January 20th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/20/10

Eight days after the quake hit, another survival is found alive in Haiti. And, desperate to leave. See how some Haitians are trying to escape Port-au-Prince. Plus, the raw politics of the GOP Senate victory in Massachusetts. What does it mean for the Democrats seeking health care reform?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. linda

Why are they not using more helicopters and air transport to take supplies that are backed up from the airport to the people?

How can we in the states help to get the ball going and have supplies delivered?

January 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Debbie, Austin, TX
    Good point. They would to assistant other doctors, but Dr. Sanjay Gupta willing to help the victim people after earthquake. He is doing good job to help them right away.

January 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  3. LisaL - Canada

wyclef jean was on oprah today speaking about the continuing crisis in haiti - there were musical performences of hope, redemption and inspiration performed by rihanna and maxwell - it was very moving - there is an inexplicable power in music

January 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Isabel - Brazil •

@Anderson and 360 team

I read "Haiti plans massive evacuation of quake-hit homeless". Is this fact? This is a good solution?

January 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Julie Larson

This is absurd! It would likely be cheaper & more efficient to provide a round trip ticket for the injured to safe, fully equipped hospitals & supplies than the supplies & hospitals to the injured in an unstable environment. It makes much more sense to quickly fly-out & disperse critical patients to medical facilities – For heaven's sake, if necessary, post a couple of 24 hour security guards to monitor they don't escape into the abyss... Even if they ALL did stay in the host country once healed – with all of the illegal aliens in the US alone, would it make much of a statistical difference if they did stay? HELP THESE PEOPLE!!! Human rights & compassion should not require a passport & visa!

January 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Debbie, Austin, TX

Sheryl Horne's husband has a great idea – Why can't the cruise ships pull into port and temporarily house and feed the thousands of homeless? THEY were able to dock!

January 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Andrew

It is heart wrenching to watch the people in Haiti suffer ... the story of the medical supplies is so frustrating ... why can't they use helicopters to ferry medical supplies from the airport to the hospitals ... poor relief planning and execution! Who is in command of relief operations here ...

January 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Paula, Colorado

I know the situation is overwhelming, but Haiti needs some clear leadership.

January 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Steven S

Thanks for the story about the doctors and nurses supply dilemma; I hope your report gets attention immediately by those in charge of that airport and distibution of much needed medical supplies! It's ridiculously inept and inexcusable.

January 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Can't they air drop med supplies to this hospitals or field hospitals?

Don't they have roads open enough to get stuff in yet?

The airport should be planes landing and unloading, reloading with outbound people and taking off so the strip is open for the next plane.

People wishing to come in should hook up with inbound aid plane for a seat, not a separate plane to come in.

Help these people please.

January 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Brandy

These people are unbelievable...with all the money donated they should be picking up supplies by helicopter from the tarmac and dropping them at the hospitals. They have no organization there and do not know where to start. People are dying every minute while they try to figure out what to do.

January 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Diana

I know you guys get NO Canadian news but I want to say that my country is also doing amazing work and going to neglected places like Jaceml. I am very proud of the prompt action our troops and personnel have taken.

Does any one know how that elderly woman is doing? I have been thinking about her all day.
    I still cry thinking about that poor 11 year old girl who didn't make it.......

January 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Emily

@Anderson,

That was a beautiful scene! 🙂
    I'm glad that you shared that with us.
    I'm happier that YOU were able to see this! It's good that you are seeing positive upbeat moments like that. This can't be easy for you, and the others. I hope that you are all okay.

January 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Haiti is descending into a mob.

January 20, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  15. starr formerly known as vincent

@All Bloggers:

Since no one with any power seems to be listening, i propose that the AC 360 blog email and/or call our Rep', senators, the state dept., FEMA, the pentagon and any other Fed. Dept. that would be appropriate to take some kind of ACtion to get these supplies moving in Haiti!

This is the only action i can think of where WE, the blog, might be able to help.

January 20, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  16. jal

Please do a story on why supplies are not leaving the airport.
    How much is due to accountability, traceability.
    Getting a signature of a responsible person receiving the supplies.
    jal

January 20, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Sharon McKenzie

Anderson, You are such a wonderful humanitarian. I have been watching CNN because of you. God bless you and keep you safe while you report back to us what's going on in Haiti. It means so much more because I know you don't have to.

January 20, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Lisa Smith

People are going to stop sending donations in if they dont see more aid soon. Where is the money going ? This is confounding .

January 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Colleen

I live in Guyana...the seond poorest nation in the western hemisphere...don't have much to offer but are donating whatever we can raise as a country...and I just want to say to AC, Dr. Gupta and the rest of hardworking reporters...thank god for u...for your help because if anything like that happened to us...we would want you to tell our stories ...we are poor but is donating what we can for Hati...Anderson, you have always been my hero...Katrina, Iraq and the bit about "keeping them honest"

January 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Claire Ellman

Anderson, Thank you for al YOUR efforts.

PLease tell me where is the President?? We saw him at the airport on day one with Sanjay complaining that his palace was damaged and since then – NO word!!!

Also is there a Haitian army and police force – if so where are they?
    Maybe they are with their injured families? If not have they run away?

January 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  21. edgardo- jacksonville,fl

hey, mr.cooper what happen to the boy that you saved a couple of days ago during the riot.

January 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Isabel - Brazil •

@starr

"Is anyone who has some power listening??!!"

I agree with you, but I think a very complicated situation because the friendly nations can not take the sovereignty of the Haitian government, but the Haitian government is lost!

January 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Emily

@Valerie & Isabel,
    It's very frustrating! Seeing the heat that they are in; the fact that they are not getting proper treatment or anything even close to it....or even the medication! I hope that the little 5 year old boy will be a happy survival case.

January 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Craig P

To AC, Dr. Gupta and both of your teams – excellent work you guys – way above the call of duty – Pulitzers/Emmys would do no justice for what you have been doing. Just wondering how long do you plan on staying in country? Be safe – keep up the outstanding work.

January 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Melissa

Are any aid agencies able to get their supplies delivered to the Haitian people? Or is everything stuck at the port and airport? Need to know which agency to donate to (have already donated to a few but looking for some for immediate impact).

January 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Kathy Chicago

AC, you and Dr G have raised great questions this week about airport access and supplies. Did we ever find out who is in charge? I missed yesterday-medical procedure. I'd be happy to send all my Dr's down to Haiti!

January 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Lori

Dr. Gupta is definitely in his own league: one step above MD and one step below super hero.

January 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kathy Chicago
    Yes, They are.

@Isabel
    I agree with you..... Take a long time for now, they are so slow response to help people there.. I agree.... that is so absurd.... take around one year at least.

January 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Dr and Mrs Kip Patterson

Dear AC,
    Larry told about a Nursing Home that is in dire straights.
    I want to help! Immediately.
    We live in Raleigh and I will raise money and or get things they need but want it to go directly to them. Can you help? Or even point me in a direction that would help.
    My husband is a Dr here and I have worked as an Exec Director in health care. I want whatever I initiate and do to go directly to them. It is deplorable what they are going through. Please let me know whatever you can. I will move heaven and earth to get this help to them.
    I know you have a million things to do. Please respond if you can.
    Katannya Patterson

January 20, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Sherry Townsend

Hiya Anderson from New York State. I want to know if they found anybody where they were showing the four dogs with hits that there were live people earlier today. Was there anybody else found alive today besides the 5 year old boy. I feel so bad for what is going on there in Hati. I can not imagine.

January 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Isabel - Brazil •

@Anderson

I agree with you – completely.

January 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Sheryl Horne

Anderson,

As we watch the devastation in Haiti, my husband had a fabulous idea. Why can't the cruise ships pull into port and temporarily house and feed the thousands of homeless? They also could provide medical care and pain relief by having Dr.s and medical supplies on board. This idea seems too simple and I just hope there is a logical explanation as to why these floating hotels can't assist in terrible tragedies. By the way, you are doing an extraordinary job reporting on this which shows your professionalism as well as your compassion.
    Thank you for all that you are doing to bring attention to Haiti when they need it the most.

January 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  33. LisaL - Canada

has anyone looked into whether or not there are other alternate landing areas near any other populated areas? perhaps an alternate distribution route from another direction should be looked at (didn't they get someone out of a building by going around to the other side and taking a different approach?)

January 20, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Emily

"Suffering Survivors"
    What an appropriate title to this piece. What these people have survived is great – and now to see the suffering that they are going though...it's heart-breaking.

January 20, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Isabel - Brazil •

These people are in the sun, in the heat ... nonsense!

January 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Valerie NYC

It´s shocking! I am so angry!! This is absolutely absurd!!! I am so angry! and frustrated. And if weren´t for AC and team we wouldn´t get to see how things really are down in Haiti! Who is going to put an end to this? Who is going to control this disaster? Who is going to stop the killings?

January 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Debbie, Austin, TX

How come Sanjay Gupta can get in and other doctors can't?!

January 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  38. starr formerly known as vincent

Again, i remain absolutely Astonished at the complete Lack of medical people and more importantly SUpplies!

AC60 has broadcast this for days. Is anyone who has some power listening??!!

I simply can't believe this!

January 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  39. David, Indiana

250,000 injured. Yes as Ivan Watson noted last night in his conversation with you that would overwhelm the medical facilities in any city or area with the same population anywhere in the world.

The Health Care discussion need to connect with the public. With legislation passed in the House and Senate much is accomplished. Maybe there is more work to do.

January 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  40. Charlene Mottler

Anderson and Sanjay,
    in addition to the personal heartbreak for the Haitian people, I am deeply saddened over the reduction in Haiti coverage on the major news websites and broadcasts in recent days. Updates and video clips are greatly reduced which seems to reflect what correspondents refer to as Americans short attention span.
    So, so very sad. The story has only just begun.
    Thank you for your quick response, personal contributions, and brave coverage of the horror unfolding in Haiti. You are a rare breed, and treasure. Thank you for going where others fear to go and for your commitment to keeping them honest.
    Be well, Be Safe

January 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Isabel - Brazil •

This is so absurd! There is a disorder!
    Everyone is so lost!

January 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Lori

Gloves are a basic. It is hard to contemplate the pain that those surgery patients are in. Ouch.

January 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Adelaide

Rather than concentrate on "rebuilding Haiti", President Préval and his cabinet should be concentrating on the immediate needs of the people such as medical supplies and so on.

January 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Kathy Chicago

This isn't the first earthquake to ever hit a nation. You'd think that people would know what is needed. Medical supplies, water and doctors should be first.

January 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  45. michelle

God I feel helpless. They are going to die!!!!!!

January 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Alyssa G., CO

I'm curious where the money that is being raised is going to go, will it go to relief groups, the Haitian gov, or just going to hand it out to people

P.S. Is there a way for me to see this program online? I don't get cable and the only part of Anderson's program I get is the podcasts

January 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Jenniffer

The US army needs to do something about getting the aid to people if the UN and haitian government is not doing anything about. What is wrong with people? GET THE SUPPLIES TO THE SICK PEOPLE!!!

January 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Sara, Tampa FL

Dear God where are the medical supplies?

January 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Debbie, Austin, TX

I can't overemphasize the significance of CNN's coverage of he Haiti events. Your hard work has helped mobilize the world to action. I so appreciate your commitment to stepping back and letting the story tell itself. You all are the heroes!

January 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Paolo

Seeing what's going on in Haiti makes me feel blessed for the medical system where I am from that this is something we can't take for granted. I just feel sorry that even the bare bone medical supplies can't be given.

January 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm |