January 20th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/20/10

Eight days after the quake hit, another survival is found alive in Haiti. And, desperate to leave. See how some Haitians are trying to escape Port-au-Prince. Plus, the raw politics of the GOP Senate victory in Massachusetts. What does it mean for the Democrats seeking health care reform?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Claus

Goodnight, Anderson.

Claus and Cindy.

January 20, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Sara, Tampa FL

@danielle Those ships are seated so high off the water out in deep seas. They cannot safely be boarded from the water

January 20, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Mike

The coverage of Haiti is award winning. Its obvious the Haiti govt does not care about its people. The less that survive the better.....Talk about kicking a can down the road, we get it, a Republican won the seat. If I wanted to listen to same political opinion over and over again I would have tuned into FOX.

January 20, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  4. charlie

If MA is the tip of the iceberg then maybe the US is in fact sinking. China is certainly forging ahead. Obama induced support for the US abroad will quickly wane if the republicans come back to the fore..

January 20, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Isabel - Brazil •

@Starr

I read that the French president wanted to meet with President Obama and President Lula (Brazil) to take them ahead of the situation, but I feel governments are fearful of such an attitude.

January 20, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Vince

With all these after shocks it apears to be safer on water than on land.

January 20, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Teresa

Anderson and Dr. Sanjay Gupta – please continue to show your humanitarian sides and ignore the criticism of you being step out of bound as journalists. Please don't get burned out and stay safe. Your family and viewers need you at home as well. God bless!

January 20, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Kathie

Anderson...who is in charge!!!! I just can't believe or accept those people are suffering so.
    Please....keep reporting on the sheer stupidity of the lack of organization and compassion..
    All of these celebrities raising money is nice...but they have a more powerful voice...access to tv and radio...someone needs to be accountable
    i think a bunch of PTA moms could have organized this better, and believe me that airport would be used for supplies and medical personel...not politicians and their selfish photo-ops.
    Keep up the good work...we'll keep following your blogs
    God Bless

January 20, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Berttie

As a nation, if this is the best that we can do to get medical supplies into Haiti., Then god have mercy on us all. No one should ever have to suffer like this.

January 20, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Valerie NYC

Great segment on the "boat people" by Ivan Watson. Haitians have the boat people burden, always running away from some sort of disaster or simply wanting to leave the misery of their country behind. Who can blame them now?

January 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Emily

@Judy S. (Midwest),

Thanks for sharing your story here with us.

I hope that you get a response to your question.
    I think what you have done and what you want to do is terrific!

January 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  12. A. Smith, Oregon

Where is the fleets of heavy equipment that is desperately needed? American taxpayers have previously given hundreds of millions for economic aid, how can they have zero fleets of bulldozers and heavy equipment that is desperately needed now?

January 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Renae

Our military delivers convoys to our troops in volatile parts of the world... why can't they start delivering some of the medical supplies that have been donated? I find it hard to believe our military especially can't provide "security detail." I know the need is massive and it is going to take time to get to everyone, but it just seems so awful.

January 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  14. John

The US must act as the sole superpower left in the world, and assume power of Haiti immediately. Watching this chaos day after day is mind boggling. Help is THERE, help is on the way, but no plan or leader is oordinating a plan. We must take over. No questions asked.

January 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Jeanne

Anderson, I too am frustrated by the lack of medical supplies to the hospital and patients in desperate need. Can you take a crew to the airport and uncover the "hold up." Is someone waiting for payment of these supplies? Also, I do believe we give aide to Haiti, where does the money go, certainly doesn't look like the general public of Haiti benefit from anything. Is anyone accountable to any of the foreign aide we give year after year? Nice palace.

January 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Julie

To A.C and Dr. Sanjay, keep up the good work and for keeping us up to date with the conditions in Haiti.

January 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Bob

I have been watching the response for a week now and do not understand why we can't get the supplies to the people that need them. I'm a retired federal fire chief and feel that we have the wrong people in charge of the distribution chain. Maybe a few good fire chiefs that understand emergency response could do alot of good for the people of Haiti. It is such a shame that the supplies are there at the airport but we can't seem to get them to the places that they are needed in a timely fashion.

January 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Isabel - Brazil •

@Megan

Today I read that the forecast of a journalist it was 60 years to total rebuild in Haiti, due to poverty of the country.

60 years? I hope he is wrong, totally wrong!

January 20, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I hope everything go well with the ferry.

January 20, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  20. michelle

My take on the ambassador and the president of haiti seem as if they should abdicate immediately..and pass power to General Honoure

January 20, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Ishmael Francois

The folks that are in critical condition, the ophans, the elders MUST be evacuated out of the city. This is only going to get worse especially with the supplies moving so slowly to the people in need.

January 20, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think Mass is just the tip of the iceberg.

January 20, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  23. charlie

So strange and selfish that one of the few states that has universal health care (thanks in large part ot Ted Kennery) should be the one to derail such a basic expectation in a developed country, for the rest of the US.

January 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  24. lori

Hi Anderson
    why don't you move your team to the airport and report what's going on at the airport and why supply isn't moving from airport to the town.
    If you guys find out why and report it to the world the people in charge will take care of it and the supply will flow to the town, like the field hospital left by the UN doctors, you covered the story and doctors came back the
    next morning. please if it's possible change your location, you have been doing a great job but frankly I'm getting tired of hearing about shortage of supply and not hearing about what is going on at the airport.

January 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Lori

@Judy S. I am sorry.

January 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Danielle north

Why do the American aid ships out at sea not take some of the people to other ports?

January 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  27. gretchen

Why can't helicopters find out where the doctors are on the ground and parachute medical supplies to where the doctors are.I know why there is such a problem with the security issue,you have to be careful in reporting isolated incidents because people already have preconceived notions about haiti,so the story headlined "looting frenzy" just made things worse. Even on the streets of america without a disaster there is crime,looting car jacking etc.So in the face of that horrible disaster looting is the least one should be concerned with.

January 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Matt

Haiti Relief Too Slow
    Anderson: Keep pressing on the slow relief. If anything, raise the volume on the sense of urgency. You are doing great, but. don't sugar coat It anymore. People are dying unnecessarily. Keep them honest AC! They need you. Raise the volume of urgency. Still falling on deaf ears.

January 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Susan

I would like to know if there is anything that we at home can do to get the medical supplies moving in faster than they are. Who should we call? Can we help, or is it out of our hands completely?

January 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Another great report by Ivan Watson! What an advantage he has to be able to directly communicate with the Haitian people in their native language.

January 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  31. amy

AC,
    Can you explain to us why they will not let more dr's and volunteers in?
    What does it take to help?

January 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Maggie B

What I want to know who is in charge? My understanding is that the USA has control of the airport. But who is in charge of the distribution? The UN ought to hang their head in shame for their ineptness and procedures. Security details!! Give me a break. If the earthquake happened in another country that wasn't as poor or black as Haiti the aid and medical response would be much quicker.

January 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Julie

Thank you, Anderson, for emphasizing the peacefulness of the people–and the seemingly senseless slowing of aid due to a perceived need for security.

Please keep humanizing this story–and thanks for not going for drama at the expense of the people there.

Kudos to Sanjay, too!

January 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  34. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Isabel-Brazil

This is the question i have asked for several nights now. Is this "politics"??!

Are the Haitian President and the Ministers involved with any of this? Or are they standing in the way?

Im no trying to be rude to the Haitain Gov., but if they cannot help, get out of the way and let someone take charge and get things moving. No one is trying to take over their country!

January 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Laurie Toronto, Canada

Thank God you guys finally said your peace about the security nonsense that the military/UN are giving us about getting supplies out! I am so proud of Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta for voicing their opinion about the situation. It's been way too long now and my empathizing has changed to frustration with their stalling. I wish I had the power to push them all the way to you guys on the front lines, so to speak. Keep up the excellent work! Bless you and all of Haiti. xo

January 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  36. michael armstrong sr. TX.

How about Hurricane season coming up is Haiti going to be ready for that .

January 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  37. Judy S. (Midwest)

I donated money towards the Haitian disaster. I've been trying to volunteer to go to Haiti. According to websites for humanitarian work you have to have training. Training for what....I can hand out food and water...I'm 63 years old so I'm mature....and as far as disaster relief training I raised 3 children to adulthood....I worked in a nursing home for 5 1/2 years....what other training do I need? Ridiculous!!!

January 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  38. david

Anderson, I think you doing amazing coverage of Haiti. For four days, I've heard about supplies and food not getting to the people, that everything is bottlenecked at the airport.....ridiculous . I have one question, why don't you take your camera crew to the airport and find out and expose the reasons why the supplies are not getting to the people. Lets get these poor people healed and fed.

January 20, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  39. holly

why can't we build a tent hospital like the Israeli doctors? Can't we learn a lesson? They have xrays, computers, all sorts of medical supplies. Are we spending too much time on regulations? How sad.

January 20, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Debbie, Austin, TX

God bless Dr Gupta!

January 20, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Ana

Keep up the good work, Anderson, and please continue your reporting on the lack of adequate medical supplies, medication, equipment in Haiti. Fyi, tonight the NYTimes has an article about the untreated illness and injury in Haiti, but it took them 8 days to run that story, whereas you've been talking about it for days. All of you on the AC360 team are saving lives by focusing the world's attention to this unconscionable, unacceptable situation, and we thank you for that.

January 20, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Matt

Haiti Relief Too Slow
    Anderson: Keep pressing on the slow relief. If anything, raise the volume on the sense of urgency. You are doing great, but don't sugar coat it anymore. People are dying unnecessarily. Expose the

January 20, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Jennifer, Canada

Anderson – As always, congratulations on your informative, in-depth and, most importantly, humane reporting.

Despite the strong media presence on the ground, it is flabbergasting to see how very little VALUABLE information is provided by most networks.

Thank you for putting a human face to the story, without the sensationalism.

January 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Jackie

Scott Brown argued in his debate that healthcare reform at the federal level would increase insurance premiums in Massachusetts and Coakley never countered that it might possibly lower insurance premiums! She responded as though healthcare in Mass. had been reformed and was in great shape!!!

January 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Heather - Spokane, WA

I cant say I blame those people for setting off on those boats. They are in a place that has nothing now and cannot get any help. I think I would do the same thing in their place, go where I can get help

January 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Adrienne

am so worried-where is all the money we r sending going? why isn't our gov't demanding better care for these poor people-praying for all-God bless anderson cooper and sanja gupta and all

January 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Sher

Can someone tell me who is in charge of this country and this humanitarian effor? This sounds like too much buracracy and people are dieing.

January 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  48. A. Smith, Oregon

Shame on the people of America for not holding American lawmakers accountable for the hundreds of millions of dollars in economic aid to Haiti the past 10 years and not having emergency medicine, medical supplys and water stockpiles anywhere in Haiti for emergencys like this!

January 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Cara Gardner

I'm so glad you are mentioning now that there isn't any real security threat to relief personnel. However I have to say that it was your main story for a few days: the coverage of looting and "gangs" etc. From the viewers point of view it looked scary and dangerous. Please illustrate the peaceful nature of the Haitians on your show so viewers can see the truth of what you're saying.
    I've heard relief hasn't arrived in some cases on the island because of fear of security issues. Where is this news coming from?
    SF Bay Area

January 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Emily

Great story here by Ivan Watson! YAY!

So glad to see that little girl again and her mother!
    She is so cute and they look so happy!

Two happy stories.