January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Lori,

"I find it suprising that there are so many orphanages in Haiti."

I was surprised about that myself. Why are there so many orphans there?

January 18, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Marijana

It is also disturbing that people who physically want to help and be deployed to Haiti to help the people on the ground have to be members of international organizations which have unrealistic expectations and ask for extensive qualifications before a person can be deployed. Why can’t ordinary people be deployed who are able to help immediately? If it is an issue of not wanting to risk lives, let the people decide whether they are willing to lay down their lives for others who are hurting badly. Is there any organization in the US and Canada that allows ordinary people to be deployed, without extensive training or qualifications? How much training does a person need to hand out food and water, and make beds, wash clothes? By the time all the “red tape” of these organizations and the various countries’ bureaucratic issues are dealt with, 1,000’s more of people will die.

January 18, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  3. margo

following CNN news coverage nonstop since the earthquake hit Haiti. The first couple of days, I was patient but now, Day Six, I am extremely frustrated. Too much beauracracy! Loading up vans with antibiotics, needles, etc. seems so do-able. keep on "keeping them honest". this is so much worse than the Katrina debacle. and where's Pres. Preval? Pathetic. Still, I donated to Doctors Without Borders but not the Red Cross!

January 18, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Michelle

Thank you AC for bringing this to the light. My family and I love you. Be safe!

January 18, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Jacqueline, NY

Oh,what great news about the children. Praise God! I wish them all God Speed!

Excellent work Mr. Tuckman

January 18, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Linda

The violence is understandable given the days since they have not had any food or water, or very little. I too want to know about the two young women from Pittsburgh and their Orphanage, but more I want to know about Alexander (?) I think? The parents that were on early on, and were describing what he was doing with his shirt, and pulling his ear. WHY wasn't HE on that plane with the other orphans last night? I sit and watch, sooooooooo frustrated, and keep asking my former Marine hubby, WHY can't they get supplies there quicker and WHY isn't anything organized better by now?????

January 18, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The babies need formulas, food and water. Ask the Red Cross for their assistance! What's the problem?

January 18, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Molly

Thank you Gary Tuckman for calling attention to the orphans. I'm sure your report was instrumental in getting those 6 children to their adoptive families. The kids seemed to like you and you were good with them.

January 18, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Farah, NJ

Thank you so much Anderson for still being there. Again, thank you for the amazing reporting. I was glad that you cleared for all who were watching that the looting was not everywhere. Bill Clinton, himself said from his own observations that given the conditions, the country was pretty calm.

January 18, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Isabel - Brazil •

@ Gary Tuchman

You still surrounded by love! What sweet child in your arms!

January 18, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Deniece

Anderson, I Love you and what you are doing but can you rally some agencies to help more? It's taking too long to get the people help, water, food & medical supplies. I mean put more effort into really trying to save lives. By any means necessary, would you wantany less? We're watching all of this play out on the television and all I see is alot of suppose to be aids/helper walking around with either guns or their heads up their rears.Like they are scared of these people. They dont need guns they need help food, water, etc. Spend the search and rescue efforts out to the other areas of Haiti, out side of Port Au Prince. God help you and those really trying to aids The Haitians.

January 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Patti

Anderson Cooper you are my hero.

January 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  13. ELAINE

Anticipating the trauma, I offered to our (Canada's) Red Cross to go with them so I could use my people skills to help the Haitian people one on one. I know some french & could communicate and sympathize to those who need it or distribute water & food.....etc. I was turned down re no Red Cross training. OK. I noticed that the first search & rescue people kept going to the UN bldg & the Hotel where a no. of americans stayed. This I also understand. I dont understand however why I kept hearing about the great donations right up till today,day 6, and yet they STILL are desparate for MEDICAL supplies to save those who were pulled out instead of them dying AND food & water, food & water. Planes boats & Helicopter are there.Bad roads or not , there are Some open ones. ISRAELset up an OPERATING room WI SUPPLIES DAYS AGO!.. Survivors that get there dont die. Doctors ordered to walk away at nite lvg 25 victims lying in pain etc needing operations etc. One doc in chge all nite. In the morning the story changes & they return. Yes it had been on tv, I wud return too. There is $ for cleanup & building.

January 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Richard Bradley LPN

For days now I sit and wait for someone somewhere to ask on television calling for voluntier nurses & doctors who are ready willing and able to go to Hati but it never comes??? Why is this?? I'm an Licensed Practical Nurse in Florida and a new US citizen give me a call I'll go!

January 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Jane - Vt

I love Gary Tuchman's story. One bright spot in all of this.

January 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  16. martina

Thank you Anderson. I love you for the work you do.
    I do not know why its taking so long for meds, water and food to arrive. Tell them no more meetings and donuts, just let the worker bees do the work they know how to do. We dont need no stinking plans or assessments the first 72 hrs of an emergency. That should be made a law.

January 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Janet

Anderson – I am touched every night by your broadcast, but I am worried about you and the rest of the newscrew – you guys look more tired and more worn out as this Haiti crisis continues. Please take care of yourselves – we need you to keep on keeping them all honest!

January 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Eugenia - San Francisco

it's heart breaking when you know you can't save everyone

January 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  19. SandyV

Come on Aid organizations! Assessment teams? People are dying in the meantime! Basic supplies are needed, water, food, urgent medical supplies and surgical field hospitals. in 6 days a lot of people could have been saved, beyond frustrating! People are giving money much faster than the aid organizations seem to be doing their jobs. Days have been wasted! Who’s in charge here? I am disgusted by the comments of Winnie Romeril, Red Cross Volunteer on Larry King's 2 hr special! please make sure you get hold of them. Thank you so much Anderson Dr. Gupta and your production team for your amazing work and compassion! You deserve all the recognition in the world.

January 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  20. EmmaLee

I bet there are a lot of people like me who are frustrated by the lack of help and would head that way in a second. I'm not a doctor, but I could at least monitor patients and give water and food and clean people up. I know, added feet on the ground without logistical support would be more trouble than it's worth, but it's still so frustrating to see this happening.

January 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Valerie Paul-Emile

After seing how Anderson helped that boy......if u pay close attention their was a UN guy in full gear, mask gloves and all he stepped back and Anderson with no gloves nothing picked that boy up bleeding and all....If anything now thats what make me proud to be an Haitian-American.... Thank you Anderson we need more of human being like you in our world and may be then this world will be a better place.......

January 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  22. M Whale

Where is the leadership ?....... Get the men of Haiti up in a line , one by one, from the airport and the port and have them help their people by lining up and passing the food and water into town in a line one man by one man(similar to what our military does) ...... they don't need us as much as they need to help themselves and their people.... don't save them....Help them by putting them to work to save themselves! (or out of desperation they will loot etc) Then we are really helping! With love and concern for Haitians! A Concerned American

January 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Anna Burke

Firstly, well done Anderson for helping that boy with the head injury. I don't think he knew where he was. It's so devastating to watch.
    Second...those in charge of these huge charities should all be sacked. They have NO IDEA what it's like to be without , and have no empathy. They afforded themselves procrastination, and in doing so cost the lives of many. Shame on them! I'd like to drop them all in the worst affected area of Haiti and leave THEM with nothing, just as they did to the Haitian people. They are less than useless!

January 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Devna AC360°

Stay tuned – another full hour of AC 360° live from Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  25. ronald

can not the US marines create security for food distribution handouts by aid agencies?
    Have you had any police units show up at the airport within the last 24 hours to give security for food and water handouts?
    How about yourselves at CNN hiring some of those 50 percent unemployed Haitians to become security?
    Where are the drug companies?

January 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Amy Lowell

Hey Anderson bravo on a great job over there in haiti. Just wanted to let you know little media is being shined on the National nurses united we have over 10,000 nurses volunter to come to haiti. Hoping you can spread the word that Nurses throughout the US are ready to help the sick and wounded,,Thank amy

January 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Seeing all those orphaned babies is saddening and yet they are so dang cute! My prayers are with them and the women taking care of them to stay resilient and that formula comes soon!

January 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Catherine Wilson

How are the Haitian elderly, Alzheimer's victims, and the disabled, especially mentally disabled, both young and old?

They are so vulernable to begin with. I read of rats eating the diapers of the elderly in a nursing home – they have no diapers and no one to change them.

Anderson – can you report on the elderly and disabled victims to draw attention to their plight? Thank you.

January 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Shanny

How long with the team be reporting from Haiti?

January 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Rebecca

Have you mentioned Operation Blessing? They are helping people with food and medical aid, and were already in place there in Haiti before the earthquake happened. Thank you.

January 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Devna AC360°

I hope all of you have visited cnn.com/impact to see how you can donate your time & money to helping all those in need.

January 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Janel

Why is the focus on what is going wrong? Why can't the focus be how CNN reporters are helping by talking to the agencies stationed at the airport and coordinating with what you're finding. This instead of trying to just report on it and pontificating on why it wasn't done differently; case in point, someone telling Unicef higher ups where Soledad's orphans are, or someone telling the US Military that security is needed at a clinic allowing the dutch to return instead of having Dr Gupta labor alone. Is this "whats not happening" approach for drama or are you guys in fact reporting while communicating to/coordinating with relief agencies. If this is the case, there is a lot for CNN to gain by mentioning your coordination!

January 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Haiti's records may be lost for these adoptions but the receiving country should have records.

This is a good reason to back up to an online system or flash drives.

January 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Barb

I just want to let Anderson know how much I appreciate his questioning of how this relief effort is playing out. I can't believe that water & food packages could not have been dropped from helicopters the day after the earthquake so that people could get some nutrition and feel that help may not be on the ground immediately, but was on the way. After all, Anderson got to Haiti through the DR by way of a helicopter. You have done a wonderful job, Anderson, of showing the frustration that we all feel in watching this (and I, for one, am glued to the news for the past week) – please keep up the good work and keep Haiti on the air

January 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  35. Greg Dryer

To get more western Doctors to Haiti – Anderson and Sanjay – should allocate some media coverage to congratulate those Doctors and the Hospitals and respective countries they represent – who have actually sprung into action – and stepped into the HAitian breech. Hopefully, If the pain and suffering don't get the Doctors down there, then maybe some media notoriety and attention will. Publicity focused on the care givers coupled with a message that its still not enough should bear fruit. Wish I was a Doctor.

January 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Lara of Cape Coral Florida

Words cannot express the gratitude that I feel towards you for what you're doing for my country and my people...I have loved you since you broke teh Niger story and have been your number one fan. My dream is to meet you before I die. But with this tragedy, I have another wish. No one has gone to GONAIVES to check up on the people. That is where most of my family is from. Could you please dispatch a crew there adn help us...Also when you can, join on FB- Anderson Cooper- For Haiti's Official CNn Correspondent...WE LOVE U AC

37. Erica

It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain

Bravo to Anderson Cooper, Dr. Gupta and the CNN crew who know not only how to report the news– but when to put the equipment down and show others in the world the highest standard of man in moral courage. Bravo.

38. Yoledine

I would like to thank Anderson and Sanjay for the news coverage in Haiti. I'm Haitian and it breaks my heart to see this happened to my beloved country. Keep Haiti in your prayers please.

39. Paul Herzig

Thank you Anderson for bring the real human stories good and bad. I am in Texas feeling physically helpless yet in spirit and prayer for you and the CNN teams to continue to bring hope, compassion, and life to the Haitian people you touch.
    Don't Stop!!!

40. Dorrie

I must add thank you Anderson, Dr. Gupta, and CNN for making the world aware of the situation and getting it out there that they need more help. I could only donate $10...I hope somehow that helps. Thank you for being on the frontlines, please be safe and know your limits physically and mentally we do not need more tragedy...your lives are important too! xo

41. Joan, New York City

Your conversation with Sanjay was terrific and, finally, at least some of the anger (yours and his) is coming out. I feel like this is Katrina all over again. It's really time to "keep them honest", Anderson. I find myself wishing someone would just send General Russell Honore in to oversee this disaster. just as he did in New Orleans.

You and the rest of the CNN team are really heroic in your efforts. Stay safe!

42. Marie Falene

I want to thank CNN and all anchors for the work they are doing it is beautiful,I am blessed to have reached some family members< However I ask for prays as my niece is still trapped beneath rubble she is 11 years old and her calls can be heard still but family has no idea how she can be reached,she is on rue Monseugneur Giilloux next to the sanaterium, her name is Gaelle, I ask that if anyone reading can help please do, a life may be saved and if not I ask for prays for anyone who is willing.Thank You and I will continue to pray for all my fellow haitians and there family members

43. Jennifer

Where can we bring baby formula so it gets to Haiti? Anyone? I'm in Connecticut

44. Michael - Ceanside CA

Anderson:
    Thanks for all the good work you are doing with Dr Gupta in Haiti. It’s sad to know that "logistics" that are not necessary are hindering the relief effort. Ad hoc decisions can be taken on the ground in order to save life when necessary. We pray for those who have lost life and the injured.

45. MaryBeth

I have been watching your coverage tonight. My brother, a board certified and trained Emergency Room Physician, has been trying to coordinate arrangements to help in Haiti. He keeps running into roadblocks and red tape. Can you help him? He and another physician are ready to get on a plane as soon as arrangements can be made.

46. Sophia- Illinois

Great job Anderson and Dr Sanjay, as usual!....I'm always glued to CNN.

i share your frustration with the UN and other relief efforts. While I appreciate their good work, I cannot help but be frustrated as to the delay in their efforts. They, by far, should understand how crucial it is to be timely with their rescue efforts. May this tragedy be a lesson to them... Truly tragic that more lives could have been saved.

47. Sabrina in Los Angeles

find the orphanages, delver supplies of diapers, formula, stage 1 and 2 foods and security for them.

Or move them to a safe location (not advised because children don't take to being moved after a traumatic situation. – don't disrupt routine)

48. Linda

You ALL are amazing and phenomenal! Dr. Gupta, there could not be enough thanks given by anyone for all you've done!

January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  49. tom

I believe a crew of skilled and knowledgable construction workers can search and rescue almost as well as the teams there now from fire departments. Would they allow an organized team with tools from Florida to enter and search in these last moments for survivors? I truly believe there are people still alive under the rubble, time is essential.

January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  50. Mike

haiti police need to start arresting the criminals with support of international troops. can then send then to gitmo. very important to start to establish law and order.

January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |