January 21st, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/21/10

Tonight on 360°, gunfire and chaos in Haiti over five bags of rice. Plus, a look at the what's happening to Haiti's orphans. And, a Supreme Court ruling that could have a major impact on November's mid-term elections.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lauren B.

Dear Anderson, Sanjay, Gary, Ivan,

You have been absolutely superb with your reporting. I appreciate and love you for what you have sacrificed to be and stay in Haiti.

I am so frustrated by the lack of ccordination. They need Project Managers there!

January 21, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  2. niwat kurusattra, chicago

@Carmelle Jersey City, The President of Haiti seems to be deeply delusional. He is deserved to be banned on international recognizing communities such as UN since he neglected to address his responsibility as the country's presidency to its citizen.

January 21, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Vicki

The little boy Johnny caught my attention-hoes a person find out about adopting him who do I get in toch with,I am willing to take care of even if his parents or relitives are found

January 21, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Sarah Craan

Just wanted to say those Twin Doctors are heos everyday. Even before the earthquake that is all they do is care for the poor for free. Thanks Dr. Gupta for those supplies you were able to give them.
    God Bless!

January 21, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Valerie NYC

Great editing of the orphans video ...

January 21, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Emily

That's great to see Dr. Gupta there at the Airport!

What an experience they are all having there. They are doing the best to help out all these people, complete strangers!
    I hope that they are staying safe!

January 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Lori

I think that all of this coverage from Haiti is a testiment to the need for all cities/agencies to develop an emergency plan before the emergency occurs.

January 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "Until Hatians decide to end the rampant corruption in their country, Haiti will remain a failed state limping along on foreign aid."

You are absolutely right! In addition to that I get turned off by charities supported by celebrities. They are only there to get free publicity. There is something unsavory about that.

January 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Donna

Truely a great job Anderson. Please let us know the outcome of the senior citizens @ nursing home reported on yesterday. Horrible story. A positive report would be welcomed.

January 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Michelle

Team 360 please continue to bring us stories that
    let people know what is going in different places
    in Haiti. Information about who, what and where
    is vital.

January 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Michael Barton

Can anyone there in Haiti give me some idea if doctors are still needed? I was on the mission with Gov. Rendell Monday to deliver supplies and bring the orphans back to Pittsburgh and have an opportunity to come help for four days starting Sunday. Am I needed, or are just supplies needed?

January 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  12. David, Indiana

Stick with substance, no the President can't turn away from Health Care Reform. Health care reform needs to be better communicated. How will it work for employers, not just the fines and fees, what's reasonably expected to happen?

@Isabel Yes, a terrible moment. But the passersby may have been frightened or intimidated. That shooting seems very unusual, suspicious.

I only know a little about adoption, but parents go through so much to adopt a child, thank God that little girl could be with her mother and go home with her.

January 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Sabrena

I have a seismologist question: Is it normal for aftershocks to still be coming ten days after the initial earthquake?? This seems very strange to me. My husband lived in CA for years and he saw a few earthquakes, but the aftershocks all happened relatively soon after the initial one. It almost seems like nature's way of a warning of some sort....maybe the person above was right...we should get as many ppl out of there as possibe; including our journalists!!!

January 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Robert Lake,MI

why dont they bring the people that can to the supplies while teams of medical teams go out to the injured?

January 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Gary Tuchman hit the nail on the head, there is no plan.

January 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  16. David Gergen

Hello again - Delighted to see how grateful so many of you are tonight to Anderson, Sanjay and the rest of the CNN team in Haiti. And to see how frustrated you are that medical supplies and other aid are not getting to people fast enough - none of us can understand why it is so difficult to get things thru!

Also very much appreciate our comments about President Obama. He and his team would be well served by reading them.

January 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Emily

Great news from the story by Gary Tuchman!
    Glad to hear that this home is getting so much needed help!

January 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Isabel - Brazil •

Great men together! It's good to see them together!

Congratulations on your incredible dedication and hard work of you!

January 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  19. layocarva

Thank you guys, Anderson and your team have been unique, your human, respectful and caring news, had changed the course of this tragedy. Without you, there were business as usual: the Red Cross, the Army and other burocrats fighting for authority and being territorial while people suffer and die out there. Because you are watching and reporting, they are moving to do their jobs. How much of the donated money goes to the managers' salaries and expenses?

thanks, thanks

January 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Dodie, Irvine CA

It is a very sad day for Americans with the Supreme court ruling!

January 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Kay

I saw you and Dr. Gupta tonight showing him walking into the airport and back off with medical supplies. Why can't those soldiers get those supplies out of the airport and to the Drs.?

January 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  22. opal

i think this situation gives a new meaning to unity all over the world...god bless haiti...

January 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  23. A. Smith, Oregon

Good night AC360, and the CNN Staff and fellow bloggers, I'll head back over to LKL, thank-you.

January 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

By organizing, 'volunteering' people, getting out the vote, labor unions have provided unlimited de facto 'donations' to mostly Democratic campaigns. Now the scales are balanced.

January 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gary Tuchman rocks on!!!!!!! I am glad she is already adopted new daughter Jenna!!! She is so special heart place new home in Denver. 🙂

January 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Michelle S-Michigan

John.... I know the feeling... I'm on disability and my son and i donated $100 and it upsets me that its in a tent. Why should I donate the other $100 we have tomorrow night??? I've been an emt for 20 years til someone smashed into my ambulance so i know how desperate these people are for medical help.....drives me crazy....

January 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Valerie

I'm so tired of hearing of the lack of supplies, Enough of the delays, if you can't fly it in, drive it in, bike it in, WALK it in if necessary just get it done. To all the powers at be. Just Get It Done!!! Help those trying to help, PLEASE!!

January 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Thanhhuong thi Nguyen

Maybe I am too sensitive? Ican't stop crying by looking at those victims on TV. And I'll keep begging GOD until he granted my wish. And my wish is to be able to go to Haiti on my own account.

January 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Sarah Pierre

Keep up the good work Anderson, Dr. Gupta, Ivan and the rest of the CNN team! Be safe

January 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  30. pat

I was so impressed with AndersonCooper and Dr. Sunjay Gupta today when i saw the Dr. go the airport and get medication so desperately needed by the Drs. and nurses trying to help the badly hurt people in Haiti. I have to also say if it was that go and do it again and again. It will not hurt my feelings one iota if i do not see you reporting if I know that you can do so much moreto help the children by getting medical supplies to those hurt, crying, hysterial children. Please help those children that are in so much pain! Please, please go back again and again. They need you more than the viewers do!!!

January 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  31. charlie

The US takes another huge leap away from democracy as a principle of one person one EQUAL vote. Goldman Sacks paid $16Bn dollars in bonuses, rather than $20Bn planned. Now they can use the $4Bn to get politians they like elected.

January 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Glen

Amazing how Dr Gupta can get access to needed Med supplies on a US controlled Haiti airport but no one else can. Tents and tents full of supplies but he as an American with can can walk right in and out with them. What's going on?

January 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Carole

You chronicled the problem about all the orphans in Haiti.
    Many parents have lost their sons and daughters. Is there a way to match the orphans with adoptive parents/parent ? I see this as a solution to a huge problem. I consider matching grieving children with grieving parents as a way to keep the Haitian society whole and to start the healing process. What do you think?

January 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  34. Patty

I agree with the idea of walking the supplies in if they can't drive them in. At least they wouldn't just be sitting there.

January 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

@Gary Tuchman

Great report on the orphange. Your work is excellent, as always.

God bless Elizabeth & ALL of the new parents who have adopted the Haitian orphans!

And, special thanks to our State Dept. for expediting adoptions that were already in progress.

January 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Michelle

Thank you Gary Tuchman for the heart-warming story
    about Jenna. That is great news. I plan to tune in and
    watch the benefit tomorrow night. Me and some friends
    are organizing a gathering.

January 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Carmelle Jersey city, NJ

Good evening Mr. Cooper and CNN Staff,

Please sound the trumpet on the Haitian President Rene Preval for not addressing his people since the disaster. He has given tons of interviews but no speech to the people of Haiti...I am not surprised...but I am disappointed. I was hoping that the situation in Haiti would help these Haitian politician s to grow a conscience and start caring about the people and not their pocket.

January 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  38. Iris Diaz

Anderson,

Where are the rich people of Haiti? Money gives you more alternatives and opportunities. That I can understand, but I wonder if medical care and how they spend their days and nights is just as horrible for the rich as for the poor.

January 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  39. LisaL - Canada

it is too bad they can't move the elderly and the orphans together (or can they?) - the elderly probably feel useless and the children feel alone and scared as the caregivers have such little time to spare individually

these poor babies starving, and some with their limbs cut off with hacksaws to save their lives might, JUST MIGHT, feel a bit of comfort surrounded by the presence of the elderly - cultures who embrace their extended families do so FOR A REASON - the sounds of children's laughter can be healing

January 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  40. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I hate to say it, but most of the donations to Haiti will be to no avail in the long term. Until Hatians decide to end the rampant corruption in their country, Haiti will remain a failed state limping along on foreign aid.

January 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Renee

Let's think about the men working at the site trying to find the bodies and giving these kids a proper burial. They are good men, honorable men, just doing the right thing by these children.

January 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Isabel - Brazil •

This is very beautiful and touching!

January 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  43. charlie

Wow Sanjay. That walk to through the airport should win you an award. Understaed common sense in journalism a rare feature.

January 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  44. Nikki

I'm watching the AC 360 story of Dr. Gupta going to Haiti airport to retrieve medical supplies. Some red tape is understandable when those distributing supplies must verify those asking for it, BUT couldn't this be as simple as having a truckload of armed marines with medical supplies FOLLOW Dr. Gupta to the hospitals he's shown recently? Why wait for red tape? Dr. Gupta and other journalists on the ground know where critical need is and have been pleading for supplies while broadcasting from many hospitals. Please consider this option before the situation grows even worse. TAKE aid TO the people.

January 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  45. Dodie, Irvine CA

People do not have lobbyists while corporations do. The lobbyists have gone under ground... either deregistering or not registering at all so they can give contributions to our politicians. Even the most honest politicians will have difficulties not accepting money!

January 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Kettyna, FLorida

I am trying to volunteer for a week or so but no organization will take a "resident-green card holder" with them. I am tired of watching my people suffer. If you know of anyone or any organization that I could volunteer and help in Haiti please let me know.

January 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Donna

all at Cnn are doing an excellent job in haiti!! Thank you. It is heart wrenching to see the children suffering so much. I want to take them all home

January 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Emily

Kids are so resilient!
    There is nothing like a tragedy to bring it out in them.

January 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    This is breaking heart to see many orphanage children losing parents and family, They need to find place for them and I hope they need adopted children to care after earthquake. I want to say thank you for reporting about orphanage children.... You're my hero. 🙂

January 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Evena from Rhode Island

Helo Mr. Anderson, Dr. Gupta,
    I just want to let you know that you all did such a wonderful job in Haiti. Thank you and the whole CNN team for giving us live updates on my country.

January 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |