January 21st, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/21/10

Tonight on 360°, gunfire and chaos in Haiti over five bags of rice. Plus, a look at the what's happening to Haiti's orphans. And, a Supreme Court ruling that could have a major impact on November's mid-term elections.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. John

Why doesn't the US military take buses of supplies out to the places that need it the most?? The only way it seems you get help is by taking Anderson Cooper and camera man with you. This is ridiculous. Thanks for showing me where $275.00 is right now. In a tent at the airport.

January 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Meherzaidi

CNN is doing such a good job highlighting issues in Haiti. The reason these problems and issues link and seem so real to all of us are that they are universal. When we had the earthquake in Pakistan 2005, we saw the issues first hand. It is so important now in modern lifestyles to incorporate disaster network and infrastructure, and survival strategies as a basic training to all kids and people. We should all work to incorporate disaster management training as part of school and basic learning curriculum.We should make networks for same.

January 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@A. Smith, Martha Coakley's negative ads were such obvious lies they actually drove people to vote for Brown. Brown did not respond in kind and voters rewarded him for it.

January 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Gerard Mc Ardle, Drogheda & Belfast, Ireland

We should hold a march in all the big cities of the world to show our disgust at what is happening in Haiti...& to shake the UN out of it's foundation with our voices. & John Holmes is the coordinator for aid at the UN so where is he in all this? .The UN let the people of Burma down when "Cyclone Nargis" hit...& they're repeating the same in Haiti. It's criminal.

Good on you & your team, Anderson, keep with the people there, till there is a result on the medical issue!

January 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Heather - Spokane, WA

You would think that hearing the crying of the children in the hospitals and seeing pictures the people injured or starving would make everyone that is there to help do as much as humanly possible to get out to those people and help them by bringing food and water and medical supplies. Its torture for me just to watch everyone suffer and not being able to do anything to help ease their suffering

January 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  6. A. Smith, Oregon

Perhaps this issue will be revisited after one of the super conservative republican placed Supreme's steps down or is replaced by President Obama, one can only hope. The present ruling totally removes 'We the People' from any fair and unbiased chance of being represented. Its crass corruption of America's democracy.

January 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama is willing to talk to corrupt countries like Iran and North Korea "without conditions," but refuses to sit down and negotiate with the Republicans.

January 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Emily

What about coropartaions that are no American?
    If they have offices in America, yet are owned by say, China, does that matter? I have not read this decision, so sorry for my question!

It's just that so many corporations have relocated! (or the ownership has!)

January 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

So, corporations can spend money to run ads for the candidate of their choice – and special interest groups it sounds like too. Between the ads from the corporations, the special interest groups (like NRA, and the environmental groups, etc), and the candidates there may not be much time left to run regular programming. I'd like to see less commercials especially political ones not more.

January 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Renee

This babies and kids show is really upsetting. The more I see these guys in Haiti the more I get upset with all the suffering.

January 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Iris Diaz

Good Evening Everyone

Maybe things aren't working the way we want to and what the international community is doing is not working to our satisfaction, but the United States, other countries and people from all over the world are doing an incredible job to help this poor nation. There is no excuse for the lack of action from the president of Haiti. How can you call yourself the president of a nation when the people you represent lives on less than a dollar a day? He doesn't

January 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Jaime Sanabria

Hi Anderson I just want to comment that the US Navy has
    a Navy base in Ceiba Puerto Rico, that it is not in use
    and has a big Hospital fully equiped that can be used for the
    Haiti pepole, Can you find out about this Navy Base
    that it is not used by no one. Thank You

January 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Michelle S-Michigan

Thanhhuong thi Nguyen: Maybe thats the answer. If people say they don't want to donate anymore money, maybe our government will take notice and get this med and food out...someone please.....give us an answer as to what all of us can do....Theres power in numbers and we care so much.....

January 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Nancy, British Columbia, Canada

If everyone working at the airport took one box and walked it to whereever it needed to go, the supplies would be ... at least moving out to the people where it is needed!! Sanjay can't do it alone!

January 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  15. Claus

@Mr Gergen,
    Perhaps you could explain that corporations are political also. A major corporation will be very careful in blatantly supporting one candidate over another. As you know, currently funds from individual corporations are divided among candidates. Corporate executives know the downside to fully supporting a candidate who then doesn't win. We are getting carried away here.

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Lynn Ann Berner

According to Doctors Without Borders there is a 10-12 day waiting list at many of the medical clinics set up in and around Port Au Prince. As of yesterday the USNS Comfort is anchored off Haiti's shore prepared to serve as many as 1,000 patients. If when dealing with critical injuries the need to respond is within minutes and hours, why is it taking days to get the injured onto the USNS Comfort?

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Patty

Thanks AC360 crew for such great reports from Haiti!

Now what do do about the 1000's of orphans. If something is not done soon, they will die. We all know it. I realize they can't just be jerked out of the country and given to strangers, but my husband and I would be willing to take at least 2. We have adopted twice before, which means a current homestudy & backgound check. We would also not need any government subsidy. How can we get into the system for those babies who have no one and need help now. I have been looking for answers all week. I keep thinking of that 5 month old with menengitis, at the Isreali field hospital. He has no one.........who will care for him?

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  18. starr formerly known as vincent

I am Verry disappointed in the Supreme Court decision today!!

Corporations are NOT people. They often don't even have their home offices in the US! And, they are the ones NOT hiring Americans.

I truly hope that Congress will pass more laws reversing the Court decision today.

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Renee

I wish the Supreme Court would ban ROBO calls!

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Dodie, Irvine CA

This will be a corporate owned government?

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Vince

Anderson – my heart goes out to the orphans which have drastically increased in Haiti due to the earthquake and are not in any process of adoption. What will be their fate for the long term? I am a child sponsor and think this is one way that we can all help by giving support and love into their lifes on the long term. The need will be very great !

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Michelle in Oregon

@david G.
    I was a union rank and file member for 20 years. I never liked the unions right to endorse a candidate...I understand the reasons but the union is not representing every individual.

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  23. A. Smith, Oregon

I can't imagine how many more smear video's and tacky campaign ad's that will pour out of corporate offices attempting to move their puppet into the US Congress or US Senatorial position. The payoff is huge if they succeed.

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Kiawnna Coberly

Send money we are told, the best thing we can do is send money so supplies can be brought in.... Sorry, but I have to ask, what good is that if the supplies sit at the airport because someone is unwilling to step up and create a distribution system? How hard is it?

CNN, your doing a great job, please keep asking the hard questions and don't stop until you get straight answers

January 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Dodie, Irvine CA

So the corporations can spend until they ask for Bail-outs? and then spend on campaigning again. NO regulations? This has serious implications.

January 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Ilya- Connecticut

We might as well call America "America Inc." at this point. If corporations are paying for attack ads, then who really elects the people in washington? Clearly its not the people anymore. Might as well take the Constitution and turn it into a fire starter seeing as the government is no longer "by the people."

January 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Michelle

Thank goodness for FaceBook and YouTube
    the people can have a way of getting into
    politics without having to spend millions in
    wake of the SCOTUS. Hasn't this law been
    around for like a century.

January 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Emily

This new ruling on Campaign cash during elections is going to be interesting!
    I wonder if it can & will backfire on them?

January 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  29. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I am so appreciative of all of those who have gone to Haiti to help. Lots of great groups and individuals. Thank you!

January 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  30. A. Smith, Oregon

A dark day for the future Democracy in America thanks entirely to The Supreme Court 5 republican placed jurists. Corporations can now spend unlimited cash on behalf of their selected puppet to gain political favors and favoritism.

January 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Barbara

The American people who have donated millions of money to aid Haiti need an explanation! A WH appointee is supposed to be leading this aid. Why are the supplies not getting where they need to be. And why are the 1000s of military troops our taxes are paying for not getting involved in control of the situation or delivering supplies or doing anything. This appears to be a typical government run screw up. And all of us could continue to contribute dollars to this cause if we could see some results! Can't some CNN reporters push for answers from the WH. Don't any WH staff members watch Anderson and Sanjay every night and see the issues.

January 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Candace

Anderson and Dr. Gupta, your coverage is tremendous and I want to thank you for your tireless commitment in bringing the reality of this tragic Haiti situation to us. The shooting of those boys today over bags of rice is almost more than I can take, and there are no words to convey the frustration and helplessness I feel from where I sit in NYC. Be well and stay strong as you brave your days there to keep bringing us these stories.

January 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Emily

@ Thanhhuong thi Nguyen

"I am boiling over the "rice and gunfire"."

It's such a disturbing story! and there is no accountability there!
    It's such a helpless & very frustrating feeling watching this...I can't imagine what it's like being there.

January 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

"Why does Obama have to keep demonizing someone?"

To take the focus off of himself.

January 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I think you all should evacuate Haiti because those are not just after shocks; those are warnings!

January 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Renee

@ Mike 10:29: Great comment on leadership. A leader steps up and brings people together not apart. A leader does not step aside.

January 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Liam

jobs will come everything takes time and it wont happen over night. and that goes for health care as well. I agree with an earlier statement that obama gets done now what he can get done and if he has too return later then that is what he must do

January 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  38. A. Smith, Oregon

President Obama should pass a bill to fly Americans currently unemployed but willing to work in construction to Port au Prince to help in the rebuilding projects there like CCC camps did in America during the depression era!

January 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  39. June - in GA

Anderson, Dr Gupta, other reporters and staff – Thank you for all the great reporting on Haiti!

Yes, life goes on here in the USA, but I feel this disaster needs more coverage right now. Politics are going to be here forever, so the change in Mass. doesn't make much difference. It's a done deal now. Haiti is an on-going disaster and is still a life or death issue for many.

January 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Jo Ann, "Obama's inexperience and naïveté are beginning to show."

You are so right. I really believe he has no clue, largely because he entered office with zero executive experience. He can't lead because he never has.

January 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  41. D..J.

My thoughts and prayers are with Anderson and all in Haiti right now and people suffering so much.
    I wish people in our country (leaders) could work together for the good of our people more than working for the good of themselves.

January 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  42. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

No organization for distributing supplies or helping the people. @Anderson, just how does this compare to the situation in NOLA after katrina? Were WE prepared? (sorry about the caps) xo

January 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Dave

Anderson Cooper and Dr. Gupta thank you for keeping us informed on the Haiti situation. We can only hope the situation will start to improve. You guys are doing an excellent job under the extreme conditions. Keep up the good work!

January 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Cornelia

It is sad watching the children effected. I have 3 of my own and we would like to help send supplies to the children. Is there a direct way for us to mail to the make shift pediatric wards? Any addresses??

January 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  45. starr formerly known as vincent

I believe that Banking reform is vital! Pres. Obama has been working on new regulations long before the announcement today.

I also believe that Health Care Refom is vital. I am hopeful that a clearer version of the bill will be passed. We really need it!

And, people have a short memory. Much of the problems we have now we inherited from 8 yrs. of the previous administration. Pres. Obama has had one year to address a casscading multitude of problems. I still believe, that if the Republicans will stop being the party of No, good things can be done for this country.

January 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@ Thanhhuong thi Nguyen
    That's right! You have good point taken! I agree!

January 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Valerie NYC

The screams of the young girl who had both legs broken in the earthquake still torment me. They will continue to torment me days to come. I can not stress how important this coverage is. Shocking and honest to the core. You guys are doing an amazing, extraordinary job. I salute you all!

January 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  48. judy kennedy

I don't understand why countries can't do what they did here in Australia a few years ago. They air lifted plane loads of people from Bosnia to Australia. This could be done for Haitai.

January 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Thanhhuong thi Nguyen

I want my money back. I rather use the money to buy RICE and send it to Haiti.

January 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Emily

I'm surprised it took Obama so long to say something about the banks, financial system!

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

"A leader doesn't stay 'hands off' A leader gets involved."

Agreed! Could not have said it better myself!

January 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm |