January 22nd, 2010

Evening Buzz: Hope for Haiti

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/LIVING/01/13/haiti.earthquake.how.to.help/t1larg.haiti.agencies.aid.cnn.jpg caption="Agencies are asking for moslty monetary donations for relief efforts in Haiti, for many are still assessing the country's needs." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on 360°, Anderson will have the latest developments from Haiti.

He's also taking part in the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon, which airs from 8pm to 10pm ET on 25 networks including CNN. It's a star-studded event to help raise money for the victims of the earthquake. I'm watching them set up right now. I see a lot of big name Hollywood stars ready to take your call.

Haiti needs your help.

Tonight on the program we'll show you the potential health risks for the quake survivors. One public health agency reports there are about a million Haitians living in about 600 settlements. Tent cities, if you will. With so many people living so close together the conditions pose potentially serious health risks. Dr. Sanjay Gupta has the facts.

Meanwhile, Karl Penhaul is tracking the mass exodus out of Port-au-Prince. Aid officials estimate about 200,000 people have fled the capital.

We also have an update on the five-year-old boy, named Monley, who was pulled alive from the rubble on Wednesday. Anderson met Monley at General Hospital, where his uncle took him for care. The uncle and four of his friends dug Monley out with their barehands, no big equipment. It's believed Monley's parents died in the quake. Tonight, you'll see how Monley is doing now on day 10 of the disaster.

We also have updates on some of the orphans we've been telling you about, who have been lucky to be taken to the U.S., to live with their adoptive parents.

Join us for these stories and much more tonight on 360°.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Faubert St.Hubert

to Mr.anderson cooper DR.sanjay Mr.Larry king and all the cnn staff on behalf of all the family we say thank you very very much, but your job is not finish .We need a watchdog so you can see were all the money is going ,because all these politicians in Haiti are corrupt big time in other words they are croks Thanks again

January 24, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  2. Patty

Read Nahomie's message dated January 22'2010 that she mentioned she lost 15 members of her family and I wanted to tell her that my prayers are with her and everyone else that have lost their loved ones and may we give as much as we can to help those that have survived as they definitely need us as we need them.

Haitians are remarkable people and very strong so please as they did not give up for so many years let us show we cannot give up on them either. Together we are a very strong force and when you give love God always smiles upon us!

January 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  3. marie

Good Evening again,
    I feel the need to keep updating you on the concerns on that ground of Haiti, from the News Cast Around Haiti, Between there and the International area, the last time I emailed, I forgot to mention, that Canadians were loading up all kinds of Medications, including Antibiotics, I would like to inform you today, that a plane left Canada, with Medical Field Tents, alot of them. and if you or any Reporters, who are the only ones that know the needs, of the critical area, let the Nurses or Dr. know that this is available on the Ground there, because there is no co-oridination, if these tents got there they are probably still or will be sitting there, something for your reporters to look into, I am doing this because these stuff are being there to be used for the injuries, not to have them sit out in the feild, they are being needed. My help for comunications,

January 24, 2010 at 1:12 am |
  4. Jorge and Anamaria Restrepo

You four people (Cooper, Gupta, Tuchman and Watson):

You have done a spectacular job with this Haiti Relief Effort, the finest we have seen in our entire lives. We are sure you are bringing not only the best out of the people of this country but in the process you have changed people’s hearts too: the young, the old, the rich, the poor, blacks, whites, Orientals, Hispanics … in a few word: all of us. People want to help; people want to give when we witness that sea of suffering humanity. We think you have made us see the people of HAITI under a new light, creating in all a sense of hope for their future. We are sure many of us are in the process of crossing previously uncrossed boundaries because we trust in the authenticity of the leadership we’re seeing, and we now feel committed to help reconstruct HAITI into a newer, better country. Those beautiful people with that colorful and hopeful culture deserve it.

We were born Colombian so we know of the many struggles with social injustice and corruption endured by most developing countries; however, we also know of the overflow of goodness manifested in many of those peoples too. Now, as Americans, we have witnessed, one more time, through the work of you four, the huge capacity of America for helping and changing for the best people’s lives and we feel very proud about it.
    Again, thank you for making us feel part of this big world family.

January 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  5. Janet Deering

Hi Anderson
    You have been on the scene from the beginning and your heartfelt reports are bringing in money for the Haitians. Our country of Canada had a telethon last night and the people of Canada donated 60 million dollars. The country is matching what the people donated. Just to put it into perspective. We have just over 30 million in our whole population.

January 23, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  6. Rev Dan Dan

I want to tell you how we here in the states love they work you and sanjay and the rest of CNN reporters are letting us here who want to go there and help you all but not able do to the oness who want let us but you all are doing the job for us here letting us know they need all of our help with moneys to haiti and anderson me and my wife just love to watch you because we both know you are going to tell it like it is without telling us lies saying that its okey there THANK YOU so much in telling the people in the USA the real truth GOD BLESS YOU ALL and please be safe remember you all are in our prayers GOD BLESS YOU REV HERRING

January 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  7. Carole D. Perez

Anderson,
    You are such a remarkable human being , with a heart of gold.
    Watching you in Haiti with the children brought tears to my eyes.
    You are such an inspiration.
    The world would be a better place with more people like you.

January 23, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  8. Denise Barlow

Anderson, you are truly a blessing in disguise. And Dr Gupta is an angel. Thank you both as well as everyone who has worked on this story. Thank you for showing us images of tragedy and triumph. Of also showing us how strong the human spirit is despite all the horrors of this earthquake.

I so thankful to see the world as a whole coming together to help fellow human beings. God bless everyone who was and has been so giving.

Be safe and take care.

January 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  9. Wish

I never really cared much for Anderson or Sanjay but my respect for both of these brave men has gone through the roof. The night the UN Dr's pulled out, leaving Sanjay alone to care for the wounded, I cried in disbelief.
    Anderson is one of the bravest men I've ever seen but the day he dropped his camera to run to the aid of that little boy who'd been hit with a piece of cement and had blood running down his face, I witnessed true bravery and selflessness.
    I have no idea how either Anderson or Sanjay are able to witness such horror on a daily basis and not just sit down and cry or worse, give up, but these two men are my new heroes.
    Sanjay and Anderson, I pray God keeps you safe but thank you for your incredible dedication and selflessness.
    Stay safe and God bless you...we're all praying for you!

January 23, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  10. Danielle, AZ

Thank you for your tireless coverage. My heart is deeply touched by the plight of the people of Haiti – especially the children/orphans. We have seen the coverage of Monley and Little Johnny (in the "field hospital") along with the other desperate children. I know many people are reaching out to adopt which is wonderful but I would also like to encourage them to support the efforts of the orphanages in Haiti to provide immediate stability and comfort to these amazing children while family members are looked for. Do not give up on the idea of adoption in the long term as it has been and will now, more than ever, be greatly needed for these kids.

January 23, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  11. Michaelle

Anderson, Thank you again for being in Haiti, I have a feeling that this will not be your only trip. As I was watching Monley last night during the telethon, I noticed he kept coughing. He might need a chest XRay. There may be dust or other particulates deep in his lungs from being surrounded by dust so many days. Lead paint even, don't know the stats about type of paint used now or before in Haiti. What are the XRay capabilities in Haiti now? Much love.

January 23, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  12. ANONAX

YOU NOTICE THE GOVERNMENT LEADERS LOOK HEALTHY AND WELL FEED AND THE PEOPLE ARE ALL THIN AND HAVE NOTHING WE HAVE BEEN GIVEING HAITI AND ALL THOSE COUNTRYS IN THE AMERICAS AID NOW FOR 70 YEARS .NO HELP FOR THE PEOPLE.THEIR ALL DEMOCRATIC DICKTATORSHIPS.STUF THE BALLOT BOX MAKE SURE YOU GET ELECTED TAKE AMERICAN AID STEAL IT FOR YOURSELVES AND YOUR FRIENDS SPEND THE REST ON YOUR MILITARY AND POLICE SO YOU CAN ABUSE THE PEOPLE AND CONTROL THEM.THEN WHEN THERS A CRISIS LOOK TO THE GOOD WILL OF THE WORLD THEN START THE SAME CYCLE OVER AGAIN. ARE PEOPLE BLIND

January 23, 2010 at 6:39 am |
  13. Saba Hussain

I think my words cannot express the gratitude and appreciation I feel towards Dr. Gupta and AC for their work in Haiti. I'm a medical school student studying for my boards and someday I hope to get out there and do the work my moral and religious values have taught me to. I have compassion for the life of all humanity and the doctor in me would love to heal and share in the happiness of other people's lives.
    AC I love you for what u do especially when u carried the bleeding boy across the barrier on the day of that looting. And Dr. Gupta I m going to try to get rotations with u:) take care and thank u soo much.

January 23, 2010 at 5:09 am |
  14. Marilyn Tbeur

Dear Anderson Cooper, you are doing a fantastic job in Haiti! Dr Gupta is a true Dr, who shows so much love and care for his patients, and I wish I had him as my Doctor here in KC. This devastation is so unbelievable, I still cannot comprehend! Mr Cooper, I saw this little boy who was hit by a slab of concrete, and I was devastated! My heart hurt so badly for that little boy! I could not believe my eyes, even after the distruction, some looter almost killed that little boy. Actually Mr Cooper, you took the little boy and ran with him, and passed him over to some other people. I would like to know where that little boy is, and how he's doing! It is great that so many countries are assisting Haiti in this horrible devastation, especially the USA. My son is there on the Navy Ship Carter Hall, and I pray for his safety, and all who are assisting Haiti in this time of need. May God bless you and your CNN crew, (and keep you safe) and everyone involved in this world tragedy, (as this is a world tragedy) and my continued prayers to all the people of Haiti and abroad. I have so much to write, but I know it is impossible right now. Keep up the fantastic work you're doing!

January 23, 2010 at 4:34 am |
  15. Josuela Y Verna

Hi, Anderson. You are a true Hero, for the humanitarian works you're doing in Haiti. I also consider your colleagues, Gary Tuchman, Ivan Watson, and Dr. Sanjay Gupta as Heroes. I pray God to keep me alive, to see you guys nominated , and receive an Award as Heroes of the year, at the end of 2010. And I plan to vote also. God Bless you all, and be safe.

January 23, 2010 at 3:01 am |
  16. Cheri

Thought Hope for Haiti Now was phenomenal success. Hope they raised big bucks. CNN has the best coverage on Haiti crisis. Can't get enough of Anderson or Sanjay. Keep up the good work. Wish I could be there to help.

January 23, 2010 at 2:30 am |
  17. Lori

As hard as it has been to watch Anderson, Sanjay, Ivan, and Gary for the past 10 days, tonight Anderson hit the nail on the head when he read is reporters notebook...."every person's pain deserves to be known"...it so explains why I can not tear myself away from CNN each evening no matter how tired I am. Every person's story deserves to be heard, their pain deserves to be known, and their world deserves to be seen. Thank you CNN reporters for doing this for us. Thank you for not letting the stories and lives be forgotten. I know you will keep the attention on Haiti for as long as it needs to heal and be rebuilt. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Take care of yourselves, be well, and be safe. God bless you.

January 23, 2010 at 2:28 am |
  18. Favilla .

Anderson I can' t thank you enough for what you doing in Haiti for my people
    May God bless you.

January 23, 2010 at 1:24 am |
  19. Johanna

Anderson,
    Not only do you articulate what is going on in Haiti in such a heartfelt way, but it makes me feel that I am right there with you experiencing the devastation. Thank you for telling us here in Canada the truth, which is that the Haitian people are suffering. Only we have the power to change that.

Haitians deserve to be heard, and because of you it's finally happening.

Johanna

January 23, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  20. Roy ,Texas

God Bless Anderson and his crew for a job well done. It was great seeing little Monley. Anerderso deserves the C.N.N hero award for putting you life in danger to help that boy out the other night Cheers from Texas Just Gained a new fan to Anderson Cooper 360

January 23, 2010 at 1:20 am |
  21. Reggie King

Haiti was a poor suffering country before the earthquake. Where was all the outpouring of support and concern for these people before this tragic disaster? People were suffering daily for years prior to this event. Haiti is tragically one of the poorest countries in the western hemisphere.

Why have I not seen any tv interviews of the political leaders of Haiti? What are they doing during this crisis? I'd like to hear from them.

The leadership of Haiti and the politics between Haiti and other countries is one of the reasons this county is so poor. This political situation is one of the reasons this natural disaster will have such a devasting effect on the people of Haiti.

January 23, 2010 at 12:58 am |
  22. Dave

The people of Haiti seem very strong and able to adapt, they should be proud of their countrymen. I am proud of them just watching on TV. What if a disaster like this happened in the US, what would we be like.? Wonderful job CNN

January 23, 2010 at 12:33 am |
  23. Christi

God bless you Anderson for all you do & all the people in Haiti! Seeing Monley on t.v brought tears to my eyes & breaks my heart~ Reading information on how to adopt a child from Haiti says will take up to a year or longer, some of the children may not last a year or longer if not in a safe home with food/water & health care. Hope to see information that the adoption process changes and can be done a lot faster in the near future!

January 23, 2010 at 12:26 am |
  24. Emmanuel

As I type this in tears. I am a Haitian American Disabled US Veteran I feel helpless and wish I was back in the Army so I could be in Haiti. I would like to thank Mr. Cooper and DR Gupta. Haiti will always have a debt to the both of you for the work you have done. May the Lord protect you and bless my Dear Haiti L union Fait La Force.

January 23, 2010 at 12:24 am |
  25. Nicholas , Queens , NY

On behalf of all haitians .We say Thank You !

To the whole World and To CNN and all their crews , specially AC, dr. Sanjay, Gary , Ivan. You are our Heroes and because of you , We will find our strength to go on .Once again , Thanks for your love and support.

The People of Haiti LOVE you!!!

January 23, 2010 at 12:23 am |
  26. Vince

Great job by your crew!! God Bless.

Boston, MA

January 23, 2010 at 12:16 am |
  27. Ana Clark

Anderson,

Keep strong! I know this can be emotionally devastating for you, also. I pray for your own health and well being. We love you!

January 23, 2010 at 12:15 am |
  28. mireille

Thank you Hollywood stars, CNN, World renowned musicians,
    Your good wishes for us Haitians were heartwarming,You have shown us your cares,you felt our pain,& heard our cries. your music will help mend your souls,& hearts.Your money will help us rebuild our beautiful country. where you will always have a place in our hearts, our minds,our home. We haitians stand together to express our sincere thanks,our gratitude, our love for all of you. We salute you for standing with us,and making us feel almost human.

January 22, 2010 at 11:55 pm |
  29. Claudine

To A. Cooper, Dr. S. Gupta, Ivan, Gary, Chris, Larry King, the whole 360 crew and CNN as a whole:

I, and all the other Haitians I know, do thank you all, from the bottom of our heart, for your awesome work!!
    BRAVO!!!

I do believe in miracles and you are miracle workers. Your altruism and perseverance show that the coverage of that devastation in Haiti was not just a job. Watching you all, I could only feel blessed. Just like all these rescue teams, medical staff from around the world, and my fellow Haitians in Haiti, you are all heroes!!

Last Monday, and again tonight, the poor and forgotten of Haiti were being helped by Hollywood celebrities... Is this a sign of the times?? Thanks to Mr. King, Wyclef and George Clooney, I feel this whole week (even though immensely tragic) had a flavor of Christmas!! The wisemen came bringing gifts... Miracles came pouring: a baby, an old woman, a young man were rescued from under the rubbles, alive after 10 days!!!

Thank you, thank you so much!!!

An nou pa blye Haiti! (Let's not forget Haiti)

Rebuilding will take time...
    "Let's keep them Honest!!"

In AWE, still, and feeling amazingly hopeful 🙂
    Claudine

January 22, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  30. Cheryl

I just want to commend Anderson Cooper and Dr Gupta for their true efforts with helping in their way Haiti! I truly have never been so impressed by two people as these two. They are incredible human beings! Both have brought tears to my eyes in their compassion and caring in doing what they do! Thank you both for being the type of human beings you have been since this terrible tragedy has happened. You both have shown your true colors and what wonderful colors they have been! Thank you!

January 22, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  31. beverly pierre

we love u anderson cooper and sanjay .you guys are heroes. we will never have money to pay you.but accept ours remerciment sincerly... god bless u guys. in united we stand...... peace and love.one love.

January 22, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  32. Susie Aronson

Anderson Cooper, you amaze me. You are providing us with such a window into the world in Haiti, and we can share and feel your empathy and your frustration, and your sympathy, and compassion .

I deeply appreciate all you and the folks you have with you
    have done for the unfortunate but wonderful people of Haiti. This has been unbelieveably catastrophic, and all the energy, and sleepless hours you have all spent, and continue to spend to not only provide us with updated events, but also all you are each doing in your own personal ways to help is amazing....

God Bless you and give you continued strength to do all you do.
    Anderson Cooper, you are a great newsman,because you walk the walk and are the voice for those who cannot speak.

January 22, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  33. Ava

just watched Hope for Haiti was so touched by the children, no mother no father to answer their cries, i would want somebody to look after and love my babies if i was gone, thank you for showing us this.

January 22, 2010 at 11:09 pm |