to so many. thank you anderson and sanja for jsut simply being who u are. sincerly heather and her family.

January 22, 2010 at 9:37 pm |
  21. becki morrison

i've practically lived with ac since he arrived in haiti but what i saw last night got to me more than any scenes i'd seen up to now. the poor man that lay dying on the street, shot to death by the haitian police for supposedly stealing a bag of rice, combined with the poor 11 year old young girl screaming in pain with broken limbs and no one there to help her. Dr. Gupta obviously didn't know about her or he would have taken that bag of medicines to her hospital. Its overwhelmingly sad. God help the Haitians. The rest of us will do what we can to help. Thanks for being there!

January 22, 2010 at 9:37 pm |
  22. khalil f

Thank you very much for everything you are doing anderson,sanjay and the crew (cnn of course) in haiti.I always watch your show you are the best,you host heros but you are a Hero.
    Merci beacoup pour tout ce que tu a fais a Haiti......thank you.

January 22, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
  23. sharon kleim

Anderson thank you for your work in Haiti, we pray for you everyday,and hope you and Dr Gupta stay safe..I have watched your reports 24×7 since the Quake hit..this truly is hell on earth..I as do so many people wish we could do more.
    you profiled a beautiful litle girl named Bee.. she is so adorable. These children are all so beautiful. I am too old to adopt but I am sure there will be lots of people wanting to bring these gorgeous children home..if that little Bee has an address I would like to send her something..
    thank you Anderson we love your reporting..the world needs to know..
    I am watching hope for Haiti.. keep up the great work..

January 22, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
  24. Aida Gonzalez

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for everything you're all doing to help HAITI, the tragic events are painful, because of your reporting the world now see how depleted Haiti have been for so long, Dr. Gupta, Anderson, CNN and all the reporter, the medical volunteers and everyone helping to bring the into lights so much devastation. I only wish I could do more to help.. I hope that once the media leave all continues to help this nation in so much pain. God bless Haiti, the citizens and every helping hand there. Thank you

January 22, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
  25. Barb

Hats off to you and Dr. Sanja Gupta for toughing it out in this heart-breaking Haitian tragedy. I'm sure a large part of the donations have been made due to your support - God bless.

January 22, 2010 at 9:29 pm |
  26. Lindsey

I said to my boyfriend tonight... "why is all of this video from CNN?" He said, "because they were the only ones there." However you got there, and however how quickly, and for whatever reason, thank you for showing Haiti to the world... in the midst of this disaster, and in explaining what existed before. Hopefully you will be there for a long time coming. Please, find a way to make poverty "newsworthy" before disasters make it so.

January 22, 2010 at 9:29 pm |
  27. Jason Ferguson

This whole thing is so sad, props to all the Haitians. I know I wouldn't have the strength they've displayed right from day one.

January 22, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
  28. Kula May R Ellison

Hello Mr.A.Copper & staff.
    Thank-you.For up-dated reports & your humanitarian work. Now watching"Hope for Haiti" Thank-you to all volenteers & organizations involved with helping "Haiti"
    Great Work to all. Sincerely, Kula May

January 22, 2010 at 9:19 pm |
  29. Steph in SC

Anderson- My young sons have seen the coverage of the tragic events in Haiti over the past week. Tonight my oldest, age 7 said Mom, tonight instead of the toofth fairy bringing me money tonight please tell her to send it to another little boy or girl in Haiti- I almost cried at his selflessness. Thank you for your continued selflessness as you cover this important story. Bon Nuit.

January 22, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  30. Adam

Just donated $50 from Canada!

January 22, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  31. shawn

why are the people of haiti not getting what they need?

January 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  32. jeannie Hartley

This tragedy has brought the world together and shows us the best of what can be born from the deepest of sorrows
    May each of us give the most that we can.

January 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
  33. Katherine Pauley

If hearts bursting with love, tears & hope can change the world, then surely the Haitians have a better life ahead. Thank you to Anderson, Dr. Gupta & the rest of the CNN crew. You've allowed us to see both the light & dark side of the human spirit, and the resolve people have to help themselves & others. To our brothers & sisters in Haiti, know that we care & are doing what we can to help. You won't be forgotten.

January 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
  34. Eric Campbell

the show is making tears flow down my face

January 22, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
  35. Sterling R.

WATCHING HOPE FOR HAITI NOW...HEART BREAKING, but also its SO BEAUTIFUL TO SEE HOW WE ALL COME ALONG TOGETHER FOR those who really need us today! THANKS A.C. and your whole CREW, FOR all YOU'vE DONE FOR HAITI! TRULLY A GREAT JOB!!!! =)

January 22, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  36. Annie Kate

I'm surprised that the number of Haitians leaving the capital is not higher – I would sure want to get to a place of more stability and easier access to food, water, and medical care. Looking forward to hearing about the 5 year old boy – hope he is doing well. Thanks for great coverage!

January 22, 2010 at 9:09 pm |
  37. Beverly Wittler

We're praying here in Georgia, and we're donating at the Publix check-out, Walgreen's too, plus our little Methodist church is sending health bags full of hygiene products our children and youth bought and packed. Still hurting for those in Haiti and thank you Anderson Cooper, Dr. Gupta, CNN and the rest of the media for showing us the pain so we can open our hearts and wallets.

January 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
  38. Paulette Hawthorne

Anderson, my soul cries out for the people of Haiti. There is so much destruction and loss of lives that my problems seems so small at this time. It gives me so much joy to see the United States working together to assist the people of Haiti. Thank you so much for bringing us this message. i hope we will forever remember what is going on so we can appreciate what we have. We should never forget that we are our brother's keeper

January 22, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
  39. Ashley Edwards

Anderson – you're an inspiration. Wish I could go down there and actually help!

January 22, 2010 at 9:02 pm |
  40. Margie Taylor

Mr Cooper. Thank you and all who has been there helping, reporting and assisting in the Haiti Relief. But I am astonished that you are still reporting that the basic needs are not there yet-FOOD AND WATER! Yes, we all need to give money and keep giving money but are we hurting more than helping when the basic survival supplies are not there? There is so much devastation, yes, but do we really need to lose people to hungry and thirst when these basics have been gathered all over this land and country ready to reach the mouths of the people. What a tragedy that would be. Please, we MUST FEED THE PEOPLE!!

January 22, 2010 at 9:00 pm |
  41. Ancilee777

I'm watching the show now and it is so beautiful watching and listening to the incredible singers/songs that move my inner soul!! Tears are falling once again for Haiti!!!
    God Bless everyone involved in helping HAITI.God Bless HAITI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ancilee

January 22, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  42. Rachel

The country needs help. NOT short term help, long term help. I am of Haitian descent. The government caters to their own pockets. Throw them out, and give a voice to the people. The country can not fix the problems, they have proven that! The US needs to take them over ... toss the government out, build basic infrastructure, put Haitians to work, give the kids a future!

January 22, 2010 at 8:55 pm |
  43. Isabel - Brazil •

Hi Maureen!!!!

I'm watching 'Hope for Haiti Now "and is very cool.
    It's great to see AC and the rest of the 360 team so committed!
    The whole world together. Is beautiful to see!
    Every day people are being found alive! It's life being stronger than all!

AC360 team,
    a year ago I watch daily work of you, but these days, I could really understand why it's so good to be a fan of you!

January 22, 2010 at 8:55 pm |
  44. nadia Valentin

The horror is beyond words, I am a health care provider and I thought I had seen the worse until now. Through it all, Anderson Cooper, Dr. Gupta, and the CNN staff have been able to show a glimmer of light and hope in the mist of darkness. May God Bless you Anderson, Gupta, and along with all the CNN crew. On behalf of my people, I thank you.

January 22, 2010 at 8:51 pm |
  45. RLQFogarty

Andersen, thank you for reporting the facts about the situation in Haiti. You've really done excellent reporting. Through your reporting the world has learned a lesson I hope no one ever forgets. It is that each and every life has value and when a population of people are depleted down to the bone, every nation suffers. Working together to rebuild Haiti, and especially the Haitians themselves, will be our greatest investment. It will prove that nations CAN work together, hand in hand, for the benefit of the whole world. Today it's Haiti, tomorrow who knows, but together WE will make a difference.

January 22, 2010 at 8:51 pm |
  46. Tim Gibson

Even with the amount of aide in dollars, it almost feels unreal. Not only on the human side, but unreal in that it almost appears as if the disorganization is intentional.

January 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  47. Thanhhuong thi Nguyen

Hello every body, are you all watching HOPE FOR HAITI too?
    It's truly an act from the heart. On behalf of humantarian I would like to thank you so much to everyone on the show. Thank you for reinstalled the faith in me. Thank you.

January 22, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  48. Leslie M

Anderson, God bless you always for giving your whole heart to the people of Haiti. If not for you and the CNN, I would not have known or seen the destruction of my homeland. Thank you for your love, patience and compassion.

January 22, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  49. Kathleen

I can hardly wait to see this, AC we all love you in the Pacific Northwest and hope nothing but the best for you in Haiti please stay SAFE..... Thank you for doing such a GREAT job.

January 22, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  50. amy

God Bless Haiti and those who help them!
    We love you Anderson, Gupta and crews n co-workers.

January 22, 2010 at 8:15 pm |