January 20th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/20/10

Eight days after the quake hit, another survival is found alive in Haiti. And, desperate to leave. See how some Haitians are trying to escape Port-au-Prince. Plus, the raw politics of the GOP Senate victory in Massachusetts. What does it mean for the Democrats seeking health care reform?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

We must keep in mind that there is no real communication going on in Haiti. Someone has to go from hospital to hospital, and find out what do the hospitals need. They need supplies and equiments for the hospital and food and water for the patients.

January 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Emily

@ Chaney, La.

"Is'nt it a fact that Mass. Independent voters are the ones who elected Brown?"

I think that there are many more Independent voters than what people think...I think I heard that 60% of those born in 1974 and after are registered Independents.
    There is not an "Independent" Party however. These voters will vote for the person, not the 'party' itself. or send a message to the current Party in power.

January 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Isabel - Brazil •

@Megan

And then how will the Haitians?
    The estimate to rebuild the city is absurd.

January 20, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Kitty

We've been watching your coverage of Haiti every night. We were wondering regarding ..is there someone who is in charge of what is going to be going on in a week (ie body clean-up); in a month...in 3 months...etc. Are there people who are thinking about those things now and are they different from those people who are handling things now? Is anyone being proactive?

January 20, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Lyn

Can they get medical supplies from point to point like passing a torch in a relay to get them to medical treatment areas?

January 20, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Lisa

Anderson, your coverage from Haiti is remarkable!! I admire you for your courage and honesty. God bless you and everyone in Haiti. 🙂

January 20, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Annie Kate

Watching the reports about medical aid being in short supply and not being able to get there is frustrating – I think about all the dollars that have been donated by people and the help it pays for can't get there and is so disorganized people are dying because of it. When people are dying saying that the effort is hard to coordinate just doesn't cut it.

January 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Isaac

Still, as the hours pass and 20,000 are passing away every day, I'm wondering what role is the Dominican Republic playing? Can anyone tell me? Why aren't the children being flow out to medical centers there or to shalter there? Aren't they located right next door?

January 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  9. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi all, sorry i am late....

@ Hope Orphanage- ami- Is there anything we on the blog can do to help with the 20 little girls.
    If we write or call the State Dept. would that help?

Is there ANYthing that any one of us can do to help you and the girls??

January 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  10. amy

I heard that the Comfort Hospital arrived early this morning and I also heard it was at its full capacity already in less than 24hours. Is this true?

January 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

I can obnly imagine how many people there in Port Au Prince now have PTSD from all of the awful earthquakes they have been having the past week. Just hearing about how people reacted to the one this morning just tells of how many may have it

January 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Kathy Chicago

Wow, we have the whole crew, even Wolf tonight!

January 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Molly,
    Yes, she was..... She died last Thursday after she was rescued from the building. her leg was so severe bad, the doctors couldn't make for her.... too far for her.

January 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Steven S

Hey Anderson ! Once again thanks so much for the news out of Haiti, relieved the cnn team is still intact and reporting the latest. Already tired of the Senator Brown story, during those segments on 360 I'm watching the old film 'Mr Smith Goes to Washington' for a glimpse into the future rather than listening to the 'best political teams' rehashing of what may happen. Stay safe!

January 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Veronica Ann

Hi Anderson! Have you been in contact with any Geoscientists to get a scientist's perspective on the aftershocks in order to determine the best strategy to evacuate the people to safer regimes? Also, why can't we utilize thermal scans (ie: from satellites or aircraft) to help find the living in the rubble???

January 20, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  16. LisaL - Canada

is it ironic that i was crawling into a safe, warm bed at almost the same time the aftershock was causing further distress to so many? i suppose it is a reminder to be thankful

January 20, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Isabel - Brazil •

@ David, Indiana

My brother was commenting today on the earthquake in Mexico in 1985. Babies were rescued after seven days

January 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  18. jack

curious about all the money being raised, why oh why do we need cash, why don't companies that own gas , water kits even medical DONATE supplies. why are people making profits from this nightmare,

January 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Becky Cochran

It is so frustrating to sit and watch the lack of medical care each night..things that are so basic to all of us in the US. I work at a level one trauma center, and am apalled that the medical care is so poor! Seeing those people dying from the lack of basic treatment is unconscionable...because of bureaucracy and ridiculous restrictions thousands of medical professionals cannot get there to help!

January 20, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Jane

If the Governor of PA was able to get a private plane, bring down supplies and bring back 54 orphans then why can we not get medical supplies and food OFF the tarmac at the airport to the doctors that need them? We can raise millions but it has to get the people now.
    Anderson, go challenge some of those in charge at the airport and save some more lives.

January 20, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  21. A. Smith, Oregon

Why are only American's being flow out by helicopter to off shore surgical trauma centers leaving thousands of Haitians with similar injurys laying in parking lots and outside dieing in the sun?

January 20, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  22. michelle

As A Vietnam veteran I worry for the PTSD of the whole nation of Haiti and of those who are there caring.
    Anderson is this generation's Pearl Bailey.

January 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  23. April Helm

Is there going to be a PUBLIC out-cry for taking in these Haitian Orphans. There are thousands of middle class American families that would be willing to adopt or provide homes for these orphans. We need to know what to do .... WE WANT TO HELP!! We need direction on where to START.

January 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Jen R

The republicans have been completely obstructionist. Obama has been trying so hard to be nice and make republicans happy that he has been losing the support of liberals and hurting his own agenda, but it has been a waste because the republicans are only interested in attaining power and control themselves not cooperation and compromise for the good of the country and unity.

January 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Chaney, La.

Is'nt it a fact that Mass. Independent voters are the ones who elected Brown? if they had all swung over and supported the Dem. they lose, Brown ran a smart campaign . The Haitian coverage has been very good.. such a sad situation.

January 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  26. charlie

Healthcare is a large portion of most countries ecomonies although usually only half the % of the US, Why? because only America views heathcare as an industry on par with making cars. Healthcare provision is an essential function of any government. They may use private providers, but hownever it is provided it is a tax on the productive industry of the nations. US chooses to pay double the levi of any other country.

January 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Debbie, Austin, TX

Roland Martin is awesome!

January 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Gerard Mc Ardle, Drogheda & Belfast, Ireland

Hi Anderson & all the team...you're doing Broadcasting proud.

My take on this whole eight days...is that it has been more a failure than a success...I already wrote tons of my disgust at the many failings, especially in regards to the medicine lapse...it's so serious that heads should roll at the UN in the weeks, month's ahead...I also think there should be counsellor's there to deal with the trauma & shock & horrific experiences those people felt after now (2) major earthquakes.

So I say to end; it has been aid wise & medicine foolish!

January 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Terra

Anderson, we have been following you and the reports of the many children with no families. My heart is breaking for those children. Have there been any idea what they will do with those children left with no one? My husband and I would love to come to Haiti and take one home with us to be a part of our family. Do you know if that is a possibility? Thank you for your honest reporting!

January 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Erika P - Pottsville PA

Kudos to you Anderson for your heroics in Haiti. I was extremely moved when watching the footage of you last night helping the injured boy . Keep up the great work and thank you for your amazing unbiased coverage!

January 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Jami

Hope Orphanage is an orphanage in Haiti run by Tim and Toby Banks. They have 20 little girls that this morning the US embassy gave permission for them to come to the US on a 2 year humanitarian parole. After they put all the girls on the bus and headed for the airport the US decided to take back the permission they had already given! They had spent 10 hours at the Haitian embassy completing the necessary paperwork to leave with 20 excited girls. Now instead of putting them in a comfortable 4 bedroom house in Ohio they want to send them to a one bedroom apartment in Port- au -prince where the death toll is rising! HELP!!!

January 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Sara, Tampa FL

@Deana We are playing God nomatter how we get involved. it is peoples lives. I am thankful I am not the one who has to make the decisions.

It is true however, nomatter how much we send we can't save everyone. God forgive anyone who knowingly withholds the resources needed

January 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Sara

I have been to Haiti twice and while I truly understand the frustration of not being able to get help to the Haitian people as quickly as we would like it does not help to sensationalize this issue. When you say people are dying unnecessarily, guess what they were dying unneccessarily before the earthquake too. Both terribly tragic. The only difference is that many didn't care or take notice before the earthquake. Haiti is a complicated place, where things do not happen as they do in fast paced America. Can you please focus on how to improve our efforts rather than sensationalize and criticize. It does not help the Haitian people and God knows they need our help more than ever. Please, surely you have fallen in love with the Haitian people as I have. Thank you.

January 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Isabel,
    He is staying in Haiti this week before he come back soon.

January 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Debbie, Austin, TX

Have to agree with Kristin McChesney – it's a difficult jump from Haiti to the senate race. Might seem less odd if Anderson didn't have to enter the senate commentary at all.

January 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Emily

@michelle,

"Today I was wondering if CNN staff could be nominated for the "Heros" award."

I was thinking about this question also last week when Anderson said that he & the rest of them were going to be staying there for another week!
    It's a great question. The work that they have been doing there makes them "Heroes" to me, and I am not of Haitian background so I have no bias here.

January 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

Anderson, I share the same frustration you have. You would think that since they have so many people there to help and they have so many supplies that the people of Port Au Prince need right now, that they would be doing everything imagineable to get those supplies out to everyone instead of 'planning out their strategy'. The military has so much access to all terrain vehicles and various maps of the surrounding areas that they would have been there already by now

January 20, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Molly

@Emily, yes! That might be more than a miracle.

January 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  39. A. Smith, Oregon

Why are NONE of the field doctors working in the portable hospitals on the ground in Haiti reporting they received any donated Antibiotics, Painkillers and Plasma kits which they are out of and desperate to receive? Big Pharma websites are touting they have freely given and distributed loads of free drugs to the Haitian relief organizations and MD's in the field. REALLY? Where are they? Where is the ACCOUNTABILITY?

January 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

May someone would has to represent the hospital that one service, and go and get the supplies that the hospital needs from the airport.

Hospitals workers go to the airport and get the supplies which are needed at the hospitals!

January 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Kristin mcchesney

We have heard that the Comfort arrived earlier today. Has it started to respond? Do we have a story coming on this?

January 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  42. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, everyone. Thank God for the rescue of this young child, a little boy who possibly has lost his mother and father. Do rescues like this get the teams to review how long a time they have to find survivors in the rubble?

Anderson, is the problem resupply or bottlenecks at the pts of supply like the airport? Or ar there not enough supplies (medical) on hand? Is there any delivery of supplies at the port.

January 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Kam

Keep up the Great Reporting Anderson and keep safe!

January 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Deana McConnell

Dear Anderson, I can see it in your eyes. You have almost figured it out. I realized last night, and I have cried. Supplies are sitting, because some-
    one has decided who is better off dying. I call it selective genocide, and it hurts me that my country would engage in it.

January 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Kristine Quandee

It's really getting beyond any resonable explanation...
    Why the "bleep" can't they just drop/lower the medical supplies right in front of these hospitals or medical tent sites by helicopter? Hello?! People are dying here and don't need to! Do something!

January 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Emily

@David Gergen,

with what Obama just told George S. in that interview is what he said he would do when he went to Washington! (work & listen to both parties).

I hope that he is going to be transparent too.

January 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Billy Fagan

I have an idea. All of the rubble in Haiti is going to be a problem. I propose that we transport it just off shore and build one huge artificial reef. If it's done right it will be another line of defense against the inevitable hurricane that will come (Storm surge), it will support many species of marine life, boost ecotourism (scuba diving, snorkeling), and be something they can be proud of. It's a win win situation for all involved. This is a plan for the long term. There is a lot of work yet to be done. If this does come to fruition I would love to be a part of it.

January 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Sara, Tampa FL

I would like to know what percentage of Americans have no option for healthcare; I make very little and pay for mine. It isn't great healthcare but it's what I can get. Not everyone makes 100k. I also feel that I am not ill or dealing with natural disaster so I should count my blessings either way. But I have something

January 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Vince

A true survivor! Can you imagine a 5 year old enduring this for 8 days> it makes you wonder what was going through his mind. The little man has great spirit! God bless him and grant him speedy recovery.

January 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Marie

Hello Anderson, I want to thank you for everything you have done for us in haiti especialy when you when you save that 10 yrs old boy thank you. Please say thank you to Ivan and Dr. Gupta.

I love you Guys.